Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ameer Abdullah "Im the best RB in the 2015 NFL Draft"

I feel like there are 5 or 6 prospects at each position each year that come out and say they're the best at their position in the upcoming draft.  It used to be a think that made people say "wow, he's confident, I like that", but it's done so often now that it's lost all meaning, in my opinion.  You also don't really expect them to say anything else.

"I think I'm the best back in this class. I'm not really worried about anybody else," said Abdullah. "Whoever goes first, goes first. After that, once you hear your name called, it's time to get to work no matter where you get drafted. I'm the best back in the draft, so I'm not too worried about it."-Abdullah

Would love the Colts to trade down from the 2nd into the early 3rd and get either Abdullah or Ajayi.

As we sit here today,  I think Abdullah, Johnson,  Coleman and Ajayi all have 2nd round grades on most boards.

Now,  whether they all go in the 2nd round is another story.

But even if one or more slip to the 3rd,   there are still 28 other picks before us.    It's a long, long fall to pick 93.

I wouldn't expect any of those four to be available at 93.   Not saying it won't happen, just very unlikely.

Think the odds of that are very small.....

He's rising in my mind just a little bit more after running a 4.4 at his pro day on Thursday.  Definitely a very solid back, although my biggest concerns with him are all those fumbles.  It's imperative that gets cleaned up pronto.

I wonder now though if he can be the feature back in an offense or is he a better fit in a RB by committee system.

We'll see. I would take him if he's there in the 3rd

I had been saying that he will probably be part of a RBBC(running back by commitee) approach, but in looking at his size I'll say this.  Abdullah while being very strong(35 reps of 225 at combine) is 5'9" maybe 5'10" and 206 which makes you be a bit predjudiced towards him, but Thurmon Thomas made it to the Hall of Fame as a 5'10" 206lb running back so I won't put it out of question that Abdullah could possibly be a 3 down back I guess.  And Barry Sanders was a 5'8" Hall of Famer, so there are certainly some exceptions to the rule.  I'm not calling Abdullah a Hall of Famer by any means, but he does have some considerable talent so we'll see.

Talk is cheap.  There are so many RB prospects in the draft that Indy can bide their time and strike when their guy is coming up the board.  David Cobb and David Johnson are mid-round picks that could serve as bell cows at cheap, mid-round rookie contract prices. 

As we sit here today,  I think Abdullah, Johnson,  Coleman and Ajayi all have 2nd round grades on most boards.

Now,  whether they all go in the 2nd round is another story.

But even if one or more slip to the 3rd,   there are still 28 other picks before us.    It's a long, long fall to pick 93.

I wouldn't expect any of those four to be available at 93.   Not saying it won't happen, just very unlikely.

Think the odds of that are very small.....

I agree. If we do not take one in the second we're going to have to take one of the lesser rbs and not one of the top second tier rbs. I hope we grab Ajayi myself but I wouldn't mind grabbing Abdullah, Coleman, or Johnson.