Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brady to Appeal....

csmopar

12 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

Yea it's funny because you have Pat fans saying that if they could do it all over again, they would. They'd gladly lose draft picks and money if it meant winning a Superbowl every year!

I know it's comical but yet they think the world is against them. They haven't lost a thing. They still have 4 Rings, most in the media still think Tom is a Top 3 QB of all-time, and they are still an Elite team. Man to hear Pats fans complain you would think Steve Grogan was at QB and they had 0 SB's!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

How is the integrity in jeopardy if you are betting on your team to win?

I believe the thinking is the guy will use (misuse) his players.  IE: not \bring in young relievers in a tight game when your Ace is in the latter innings and getting tired, etc...  playing a vet that needs a day off from the 162 game grind instead of resting him, him..  all to win THAT game, not looking at the future games and team health, etc...

I've heard the story in Baseball- your team will win 54 games, and will lose 54 games. It's what you do with the other 54 games that separate the winners from the bottom dwellers.  Reckless managers that misuse players typically don't do well in those 54. And it's not good for the player(s).

12 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I believe the thinking is the guy will use (misuse) his players.  IE: not \bring in young relievers in a tight game when your Ace is in the latter innings and getting tired, etc...  playing a vet that needs a day off from the 162 game grind instead of resting him, him..  all to win THAT game, not looking at the future games and team health, etc...

I've heard the story in Baseball- your team will win 54 games, and will lose 54 games. It's what you do with the other 54 games that separate the winners from the bottom dwellers.  Reckless managers that misuse players typically don't do well in those 54. And it's not good for the player(s).

Dusty Baker has made a career out of burning out pitchers arms.  

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Doctoring balls,   corking bats and using steroids have a direct effect on the outcomes of games.   Betting on your team to WIN doesn't.    If you think it was ever about the integrity of the game you are very gullible 

A manager betting on any game is bypassing the rules and is a violation that is put there to protect the integrity of the game. What part of no betting allowed don't you understand? The rules are plain and are posted in every locker room. You may make all the excuses in the world about what other players have done but it does not excuse him because you think it's OK. 

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

A manager betting on any game is bypassing the rules and is a violation that is put there to protect the integrity of the game. What part of no betting allowed don't you understand? The rules are plain and are posted in every locker room. You may make all the excuses in the world about what other players have done but it does not excuse him because you think it's OK. 

Using steroids,  doctoring balls etc, is also against the rules.    If it was truly about integrity then those infractions would get a lifetime ban as well.  It has nothing to do with integrity 

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Using steroids,  doctoring balls etc, is also against the rules.    If it was truly about integrity then those infractions would get a lifetime ban as well.  It has nothing to do with integrity 

Those infractions have there own punishments. Gambling has it's own too. Plain and simple.

6 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

If he is betting on his team to WIN the game.    Why does it matter?

Thank you.

All athletes figuratively bet on their team to win...

The fact that they might do it literally is a badge of honor not a ticket out of the Hall of Fame.

I've heard the arguement that Pete might misuse his pitching staff to win one game he bet on but, please..

If he stretched his staff to win one game, what fan would have an issue with that.?

Watching Pete Rose for decades, I am virtually certain that a guy like him would never bet against himself or his team.

In the old days of American Legion baseball, half the players had a bet on the game.

I'd love it if players had to put their own money on the line and I'd pay into the pot to see it.

I've always had this idea of a new pro league where there was money on the line every night.

4 hours ago, Bogie said:

Hopefully he wins for the better of the league. This stopped being about the "controversy" the minute Goodell stepped over and fought it. This is about the power struggle of the leader of the NFL wanting to be unquestioned and do whatever he wants.

There wasn't even a controversy to begin with over the deflated balls after all the smoke cleared. One team that was sore losers in a game they were blown out very badly in. This is one of the silliest fabricated witch hunts ever in NFL history. 

Another ridiculous statement you've made . They never end. For the record , the Colts notified the NFL that NE may have been guilty of doctoring footballs before the game began. They really said pretty much zip after they were blown out. So where do you get the sore loser stuff ? BTW .. when they tested the footballs at half time , the score was 17-7.n   

9 hours ago, Derakynn said:

He continues to smear his own legacy by dragging this out. People would forget about it if he just sucked it up and moved on. Instead, he he chooses to incubate resentment within the NFL fan base 

I disagree. I think the majority of NFL fans believe the NFL overstepped and is being unfair to Brady. Even people who believe he cheated dislike Roger Goodell more than they dislike Brady.

JMO

9 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Superman has said all along he believes Brady would use every legal avenue to delay serving the suspension. I've tended to agree with him at every step. But will Brady still be in the NFL once the final irrevocable decision is rendered?

napoleon-dynamite-tetherball.gif

5 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Another ridiculous statement you've made . They never end. For the record , the Colts notified the NFL that NE may have been guilty of doctoring footballs before the game began. They really said pretty much zip after they were blown out. So where do you get the sore loser stuff ? BTW .. when they tested the footballs at half time , the score was 17-7.n   

That was another problem I had with it, they jumped out to a 14-0 lead, one of the balls they caught was a huge bomb by a RB and it looked a Nerf ball to set up 1 of those TD's and it was 17-7 at Half. Once they got that kind of lead it was panic time and then when they went up 24-7 we quit basically so they poured it on and people say, will they played better when the balls were legal! Well no crap I say, maybe it was because the Pats played loose and were up by 2 scores and the Colts were deflated when they fell down 24-7.

4 hours ago, Bogie said:

Hopefully he wins for the better of the league. This stopped being about the "controversy" the minute Goodell stepped over and fought it. This is about the power struggle of the leader of the NFL wanting to be unquestioned and do whatever he wants.

There wasn't even a controversy to begin with over the deflated balls after all the smoke cleared. One team that was sore losers in a game they were blown out very badly in. This is one of the silliest fabricated witch hunts ever in NFL history. 

Yeah its just a witch hunt. I mean I know Brady destroyed evidence which is a clear sign that he did nothing wrong.

Nothing to see here folks. Move along.

5 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Doctoring balls,   corked bats,  steroid use,  failing drugs tests.    All worse infractions than betting on your team to win.    It has nothing to do with integrity of the game.    If that was the case,   all of those other infractions would have lifetime bans as well.   Get real

Rose's lifetime ban is a joke, but there are legitimate reasons for pro sports league to disallow coaches (or anyone) from betting on their team (or any team). You're inviting influence into the sport, which is dangerous.

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Resting superstars has worked in the past, it has failed in the past.  Maybe it works better in baseball, but in football, you need to win NOW.  Maybe you lost your best WR in that week 7 game, but without their help winning 5 of the first 7, you don't even sniff the playoffs.  Injuries are part of the game, next man up.  Ideally, you would have all of your players healthy throughout the entire season, but in reality, every team is suffering from injury lag before the playoffs even begin.

Maybe we're comparing apples and oranges here with baseball and football, but in theory, a player/coach/GM/President "bets" on their team every year, every season, every game.  And if they "win" the bet by winning the games, they get paid more. 

24 minutes ago, Superman said:

Rose's lifetime ban is a joke, but there are legitimate reasons for pro sports league to disallow coaches (or anyone) from betting on their team (or any team). You're inviting influence into the sport, which is dangerous.

I guess the only problem would be when a player/coach/GM/President bets against their team and makes more money by losing games than winning them.  That is a valid reason for removing the option for any of these people to even be able to bet on a game.  It's the old saying about one bad egg/apple ruining it for the rest...

16 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Resting superstars has worked in the past, it has failed in the past.  Maybe it works better in baseball, but in football, you need to win NOW.  Maybe you lost your best WR in that week 7 game, but without their help winning 5 of the first 7, you don't even sniff the playoffs.  Injuries are part of the game, next man up.  Ideally, you would have all of your players healthy throughout the entire season, but in reality, every team is suffering from injury lag before the playoffs even begin.

Maybe we're comparing apples and oranges here with baseball and football, but in theory, a player/coach/GM/President "bets" on their team every year, every season, every game.  And if they "win" the bet by winning the games, they get paid more. 

I guess the only problem would be when a player/coach/GM/President bets against their team and makes more money by losing games than winning them.  That is a valid reason for removing the option for any of these people to even be able to bet on a game.  It's the old saying about one bad egg/apple ruining it for the rest...

I totally agree if a player or coach are betting against their team they should be gone.    

7 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I totally agree if a player or coach are betting against their team they should be gone.    

We want everyone to "bet" on themselves/their team, because they try their hardest to win.  But just the possibility of someone being able to actually bet against themselves/their team, and actually try to lose a game, or "throw" a fight in boxing...  One bad apple/egg.  For a few extra dollars, too...  :facepalm: 

At least Tom Brady is trying to WIN THE GAME, right Herm Edwards?

365921.jpg

55 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

It's about not having a coach owing the wrong people, then being influenced to throw a game or fix a spread.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's about not having a coach owing the wrong people, then being influenced to throw a game or fix a spread.

Right. A coach/player/GM/President having a vested interest in their team NOT winning, or not winning by too much.  All of a sudden, both coaches want the same team to win, and there's no real competition.  It's about "just make it look good"...

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Rose should be in the Hall of Fame, all-time hits leader.

While I agree that Rose should be banned from baseball he should not be banned from the HOF. Him as a player is totally different than him as a manager. I have no clue if lying about all those years helped his cause getting into the HOF.

26 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm not saying Rose shouldn't be "forgiven" after all these years but he did deserve the ban. Like you are saying , just associating with gamblers is taboo. Remember it was just 1919 that the blacks scandal took place.

26 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

While I agree that Rose should be banned from baseball he should not be banned from the HOF. Him as a player is totally different than him as a manager. I have no clue if lying about all those years helped his cause getting into the HOF.

That's a fine line.  If he gets into the HoF, kids can look up to him and say "well you can still get into the HoF even if you do x, y, or z".  You let Bonds or McGuire in, that's a whole other :worms:.  Gotta keep some semblance of respect in the Hall.

"Charlie Hustle" had a great nickname, and was a good player.  "Johnny Football" has a great nickname and HAS BEEN a good player (in college).  Bad comparison?  Yes.  Did I just make it?  Yes.  Does this tie in to Tom Brady?  YES

WHEN, not if, When Tom "Terrific" gets into the HoF, what are we going to say about his legacy?  "Well, as long as you don't admit to x, y, or z, you can still get into the HoF"...

I'm torn, because I don't WANT Pete Rose or Tom Brady in their respective HoFs, because they don't live up to the standard of "sports hero" IMO.  However, these guys are human, and a few bone-headed mistakes shouldn't mar their amazing accomplishments in their respective sports.

And by "bone-headed" mistakes, I don't mean "accidentally" taking steroids like Bonds and McGuire.  Or taking steroids "before it was illegal" like the 70's Steelers.  I'm not trying to throw the Steel Curtain under "The Bus", but their "competitive advantage" wasn't just Knoll's coaching...

Bottom Line:  This hurts Bradys' legacy regardless of whether he admits to any wrongdoing or just dodges it in the courts until he retires so he can avoid admitting to any wrongdoing.

Also, for anyone that tries to compare how this will affect Bradys' legacy vs. how the UT "scandal" will affect Mannings' legacy...

Brady messed with the integrity of the game in the latter stage of his PROFESSIONAL career.

Manning messed with proper locker room etiquette when he was a pompous college football star.

4 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Dusty Baker has made a career out of burning out pitchers arms.  

Lots of bad managers out there. It's one thing to be a bad manager of their own volition, and another to be forced into being a bad manager because of a placed bet.

Sparky Anderson got the name captain hook because he knew his bullpen and their arm capabilities, not because he placed bets his relief staff would have more saves than his starters would have complete games.

Something interesting... did Rose place a bet to win on every single game?  It would tell me something on those games he didn't...

3 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I'm sorry, I just don't think you can compare a 16 game football season to one ten times as long ( 162 for baseball) as far as win NOW games.  Most of the baseball season are not 'must win' or 'win now' games, like some in football are.

3 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I'm sorry, I just don't think you can compare a 16 game football season to one ten times as long ( 162 for baseball) as far as win NOW games.  Most of the baseball season are not 'must win' or 'win now' games, like some in football are.

Yeah, apples and oranges.  Especially when you think about a 12-game college schedule vs a pro baseball schedule.  Kind of wish Pete Rose had never been brought into this conversation because we're comparing "incomparables".

I guess the common thread is that both Rose and Brady violated the "integrity" of the game.

When it was first happening, I was thinking equipment violation, etc.  Then the denials and hiding stuff, withholding of info, smashed cell phones... it all spiraled up into some Integrity of the Game issue rather than just covert equipment violations.  It will be interesting to see if the whole panel of Appellate judges will re-hear the case.

8 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Lots of bad managers out there. It's one thing to be a bad manager of their own volition, and another to be forced into being a bad manager because of a placed bet.

Sparky Anderson got the name captain hook because he knew his bullpen and their arm capabilities, not because he placed bets his relief staff would have more saves than his starters would have complete games.

Something interesting... did Rose place a bet to win on every single game?  It would tell me something on those games he didn't...

He said he did.     Whether he did or not nobody but him knows

13 hours ago, dw49 said:

I'm not saying Rose shouldn't be "forgiven" after all these years but he did deserve the ban. Like you are saying , just associating with gamblers is taboo. Remember it was just 1919 that the blacks scandal took place.

I agree. I don't think he should be allowed to work in baseball. What I have a problem with is keeping him out of the HOF after all these years, and acting like rescinding the ban after 25 years is going to do harm to the game. Manfred's most recent ruling that because Rose still bets on baseball legally he poses an unacceptable risk to the game is particularly nonsensical. 

11 hours ago, Superman said:

I agree. I don't think he should be allowed to work in baseball. What I have a problem with is keeping him out of the HOF after all these years, and acting like rescinding the ban after 25 years is going to do harm to the game. Manfred's most recent ruling that because Rose still bets on baseball legally he poses an unacceptable risk to the game is particularly nonsensical. 

Yes it's no doubt unfair to keep him out of the HOF. I never saw that recent ruling nor did I know he still bet on baseball. The fact that he does should be totally his business and certainly does not or would not present a "risk" to anyone.

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 10:16 PM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

That's a fine line.  If he gets into the HoF, kids can look up to him and say "well you can still get into the HoF even if you do x, y, or z".  You let Bonds or McGuire in, that's a whole other :worms:.  Gotta keep some semblance of respect in the Hall.

"Charlie Hustle" had a great nickname, and was a good player.  "Johnny Football" has a great nickname and HAS BEEN a good player (in college).  Bad comparison?  Yes.  Did I just make it?  Yes.  Does this tie in to Tom Brady?  YES

WHEN, not if, When Tom "Terrific" gets into the HoF, what are we going to say about his legacy?  "Well, as long as you don't admit to x, y, or z, you can still get into the HoF"...

I'm torn, because I don't WANT Pete Rose or Tom Brady in their respective HoFs, because they don't live up to the standard of "sports hero" IMO.  However, these guys are human, and a few bone-headed mistakes shouldn't mar their amazing accomplishments in their respective sports.

And by "bone-headed" mistakes, I don't mean "accidentally" taking steroids like Bonds and McGuire.  Or taking steroids "before it was illegal" like the 70's Steelers.  I'm not trying to throw the Steel Curtain under "The Bus", but their "competitive advantage" wasn't just Knoll's coaching...

Bottom Line:  This hurts Bradys' legacy regardless of whether he admits to any wrongdoing or just dodges it in the courts until he retires so he can avoid admitting to any wrongdoing.

The HOF has nothing to do with "sports hero". I know of two players that both have a year long suspension. Paul Horning and Alex Karras  were suspended for betting on NFL games. Even though they were teams suspensions the Colts suspended Eric Dickerson two times in two years. One time for 6 games and one time for 4 games for conduct detrimental to the team. Do you think Ben Roethlisberger wont be in the HOF because he is not considered a hero?

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 5:48 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I know it's comical but yet they think the world is against them. They haven't lost a thing. They still have 4 Rings, most in the media still think Tom is a Top 3 QB of all-time, and they are still an Elite team. Man to hear Pats fans complain you would think Steve Grogan was at QB and they had 0 SB's!

I long ago reached the resignation point with this issue, and I don't really expect many or any of you to ever see this issue from anything other than your perspective as "Pats hating Colts fans", but this rationalization doesn't really fly when it comes to this issue. Yes it's true that the past is theirs to keep. But that would have been true regardless of whether they had received an $8K fine or the excessive punishment they DID receive, which to most Pats fans was preposterously heavy handed and punitive, even if something nefarious DID happen (and I'm not getting into that debate). Taking an NFL team's franchise QB off the field for 25% of the season while at the same time preventing that team from drafting a player in the top 32 of the incoming class should be a punishment reserved for an offense that is FAR FAR greater than what is alleged to have happened here. Many of you are saying "what's the big deal - they are still an elite team and they will still win the east and make the playoffs"...I hope so. And if they play these first 4 games and go 3-1 or 4-0 as you'd expect they would had this never happened, then I think at that point we will all see the official death of this story for real. But the fact is that nobody has any idea how they will do. Garappalo may be completely awful and they might go 0-4. Or maybe Garrapalo's knee gets caved in in the first quarter of game 1 and they then have to go to somebody off the street. The bottom line is that the team's entire 2017 season has been greatly compromised by the punishment handed down. MAYBE they survive it unscathed, but to most Patriots fans it seems incredibly unfair and I suspect fans of every other team would feel the same way if it was their team. Again - not expecting sympathy and I wouldn't have any for your team either. But I think you are not being honest if you think that this "world against us" thing wouldn't be felt by the fans of every other team including yours if your team were to receive a similarly over the top punishment like this. 

53 minutes ago, Bad Morty said:

I long ago reached the resignation point with this issue, and I don't really expect many or any of you to ever see this issue from anything other than your perspective as "Pats hating Colts fans", but this rationalization doesn't really fly when it comes to this issue. Yes it's true that the past is theirs to keep. But that would have been true regardless of whether they had received an $8K fine or the excessive punishment they DID receive, which to most Pats fans was preposterously heavy handed and punitive, even if something nefarious DID happen (and I'm not getting into that debate). Taking an NFL team's franchise QB off the field for 25% of the season while at the same time preventing that team from drafting a player in the top 32 of the incoming class should be a punishment reserved for an offense that is FAR FAR greater than what is alleged to have happened here. Many of you are saying "what's the big deal - they are still an elite team and they will still win the east and make the playoffs"...I hope so. And if they play these first 4 games and go 3-1 or 4-0 as you'd expect they would had this never happened, then I think at that point we will all see the official death of this story for real. But the fact is that nobody has any idea how they will do. Garappalo may be completely awful and they might go 0-4. Or maybe Garrapalo's knee gets caved in in the first quarter of game 1 and they then have to go to somebody off the street. The bottom line is that the team's entire 2017 season has been greatly compromised by the punishment handed down. MAYBE they survive it unscathed, but to most Patriots fans it seems incredibly unfair and I suspect fans of every other team would feel the same way if it was their team. Again - not expecting sympathy and I wouldn't have any for your team either. But I think you are not being honest if you think that this "world against us" thing wouldn't be felt by the fans of every other team including yours if your team were to receive a similarly over the top punishment like this. 

The Pats have won 4 SB's and been to 6, most think Brady is still one of the Greatest ever regardless of this, some think he is the Greatest. I don't even like the Pats and I still put Brady in my Top 5, his resume as far as winning is better than Peyton's as well. I think he knew what was going on and I think he panicked and his phone destroyed but I have no proof of it but who cares really what I think or any fan in reality. It really boils down to Integrity more than anything with me. I don't like cheaters or liars so that is why some of my posts may come off harsh. If it was Peyton doing this I would say the same thing. I wouldn't rank him as not a Top 5 QB ever but I would think less of him and think he should be punished if he put the Integrity of the game in jeopardy.

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 11:54 AM, Superman said:

I think they will eventually put Rose in the HOF but only after he dies. They pretty cant punish him any more after that point. MLB has never backed off Shoeless Joe Jackson even though there was no proof he had any part of throwing the series other than hearsay. He batted 375 with no errors.

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 7:51 AM, jvan1973 said:

He said he did.     Whether he did or not nobody but him knows

Good point. He lied for years so with that in mind can you believe what is truth and what is not. I don't know if his lying made any difference in the ban being lifted but it sure didn't help.

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 0:32 AM, crazycolt1 said:

The HOF has nothing to do with "sports hero". I know of two players that both have a year long suspension. Paul Horning and Alex Karras  were suspended for betting on NFL games. Even though they were teams suspensions the Colts suspended Eric Dickerson two times in two years. One time for 6 games and one time for 4 games for conduct detrimental to the team. Do you think Ben Roethlisberger wont be in the HOF because he is not considered a hero?

Obviously, the legacy of all those players is tarnished because you just used all of them as examples of an "anti-hero".  I just gave my opinion about who I want to get in, or not get in.  I know players like Brady and Rothelisburger will get in, even if I don't want them to.

OJ is still in the HoF, so it's obviously not reserved just for "sports heroes".  Bad people that were really good at football are, technically, HoFers.  That doesn't mean I have to agree with it.