Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jerry Hughes For Matt Leinart

TubaGuy

Okay, we definitely need some veteran help in our QB position. Matt Leinart has never fulfilled his potential, but he definitely has the arm for our pass-happy attack. He worked with a similar offense with the Cardinals. He also has the personal connection with Peyton, having filmed a commercial with him, Eli and Archie. I think that if Leinart came in, he could step in IF needed this season, and then go to school under Peyton and possibly be groomed to be the "heir apparent".

Now, the only catch is that Leinart is signed to a division rival. They won't give him up for peanuts. But Houston still needs help at DE. Currently with some of our FA pickups, we are actually a bit heavy at that position. I can see us giving up one of our "projects"...Jerry Hughes. He still has a lot of upside in an area Houston needs, and yet I'm not sure if he will ever truly develop his full potential here. So why not trade him now while he still has a lot of "upside" to get someone we could also use...at this point, desperately.

Thoughts??

It makes sense. I am not big on Hughes. I just dont think he has the strenght of a Mathis or Freeny. So his speed doesnt tranfer into a solid pass rusher like theirs. Leinart is better then then anyone we have behind Manning for sure. Might makes sense.

Agreed. I think it would atleast make them think; however, Matt will be able to translate atleast a little information to us if the trade goes down. Hard to trade your #2 in command to a division rival just mere weeks before you meet. I still am settled Peyton will start week 1. However, having Matt as an insurance would give me confidence to win Games 1 + 2 without Peyton.

We should try Hughes at OLB before we give up on him. He seems to play a lot better when he's standing up. I think he would be pretty scary blitzing from the OLB position with his great speed. I'm not garunteeing it will work but it's at least a shot.

This is the catch, Houston just switched to the 3-4 and I don't see how Hughes fits in? I'd be all for it. Of all the trade ____ for ____ threads, this one actually makes some sense and doesn't insult the fans intelligence. Lienart would be comforting behind Manning, but I think Houston would rather watch us fail rather than help us out, which is exactly what they'd be doing.

I am not crazy about it. I mean yes Leinart would be an upgrade over what we have right now but I just don't know if he's the right answer. By all acounts it takes two years to learn our offense and I am not sure Leinart can pick it up in two weeks. Also that seems to be over reacting to fix what is probably going to be a short term problem. I think if Peyton misses time it will probaly only be a week or two. I am not sure that Leinart would change the out come in those two games. Then we now have Leinart who is too old to be our future at QB after Manning stuck as a back up. He's not going to like that and is going to bolt as soon as his deal is up. So if we give up Hughes that means we are pretty much gettng nothing with that first round pick. Mean while we will have traded a guy who could be a pass rusher to a team within our division and team that is probably going to become our biggest division rival for the next few years. I think this trade would end up helping the Texans more than us. I would rather us go after a vet free agent or if we did make trade give up a pick for a guy. Again to me Sorgi makes the most sense to at least see if he can still play. Of course the Colts might have already done that and decided his injuries are just too much. If we can't get Sorgi I would like to see them see if maybe Kerry Collins wants to come out of retirment for one more year.

This is the catch, Houston just switched to the 3-4 and I don't see how Hughes fits in? I'd be all for it. Of all the trade ____ for ____ threads, this one actually makes some sense and doesn't insult the fans intelligence. Lienart would be comforting behind Manning, but I think Houston would rather watch us fail rather than help us out, which is exactly what they'd be doing.

See I think a 3-4 would work better for Hughes, if I recall he was a 3-4 pass rusher in college so he would just give the Texans more depth at the poistion. I think that is part of why Hughes is struggling here he is still trying to adjust from a 3-4 pass rushing linebacker more or less to a 4-3 pass rushing end.

why not? We got Anderson and Brayton to replace him. The only flaw is that he's a little expensive

Anderson and Brayton are not replacements for Hughes. Hughes was drafted to be a pass rushing end. Anderson and Brayton both got released by their teams becuase they were not good enough at pass rushing. We brought them in to be run stopping ends. Hughes replacement would have to be a guy like Chick.

See I think a 3-4 would work better for Hughes, if I recall he was a 3-4 pass rusher in college so he would just give the Texans more depth at the poistion. I think that is part of why Hughes is struggling here he is still trying to adjust from a 3-4 pass rushing linebacker more or less to a 4-3 pass rushing end.

That was my next question, what scheme did he play in college. Thank you for answering before I asked. Sounds like Tubaguy better get his butt on the phone and make some calls. We need help pronto!

With the state of our O-line, running game and our Defense it's going to take a good QB to run this offense. The only back up Qb's in the league that could possibly go out and win a game is Matt Flynn, Billy Volek and Vince Young if he's mentally stable that day. I'm not really into giving up on Hughes for a backup QB that will get a few more 1st downs then Painter.

That was my next question, what scheme did he play in college. Thank you for answering before I asked. Sounds like Tubaguy better get his butt on the phone and make some calls. We need help pronto!

lol Well, actually I'm at work so I might have to call the Texans when I get home! Seriously though, to get what you want/need you have to be willing to give up something of value. Hughes has been slow to develop, but he IS a first rounder. The Texans have a need here and their new system actually fits Hughes better. Our window of opportunity is closing, so we need to be more aggressive in finding a good QB to compliment Peyton...not only for now, but for the future. Leinart is still young, and with the right guidance I think he still has the potential. And look at our QB coach...another career backup that was thrust into the limelight and did a heck of a job. He understands what Leinart would be facing. I really do feel that all of the conditions could be "right".

I like it. I think Leinhart still has potential and realizes he needs to make the most of his second chance. He's young, and could take over for Manning when he retires, yet pro ready enough to be a stop gap this season as Manning heals.

Question is, will it get done? Perhaps. I think even Irsay, based on his tweets, knows the QB situation is precarious at best.

With the state of our O-line, running game and our Defense it's going to take a good QB to run this offense. The only back up Qb's in the league that could possibly go out and win a game is Matt Flynn, Billy Volek and Vince Young if he's mentally stable that day. I'm not really into giving up on Hughes for a backup QB that will get a few more 1st downs then Painter.

Lienart has shown flashes of extraordinary competence over the years, and by all accounts has improved upon that. No way SD lets go of Volek. Vince Young needs to stay at least 300 miles from Indianapolis, no thank you.

lol Well, actually I'm at work so I might have to call the Texans when I get home! Seriously though, to get what you want/need you have to be willing to give up something of value. Hughes has been slow to develop, but he IS a first rounder. The Texans have a need here and their new system actually fits Hughes better. Our window of opportunity is closing, so we need to be more aggressive in finding a good QB to compliment Peyton...not only for now, but for the future. Leinart is still young, and with the right guidance I think he still has the potential. And look at our QB coach...another career backup that was thrust into the limelight and did a heck of a job. He understands what Leinart would be facing. I really do feel that all of the conditions could be "right".

See, I think you are still giving up too much to get Leinart. Frankly we could probably get him for a mid to late round draft pick if we wanted too. Also I am not sure I would call Leinart a good compliment to Manning. He's a bigger name who was good in college but he has flamed out in the NFL. Some guys just don't make that jump. From what I can tell based on what I've heard people talk about Leinart he just doesn't have the work ethic you need and that's not something you can teach.

I also think having a third pass rushing end is more important than having a good back up QB just because I think if something happens to Manning we aren't winning a lot of games unless we have a Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers backing him. Peyton is just too important to our team to be over come. Now with that said I am not for the wave the white flag and surrender approach that having Painter or Orvlosky would be.

Also while Leinart is younger I think he's too old to be our future down the road after Manning. I also don't think Leinart is intereted in being a back up for another five years and would bolt once his deal was up.

As much as the Texans would't want to help us either we want to help the Texans either. Giving them Hughes could be giving them a huge weapon on defense. I don't think that's a smart move on our part.

For what, to hold the clipboard? Manning has never missed a start, and never will. Bank on it. Typical preseason "the sky is falling" stuff.

It stops being typical when the owner is openly admitting there is a chance Manning could miss games. From the sounds of Irsay last night it honestly sounds 50/50 rather Manning plays on opening day. This isn't 2008 when they said he'll be ready by opening day all pre-sseason. There is some legit concern here.

Also before we go back to the well Irsay is being secreative he doesn't do that. He's been nothing but honest when it comes to player injuries why would that change now? It's not to play mind games with the Texans either. They are going to prepare as if Manning is going to play no matter what we say unless Manning is still on the PUP list once the season starts.

Manning has never missed a start, and never will. Bank on it.

Manning has also never been 35 years old before. Nor has he ever had neck surgery on a bulging disk right before camp. The Bursa sack thing wasn't so worrisome as the injury had no potential to affect his throwing motion. I would like to see the Colts not position themselves for a washed up season if he did have to sit for an extended time.

It doesnt matter if we get the reincarnation of Johnny Unitas.. If Peyton isn't under center this team is not going to win games.. So trading for a bust wouldnt make much since to me.. To try to be competetive they can sign Jim Sorgi back.. He knows the offense better than anyone not named Peyton Manning...

I'm not sold on Leinart. He has been in the league for a while now and still hasn't done anything that would make me comfortable with him being a starting QB for us if Manning went down. Meanwhile, Hughes has only been in the league for one year and still has tons of potential. He has 2 of the best in the business to learn from in Freeney and Mathis and a great coach in Teerlink. If we keep one of either Hughes or Chick and they perform well, we can kind of keep the opposing offenses at bay since we switch up our personnel a little during games. If we keep both and they perform well, we can really keep offenses on their heels since Hughes and Chick have a different skillset than Mathis and Freeney. Leinart had a solid mentor in Arizona with Kurt Warner, I don't think it will be any different if you replace Warner with Manning as his mentor.

See, I think you are still giving up too much to get Leinart. Frankly we could probably get him for a mid to late round draft pick if we wanted too. Also I am not sure I would call Leinart a good compliment to Manning. He's a bigger name who was good in college but he has flamed out in the NFL. Some guys just don't make that jump. From what I can tell based on what I've heard people talk about Leinart he just doesn't have the work ethic you need and that's not something you can teach.

I also think having a third pass rushing end is more important than having a good back up QB just because I think if something happens to Manning we aren't winning a lot of games unless we have a Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers backing him. Peyton is just too important to our team to be over come. Now with that said I am not for the wave the white flag and surrender approach that having Painter or Orvlosky would be.

Also while Leinart is younger I think he's too old to be our future down the road after Manning. I also don't think Leinart is intereted in being a back up for another five years and would bolt once his deal was up.

As much as the Texans would't want to help us either we want to help the Texans either. Giving them Hughes could be giving them a huge weapon on defense. I don't think that's a smart move on our part.

I agree with this statement....Plus, I'd rather draft someone in the future and have Manning groom the potential heir to the Colts...Green Bay did that and it worked out well....I'm not about to write off Hughes yet...I think he can make the jump this season....

Lienart has shown flashes of extraordinary competence over the years, and by all accounts has improved upon that. No way SD lets go of Volek. Vince Young needs to stay at least 300 miles from Indianapolis, no thank you.

Yeah Matt Leinart has showed so much competence over the years that his college coach Pete Carrol wouldn't even give him a chance to compete against Tavaris Jackson for the starting QB spot!! Even though Leinart will be an improvement over Painter the result will end the same with a handful more of 1st downs.

Although I agree with this thread and said it made sense earlier. I will say I think we could get leinart cheaper if the Texans would trade him. Then use Hughes later for another trade down the road. Sorry i just dont like this Hughes dude. We need to trade him while we can still get something for him. I dont like how the Colts hold on to players to long until they have no trade value and then end up just releasing them for nothing in return. Its a waste of draft picks and money IMHO.

I don't think the Colts will trade for another QB. I'm going on the assumption that if Manning were to miss time at all it would be probably one game. You don't trade for a QB to start in, hopefully, one game.

If he starts the regular season on the PUP he will be ineligble for the first 6 games.

Best post of the thread.

I like it. I think Leinhart still has potential and realizes he needs to make the most of his second chance. He's young, and could take over for Manning when he retires, yet pro ready enough to be a stop gap this season as Manning heals.

Question is, will it get done? Perhaps. I think even Irsay, based on his tweets, knows the QB situation is precarious at best.

Leinart doesn't have any more potential than he has shown by now, and he's lacking in confidence to boot. Are you really going to trust him to pick up the System that Peyton Built and actually be effective in two weeks?

Also, the Texans just committed to keeping him with a contract; why are we all assuming they would just shovel him off? Furthermore, what logic, outside of the Madden rating system, would consider this a fair trade?

Hughes, on the other hand, has shown improvement this off-season; proving once again that this is a developmental defensive line scheme. I would rather have an alternative speed rusher who's showing signs of improvement (in just his 2nd season, mind you), than spend a fortune (yes, he would be expensive) for a back up QB who's potential should have peaked 3 years ago.

It's just not logical.