Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cam's Gold MVP Cleats

18Manning

I'm not definitively suggesting any point here except that Cam Newton does not appear to be a humble person. Whether or not you consider humility a positive characteristic is not the point of my post (IMO, humility is a positive character, especially in a leader). I've seen posts on various websites and threads where so many people suggest Cam Newton is a humble person. Assuming this is actually a picture of his gold cleats, I'd suggest he is far from humble. There are many potential adjectives to describe the character of a person wearing these cleats. Humble is not one of them. Humble is defined as "having or showing a modest or low estimate of one's own importance."

I don't know that arrogant fits exactly as it's defined as "having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities." His importance and abilities are fairly certain and probably not exaggerated. So, based on the definition, I suppose he's not arrogant. However, pompous might fit as it's defined as "affectedly and irritatingly grand, solemn, or self-important." Even that definition won't work for everyone as many of you say you don't mind the showboating. Either way, there are a few potential adjectives one could associate with Cam Newton that are not typically considered positive.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/former-nfl-coach-cam-newton-soft-for-wearing-gold-mvp-cleats/ar-BBpmVjS?ocid=spartandhp

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha, I don't think you have to go to Merriam-Webster to come to the conclusion that fig newton is arrogant & pompous, but thanks for the definitive definitions!!!

There are tons of examples of players who play the game the right way & with the right attitude...

Almost wish that was taken into consideration with the MVP voting process, as that also adds 'value' to a team and their success as well...

25 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

Ha, I don't think you have to go to Merriam-Webster to come to the conclusion that fig newton is arrogant & pompous, but thanks for the definitive definitions!!!

There are tons of examples of players who play the game the right way & with the right attitude...

Almost wish that was taken into consideration with the MVP voting process, as that also adds 'value' to a team and their success as well...

LOL, on this forum, it probably wasn't necessary. I've made the mistake of commenting on some of the MSN articles. There are some crazy people on there.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

Maybe your taking this a lot more serious than most?  It is the off season and it is not a big deal to make fun or be humorous about a lot of things.

I think you have it backwards. A lot of folks are making a bigger deal out of things and taking things a lot more serious then they really need to. Like I conceded earlier, though, yes, it's the offseason. But through all the threads and fights I've seen since the SB, this isn't a little jabbing or teasing. Mostly the reason I've been absent for a while. 

5 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

I see. Two Cam threads in as many hours lol. Have fun, though, it's the offseason lol. Not much to post about I suppose.

LOL, Exactly! When I first logged on, I thought "what am I going to talk about"...then I saw the article about Cam's cleats and off I went... :)

1 minute ago, 18Manning said:

LOL, Exactly! When I first logged on, I thought "what am I going to talk about"...then I saw the article about Cam's cleats and off I went... :)

Hey, we could always talk some more about Eli's excuse for looking so dejected after it was clear the Broncos were going to win...or how slippery the turf was at the SB...pretty fun topics haha

1 minute ago, QwizBoy said:

Hey, we could always talk some more about Eli's excuse for looking so dejected after it was clear the Broncos were going to win...or how slippery the turf was at the SB...pretty fun topics haha

Eli's expression would be a good topic. That was hilarious.

Just now, QwizBoy said:

I think you have it backwards. A lot of folks are making a bigger deal out of things and taking things a lot more serious then they really need to. Like I conceded earlier, though, yes, it's the offseason. But through all the threads and fights I've seen since the SB, this isn't a little jabbing or teasing. Mostly the reason I've been absent for a while. 

Why fight at all? You don't have to concede anything either. It is a team forum, not something to take personal and worry about. If someone gets on your nerves put them on ignore. This forum is not paying any of your bills so it really is what you let it be to you. I guess we could have started a thread about the Texans instead?...........................> Don't get bent, it was just a joke. :blah::D

He wore those cleats in pre game warmups.   

And he was the league MVP and proud of it, and was having some fun in the pre-game.   

I'm sure at the time he didn't have the first clue how the game was actually going to go, or that he wouldn't have an opportunity  to dance in the endzone or give a kid a football...   :dunno:

At least he had some fun in the pre-game...   And then the game began :)

I do know he switched to the regular blue cleats that the team wears for the game..

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Why fight at all? You don't have to concede anything either. It is a team forum, not something to take personal and worry about. If someone gets on your nerves put them on ignore. This forum is not paying any of your bills so it really is what you let it be to you. I guess we could have started a thread about the Texans instead?...........................> Don't get bent, it was just a joke. :blah::D

I haven't been involved in any fights, shockingly haha I was just referring to the ones I've seen. And of course I don't take things personally, but like everyone else here I am human and I can be irked by things too. I'm not of the mindset to put people on ignore bc for the most part I like everyone that posts here and I enjoy different opinions. I'm not going to comment anymore and just let you guys have your fun now lol. But yes...I would love to see a Texans thread...:) Then I could complain and argue on there instead lol.

1 minute ago, QwizBoy said:

I haven't been involved in any fights, shockingly haha I was just referring to the ones I've seen. And of course I don't take things personally, but like everyone else here I am human and I can be irked by things too. I'm not of the mindset to put people on ignore bc for the most part I like everyone that posts here and I enjoy different opinions. I'm not going to comment anymore and just let you guys have your fun now lol. But yes...I would love to see a Texans thread...:)

Ok...............You ask for it.   - You have the floor.

13 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

I agree with you. The negativity is a bit too much. This morning I thought of taking a break from here too. I always like it here and I have made lots of friends but the negativity is getting to me. I come here because I have a several friends with whom I "talk" and whose posts I enjoy.  But it is getting more unpleasant every day. 

Anyway, how are your Texans doing? I am pretty optimistic about my team. Hope we have another top draft. We open a new stadium next year. Maybe I will catch a game there. (Keep it positive, :) )

I certainly didn't mean to contribute to anyone's negative feelings about this forum. I've been reading (and responding) to too many posts on the MSN articles. It's difficult to have a reasonable conversation there. I felt I could come here and express my opinion(s) without upsetting anyone. And my comments are just that, opinions, but I try to back them up with logic. So, if I made anyone feel negative in any way, I apologize. However, my opinions stand.

And the Andy Griffith video is all in fun, although there's some wisdom to be garnered from it.

14 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I agree with you. The negativity is a bit too much. This morning I thought of taking a break from here too. I always like it here and I have made lots of friends but the negativity is getting to me. I come here because I have a several friends with whom I "talk" and whose posts I enjoy.  But it is getting more unpleasant every day. 

Anyway, how are your Texans doing? I am pretty optimistic about my team. Hope we have another top draft. We open a new stadium next year. Maybe I will catch a game there. (Keep it positive, :) )

I meant to quote you in my last post, so take a look at it as it applies to you too.

@QuizBoy:  I am done with Cam.  I have said my piece, and I have been joking here in these threads. 

I did like Jim Fassel's remarks/quotes  If anyone wanted to rile another team up, that gets a defense jacked up.

No we don't have Texans threads too much.....would be fun for me.

12 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Hey, it's been a pretty slow and peaceful offseason. I think people have settled down since the playoff loss but we all know acquiring a franchise worthy QB is priority number one. McNair won't stop talking about it to the media...so GM Rick Smith has some work to do. 

But speaking of the Draft, your Vikes are drafting behind us! I know Zimmer is a defensive guy, but is there anywhere on that defense that you guys need help to warrant a first round draft selection? I think I've seen a mock where the Vikings get A.D.'s replacement in Derrick Henry but that seems premature too. A lineman maybe? Or another wideout to pair with Diggs and CJ...

Just now, 18Manning said:

I meant to quote you in my last post, so take a look at it as it applies to you too.

Oh, I got it. As your avatar suggests, that post was pointed right at me and that is okay. :)  If the chatter is overly unpleasant,  I prefer not to engage in it. 

I can't wait for pitchers and catchers. The Baseball thread here is always pleasant. I can bury myself there. I also appreciate the draft/free agency section a lot. So I have choices as to what I choose to read. :) 

1 minute ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

Being a crybaby is thread worthy & like you said its the off season this is how it goes every year .

I suppose the General section needed a new whipping boy with RG sitting on the bench and the deflategate threads getting cracked down on lol. I still don't like it, but yeah, the nature of the offseason.