Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Back down to reality.

StewieG

Since today they game planned like its a real regular season game, the first half was alarming.

Our offensive line is going to get Luck absolutely killed if it is not fixed here soon. Urlacher has to be licking his chops right about now. Gavin was absolutely right when saying our o line will have problems.

We had no running game. Donald Brown wasn't able to do ANYTHING behind this line. Even Ballard struggled.

Our first team defense was pitiful against the run. They had over 100 yards by midway in the second quarter!

I know I may seem pessimistic, but like I said the team treats it like its a regular season game!

And we looked bad in nearly every phase of the game. Even special teams wasn't as good as it has been the last few games.

Last thought: I hope Whalen makes the team. He has looked great.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I basically posted the same thing in another thread. This is reality. We'll be playing a lot of max protect so as not to get Luck killed. We can't run the ball, no one is going to put a safety in the box. Luck will keep us in games with his accuracy.

Our D will not be able to play with the better teams. We can't stop a decent running team and our best CB can't stay healthy. And you're right, our STs looked bad again.

All that being said, I still think this is going to be a great team next year.

I basically posted the same thing in another thread. This is reality. We'll be playing a lot of max protect so as not to get Luck killed. We can't run the ball, no one is going to put a safety in the box. Luck will keep us in games with his accuracy.

Our D will not be able to play with the better teams. We can't stop a decent running team and our best CB can't stay healthy. And you're right, our STs looked bad again.

All that being said, I still think this is going to be a great team next year.

If Green Bay gets a good pass rush on us, they will crush us.

All this negatism after weeks of nothing but a lot praise is cracking me up. Ya, we stunk in just about every aspect of a football game today but its only one game with a very young team and new coaching staff.

Yes but they prepare like today is a regular season game. That first half is how they planned us to play in a regular season game. We looked absolutely dreadful.

I think we will be fine. I am as confident in that statement right now as i was last week after the Pittsburgh game. One bad game isnt going to sway me. I think we have some good young talent, and while I am concerned about the Oline I think they will be better once they gel. Calm down everyone. Everybody has a bad game

WOW! Patience here. Everyone now is calling for players and coaches heads now? We are a very young team, we have an young coaching staff an head coach being his first time ever being an head coach in the NFL. Calm down everyone. It might be a rocky season if it is then who cares. Manning only won 3 game during his rookie season. His team back then was young. We tore the big top down during the offseason now we are rebuilding. Things don't magically happened overnight it takes time.

Not to mention the play calling was so weak. Can someone explain why we ran it almost every time on first down in the first quarter? It never even worked.

And I also don't get not going for it on 4th down earlier in the game but we go for it on 4th down with a few minutes left in the game? We could have got a touchdown earlier in the game doing that too.

I think we will be fine. I am as confident in that statement right now as i was last week after the Pittsburgh game. One bad game isnt going to sway me. I think we have some good young talent, and while I am concerned about the Oline I think they will be better once they gel. Calm down everyone. Everybody has a bad game

Smartest post of this thread. Yeah, they looked bad today, every team has a bad game here and there, even the best of teams. Not to mention, were very young. Luck was still very good in the heat of being chased the entire time he was in there.

AMEN!!!!

we were in bad field position most of the 1st half because of the horrible run defense, the redskins knew we were gonna run the ball. mr. irsay if your reading this please trade freeney for a cb. freeney has been awful this entire preseason, just doesn't fit the 3-4. hughes is ready and fits the 3-4 well freeney is a waste of money right now.

Since today they game planned like its a real regular season game, the first half was alarming.

Our offensive line is going to get Luck absolutely killed if it is not fixed here soon. Urlacher has to be licking his chops right about now. Gavin was absolutely right when saying our o line will have problems.

We had no running game. Donald Brown wasn't able to do ANYTHING behind this line. Even Ballard struggled.

Our first team defense was pitiful against the run. They had over 100 yards by midway in the second quarter!

I know I may seem pessimistic, but like I said the team treats it like its a regular season game!

And we looked bad in nearly every phase of the game. Even special teams wasn't as good as it has been the last few games.

Serious question: If this game is bringing you back down to reality, what kind of expectations did you have before this game?

Calm down. We lost the war in the trenches today. Our O-line missed protection a lot. Didn't pick up blitz effectively. They need time to Gel and communicate with each other. Once the blocking calls get corrected our skilled players looked good on O.

I hope the trade brings in some upgrades along the line. Or at least we spend money next year with all that free cap money.

Serious question: If this game is bringing you back down to reality, what kind of expectations did you have before this game?

I was thinking 6 to 8 wins. But my point is if we play like we do today during the regular season, we may win only 4.

I was thinking 6 to 8 wins. But my point is if we play like we do today during the regular season, we may win only 4.

yeah, we may only win 4, but whats the difference in 4 wins or 6 wins? Not making the playoffs either way. People need to be smart about our team this yr. and realize we are a very young team with a bunch of new guys. Don't expect so much. They got exposed today in some areas. It was bound to happen, better now than in the regular season. At least they know now where some of the problems lie and they have a chance to correct some of them.

Were you thinking 6-8 wins before a couple of weeks ago?

I personally don't feel any different about this team than I did before the preseason started. Five to seven wins, if you ask me. The reason we won't win more is because of the issues that plagued us today: a run defense that's still in the works (I think we have the players and the scheme, but some wrinkles need to be ironed out), and an offensive line with significant holes. Four win teams have bad quarterbacks, and offenses that can't get first downs. I think, even with the issues we had on offense today, we'll still be able to move the chains, which we did even in this game.

The reason I asked the question to begin with is because the topic of this thread suggests that you were thinking we were on our way to the playoffs, and now you're just realizing that we have problems in the trenches. These are the same problems we've been discussing all offseason. Maybe this game was a reality check, but I think maybe some of us might have gotten carried away over the past couple of weeks. We definitely have a winner at quarterback, and we have nice young receivers, and we have some players on defense. But we're still not ready to challenge for a playoff spot.

Funny how the more things change they stay the same. These are all demons that we hoped to exorcise with the regime change. Results may take longer than anticipated. This was a good litmus test of where this team is at right now. Still standing by my 5-11 prediction.

I feel the Colts might be a pretty decent home team and the schedule at home helps us outside a few. (like the Packers)

But, the road schedule will be much more daunting.

At home the Colts might rally to a few more wins then we expect possibly.

Were you thinking 6-8 wins before a couple of weeks ago?

I personally don't feel any different about this team than I did before the preseason started. Five to seven wins, if you ask me. The reason we won't win more is because of the issues that plagued us today: a run defense that's still in the works (I think we have the players and the scheme, but some wrinkles need to be ironed out), and an offensive line with significant holes. Four win teams have bad quarterbacks, and offenses that can't get first downs. I think, even with the issues we had on offense today, we'll still be able to move the chains, which we did even in this game.

The reason I asked the question to begin with is because the topic of this thread suggests that you were thinking we were on our way to the playoffs, and now you're just realizing that we have problems in the trenches. These are the same problems we've been discussing all offseason. Maybe this game was a reality check, but I think maybe some of us might have gotten carried away over the past couple of weeks. We definitely have a winner at quarterback, and we have nice young receivers, and we have some players on defense. But we're still not ready to challenge for a playoff spot.

I may have gotten carried away thinking we could win more games than what we probably will. I am just kind of bummed by our showing today. Our whole team looked asleep in the first half. Luck was the only one doing anything. If Luck didn't have good feet he could have been sacked 3 or 4 times!

I just hope Redding will help our run defense out, we just looked pathetic.

I think we still will win at least six games, we really do have to get healthy. I feel they went through the week as if it was a real game but did not add anything new to either side of the ball when it comes to play calling. Washington had a good D last year. they were not good on the offensive side thus why they jumped and got RG3. Just hope we find a key pickup for the OL during cuts.

Well one thing I was impressed with this game was the conversion rate on 3rd down. 7/11 while Luck was in, 6/9 in the 1st half, if I have it right. Even though it didn't lead to a lot of points due in part to horrid field position, that's pretty darn good for a young offense/ new system. I'm not down on this offense at all. The tackling and run defense today was another story...

All this bad stuff happened and yet we were in striking distance the whole time the starters played it was 14-7 when they came out. Run defense and blocking were bad at times but we still managed to keep it a one td game. People make it seem like the team was flat out horrible.

Well one thing I was impressed with this game was the conversion rate on 3rd down. 7/11 while Luck was in, 6/9 in the 1st half, if I have it right. Even though it didn't lead to a lot of points due in part to horrid field position, that's pretty darn good for a young offense/ new system. I'm not down on this offense at all. The tackling and run defense today was another story...

The 3rd down completion rate was so good mainly because of Luck. He was able to escape trouble and find the open guy.

All this bad stuff happened and yet we were in striking distance the whole time the starters played it was 14-7 when they came out. Run defense and blocking were bad at times but we still managed to keep it a one td game. People make it seem like the team was flat out horrible.

If we were playing against GB, or NE or any other team with a proven quarterback, we would have been down 30 points at halftime. You have to realize that Washington isn't a great team either, another reason why its alarming they spanked us in nearly every phase in the first half.

True, but his practice performances probably make him feel confident enough in what he is doing. He still is rushing majority of the time.

Whatever I still have an awful feeling that he may not adjust as well as many would like to see. Hope I'm wrong which I probably will be . haha

I'm really scared for the Chicago game now as well. If we play like this they will run ALL over us, and if we decide to sleepwalk thru the game like we did in the first half, we will be blown out.

Did you see the Bears starters play the first half of they're game? They have all kind of O line issues just like us and they let Eli Manning be almost perfect 17-21. Bartel made Tillman look like a undrafted free agent. Cutler running for his life. Forte was averaging less than .5 yards a carry.blocked punt. Yea they have alot of issues to get straightened out before people say they are going to kill us. (I already placed a friendly wager at school $50 colts beat Bears lol)

Did you see the Bears starters play the first half of they're game? They have all kind of O line issues just like us and they let Eli Manning be almost perfect 17-21. Bartel made Tillman look like a undrafted free agent. Cutler running for his life. Forte was averaging less than .5 yards a carry.blocked punt. Yea they have alot of issues to get straightened out before people say they are going to kill us. (I already placed a friendly wager at school $50 colts beat Bears lol)

I feel like a lot of o lines and offenses are not in sync lately, especially o lines. Maybe DEFENSE will get better this year around the league and the video game passing games of last season will have it a tad tougher.

I even saw that Brady and company get their rears handed to them early by the Bucs last night.

I wouldn't panic over any of this. Besides, the Colts are a work in progress and won't be as consistent as we would like yet.