Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I don't understand the want for Spencer...for his probable price tag anyway. He hasn't been anything special until this year...when he knew he could cash in.

Yeah....I'm torn on Spencer at the price tag he may command in free agency.

I agree with the whole "contract year" thing that magically motivates players to career years, although he did have a good year with Demarcus Ware battling injuries for a large part of the season.

I'd be a buyer at 6-7M a year...max. But if he starts hitting the 8-9M franchise OLB range I'd go another route. He's 29 and a 4-year deal at that money is too much IMO.

Can you guys please explain to me why you want Spencer over Kruger? To me its a win win with any player you go with but honestly nothing excites me about watching Spencer at all, and hes got some years on Kruger. i Say sign Kruger, alot of olinemen and possibly cary williams and if you dont sign him then draft either Rhodes or Banks and our team immediately turns into superbowl contenders for the next decade.

I don't understand the want for Spencer...for his probable price tag anyway. He hasn't been anything special until this year...when he knew he could cash in.

Yeah....I'm torn on Spencer at the price tag he may command in free agency.

I agree with the whole "contract year" thing that magically motivates players to career years, although he did have a good year with Demarcus Ware battling injuries for a large part of the season.

I'd be a buyer at 6-7M a year...max. But if he starts hitting the 8-9M franchise OLB range I'd go another route. He's 29 and a 4-year deal at that money is too much IMO.

I can absolutely see where you guys are coming from. Personally, I would prefer Kruger; however, it should be noted that Kruger, like Spencer, didn't really do anything statistically until this contract year. With that being said, I would be ecstatic about either player rockin the 'shoe next year. The benefit to Kruger is his age, but Spencer's doesn't concern me either. The major difference between the two is that Spencer is a superior run defender compared to Kruger. If the price is right, either candidate is a Colt's win. 

I don't know if we will try to sign him, but he's the best OLB available in FA, IMO. If Kruger had more than one good season and had more tackles this year it might be close, but I don't think it is at this point... We aren't going to find a guy who's better at setting the edge in FA or the draft, but I don't feel as though OLB is a critical need.

Kruger would have to be significantly cheaper to be as good a value as Spencer (given the choice between the two).

I'd really rather see the Colts pick up some warm bodies for competition at OLB and focus on more pressing needs... OLB is always one of the deeper positions in the draft and It just seems like any decent OLB would be able to get to the QB more often if we had studs on the DL... I guess all positions depend somewhat on all others.

I agree with different sections of different comments in this thread. I think we really need a great pass rush and would love to get either Spencer or Kruger, but I also do think that OLB is a deep position in this draft. I think 4 sacks is a good step from limited playing time as a backup to competing for for a starting job, but I'm not sold on Hughes stepping up that far. But still, he might. We'll just see how it all plays out.