Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would Polian have done this trade?

StewieG

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We didn't trade for Simon we signed him as a free agent.

Polian wouldn't have made this trade unless he thought it was the missing peace for a Super Bowl much like the Booger trade even though I think Davis's off the field issues would have been a deal killer.

Oh yes you are right. I for some reason just randomly though it was a trade. Thanks for correcting.

Polian would't trade for anyone period. He had like 1 trade his whole career.

Traded for Tryon, traded for Booger, had a trade in place for a Bills DT who failed a physical falling the deal to fall apart (not his fault). Traded up to get Ugoh and Moala. 5 without looking or thinking that hard. I don't think he would have been as active as Grigson is but he would do it if he felt it was right.

He did it for Booger.

I wonder how much Dungy had to beg and plead for that to happen.

I don't think he would have though in this situation

Next man up-Polian

Let's get someone who's better than anyone we have at that position- Griggs

Absolutely not. he would have stuck an undrafted free agent from the university of Athabasca in Calgary Canada and stuck with him no matter what and then defended his choice because he's a genius and nobody else is even in his ballpark when it comes to GM's.

He did it for Booger.

If Polian were rebuilding or reloading a team, knowing how he builds the team, through the draft, NOT A CHANCE.

It all depends on circumstances. The circumstances for the Booger trade were - we were not a reloading or rebuilding team and were a possible SB contender, and one of our established D-lineman in Montae Raegor had a car accident and suffered injuries that led him to go to IR during the middle of the season. WE HAD FEW OPTIONS.

We had an option here. Stand the ground and give up just a 3rd rounder, or take our chances with another offseason and draft. Has anyone given thought to the fact that Vontae Davis' value would have come down in the offseason that we might have to give up less later?

For a team with enough needs, a high draft pick is too valuable to be wasted. If Vontae Davis' work ethic issues show up again, it will be egg on the face for Grigson. I am hoping it works out for the Colts' sake. I remember the Dolphins wanting Kyle Orton from the Broncos and the Broncos wanted a 2nd round pick. Remember, QBs' asking price is MUCH higher. Dolphins said no and Kyle Orton gets released anyway and picked up by the Chiefs. Now, Kyle Orton is back up for the Cowboys. Dolphins did not pony up the pick. They took their lumps and it was not like Kyle Orton was the missing piece.

I dont think Vontae Davis is the missing piece, some think he is, and there in lies the key difference. Our secondary is still another CB and safety away from stellar, even with Davis, IMO. Besides, let us shore our run D and force opponents to pass for this trade to make a difference, then we can talk.

I know Polian did a few trades (namely the corey simon one and the booger mcfarland one)

I just wonder if Polian would have got a guy like Davis (who is known to not have a high work ethic and has had a few problems in the locker room)

No way Polian would have made this trade. If you had any hint of character concerns Polian was going to pass.

Given the fact that this team is in the process of rebuilding (or whatever word you want to put on it), I don't know that he (or myself for that matter) would have given up a 2nd round pick for Davis. Tons of physical talent but I think I would have dropped out of the bidding at a 3rd. Its hard to say though what was going on behind closed doors or what other teams were in the running. Grigson apparently believes the risk is worth the potential return. That puts it on the coaching staff and teammates to help him along. I think getting out of Miami will be a plus. If he does continue to get into trouble, just hope its not to the level of what Dez Bryant and the Cowboys agreed to.

In the end, I think it will work out ok and he'll become a solid starter. I just don't foresee Davis becoming a top 5 CB at this time.

Or talent

A little harsh on that one....I have been hard on Polian...in later years, but the man did have a zero tolerance for questionable character. Polian is a HOF GM.....the late years and Chris....another story IMO.

We can start in 1998 and talk talent........HMMMM.....I wonder who was picked...that Leaf guy? :)

A little harsh on that one....I have been hard on Polian...in later years, but the man did have a zero tolerance for questionable character. Polian is a HOF GM.....the late years and Chris....another story IMO.

We can start in 1998 and talk talent........HMMMM.....I wonder who was picked...that Leaf guy? :)

Check my earlier post. Polian cherry picked his 'principles' when it suited him. Plus, did he cut himself for having questionable character issues? Nope, he just hires his son and his nephew (?).

Polian had too much of an ego to make a trade. He believed if he didn't draft a player he would not make a trade for him. Besides, Davis is a talented,aggressive corner who isn't a smaller type - hardly the type of player Polian favored for the Colts.

What about all the trades he made, though?

I was talking about his trades. Polian never traded for anyone but flea market players. Never would've gone after a player of Davis' caliber -- don't care if his image was squeaky clean. I almost think Polian got off on being "that guy" who always finds the diamond in the rough.

Check my earlier post. Polian cherry picked his 'principles' when it suited him. Plus, did he cut himself for having questionable character issues? Nope, he just hires his son and his nephew (?).

I saw the Ed Johnson reference, and Polian still states his piece on character even as a member the media.....I happen to agree....with all of what you said.....and Chris was a GM...and now a scout.....another topic...and Dennis...? Dennis Miller? :)

Leaf blew it at the combine interviews...well actually blew it before that even. Leaf had a few red flags. I've always considered Polian to be an excellent GM.

5 time exec of the year.....no argument...winding toward possible retirement.....

I wonder if LEAF had used Manning's line..."If you don't pick me I will come hear and beat you for 15 years..." would it have been Leaf?......that part of the tree fell long ago...:)

I was talking about his trades. Polian never traded for anyone but flea market players. Never would've gone after a player of Davis' caliber -- don't care if his image was squeaky clean. I almost think Polian got off on being "that guy" who always finds the diamond in the rough.

Did go for Simon and McFarland as others have stated....major injuries.

As info, I am not big on a 2nd for Davis.....just my opinion though.

That's a hard question. The Colts have had a bad defense, but I don't think their secondary was ever in this bad situation. Vontae Davis is a very young, talented CB. When you have a coach like Pagano who is noted for working with secondary and a players coach, he might turn Davis into a Pro Bowler. In that case, I think Polian may have made this trade as well.

On another note, I think it is funny when people cite Polians ego. How he supposedly kept guys like Curtis Painter around just to prove he was right. The problem with that theory is that Polian has cut 3rd and 4th round picks before. Sweet Pea Burns, Marcus Howard, and Terrance Taylor had the rug pulled out pretty quickly to name a few. College free agents beat them out. Yet, that doesn't apply to Curtis Painter? I don't buy it. Sounds like a Brad Wells trick.

5 time exec of the year.....no argument...winding toward possible retirement.....

I wonder if LEAF had used Manning's line..."If you don't pick me I will come hear and beat you for 15 years..." would it have been Leaf?......that part of the tree fell long ago... :)

yeah I agree :) I enjoy when he's on NFL radio too - lots of good insight about front office workings. Leaf's interview was something about going to Vegas with his signing bonus. Supposedly the Colts' scouts favored Leaf while Polian and the coaching staff wanted Manning, but I'm not sure I buy into that....unless the scouts never actually talked to Leaf for any extended period.

I saw the Ed Johnson reference, and Polian still states his piece on character even as a member the media.....I happen to agree....

These owners kill me, conducting business with many peers who are fornicators, adulterers, alcoholics and druggies, yet expect their players to be some kind of moral compass to society. You obviously don't want to deal with someone who's a repeat offender and isn't trying to change, but people make mistakes. Forgiveness is a noble character trait as well

Did go for Simon and McFarland as others have stated....major injuries.

As info, I am not big on a 2nd for Davis.....just my opinion though.

We potentially got a major bargain, considering his skill-set. They easily could've asked for a 1st if they hadn't demoted him before the season.

Holy...

One of the first things Bill Polian did as GM of the Colts was to trade for Tyrone Poole. Contrary to popular opinion, Polian didn't spend his entire time here refusing to make trades for good players.