Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Aaron Hernandez Receives Contract Extension

ViriLudant

That's right, two of the top 4 TEs in the NFL are now locked up in New England through at least 2018.

Now both young TEs locked up long term: Patriots reached agreement with TE Aaron Hernandez on long-term contract extension, per NFL source.

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter)

August 27, 2012

Both Gronk and Hernandez have two years NFL experience, and are the same age as Fleener. Those two are going to cause trouble for a long, long time.

That's right, two of the top 4 TEs in the NFL are now locked up in New England through at least 2018.

Now both young TEs locked up long term: Patriots reached agreement with TE Aaron Hernandez on long-term contract extension, per NFL source.

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter)

August 27, 2012

Both Gronk and Hernandez have two years NFL experience, and are the same age as Fleener. Those two are going to cause trouble for a long, long time.

Lol to bad the qb isnt as young and hasnt looked that good

i take it you started watching football this August . . . our QB did pretty well last year . . .

yes i justed started watching this august,im really not a good judge of talent,and know nothing about football,otherwise id just be smart and hand the Patriots and Brady the Lomb trophy!!!!!!!! Right? :lol:

yes i justed started watching this august,im really not a good judge of talent,and know nothing about football,otherwise id just be smart and hand the Patriots and Brady the Lomb trophy!!!!!!!! Right? :lol:

I dont think thats what he said at all?? You said Brady has not looked that good, which is wrong he has looked fine, the O line has looked scary bad but he been fine.

Lol to bad the qb isnt as young and hasnt looked that good

Yeah, I'm very worried about Brady's abilities over his career.

/end sarcasm.

With Waters, Vollmer, and Mankins missing a great deal of time, I'm not too worried. All three should be ready by Game 1.

Surely TB had been sacked and pressured, but it is only the preseason, and as such, one really can not take too much from the results as not all of the numbers 1 are in the game . . . for instance we did not have Welker in the last game . . . which was my point, lets not put too much credence into this August, and until proven otherwise, we can rest on last year's result, both QB and in combination with his oline, to get a better gauge on how things might go come game 1 . . . we'll have to wait and see . . . but in my years of watching football and preseason, it is not he best judge of how a team will preform come the regular season . . . .

IMO the OL is Brady without a great one hes not much just average,lets see how he holds up when hes being hit or if he can overcome a mediocre line,and by the way i do like your TEs

no QB is great without a solid Oline . . . in fact, a QB needs alot of parts around him to be great and put up good numbers . . . he needs the other 10 guys on offense and the 11 on D and the 11 on ST . . . I think sometimes people, and I am not mentioning names, but some people seem to think that some QBs are the be all and end all, and are the sole reason why their teams win games . . .

I am in agreement with you and BB, and that it takes all players to help win games . . .true a great QB will get you an extra win or two, or three each year, but is about it . . .

:thmup: Well good luck OL issues seem to be going around,my guess is you might need some back up qbs

we wil just have to see how that pans out . . . I am not too worried about Olines, I am more worried about having solid players at the "skilled" positions and am very happy that we are locking up Hernandez . . . if I had to decide between a solid player at TE or RG, I would take a better player at TE and have an average players at RG . . .

I wonder what the % # is for good yr vs bad yr after a player signs a new contract?

Yeah, that would be interesting to look at. Though I'm sure with him playing in an offense with Brady and having the skillset that he has, Hernandez won't have a bad year unless it is due to injury

Here's an interesting question: how does this affect Welker? He has been trying to get a long term deal done and hasn't gotten anything. Is it more and more likely that this is Welker's last year as a Patriot (cue the Randy Moss soundbite!) or do the Patriots usually give their players long term deals when the player has helped them so much in the past?

Here's an interesting question: how does this affect Welker? He has been trying to get a long term deal done and hasn't gotten anything. Is it more and more likely that this is Welker's last year as a Patriot (cue the Randy Moss soundbite!) or do the Patriots usually give their players long term deals when the player has helped them so much in the past?

NFL.com thinks he may have to leave town to get his $

Sadly the thing holding the Welker deal back is something he can't control HIS AGE and HISTORY of players in his position going on a downward trend QUICKLY. Hernandez and Gronk are EXTREMLY Young and IMO the future of the Offense.

Yep. His locker is still there, nameplate and all. The prevailing opinion is that he's just sitting out training camp and preseason games, a la Michael Strahan.

If thats true I am not worried about our O line but replacing both him and Light in 1 off season I felt be hard for ANY team to do.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised. Edelman has been playing well; he's not the same as Welker (heck no one is), but between Hernandez, Gronk, Lloyd, Branch, etc., the Patriots will be fine in terms of weapons.

Why? He is like the 4th option there, if I were him I'd go be a #1 TE at least.

3rd option, actually, and he knows that his value goes hand in hand with Gronk and Brady. Not that Hernandez wouldn't be outstanding elsewhere, but he's in the perfect situation in New England.

Besides, he gets the chance to be part of a dynasty, as opposed to most other NFL teams.

Yep, This is a good move i bet he cry's on the back end of this extension that this isn't enough money but it looks ideal at the moment. AH is extremely athletic not sure how many TE's in the NFL would be returning Punts in the pre-season and look explosive doing it?

I'm guess with the franchise tag he's not in the long term plans.

I was pleasantly surprised Hernandez was signed. I had heard they'd let one of the TEs go in their usual MO of shuffling keeping only one high priced TE.

3rd option, actually, and he knows that his value goes hand in hand with Gronk and Brady. Not that Hernandez wouldn't be outstanding elsewhere, but he's in the perfect situation in New England.

Besides, he gets the chance to be part of a dynasty, as opposed to most other NFL teams.

With Brandon Lloyd in the picture he is the fourth option if Lloyd's career under McDaniels is any indication.

• 1 month later...

Ah man, they should have waited to give him a contract extension. Make him earn it this season

Here's an interesting question: how does this affect Welker?

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised. Edelman has been playing well; he's not the same as Welker (heck no one is), but between Hernandez, Gronk, Lloyd, Branch, etc., the Patriots will be fine in terms of weapons.

I'm guess with the franchise tag he's not in the long term plans.

I was pleasantly surprised Hernandez was signed. I had heard they'd let one of the TEs go in their usual MO of shuffling keeping only one high priced TE.

I agree with everything stated here. Clearly Wes Welker will be cut loose after this season. Major bummer. Yeah I know, this is what makes NE a top franchise--Replacing seasoned veterans with talented young athletes who get schooled by veterans just before they get released. Come on Tom Brady please get Wes a sparkling new ring as a consolation prize/going away present. Welker deserves it; to leave Foxboro on top.

I am also surprised that Hernandez was secured so fast. Very uncharacteristic for NE IMO. You have to make him earn it. Apparently, Bill has seen enough intelligence and clutchness in him to sign him to a longterm deal. Bill knows what he's doing. I won't second guess it 1 bit.

A good first post and topic ViriLudant. Nice work. :hat:

I think the Patriots learned some lessons by playing hardball with players who were re-upped in recent years. Particularly Wilfork and Mankins. If they had worked out extensions with those guys PRIOR to taking it down to the wire and milking their rookie deals for every last cent, it would have cost them less to resign them, and it certainly wouldn't have gotten as tense as it did in both cases.

In the past couple of years, they've done extensions for Mayo, Gronk, Hernandez... I think they're identifying their key pieces moving forward and will lock them up early. When you look at all those deals, they're actually pretty team and cap-friendly.

I think the Patriots learned some lessons by playing hardball with players who were re-upped in recent years. Particularly Wilfork and Mankins.

In the past couple of years, they've done extensions for Mayo, Gronk, Hernandez... I think they're identifying their key pieces moving forward and will lock them up early.

All good points GoPats. I guess I just feel odd seeing Robert Kraft and Bill Belichick giving these TE's their money so quickly. If the "Patriot Way" is no man is more important to the success of this team, not even QB Tom Brady, it seems peculiar to me that NE is willing to sign these offensive weapons so swiftly. Gronk I get; Hernandez and Edelman I needed to see 1 more good season yet before I even think of securing their talents for a longtime. Any franchise must be wary of banking the Brinks truck up too quickly. Big paydays to the wrong person too early can make a person complacent and diminish their work ethic overall. Not a reflection on either Hernandez or Edelman per say; I just feel strange with NE spending BIG money so easily when they were so strongly opposed to doing it in previous seasons that's all.

As NFL Network's Deion Sanders often says, "money makes you more of who you are." Some people become obsessed with what the sport of football provides them with: fame, prestige, national recognition, and women. While other athletes remain humble, hardworking, and tenacious in their pursuit of excellence. No one really knows how a big payday will influence an athlete not even the great Bill Bellichick. Let's hope the humility of all these TE's remains intact. Only time will tell.

All good points GoPats. I guess I just feel odd seeing Robert Kraft and Bill Belichick giving these TE's their money so quickly. If the "Patriot Way" is no man is more important to the success of this team, not even QB Tom Brady, it seems peculiar to me that NE is willing to sign these offensive weapons so swiftly. Gronk I get; Hernandez and Edelman I needed to see 1 more good season yet before I even think of securing their talents for a longtime. Any franchise must be wary of banking the Brinks truck up too quickly. Big paydays to the wrong person too early can make a person complacent and diminish their work ethic overall. Not a reflection on either Hernandez or Edelman per say; I just feel strange with NE spending BIG money so easily when they were so strongly opposed to doing it in previous seasons that's all.

As NFL Network's Deion Sanders often says, "money makes you more of who you are." Some people become obsessed with what the sport of football provides them with: fame, prestige, national recognition, and women. While other athletes remain humble, hardworking, and tenacious in their pursuit of excellence. No one really knows how a big payday will influence an athlete not even the great Bill Bellichick. Let's hope the humility of all these TE's remains intact. Only time will tell.

Oh believe me, I think we Pats fans are also kind of surprised to see them opening up the checkbook so willingly!

With Hernandez, I think there's a case of undeniable talent and productivity. He went in the 4th round of the 2010 draft because he had failed a drug test (for weed) or two at Florida. Had it not been for that, it's almost certain he would have gone in the second or third at latest. Just seeing how their offense was impacted by losing him was kind of an eye-opener. And with all the attention on Gronk, I've said since August that Hernandez would have a bigger season than his fellow TE. Maybe not now, of course, since he won't be back for at least a couple more weeks, but I think they're building a lot of it around him.

My biggest concern with Hernandez is his ability to stay healthy. He takes a lot of punishment and has been dinged up pretty often since his rookie year.

Oh believe me, I think we Pats fans are also kind of surprised to see them opening up the checkbook so willingly!

With Hernandez, I think there's a case of undeniable talent and productivity. He went in the 4th round of the 2010 draft because he had failed a drug test (for weed) or two at Florida. Had it not been for that, it's almost certain he would have gone in the second or third at latest. Just seeing how their offense was impacted by losing him was kind of an eye-opener. And with all the attention on Gronk, I've said since August that Hernandez would have a bigger season than his fellow TE. Maybe not now, of course, since he won't be back for at least a couple more weeks, but I think they're building a lot of it around him.

My biggest concern with Hernandez is his ability to stay healthy. He takes a lot of punishment and has been dinged up pretty often since his rookie year.

It is nice to see NE blow the cobwebs off their corporate checkbook and pay their playmakers faster than you used to. Maybe they realize that Tom Brady needs a plethora of weapons to win now and they did wisely address defense in the April draft. A smart move IMO.

You are correct GoPats as other NFL squads double team Gronk, Hernandez will be open on either slant routes or underneath pockets in the zone. No doubt Hernandez is a remarkable talent, even I can see that as a Colts fan it's undeniable. I still say RB's Ridley and Bolden are the key to AFC Championship success for your team this season. Woodhead is solid too in pass protection for Tom Brady and a tough little ground soldier to boot.

Yup, Hernandez does so many things for your offense that are often seldom talked about; he needs to be healthy and on the field at all times. No argument there.

Another vital piece to the Championship puzzle: I highly doubt that NE will face the NY Giants in a SB rematch for the 3rd time in franchise history. Statistically, that's almost impossible now. That should make you feel better GOPats. haha