Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts passed on making a GREAT Oline for a long time to come

TigerColt

8 minutes ago, Hoosierdome93 said:

I was extremely disappointed last year when we didn't address the OL with the draft. When Luck got banged up even more so. I would have thrown a chair if we didn't this year. All I know is that Grigson went OL this year and I'm happy.

Thrown a chair?   Is this Bobby Knight? :D

11 hours ago, cjrichard said:

I am not going by MY opinion on draft rankings.  I let the guys that do it all day do that.  According to MOST experts, Whitehair was the best OG in the draft and could play at any position (something the Colts value).  I'm not saying i dont like Green as a player, but his ratings were all over the board and it was worth a risk to wait until the third.  Pagano himself said he will need to be "coached up".  Not something i want to hear about a second round pick.

I am happy that we address the OL and i trust the Colts staff feels good with the draft.  I just hope they were right to trade down and pass on Whitehair.

Joseph

You don't have look very far to find experts who did not have Whitehair as the #1 G. He was one of NFL.com's most likely to slide. It was usually him or Garrett at the top of a pretty average group of G's. It's hard to find tape of the kid firing out of a 3pt stance and he put up 18 on the bench press. I think him being at the top says more about this years group of G's than anything else. I'm glad we passed. 

Grigson and Pagano said that TJ was there pick regardless if they stayed put or traded back, so either way we weren't getting Whitehair, the fact that we traded back is irrelevant if what they said in their press conference is true. 

17 hours ago, cjrichard said:

Think they tried to address OL which is huge need.  Still think we should have taking Whitehair in the 2nd and then Green in the 3rd.  

We had the chance to get Kelly AND Whitehair and we passed?  SMH.  I do like Greens potential but you had the chance for a sure fire long term starter and settle the OL for 10 years for someone that will need to be coached up (Pagano's own words). 

BTW, the Bears already cut their guard to make room for Whitehair which was the 18th rated guard in the league and known for his pass blocking.

First off this guy got Demolished by Ogbah when they played, I cant wait to see what JJ Watt would do/does to him, second hes going to be 24 In July 2016, which means hes 2-3 years older than most grads (2-3 PRIME YEARS) and Third is he THAT much better than Clark??  Finally and most importantly is he worth not getting Morrison (who looks solid) and Blythe who may both start if Haeg and Clark is groomed for LT/RT. Blythe would fit well at G too. You gotta think of the two extra picks we got before anything else brotatochip

13 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Colts took 4 O-linemen in one draft......how is that passing on making a great oline for a long time to come? 

Its sad. I have my issues with Grigson, but he could have used all 9 picks on OTs, Centers  and Guards and people would say he didn't do enough to fix the o line. Grigson just can't win with some people on here.

14 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

I like Whitehair, but if you ask me to choose between him and Clark straight-up, then I am choosing Clark.

I know that was not the question, but it is how the board fell. I would have taken Clark in the second round.

The crazy thing about all of this is - all of our first three picks were possible first round draft picks. We got lucky this was such a deep O-Linemen draft. 

Grigson nailed this draft, and there is nothing for any of us to be upset about. If someone wants to rag on the Morrison pick then they might have a beef. I did not get that one, but I do have the patience to wait and see it through.

Morrison is D'Qwell Jackson.... at the fountain of youth.  ;-)

They got some new "toys" for the new coaches.  Getting some backup for the safeties before Adams retires looks like a smart play to me. Also, I don't see how coach Philbin could complain about the haul he has to work with. Whitehair would have been nice but you can't get everything in one draft.

16 hours ago, cjrichard said:

Dude, its called a forum.  Its purpose is to express your opinion (if you agree or not does not matter to me), I like logical discussions with people especially regarding the Colts.  Born and raised in Baton Rouge, LA and there are not many Colts fans down here to discuss my favorite team since the late 70s.  

Joseph  

I like logical discussions as well. 

What I meant was, things are already done, and there's nothing we can do about it now. Hopefully in a couple of years we are the ones looking back at what a great draft this was, and happy we invested in who we picked up. 

5 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

It's going to take more than one draft to fix our O-line.  We need to put the brakes on a bit.  Luck is going to get sacked a ton this year.

That's not necessarily true at all.

4 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

just IMO - quick fixes in this league are hard to come by.

I know it's your opinion, but if two of the four Oline players drafted turn out to be good starters, then most of the Oline issues are solved.

12 hours ago, Hoosierdome93 said:

A Hoosier thing. I guess

Yeah, I throw a chair at least once a day.  It's a great stress reliever/anger management tool.  It's also a good workout, really works the lats and arm muscles.  The core muscles really help the windup.

Just avoid hardwood floors where it will spin and slide like 100 ft and hit someone... :hide:

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 0:52 PM, Cynjin said:

I know it's your opinion, but if two of the four Oline players drafted turn out to be good starters, then most of the Oline issues are solved.

could be.  it seems to take good O-lineman a season or more of experience in the NFL to adjust, learn the ropes, learn the QB, etc.  I suppose if they are quick learners and really good, we can expect great things right out of the gate.  I'd say our new center could be the one who fits that mold.

15 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

could be.  it seems to take good O-lineman a season or more of experience in the NFL to adjust, learn the ropes, learn the QB, etc.  I suppose if they are quick learners and really good, we can expect great things right out of the gate.  I'd say our new center could be the one who fits that mold.

This could be true but it does nothing to back up your statement of ...." It's going to take more than one draft to fix our O-line."  That's what Cynjin was disputing.

26 minutes ago, dw49 said:

This could be true but it does nothing to back up your statement of ...." It's going to take more than one draft to fix our O-line."  That's what Cynjin was disputing.

yes, and I still feel that way.  A commitment to O-linemen in early rounds of the draft in back-to-back years would be a good start.  Improved this year but not fixed.

12 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

yes, and I still feel that way.  A commitment to O-linemen in early rounds of the draft in back-to-back years would be a good start.  Improved this year but not fixed.

We haven't even seen them play yet

On May 2, 2016 at 4:51 AM, cjrichard said:

Think they tried to address OL which is huge need.  Still think we should have taking Whitehair in the 2nd and then Green in the 3rd.  

We had the chance to get Kelly AND Whitehair and we passed?  SMH.  I do like Greens potential but you had the chance for a sure fire long term starter and settle the OL for 10 years for someone that will need to be coached up (Pagano's own words). 

BTW, the Bears already cut their guard to make room for Whitehair which was the 18th rated guard in the league and known for his pass blocking.

There are other positions of need on this team.     The Colts do NOT have a very good roster.     We had to address the defense.      Irsay has been talking about building the defense for two years now,  it simply had to be done.      Considering how much input they have given Philbin and he raved about Clark and Haeg,  I wouldn't worry about passing on Whitehair.    

The overall roster had to be addressed.