Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Training Camp is here

TKnight24

TY Hilton looking forward to going back to punt returner. . . 

Umm sorry but WHY in the world would we use one of our top 3 receivers as a punt returner?

Isn't returning punts somewhat dangerous duty injury wise?  

I'd rather have Griff back there, sure he doesn't have the speed to take one to the house but losing TY Hilton to injury really hurts our offensive game plan, losing Griff Whalen doesn't.

I agree I think Griff could be a decent to good returner, but I disagree that he doesn't have the ability to take it to the House, while he may not be the fastest reciever on the team, he seemed to show a couple times last season to have good enough vision to get some good gains in the return game..."

I agree I think Griff could be a decent to good returner, but I disagree that he doesn't have the ability to take it to the House, while he may not be the fastest reciever on the team, he seemed to show a couple times last season to have good enough vision to get some good gains in the return game..."

Good gains yes but he's not likely to be winning foot races which is often necessary to take it to the house.  

Understand the thinking but don't necessarily agree.  There are plenty of players who have major roles on their teams offense or defense who return kicks - Harvin in Seattle, Peterson in AZ, and Patterson in Minny to name a few.  If Hilton is the best one for the job and it saves a roster spot for another position, it seems a reasonable ask.

I'd prefer that Hilton NOT return punts, but like you say, starting players are used as punt returners around the league. Especially if they're good at it. Desean Jackson returned 14 punts last year. It's not a foreign concept.

We pulled Hilton off of punt returns last year a couple games after Reggie got hurt, since Hilton was the primary receiving option. With a more rounded out receiving corps, it frees up Hilton, a little, to handle returns again. But I hope someone else earns the job.

Good gains yes but he's not likely to be winning foot races which is often necessary to take it to the house.

If the team blocks well enough he'll only have the punter to beat. Seeing as how the hardest hitting punter is on his team, he has nothing to worry about

I'd prefer that Hilton NOT return punts, but like you say, starting players are used as punt returners around the league. Especially if they're good at it. Desean Jackson returned 14 punts last year. It's not a foreign concept.

We pulled Hilton off of punt returns last year a couple games after Reggie got hurt, since Hilton was the primary receiving option. With a more rounded out receiving corps, it frees up Hilton, a little, to handle returns again. But I hope someone else earns the job.

Completely agree.  Ideally you would have a Josh Cribbs type with this as his specialty and being damn good at it.  But if TY does it, not the end of the world.  Ultimately I think they go with 6 WR's and Whalen wins a job because of his PR ability. 

I really don't have a problem with Hilton returning punts. He could get hit just as hard if a defender winds up unblocked on a bubble screen.

Plus with addition of nicks and moncrief and the hopefully continued development of Rogers I don't think we'd be nearly as impacted as last year when Reggie went down.

I really don't have a problem with Hilton returning punts. He could get hit just as hard if a defender winds up unblocked on a bubble screen.

Plus with addition of nicks and moncrief and the hopefully continued development of Rogers I don't think we'd be nearly as impacted as last year when Reggie went down.

His greatest impact for our team is at WR, so that has to be the priority. If he's far and away the best PR on the team, then let him return punts. But if there's another guy who is pretty much just as productive and consistent as he is, then give it to the other guy and let Hilton stay on task at WR. I'm not so much worried about him getting hurt as I am about his usage. 

His greatest impact for our team is at WR, so that has to be the priority. If he's far and away the best PR on the team, then let him return punts. But if there's another guy who is pretty much just as productive and consistent as he is, then give it to the other guy and let Hilton stay on task at WR. I'm not so much worried about him getting hurt as I am about his usage.

I completely agree.

We need to make a point to find a punt returner who isn't a major part of our offensive or defensive squads.  

Quite frankly as long as the guy can catch the ball and doesn't play into our offensive or defensive game plans that's all I need.  I don't care if he's slow and has no ability to break tackles.  

TY just shouldn't be back there anymore period.

I agree 100%. I would like to see one of the rookie DB's make the team and return punts. maybe Purifoy, Cox, or McDonald.

Understand the thinking but don't necessarily agree.  There are plenty of players who have major roles on their teams offense or defense who return kicks - Harvin in Seattle, Peterson in AZ, and Patterson in Minny to name a few.  If Hilton is the best one for the job and it saves a roster spot for another position, it seems a reasonable ask.

A WR can be lost for something as simple as reaching back to grab a pass.....and a returner can have a long career....year after year.

One thing I love about this new team is that they don't play scared ball.

Field position is massive in this league. Just look back at many of the game we played against the Pats in the first half. They ate our lunch in field position. Give that kid the role and block like muthas for him.