Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eric Berry and Dontari Poe

Either lol. But if I had to choose, it'd be Berry. He is probably the best safety in the league and would give the team a true game changer back there. But I doubt he even gets to free agency.

Poe on the other hand would essentially solidify the NT spot for the Colts, and could make the D line one of the strengths of the team when paired up with a healthy Henry Anderson. I could possibly see Ballard making a run at him if he makes FA. But I don't know though, still lots of time.

I would rather have Poe. Mainly becuz I can't even comprehend KC letting Eric walk. They had conflict last year, but unless they're just dumb how could you let him go. Also becuz Poe is an immediate impact at the POA. With Poe our front 3 is so dirty when healthy, Anderson Poe and ridgeway. Poe's getting doubled but watch how good Anderson and ridgeway will play

I would prefer Berry. He would be an incredible upgrade and provide leadership for the team. That position is undervalued in today's NFL IMHO. Look what happened with the Seahawks when Earl Thomas broke his leg. He is the reason that defensive backfield is so good. He provides that blanket where corners know he has their back. Berry is the same kind of player, and leader. Unfortunately I think Berry is the one who gets franchised or extended long term because safeties make less.

Assuming though Berry and Poe were allowed to hit FA, I would rather have Brandon Williams from Baltimore. He is going to hit FA, he would be cheaper and I believe he has been the better player. Poe was great his rookie year, but since then his play has tailed off a bit. In the end, I would love to have Berry!

We have too many other positions to worry about to be getting a safety worth double digits annually. Nose tackle is more important than safety on this team so I'd go Poe. I'd rather have Brandon Williams though honestly. I'd like to get out of FA with at least a big time pass rusher and nose tackle.

Berry.

If both were equally good at their position relative to the rest of the league, I'd take Poe easily. If Berry was just slighlty better, I'd still take Poe. But I see Berry as about top 5 safety and Poe as maybe top 20 interior defensive lineman. Berry is a great leader too

That's without going into how much they would cost.

I'd go with Poe. I like the positional value better, he'll hopefully be cheaper, and we're close to being okay at safety with Geathers and a re-signing of Butler/Adams. Plus I'd prefer to draft a deep safety. That said, I'd rather have Brandon Williams and I would definitely caution against overpaying for Poe. He should NOT get Damon Harrison money.

Since I live in Kansas City (and my wife is a Chiefs fan) I watched a lot of Chiefs football this year and, of course, listen to local radio and Poe had a very under whelming year this year.  Often times he was more a liability than help a lot of the time.

IN the playoff game against the Steelers he was a non factor when they needed him most.  If the Colts were to sign him, I think they need to assign a maximum weight limit for him.  I bet he was pushing 380-400lbs for most of the season and he just didn't have the same athleticism and explosion has he had in the previous years.