Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The New AFC South

10 minutes ago, SteelDragon said:

You mad,  bro?  You seem like a miserable person.  Why not keep this those sour grapes to yourself? 

what are you talking about?  Sour grapes? wth?

9 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I said last year the Jags were the team to fear in the near future. It's starting to come to fruition. With Ramsey, the Dorsett pick and Allen resigning looks a lot smarter. Can't cover everyone.

Yep. Those 5 wins last year plus a crapshoot draft has me fearing the worst. Some of the hyperbole on here about our division is approaching fever pitch. The AFC South had the least wins last year. All of a sudden. One draft class is going to catapult everyone into Patriot like success. Count me out on all this hype. 

1 hour ago, braveheartcolt said:

Yep. Those 5 wins last year plus a crapshoot draft has me fearing the worst. Some of the hyperbole on here about our division is approaching fever pitch. The AFC South had the least wins last year. All of a sudden. One draft class is going to catapult everyone into Patriot like success. Count me out on all this hype. 

Yeah it is just a little rediculous. People on here are just buying all the media hype that the Jags in particular are getting. And no doubt they have alot of talent, especially on defense now. But they still have to put it all together and that talent has to go out and perform. And it can actually be rather difficult to get a whole bunch of young talented kids to all come in at once and be focused, learn and perform and play well as a unit. So all this  talk of them overtaking the Colts or this division is quite premature. Colts went 8-8 last year with missing our starting QB 65% of the season and a horrible offensive line. Still had +3 in the win column over Jacksonville who was relatively healthy. And people should think about how a healthy Luck, a decent O line, a competent offensive coordinator and an offense that can stay on the field more than a minute at a time and not gas our defense will make the Colts better.

It seems like every year up until now, at least one team in the AFC South was widely considered a "circled win", to steal Mannings' phrase.  Every year, we could say, "Oh, the Jags/Texans/Titans are joke, as usual, they'll be picking in the top ten again."  But I don't think we can say that about a single team in the division now.  I could honestly see any of the 4 teams, probably the most healthy, winning the division and making a decent playoff run.

A lot of "analysts" are hopping on the AFC South bandwagon now too.  We'll have to see if anyone fails to live up to the hype.

I can see the injury bug biting Jacksonville.  Fowler and Jack might not make it through training camp.  At least one team will probably disappoint, especially if these AFC South teams just beat each other up every week.

A lot of people are taking the 'let's wait and see' approach, and that's fine. However, ask yourself this:

1. The Jaguars had a potent offense last year, but they did not have a good defense.. What would it take for them to be a good team this year?

a) Through Free Agency and the draft, the Jaguars added a ton of talent to their defense. They now appear to be a well-balanced team.

2. The Titans had a good defense last year, and a decent offense. What would it take to make them better?

a) The Titans added to their O-line and RB corps. Their receiving corps still appears to be an issue, and they have added to their defense as well. I expect them to be better, but not there yet.

3. The Texans just needed a franchise QB and a receiver opposite Hopkins. Have they done enough to get better?

a) The Texans have a good defense. It will get even better if the Texans offense can get better, and allow the defense some time to rest. They have made an attempt to improve the receiving corps through the draft and if Osweiler can become their franchise QB, then the Texans will compete for the division title every years. As it stands, they have won the division 3 of the past 5 years.

I went to the jaguars fan forum and man oh man do they talk crap about us. they say BB is better then Andrew and our team is trash and we are going to be last in the league. that we don't have any positions better then theirs beside LT.

The Jags & the Titans biggest problem has been their coaching. Unless they made significant upgrades there, they won't go .500 playing the AFC West & the NFC North, much less the AFC South. 

Did they get better? Sure, on paper. But there's a big bottleneck at the top. 

So... can the Colts/Texans win 10 games against the schedule? AFC West; KC, Denver, Raiders, Chargers & the NFC North; Packers, Vikings, Bears, Lions

I can see both teams going 6-2 against these divisions.

I doubt we'll sweep both the Titans & the Jags. One or the other sure, not both. We'll most likely split games between us. So that's 4-2 in the division. 

So that's Pats (without Brady) & Bengals for us, Jets & Steelers for you.

We've both got a good shot at going 11-5

Probably won't happen for us... but we'll see. I don't think the Jags or Titans are going to be close to 10 wins. Not with their coaches.

1 hour ago, tweezy32 said:

I went to the jaguars fan forum and man oh man do they talk crap about us. they say BB is better then Andrew and our team is trash and we are going to be last in the league. that we don't have any positions better then theirs beside LT.

That's hilarious haha They have had what, an entire decade of top 5 picks and haven't been able to figure this whole football thing out. Yet they talk crap about us! We'll see soon enough I guess

On 5/1/2016 at 11:26 AM, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I'm still not 100% sold on the Jaguars. Last year, Luck missed 9 games, Mariota missed 5 (I think), and the Texans were a mess at QB, as usual, so the division was practically gift-wrapped for the Jags, but they only managed 5 wins. They were the only team in the division with a healthy starting QB for all 16 games, and they still sucked. I'm not saying they won't be improved because they most definitely will be better, but considering how awful they've been, that's really not saying much.

What is that bright light coming this way? Uh, i don`t know!

On 5/1/2016 at 4:08 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That would be an amazing jump for the Titans but I do see them around .500. I think all 4 teams will be with in a game or 2 of each other but I still think we have a slight edge because we have Andrew. He just needs to stay healthy. I have us going 10-6 like Posted earlier.

I hope you are right, and I'm wrong. But here's my thinking - our weakness is thinking that "we have Andrew Luck" (even Luck often tries too hard), and it lessens the individual responsibility of the rest of the players as a team (Andrew will get us out of the mess we got ourselves in). I think this is partially the reason Luck got injured (but I could be wrong). I think the Titans have done a better, more balanced job of "building the monster". We'll see.

20 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

It seems like every year up until now, at least one team in the AFC South was widely considered a "circled win", to steal Mannings' phrase.  Every year, we could say, "Oh, the Jags/Texans/Titans are joke, as usual, they'll be picking in the top ten again."  But I don't think we can say that about a single team in the division now.  I could honestly see any of the 4 teams, probably the most healthy, winning the division and making a decent playoff run.

A lot of "analysts" are hopping on the AFC South bandwagon now too.  We'll have to see if anyone fails to live up to the hype.

I can see the injury bug biting Jacksonville.  Fowler and Jack might not make it through training camp.  At least one team will probably disappoint, especially if these AFC South teams just beat each other up every week.

I see the cockiness/arrogance bug hitting Jacksonville.  I think they will be a young team with talent who takes on the "dream team" mentality like Philly did and in some ways like we did last year with all those receivers.  I think that is what will take them off the track.  The lack of experience and playing consistent football for 16 games is what I think will take them away from what people are projecting for them.   Just looking around the net I see them already starting to talk themselves up.

On 5/1/2016 at 10:58 AM, VaAllDay757 said:

Houston still doesn't have running game and titans don't have an offensiveline their defense still needs work and the jags still have no offensive line and the defense sounds good on paper so far I'm not worried about the competition until the season starts

Houston will have a running game for sure. Between Lamar Miller and the rookie RB they drafted Tyler Ervin they should be able to run the football pretty well.  Not only that, but the speed they've added to their WR positions with Braxton Miller and Will fuller along with D. Hopkins it will make it hard to crowd the line of scrimmage against the running game.

On 5/2/2016 at 0:38 AM, weslo1812 said:

Yeah it is just a little rediculous. People on here are just buying all the media hype that the Jags in particular are getting. And no doubt they have alot of talent, especially on defense now. But they still have to put it all together and that talent has to go out and perform. And it can actually be rather difficult to get a whole bunch of young talented kids to all come in at once and be focused, learn and perform and play well as a unit. So all this  talk of them overtaking the Colts or this division is quite premature. Colts went 8-8 last year with missing our starting QB 65% of the season and a horrible offensive line. Still had +3 in the win column over Jacksonville who was relatively healthy. And people should think about how a healthy Luck, a decent O line, a competent offensive coordinator and an offense that can stay on the field more than a minute at a time and not gas our defense will make the Colts better.

Well, not only did the Jags shut down our tepid Offense (without Luck of course) they BLUDGEONED our defense in the second game last year with us needing a win desperately.  So, which team got better from that previous game? Anderson may still be hurt.  Luck is a question mark which no one seems concerned about.  Sure, I expect him to be the difference to put us over the top in our division, but without him for any time, we no longer have Hasselbeck to pull out back-up wins for us.  Our defense seems perhaps a fraction better at best.  Our offense should be much better, but if we give up that many points to teams like Jacksonville, what will happen with Pitt etc? 51 points by Jax last year and some other 50 point defensive travesties don't suggest us dominating anyone.  Unless Luck can score over 50 against quality teams next year, it is going to be tough.  Does anyone think Jax went backwards this year?  So with a better D and an O that put 51 on us, why are you so over-confident? 

I see a lot of people underestimating the Colts this year. Even though we didn't add a pass-rusher, IMO the secondary will be improved, which will in turn, help us get to the QB.

A good draft, better coaching, and players like Andrew and Anderson coming back will set the standard higher for this division.

Although Texas, Tenn and Jax did acquire some talent, I still think the Division is ours to lose

On May 1, 2016 at 8:50 PM, SteelDragon said:

Colts will be better off playing in a tougher division.  Iron sharpens iron- to borrow Pagano's cliché

I always associated that line with John Harbaugh not Chuck Pagano. Pags was the DC for Baltimore so I will let it slide SD. 

On May 1, 2016 at 10:19 AM, Smonroe said:

His eyeliner or mascara?

5 thumbs up for making me burst out laughing S-ME. :thmup::thmup::thmup::thmup::thmup:

On Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 9:37 AM, krunk said:

Houston will have a running game for sure. Between Lamar Miller and the rookie RB they drafted Tyler Ervin they should be able to run the football pretty well.  Not only that, but the speed they've added to their WR positions with Braxton Miller and Will fuller along with D. Hopkins it will make it hard to crowd the line of scrimmage against the running game.

Houston still doesn't have running game and titans don't have an offensiveline their defense still needs work and the jags still have no offensive line and the defense sounds good on paper so far I'm not worried about the competition until the season starts

I'm not sold on anything until the season starts those wr's are rookies don't expect them to jump right out the gate

I just thought it was hilarious over draft weekend how I heard analysts say that given all the picks Tennessee got  & the A+ grade most pundits gave Jacksonville that the AFC South just got transformed into the AFC West meaning our division just became much more competitive. 

I don't buy that take at all. Jags have a good defense sure, but they have no idea how to close out games. Murray played awful last season in Philly & age is starting to catch up with him. Houston is my biggest question mark. Their defense is solid & Brock shows flashes of brilliance but can Bill O'Brian turn the OZ into a poor man's Tom Brady? That's asking a lot. I like Brock & part of me would enjoy a good Brock vs Chewbacca rivalry if it develops into that. I need to see how OZ handles the pressure of being the man in Houston though. 

Yeah I know his name is Osweiler. I just like calling him OZ for short since like the Wizard of OZ the Texans have been looking for a miracle at QB for a very long time.