Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Measuring Luck's Success for rookie season.

WithSomeLuck12

Ok so let me start by saying that I support Luck 100% and wanted him over any other option besides Peyton. Anyway, my question is, if Peyton plays like a shell of himself, RG3 turns out to be a sub par QB, and Luck appears to be just decent, would you be happy for the short term? I don't know if anyone watched the Broncos play last night but IMHO Peyton looked bad. Granted he hasn't played since 10'. But 4-7 with one completion sliding through a defenders hands and another pass picked in one drive. Your thoughts?

IMHO it is hard to measure a rookie QB, as his performance depends on so many independent things, like how O-line can protect him, WRs and TEs are running good routes or not...

I think we can happy if Luck appears to be decent (which is very likely), that would be a nice start. He is rookie and must get accustomed to pace and atmosphere of NFL, he is going to receive real hard knocks...

this season will be about learning, and IMO learning is more important than results and numbers at this stage.

First of all, Peyton didn't look bad. He was a little off on two throws, threw a perfect end zone corner pass that should have been a TD, and threw a bullet across the field. Did you see Brady? I'd say they both played as expected for their first game.

At this point, his success or lack of it, and anything RG3 does, has nothing to do with evaluating Luck. You could say that matters for evaluating management if you want.

if Andrew plays like he has in practice and shows improvement each week I'll be happy. Record means nothing this year, IMHO.

I will measure Luck's success by how often he makes the same mistakes. Everybody knows mistakes are going to happen with a rookie QB. If he fails to learn from those then there is a problem. The kid is uber smart so I really don't see that being an issue. Would it be awesome if he went out and broke all the rookie QB records? Absolutely. Will I be upset if he doesn't? Absolutely not. I want him to work within his skill set, within the offense, and try not to be a superman on the field. If he can do that I will be more than happy. Best case scenario he throws for twice as many tds as ints and the Colts win 5-7 games this year. If that happens then I will be thrilled!

I don't know if anyone watched the Broncos play last night but IMHO Peyton looked bad.

No, he did not look "bad".

He moved the Broncos down the field, inside the redzone, with his usual command. There were some timing issues. Some of it was his receivers, some of it was Manning. Altogether, a vastly improved offensive unit for Denver this year.

People are way over scrutinizing him.

Per the topic; I'll just refer you to Smonroe's post. I would add that the number of sacks that Luck takes is something I'll be watching intensely. This single stat-line can be very indicative of how comfortable a QB is in his progression, as well as his sense of understanding NFL defenses, despite the condition of the O-line.

Does anyone know how RG3 did? This is gonna be an exciting year.

I'm an official member of the Griffin hate club. Much of this is because I have a natural aversion to "flashy" players.

That being said, he looked really good. There was nothing that I saw to feed the trolls such as myself. I'll be interested to see how he works out once teams start game-planning for him in the regular season.

I'm an official member of the Griffin hate club. Much of this is because I have a natural aversion to "flashy" players.

That being said, he looked really good. There was nothing that I saw to feed the trolls such as myself. I'll be interested to see how he works out once teams start game-planning for him in the regular season.

Right, RG3 looked poised and calm. I don't think he was off on any throws. Garçon caught one on the sideline and should have dragged his foot to stay in. It's way early to be crowning anyone, but the kid looks to be the real thing. Cant wait to see him on a run. Good for him, I hope he does well.

Right, RG3 looked poised and calm. I don't think he was off on any throws. Garçon caught one on the sideline and should have dragged his foot to stay in. It's way early to be crowning anyone, but the kid looks to be the real thing. Cant wait to see him on a run. Good for him, I hope he does well.

Wait Garcon caught a good pass?? Jk. But honestly I hope RG3 does well too. It'd make a heck of a storyline if a few years down the road RG3's Redskins and Luck's Colts faced each other in a Superbowl.

Ok so let me start by saying that I support Luck 100% and wanted him over any other option besides Peyton. Anyway, my question is, if Peyton plays like a shell of himself, RG3 turns out to be a sub par QB, and Luck appears to be just decent, would you be happy for the short term? I don't know if anyone watched the Broncos play last night but IMHO Peyton looked bad. Granted he hasn't played since 10'. But 4-7 with one completion sliding through a defenders hands and another pass picked in one drive. Your thoughts?

I thought Peyton and RG3 played well.......Peyton was playing in a misting rain with a new team.

He was accurate and, while his arm strnength is not what it was in his prime....its close to 2010 levels...

I was very pleased witn Peyton....Thomas ran a bad route on the end zone ball...

RG3 has a wonderful arm and he was good on short balls.......He's going to make some fundamentals mistakes and his footwork nesd work.....nobody's thrown a real NFL defense at him yet but I thought he was OK..

With that said, I expect Andrew Luck to look very good Sunday. Playing at home....with the crowd treating him like a rock star...and his receivers hungry for real passes....(and he's not playing the Bears) I think he'll look good, too....

I should add though that the first exhibition game is always very misleading

I will measure Luck's success by how often he makes the same mistakes. Everybody knows mistakes are going to happen with a rookie QB. If he fails to learn from those then there is a problem. The kid is uber smart so I really don't see that being an issue. Would it be awesome if he went out and broke all the rookie QB records? Absolutely. Will I be upset if he doesn't? Absolutely not. I want him to work within his skill set, within the offense, and try not to be a superman on the field. If he can do that I will be more than happy. Best case scenario he throws for twice as many tds as ints and the Colts win 5-7 games this year. If that happens then I will be thrilled!

Some good and interesting comments throughout this thread, but, for my money, this post by Mr. Blueblood is by far the best. I hope it will be read by others.... and re-read again and again.

heckuva read. Really good post. Nicely done. :thmup::worthy:

I don't know if anyone watched the Broncos play last night but IMHO Peyton looked bad. Granted he hasn't played since 10'. But 4-7 with one completion sliding through a defenders hands and another pass picked in one drive. Your thoughts?

You must have watched a different game than I did :???: I thought Peyton looked good, he looked relaxed, he looked "comfortable" and he drove his team down the field "like he does" perfect pass into the end zone, that should have been caught, but was tipped... He seemed to be getting into a rhythm with his new team, and left me wanting to see more. I, for one, am anxious and looking forward to seeing him play this year.

I didn't think Peyton Looked bad, but I didn't think he looked real good either. I guess thats to be expected since it was his first game action in over a yr. and a half. A few passes looked like wounded ducks, but that was always pretty normal for Peyton too. Overall, I think he will be fine and have a good season.

Back to Luck, I really hope people don't get all crazy with their expectations for him this yr.. many unknowns for this team this yr.. Maybe the O-line will be good and maybe they won't. Will all the new recievers, they will need time to develop chemistry and to actually learn the NFL game. As long as he progresses a little each week and gets more and more comfortable as the season goes on, then I think this yr. will be a success. Of course, there will be some that will expect way too from him and will be disappointed.

No i didnt see Brady and yes Peyton was off on 2 throws out of 7. I just don't feel good about that. Don't get me wrong i'd love to see Peyton win another Superbowl. Does anyone know how RG3 did? This is gonna be an exciting year.

RG3 looked decent one series TD to PG cant base anything on one preseason game tho.It did look like composure was there tho

You must have watched a different game than I did :???: I thought Peyton looked good, he looked relaxed, he looked "comfortable" and he drove his team down the field "like he does" perfect pass into the end zone, that should have been caught, but was tipped... He seemed to be getting into a rhythm with his new team, and left me wanting to see more. I, for one, am anxious and looking forward to seeing him play this year.

You are right on the money Gramz :thmup:

No, he did not look "bad".

He moved the Broncos down the field, inside the redzone, with his usual command. There were some timing issues. Some of it was his receivers, some of it was Manning. Altogether, a vastly improved offensive unit for Denver this year.

People are way over scrutinizing him.

The interception, he threw slightly behind Stokley. Other than that, it was typical Manning. Maybe better protection, circa 2005.

Peyton only did one drive and it should have ended in a touchdown. Did you catch the production of Brady, Breeze, or Rodgers? Same deal, they'll be fine.

Luck may go down the field twice and get stopped on 3rd down once and throw an interception the other, but if he at least learns something, it's a success, but let's hope it's like RG3 and "the games are easier than practice" lol

The interception, he threw slightly behind Stokley. Other than that, it was typical Manning. Maybe better protection, circa 2005.

I was surprised at how well they did in pass pro. I thought their interior line was supposed to be suspect, but they looked to be pretty solid.

Keep my guy upright Elway!!!

I was surprised at how well they did in pass pro. I thought their interior line was supposed to be suspect, but they looked to be pretty solid.

Keep my guy upright Elway!!!

The deep out to Decker (I believe), he had all day. No one near him. He could have written Irsay a love letter.

what i am afraid of is this. Luck is replacing one of the best QB's there ever was to play the game and us as fan were spoiled by this. Luck is going to be under a microscope because of this. Luck in not Peyton Manning but he is going to be compared to him and those are really big shoes to fill. it is unfair to compare him to Manning. I hope us fans will give Luck a chance to learn his postion and realize he is just a rookie. I do believe he will have success in this league.

I will be satisfied with Luck if he improves each week of the season and doesn't make the same mistakes over and over. If the o-line can protect him he will have success but if he can handle himself well under pressure of a pass rush that will be a bonus also. This year the defense has to step up so it takes some of the pressure off Luck. i can see us winning 8 games or more if all the pieces fall in place. but we must realize that this year we have a new coaching staff along with a rookie QB and it may take some time for this team to hit on all cylinders.