Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

After 2 pre-season games, amongst starters where is the Colts biggest weakness?

SOMDColtsfan

I've been pleasantly surprised with the Colts this season. The O-Line still isn't what we've grown accustomed too, but they've been better than advertised going into the preseason.

Probably too early to tell, only because what I thought was our biggest need seems to have impressed me in the preseason to at least see what we've got for now.

It is hard to tell because the team has not shown the same thing in neither one of the games. I believe the team is soft at DB. Time will tell, the preseason is just that preseason. I believe the Colts are going to surprise alot of teams this year.

If Hughes turns out as advertised in the REAL season, then I will be really pleased that he is finally being used as intended. Freeney doesn't worry me yet; he hasn't seen a ton of time and they plan to use him more for rushing the passer and not dropping back so much (per Mike Chappell on JMV today). Saturday will tell us more about our D

Just curious, for those who feel DFree is less than we expected, are you looking for numbers? I have watched both games multiple times and I saw a guy putting pressure and getting close to sacks on several occasions. If he had 2 sacks right now because the other QB hesitated just a half second more would he now be showing us something?

I am just surprised that I see him putting a lot of pressure that maybe others aren't seeing? Are the expectations the same for a 3/4 OLB as they are for a 4/3 DE from a numbers stand point?

i didn,t think they would look this good on D ..after last years standing around in the cover two. thought the secondary was going to be a hot mess... jerry hughes might end up starting at OLB with Dwight freeney coming in fresh to rush (scary) still only been two preseason games... but so far so good..

Just curious, for those who feel DFree is less than we expected, are you looking for numbers? I have watched both games multiple times and I saw a guy putting pressure and getting close to sacks on several occasions. If he had 2 sacks right now because the other QB hesitated just a half second more would he now be showing us something?

I am just surprised that I see him putting a lot of pressure that maybe others aren't seeing? Are the expectations the same for a 3/4 OLB as they are for a 4/3 DE from a numbers stand point?

I agree. The only part of DFree's game that I have been disappointed with is that he has missed a couple of tackles in space. Plus they have dropped him into coverage a lot this preseason... so when you see that combined with Superman's break down of Suggs' snaps in certain games last year. You get the feeling that they are dropping him into coverage to a) get him some meaningful reps dropping into coverage and b) so teams don't get a lot of film on how the Colts will be using him. We all know that Freeney knows how to rush the passer, I am confident he didn't forget how to do that just because he doesn't put his hand on the ground as often.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the protection the O-line is giving luck. Still a little concerned about them, but as I have been for the past 3 years, I'm skeptical of our corners. They have looked pretty good in the first two preseason games, but if I were to pick a weakness, I guess thats where my concerns lay.

I havent seen the pressure you speak of, and he seems to be getting double teamed alot. Maybe thats why he seems non existent.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the protection the O-line is giving luck. Still a little concerned about them, but as I have been for the past 3 years, I'm skeptical of our corners. They have looked pretty good in the first two preseason games, but if I were to pick a weakness, I guess thats where my concerns lay.

I agree with this. O-line is a pleasant surprise and the CB has been meh, but that was to be expected.

I agree. The only part of DFree's game that I have been disappointed with is that he has missed a couple of tackles in space. Plus they have dropped him into coverage a lot this preseason... so when you see that combined with Superman's break down of Suggs' snaps in certain games last year. You get the feeling that they are dropping him into coverage to a) get him some meaningful reps dropping into coverage and b) so teams don't get a lot of film on how the Colts will be using him. We all know that Freeney knows how to rush the passer, I am confident he didn't forget how to do that just because he doesn't put his hand on the ground as often.

In the three or four series he's been a part of so far, he's actually had his hand on the ground plenty. The more pronounced difference I've noticed is that he's more committed to the run game. He actually completely overran a play-action (or maybe end around?) play against the Steelers because he was so devoted to supporting the run defense. Completely different from year's past, and that's whether he's in a two-point or three-point stance. He's been in on several plays, including supporting the run when he drops from a two-point stance.

If I had to pick something, I would say it is the tackling as a whole. I've seen countless times where our defenders just tried to tackle a guy by running into him and hoping they fell down. If they would have just wrapped the guy up they would have went down but several times they have just bounced off and gained another 5-7 yds.. With these young guys these days, everybody just wants to make a highlight reel instead of remembering the basic fundamentals and wrap the guy up. Been pretty pleased though with just about everything else.