Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bullit Changes mind again after saying wants to return to Indy Now re - adds same qualifier

bayone

Last week Melvin simply stated he now wanted to come back to Indy when months before he had said he couldn't see it

JMV did ask Melvin about those comments, and he also brought up Melvin's much more recent statements that he plans to re-sign with Indy. Melvin's answer does not make me feel very good about his prospects of returning:

JMV: I know in talking with you basically when all this [lockout] got underway, you were somewhat apprehensive in your belief that you were going to be back. Has that feeling changed at all?

Bullitt: Um, I don't know. I feel like it's truly 50-50. Like I said before, I never changed my stance on it. I want to be in Indianapolis, but, it's going to be unrealistic for me to come back unless I have a long term deal.

While he may deserve one last year injuries and fresh memories of Sanders may make The Polians think twice

ARTICLE at bottom has link to full interview of bullitt

My link

I really like Bullitt as Indy's Nickle Safety but as a starting SS in The Cover 2 Defense I believe his defense against the run is somewhat exposed. Don't get me wrong, I want him to return and I know there is clearly not a better option at SS on the current roster...I just feel his strength is against the pass not the run.

I do not know what Bullit has supposedly change his mind on. He has always said he wanted to be a Colt, but that came with a long term deal.

I like Mevlin, but we got to see what is left over after Manning's deal. We are kind of between a rock and hard place though given how thin we are at safety without him. Bethea cannot play two positions and nobody else really makes me have a warm fuzzy feeling.

I don't think there's ever been anything unclear about Bullitt's stance. He wants a long-term deal. That's all that matters. If we won't give it to him, he wants to go somewhere else.

THERE WAS THIS article & PHIL WILSON STATEMENT a few days back

BULLITT Can Apparently Now See Himself Returning To Colts

Posted by bayone on July 5, 2011 at 11:04am in Colts FootballView Discussions

Months ago, Melvin Bullitt said

"I can't see myself coming back (to the Colts) other than with a long-term contract," said Bullitt. "Just to be quite honest, it's business

, Melvin has changed his mind, somewhat:

"I want to play in Indy again. That's what I'm planning on. But the reality is I'm not signed with anyone."

Phil Wilson of the Indianapolis Star recently caught up with Bullitt, along with fellow free agents Charlie Johnson andTyjuan Hagler. Wilson asked them about their free agent status when the lockout ends, and whether or not they want to be with the Colts in 2011.

Other than Bullitt's seeming about-face, nothing in the article is earth-shattering. Charlie wants to play for Indy, and would switch to right tackle or guard. Hagler just seems to want to play again.

Bullitt, meanwhile, said that he feels 'the strongest I've been in two years,' and that he's healed up from knee and shoulder problems. In fact, he's recovered from surgery in which a screw was inserted in the shoulder. Bullitt's had shoulder issues his whole career, and it's those problems which have likely made Bullitt realize he is not going to get a long-term deal with the Colts or any other NFL team.

Safeties with screws in their shoulders typically don't command long-term deals.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/7/5/2259373/melvin-bullitt-can-apparently-now-see-himself-returning-to-colts

To be honest i would love a replacment for Bullit, he is average at best (sorry) but consedering their is hardly going to be Free Agency time and that the FA Safety class is weak, and our SS depth is weak, then say hello to Bullit, starter 2011, unless a UFA comes in

Bullitt is underrated. I would like to see him do a better job of stuffing the run which a SS should be able to do competently, but he has been pretty solid. As was said before me though, he isn't a top 16 safety and I wouldn't mind seeing us bring someone through either free agency (Landry from the Ravens?) or the draft next year to compete with Bullitt.

He's only 26, so if we do resign him I think in time he might be able to become a top 10 safety (Bethea has a better shot though). With him and Bethea in the backfield that arguably is one of the best safety tandems in the league (or atleast could be in a season or two)

He's only 26, so if we do resign him I think in time he might be able to become a top 10 safety (Bethea has a better shot though). With him and Bethea in the backfield that arguably is one of the best safety tandems in the league (or atleast could be in a season or two)

Bullit has a lot of playing time at age of 26. His best game is comming up. He is always around the ball. he just has to be more agressive on run plays. What position does the Thomas kid play?

Bullit has a lot of playing time at age of 26. His best game is comming up. He is always around the ball. he just has to be more agressive on run plays. What position does the Thomas kid play?

If u mean the one on our team that was on IR, hes a CB with some press / man to man coverage skills\

we are quite thin at safety

some say go into g free agency and get 1 of these

Quintin Mikell – previous contract – 4 years, $4.3 million – 2009 cap hit = $1.7 million

Dawan Landry – rumored to be looking for 5 years, $26 million – 2009 cap hit = $5.79 million

Eric Weddle – previous contract – 4 years, $1.68 million – 2009 cap hit = $919k

*Approximate cap hit for starting safeties in 2009 $2-4.5 million

ARTICLE by Coltzilla , a good n blog discuss r the 3 in detail

My link

I don't think there's ever been anything unclear about Bullitt's stance. He wants a long-term deal. That's all that matters. If we won't give it to him, he wants to go somewhere else.

That is my recollection as well. I really don't think he changed his stance whatsoever. He wanted a long term deal then and wants the same right now. Don't blame him one bit.

Would like to see Bullitt back in Indy, he is a very underrated safety just like Bethea. I remember him getting a few game winning interceptions in the last few years so I'd like to see him back.