Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Buddy Ryan passes away at 82

Caleb3502

very sad news.  RIP Buddy.  

I'll never forget the day he took a swing at Kevin Gilbride on the sidelines.  Guess that's one way to handle your OC when you hate his playcalling.  Wow, imagine if that happened last year...Manusky gets so fed up with Pep's playcalling that he actually takes a swing at him. lol

2 hours ago, Jason_S said:

very sad news.  RIP Buddy.  

I'll never forget the day he took a swing at Kevin Gilbride on the sidelines.  Guess that's one way to handle your OC when you hate his playcalling.  Wow, imagine if that happened last year...Manusky gets so fed up with Pep's playcalling that he actually takes a swing at him. lol

Manusky would miss because Pep was so good at going backwards.

Ditka said "How many Super Bowls did Ryan win after they split? None." "How many Super Bowls did I win after we split"? "None". I never liked/admired Ryan because he thought he was the answer when in fact when he walked away from  great defense players he never won. What does that tell you. Few know the he and Ditka almost went fisty with each other and his actions with the Oilers said it all. He won one SB and failed with Houston, Philly and Arizona.

"Football kickers are like taxi cabs. You can always go out and hire another one."

There are elite kickers Buddy. Pat McAfee, Adam Vinatieri, Stephen Gostkowski...

It's not about the car itself Buddy. But rather, how skilled the driver is at beating traffic with the shortest distance to your destination possible. 

Superb athletes are never easily replaceable. I don't care what credentials you have Buddy. 

My sincerest sympathies to Rob, Rex, & other loved ones grieving right now. Your 85 Bears defense was fascinating to watch BTW. 

14 hours ago, southwest1 said:

"Football kickers are like taxi cabs. You can always go out and hire another one."

There are elite kickers Buddy. Pat McAfee, Adam Vinatieri, Stephen Gostkowski...

It's not about the car itself Buddy. But rather, how skilled the driver is at beating traffic with the shortest distance to your destination possible. 

Superb athletes are never easily replaceable. I don't care what credentials you have Buddy. 

My sincerest sympathies to Rob, Rex, & other loved ones grieving right now. Your 85 Bears defense was fascinating to watch BTW. 

He also cut Cris Carter because, "all he does is catch touchdown passes."  I don't think anyone's claiming Buddy was a Rhode's Scholar. :P  He may not have been an offensive or special teams guru, but the man sure knew defense. :)

3 hours ago, Jason_S said:

He also cut Cris Carter because, "all he does is catch touchdown passes."  I don't think anyone's claiming Buddy was a Rhode's Scholar. :P  He may not have been an offensive or special teams guru, but the man sure knew defense. :)

I seem to recall Carter got cut for drug use. Carter fully admits had he not been cut at the time he may not have survived the coke use.

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I seem to recall Carter got cut for drug use. Carter fully admits had he not been cut at the time he may not have survived the coke use.

yes of course.  I was mostly being facetious...obviously Buddy wasn't going to tell the media that he cut Carter because of drug abuse, but I think it's fair to say he should have practiced what he was really going to say a little bit more prior to answering any questions to the media about it. lol

4 hours ago, Jason_S said:

There is no apostrophe in Rhodes for Rhodes Scholar.

And the Rhodes Scholarship is not near what it used to be, ever since they started using "commitment to the common good," as part of their criteria.  Usually what people claim is for the "common good" only benefits a few.

6 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

There is no apostrophe in Rhodes for Rhodes Scholar.

And the Rhodes Scholarship is not near what it used to be, ever since they started using "commitment to the common good," as part of their criteria.  Usually what people claim is for the "common good" only benefits a few.

Brooklyn99-Andre+Braugher-Holt-Devastate

12 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

Brooklyn99-Andre+Braugher-Holt-Devastate

Just want to clarify that this was in good fun.  I'm a huge fan of Capt. Holt and Brooklyn 99.  I was actually about to edit the post and change the gif to this one below, but Coffee had already liked it as it was. lol

Brooklyn99Insider-Santiago-Fumero-Better

ok, sorry for the sidetrack...back to your regular scheduled programming :peek:

On June 29, 2016 at 9:03 AM, Jason_S said:

Good point Jason. He's no wizard on all things football related that is true. I was just teasing Buddy a little bit creating the impression that if Buddy had had McAfee or Adam V. on either the Bears squad, Eagles squad, or AZ squad they would never have been cut back in the day. 

On 6/29/2016 at 10:03 AM, Jason_S said:

Indeed!

Chris Carter struggled with drug and alcohol abuse during his first three seasons in the league with the Eagles. He was statistically productive but personally destructive in a period in which he failed two drug tests and nearly got himself suspended for a full season.  Buddy cut him because he couldn't "trust" him. 

"My bottom was getting cut and I was so upset because even though they cut me, I wasn't using at the time. They cut me because they couldn't trust me. At the time, I had only flunked two tests. The next one, I would've been suspended for a year. I was clean for over six months at the time I got cut."

Vikings claimed him and he turned his life around and into a HOF career.

Buddy developed and ran his 46 defense prior to the '85 Bears in Chicago.  It took the addition of many **Pro Bowl and All Pro guys** to finally make it truly work, and they still had to 'get on the same page' and see it click first.  It was named the 46 after Doug Plank, (interestingly he retired and was no longer on the team for that famed 85 Bears D anymore; 1975-1982) the jersey number of the hard hitting free safety, who was his eighth man in the box, often moved to middle linebacker. Buddy called his players by their number.  If he called you by name, it wasn't by your given name; if you know what I mean.  ;-)

But if they brought pressure, the QB had to deliver the ball quickly because at least one of those guys was going to beat his man. Different blitz schemes based upon O formation. But if they dropped 7 or 8 guys, the QB is standing there looking at coverage; creating much indecision in a QB back then.  Bill Belichick feels it drove out many of the 2 back sets that were used heavily at the time. (IE: 20 and 21 personnel etc...)

As far as defense, Buddy was creative at worst and genius often.  RIP Buddy.

**Dan Hampton, Richard Dent, Mike Singletary, Otis Wilson, Wilbur Marshall, Steve McMichael, Willam (the Fridge) Perry, Dave Duerson, and Gary Fencik. The other 2 (corners) were (former Vikings HC) Leslie Frazier and Mike Richardson.  To me, it was just as much Jimmy's and Joe's as X's and O's.  Together, it was magic at that time.**

Interesting factoid- A retired Doug Plank played football In 1984 as he played one season in the USFL for the Chicago Blitz. The Blitz head coach was future NFL Hall of Fame coach Marv Levy. The Blitz general manager was future NFL Hall of Fame GM Bill Polian.

Buddy Ryan didn't just happen to be the DC of the 85 Bears. Yes he and Ditka basically hated each other, but so did the players and Ditka. Richard Dent went as far as to name drop everybody during his HoF speech...everybody but Ditka. DL coach isn't quite up there with DC, but when you're the DL coach of The Purple People Eaters, and only had 1 losing season as a HC which was his last...I mean dang are ya'll really going to rip a dead man because he was on the team that beat yours in SBIII? And don't even tell me it was his attitude after all the times ya'll have stuck up for Jim Mora.

13 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

But if they brought pressure, the QB had to deliver the ball quickly because at least one of those guys was going to beat his man.

And it was a miracle that anybody ever figured this out. Joe Gibbs figured it out, with the plan for the quarterback to stand there until the last second and throw a lob to whoever he thought had their man beat in 1 on 1 coverage. I *think* I saw him say on NFL Films that not just that, but that he and the WR were also supposed to magically know when all of that was happening at the same time so that they could "audible" (Run N Shoot style) to a go route. Also give Mark Rypein credit for having stones the size of grapefruits by doing this before anybody else. Had they figured that out, it might have never been exposed (and it still works sometimes).

32 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

And it was a miracle that anybody ever figured this out. Joe Gibbs figured it out, with the plan for the quarterback to stand there until the last second and throw a lob to whoever he thought had their man beat in 1 on 1 coverage. I *think* I saw him say on NFL Films that not just that, but that he and the WR were also supposed to magically know when all of that was happening at the same time so that they could "audible" (Run N Shoot style) to a go route. Also give Mark Rypein credit for having stones the size of grapefruits by doing this before anybody else. Had they figured that out, it might have never been exposed (and it still works sometimes).

Marino had them figured out that year, kept them from being perfect.  On a Monday Night! The Marks Brothers (Duper and Clayton) could get open one on one, and they took out their Tight End and brought in Nat Moore; spread them out even more and had a LB on a WR.  Marino with a quick release and strong arm beat the D while the receivers beat the coverage.

3 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Marino had them figured out that year, kept them from being perfect.  On a Monday Night! The Marks Brothers (Duper and Clayton) could get open one on one, and they took out their Tight End and brought in Nat Moore; spread them out even more and had a LB on a WR.  Marino with a quick release and strong arm beat the D while the receivers beat the coverage.

Marino tore that team up that night! I remember watching that game with a friend of mine, I was only like 14 and we stayed up on a school night to watch that at his house. He was a gigantic Dolphins fan because his parents were from Florida and he loved Marino! He was really my best friend in high school, we used to collect Football cards and try and get Marino's rookie card with every pack haha we got a couple of them but it took a ton of packs.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Marino tore that team up that night! I remember watching that game with a friend of mine, I was only like 14 and we stayed up on a school night to watch that at his house. He was a gigantic Dolphins fan because his parents were from Florida and he loved Marino! He was really my best friend in high school, we used to collect Football cards and try and get Marino's rookie card with every pack haha we got a couple of them but it took a ton of packs.

With that said, I think Marino was still sacked 3 or 4 times!!  LOL.  Even in defeat that D could get it done in some ways!  Enjoy the Flashback!

https://youtu.be/fvHyKtjQ9cQ

1 minute ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

With that said, I think Marino was still sacked 3 or 4 times!!  LOL.  Even in defeat that D could get it done in some ways!  Enjoy the Flashback!

https://youtu.be/fvHyKtjQ9cQ

Yeah incredibly the full game is on You Tube. I love YouTube. It also has a lot of full Colts games too. I miss the days of being a kid, do a few chores then the parents give you money and you eat McDonalds and buy Football cards with it! That game did bring back memories just because of my friend, I would've never known him had his parents not moved from Florida to Indy in the late 60's. They moved here because they were offered great job opportunities in their profession. My friend was actually born here but his whole family loved the Dolphins. Thanks for the You Tube Post, I will definitely check it out again.