Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

As Much As I Hate To Say This... The Patriots Will Be The Best Team In The Afc Next Year

Andy

I'm one of the biggest Colts fans you'll find, and saying this kills me inside. The Patriots dominated last year; Brady looked great, they now the have Ocho, and an ever improving Hernandez. They're only getting better. What do you guys think?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the preseason. The Colts look terrible EVERY preseason, but have been to 2 Super bowls in the past five years, winning one. The Pats rolled everyone last year and gagged in the playoffs. They haven't done anything in the playoffs since the 18-1 debacle. I think they will be better this year, but not better than a non-2010 Colts team (i.e. 19 IR'd players)

And remember, the Colts nearly beat (I know, nearly isn't a win) the Pats last year, without a TON of starters. With a decently healthy Colts team, I'd say it will be a battle just like every Pats/Colts game.

Yes the Pats look strong, but winning the preseason doesn't mean anything.

It's the preseason. The Colts look terrible EVERY preseason, but have been to 2 Super bowls in the past five years, winning one. The Pats rolled everyone last year and gagged in the playoffs. They haven't done anything in the playoffs since the 18-1 debacle. I think they will be better this year, but not better than a non-2010 Colts team (i.e. 19 IR'd players)

And remember, the Colts nearly beat (I know, nearly isn't a win) the Pats last year, without a TON of starters. With a decently healthy Colts team, I'd say it will be a battle just like every Pats/Colts game.

winning may not mean anything..but looking good does.

This ol' preseason games don't mean anything simply because the colts don't win many is hooey.

The Patriots look SCARY good right now.

But, it's preseason. But man, does that 4-3 personnel look outstanding.

We know that the offense will be excellent as usual, but man, if this is the defense that we'll see this season... watch out.

How is this 10 year vet Carter so fast? He's all over the QB.

This ol' preseason games don't mean anything simply because the colts don't win many is hooey.

yeah, the Pats looked great all season en route to a choke job against the Jets.....the preseason means a lot to the Colts, just in a different way. It means a chance to find out who the quality backups are, who the diamonds in the rough are, etc. It's not hooey b/c they don't care about W's in the preseason. They just approach it differently. Blowing teams out in meaningless games means nothing...We'll see come the regular season...I expect both teams to be the class of the AFC. It should be a great game as usual come December

Who said that winning in preseason counts?

Put words in peoples' mouths much?

The fact is that they're looking extremely good. Particularly the defense.

Yes, the Patriots were 14-2 last year; that was primarily because of the offense, as the young defense was learning on the fly.

This year, with a potentially outstanding defensive line, the team could (key word) have that balance that was so potent during their 2001-2005 run.

yeah, the Pats looked great all season en route to a choke job against the Jets.....the preseason means a lot to the Colts, just in a different way. It means a chance to find out who the quality backups are, who the diamonds in the rough are, etc. It's not hooey b/c they don't care about W's in the preseason. They just approach it differently. Blowing teams out in meaningless games means nothing...We'll see come the regular season...I expect both teams to be the class of the AFC. It should be a great game as usual come December

Wow, are you kidding me?

Is reading that difficult? Who's saying that the point of this game is for the Patriots to blow out the Bucs?

This is the FIRST time that their new defensive starters are playing on the d-line. They're using this game to see how well they get after the QB... which is pretty impressive so far.

BB uses preseason games to make personnel decisions, to try out new and old schemes, etc.

Man, stop getting so frickin' bent out of shape.

Yeah I know ..heard it a 100 times..the colts are the only ones that use preseason to look at backups. All the other 31 teams field starters to win. Check.

Its not even about blowing teams out..

its about executing what you learned in training camp as a GROUP.

Think of preseason as a dress rehearsal. The band practices..does some dress rehearsals and then takes the show on the road.

Depending on how you look at it, you could consider the Pats to be the AFC's best team every year. Change how you look at it and you could say the same thing for the Colts. The Pats will field a very strong, competitive team as they always do, but the Colts will do the same as well. There are also many things you can't predict. What if Ocho tweets something crazy that annoys Belichick and he gets released? What if Haynesworth says something stupid in a press conference and he gets released? What if a string of injuries hits the Pats? What if the Pats suddenly get penalized often and lose games because of it (don't say it won't happen, Coughlin's Giants were playing very undisciplined football at the start of last year and that is very uncharacteristic of a Coughlin-led team)? All of these same things could be said for the Colts too. It's impossible to say who will be the best team next year, just wait until the season starts and we have some regular seasons games to base it off of

Depending on how you look at it, you could consider the Pats to be the AFC's best team every year. Change how you look at it and you could say the same thing for the Colts. The Pats will field a very strong, competitive team as they always do, but the Colts will do the same as well. There are also many things you can't predict. What if Ocho tweets something crazy that annoys Belichick and he gets released? What if Haynesworth says something stupid in a press conference and he gets released? What if a string of injuries hits the Pats? What if the Pats suddenly get penalized often and lose games because of it (don't say it won't happen, Coughlin's Giants were playing very undisciplined football at the start of last year and that is very uncharacteristic of a Coughlin-led team)? All of these same things could be said for the Colts too. It's impossible to say who will be the best team next year, just wait until the season starts and we have some regular seasons games to base it off of

Come on, don't be so logical. You know we have to have a best team before there is a best team when in the end there may not be a best team..just a SB winner:)

Comment Is Abusive & Hasnt Been Removed

Reggie Wayne > Chad Ochocinco

Dallas Clark > NE TE Any Name

Joeseph Addai > NE RB BJGE (Pass Blocking Considered)

Freeney > N

Harris > E

Johnson > D

Mathis > L

Moala > I

Nevis > N

Anderson > E

We Added Lb Sims lost Session But still have brackett & angererererer name a NE lb who wasnt banta cain (whos not there anymore)

Bethea & Bullit > NE Safety Duo (granted bullit hasnt proven much yet but i liked what i seen when he did play & if he doesnt preform joe L right behind him)

& I D C

what u say

PEYTON MANNING >>> TOM BRADY

So Can We End The HYPE PLEASE THIS IS A COLTS BLOG LETS SOUND LIKE IT BLEED BLUE GO COLTS !

Wow, are you kidding me?

Is reading that difficult? Man, stop getting so frickin' bent out of shape.

Its ironic that you're throwing flames like a volcano and telling other people to calm down. Relax fella.

Yes, as usual, the Pats are lookin sharp and whats more, they have pieces in place to remain sharp for years to come. I'm kinda jealous :worthy:

Freeney > N

Harris > E

Johnson > D

Mathis > L

Moala > I

Nevis > N

Anderson > E

We Added Lb Sims lost Session But still have brackett & angererererer name a NE lb who wasnt banta cain (whos not there anymore)

Bethea & Bullit > NE Safety Duo (granted bullit hasnt proven much yet but i liked what i seen when he did play & if he doesnt preform joe L right behind him)

& I D C

what u say

So Can We End The HYPE PLEASE THIS IS A COLTS BLOG LETS SOUND LIKE IT BLEED BLUE GO COLTS !

Are you honestly trying to tell me that the DT's of the Colts are better than Wilfork and Haynesworth/Warren?

Please tell me you're joking.

Oh, and Mayo is MUCH better than ANY Colt LB. Pretty much indisputable. Led the NFL in tackles 2 out of his first 3 seasons.

175 tackles last year.

I'll guarantee that the Patriots D will be better than the Colts' in every important defensive secondary.

Oh, and let me know when Peyton ever has had a year like Brady's last year. Show me a year when Peyton has had a 9:1 TD to INT ratio.

You don't even know how Peyton will be with his neck. He'll be rusty out of the gate, one would think.

Freeney > N

Harris > E

Johnson > D

Mathis > L

Moala > I

Nevis > N

Anderson > E

& I D C

what u say

I love the Colts but hate blind homerism.

Yes, this is a Colts forum. It doesn't mean that our members should ignore the obvious if they wish to be taken seriously.

New England is a top tier franchise through and through. They do more than simply match-up with us. They have their strengths over us, and we have ours over them. Lay it all out for inspection and it appears that NE is far better on paper. Lets hope the same isn't true on the field. We shall find out soon enough, but preseason isn't the time for it.

Are you honestly trying to tell me that the DT's of the Colts are better than Wilfork and Haynesworth/Warren?

Oh, and Mayo is MUCH better than ANY Colt LB. Pretty much indisputable. Led the NFL in tackles 2 out of his first 3 seasons.

175 tackles last year.

I'll guarantee that the Patriots D will be better than the Colts' in every important defensive secondary.

Oh, and let me know when Peyton ever has had a year like Brady's last year. Show me a year when Peyton has had a 9:1 TD to INT ratio.

You don't even know how Peyton will be with his neck. He'll be rusty out of the gate, one would think.

Haynesworth hasn't PLAYED yet, pal...b/c he's too FAT! He may have passed his physical (barely) he's not in football shape or he'd be out there. Mayo is good, but the WHOLE CORE isn't as good as the Colts LB package. Peyton had a year like Tommy, 2004. And he didn't play in blowouts to do it, sat down when games were out of hand, unlike Brady in 2007.

You are getting me fired up! CAN'T WAIT (you might remember that line...) for December

175 tackles last year.

It may not be last year, but here are the numbers from what are widely considered both players' best years

Peyton Manning (2004): 336 of 497 for 4,557 yards, 49 touchdowns and 10 interceptions.

Quarterback Rating: 121.1

Tom Brady (2007): 398 of 578 for 4,806 yards, 50 touchdowns and eight interceptions.

Quarterback Rating: 117.2.

Haynesworth hasn't PLAYED yet, pal...b/c he's too FAT! He may have passed his physical (barely) he's not in football shape or he'd be out there. Mayo is good, but the WHOLE CORE isn't as good as the Colts LB package. Peyton had a year like Tommy, 2004. And he didn't play in blowouts to do it, sat down when games were out of hand, unlike Brady in 2007.

You are getting me fired up! CAN'T WAIT (you might remember that line...) for December

Listen, "pal", BB has a track record of not starting new veterans. Look at what they did with Moss in '07; he didn't play a SNAP in the preseason.

What'd he do that season? Oh, that's right, set the all-time TD reception record, helping Brady to win the single-season record for TD passes.

By the way, by all accounts Haynesworth has slimmed down quite a bit; he's not playing simply to make sure that his knee is 100%.

lol at your Peyton 2004 comparison. Yep, never played in blowouts... you mean, like that Lions Thanksgiving game, when Peyton was throwing TD pass after TD pass on the hapless Lions? Yep.

By the way, the following Patriot STARTERS did not play last night:

Shaun Ellis

Cunningham

Brandon Spikes

Haynesworth

This defense will be very, VERY interesting this year.

It may not be last year, but here are the numbers from what are widely considered both players' best years

Peyton Manning (2004): 336 of 497 for 4,557 yards, 49 touchdowns and 10 interceptions.

Quarterback Rating: 121.1

Tom Brady (2007): 398 of 578 for 4,806 yards, 50 touchdowns and eight interceptions.

Quarterback Rating: 117.2.

lol at your use of the QB rating as your most important stat.

Anyone who follows football closely knows that QB rating is one of the most misinformed stats in football.

Did you see that new QB stat that ESPN released, the one that supposedly takes everything into account in terms of a QB's production, called Total Quarterback Rating?

Did you see how much higher Brady was rated over Peyton?

Peyton Manning: 69.5

Tom Brady: 76.0

Not... even... close...

Its sad, really...

Anyone who follows football closely knows that QB rating is one of the most misinformed stats in football.

Did you see that new QB stat that ESPN released, the one that supposedly takes everything into account in terms of a QB's production, called Total Quarterback Rating?

Not... even... close...

While i'm not sold on the ESPN Total QBR because it seems like it's subjected with opinion as much as it is with fact, but since you are tooting its horn so much.

Did you see who had the two highest seasons of the season's they have tabulated to date?

1 2009 Peyton Manning IND 660 82.3

2 2008 Peyton Manning IND 649 79.7

3 2009 Drew Brees NO 613 77.2

4 2010 Tom Brady NE 607 76.0

5 2008 Matt Ryan ATL 570 72.6

6 2008 Chad Pennington MIA 577 72.3

7 2009 Philip Rivers SD 602 71.8

8 2008 Jay Cutler DEN 741 71.3

9 2009 Matt Schaub HOU 694 71.0

10 2009 Aaron Rodgers GB 717 69.7

11 2010 Peyton Manning IND 779 69.5

Manning's worst statistical season and a clear down year is the 11th best individual season over the 3 season's tabulated. Now that is sad, that Manning's off year was better than Brady's 2009.

So again while i'm not sold on the Total QBR, even though it gives Manning it is an interesting concept that I would like to see more information on. At least with the historical QB rating, a yard is a yard, and it's not based on anyone's opinion.

But on topic of the the thread, the Patriots should be a favorite. They have the best coach in the game,the best offensive scheme in the game, a great quarterback, and an improving defense.

Except that I never claimed that either QB rating stat is a clear indicator. In my opinion, neither one tells anything clearly.

Um, btw, you DO know that Brady didn't play in '08, right, except for one drive?

Yeah I meant to remove the 08 from the post. While you might not claim that it's a clear indicator, dismissing the Historic rating and promoting the new one makes it seem that you prefer it over the old one as a clear indicator.

One the things that I dislike about the TOtal QBR is the inability to easily analyze year to year. To compare Manning's 04 vs. Brady's 07. Or Marino's 84 for that matter.

From what I've read on a lot of opinion based data is being included. Like how people argue drop passes. Many feel their team should be credited for more than they usually are. Too much bias can be included in the TQBR for my preference. While a yard down by 3 in the 4th quarter is equal to a yard up by 17 in the 4th quarter. It is interesting I just need to see more about information on it.

Not... even... close...

Thats actually pretty close, mathematically speaking.

People that argue endlessly about Tom and Peyton and who's the best seem to care more about idolizing than they care about football.

I got a little nugget of wisdom for ya.....if you have to contrive a complex mathematic formula, study it, crunch the numbers and break down every tick and tock, than there probably isn't much of a difference.

Check this out though, since you like formulas and rating systems .....

I call it the Ruksak QB Rating System. It is very complicated and requires an advanced knowledge of mathematics and football, but it delivers a precise barometer of a QB's worth.

Using my formula I have tabulated the following results;

Tom Brady: Hall of Fame Freak with great hair

Peyton Manning: Hall of Fame freak with boring hair

So there you have it. They are tied. Because hairstyle isn't important to Quarterbacking.

Nobel Peace Prize please?

Except that I never claimed that either QB rating stat is a clear indicator. In my opinion, neither one tells anything clearly.

Um, btw, you DO know that Brady didn't play in '08, right, except for one drive?

this guy is a huge troll

QB Rating shows Manning having the highest QB rated season of the 2

troll uses QBR as an argument for Manning and Bradys 2010 season

then later QBR reveals Manning has had the best season to date

all of a sudden QBR sucks too

gtho

Thats actually pretty close, mathematically speaking.

People that argue endlessly about Tom and Peyton and who's the best seem to care more about idolizing than they care about football.

I got a little nugget of wisdom for ya.....if you have to contrive a complex mathematic formula, study it, crunch the numbers and break down every tick and tock, than there probably isn't much of a difference.

Check this out though, since you like formulas and rating systems .....

I call it the Ruksak QB Rating System. It is very complicated and requires an advanced knowledge of mathematics and football, but it delivers a precise barometer of a QB's worth.

Using my formula I have tabulated the following results;

Tom Brady: Hall of Fame Freak with great hair

Peyton Manning: Hall of Fame freak with boring hair

So there you have it. They are tied. Because hairstyle isn't important to Quarterbacking.

Nobel Peace Prize please?

I still think hair should be worth 1 point :)

God how did this turn into another Brady v Manning thread?

Back on the original topic:

The Pats D LOOKS like it is going be scary especially the Pass Rush.... (but only preseason so..)

The Pats O is well the Pats O scary effective and good.

All said The Pats SHOULD be a contender again this year, and hopefully give sanchize the turtle syndrome.

As a Colts fan I have to say I'm a little concerned right now. I think there are unknowns in the oline and the dline for sure right now. I think they will be alright, but I'm not completely stoked about either right now. The goal I think for the Colts is to gel as the year goes on and avoid some injuries and then we'll see. I think this team could make a superbowl run if things go right.

The Pats look better right now and did seem to stock up in the off season. I have a theory: I think BB really wants to win the Superbowl in Indy. I think he is really focused on and and this had something to do with all of the off season activity (taking a chance on the older vets).

If I remember correctly, Peyton actually had a higher QBR for his career than Brady, but I could be wrong. With that said, why do you people get so worked up about who is better? Peyton and Brady can NEVER be compared. They play in different systems with different coaches with different players of different abilities, their style is different, they got into the league differently, I could go on and on. They are both HOF QBs, just leave it at that. You will never determine who is better. You can have your opinion, but you will never convince Pats fans that Manning is better and you will never convince Colts fans that Brady is better.

As a Colts fan I have to say I'm a little concerned right now. I think there are unknowns in the oline and the dline for sure right now. I think they will be alright, but I'm not completely stoked about either right now. The goal I think for the Colts is to gel as the year goes on and avoid some injuries and then we'll see. I think this team could make a superbowl run if things go right.

The Pats look better right now and did seem to stock up in the off season. I have a theory: I think BB really wants to win the Superbowl in Indy. I think he is really focused on and and this had something to do with all of the off season activity (taking a chance on the older vets).

Let me dispel your theory:) BB just wants to win, game by game. He wouldn't go for a SB just because its in Indy. Now Pats fans otoh I'm sure would bask:)

He hasn't stockpiled anymore this year than any other. Its his way of retooling each year. Pats fans never see the same team each year. He drafst his core group and supplements with vets. ;)

Its also about the defense since we know NE has been able to score for sometime now.

He coaches to a players abilities and as those abilites rise he pulls the trigger more.

So in the 09 rookie defense season he played them vanilla not asking more than they can do. 2010 he gives them more options based on what he sees.

By 2011 if these rookies have progressed (and they have) he pulls the trigger on them even more..turn them loose so to speak. That was very evident in last nights game..the defense was more confident.. and that was only preseason.

If I remember correctly, Peyton actually had a higher QBR for his career than Brady, but I could be wrong. With that said, why do you people get so worked up about who is better? Peyton and Brady can NEVER be compared. They play in different systems with different coaches with different players of different abilities, their style is different, they got into the league differently, I could go on and on. They are both HOF QBs, just leave it at that. You will never determine who is better. You can have your opinion, but you will never convince Pats fans that Manning is better and you will never convince Colts fans that Brady is better.

I don't think it really matters. Both are great, and both need a team around them to succeed.

Why must a Patriots discussion always turn into a Manning vs. Brady debate? (Manning, obviously!) That being said, Patriots look scary good right now. They are seriously clicking and we haven't even seen the complete D-line play. They have metamorphosed into their own version of Colts offensive weaponry with Hernandez, Ridley, and Ochocinco (And the usual starters). Alls I can say is that Belichick has serious plans for that Patriots team. Right now, with Manning out and unable to mask some of our weaknesses, we do not "appear to be much of a threat". Hopefully everything will come full circle by the time regular season starts.

Exactly. While QB is the most important position in football, when was the last time Brady or Manning blocked a pass rusher, caught a TD, took a handoff, made a tackle?

Exactly, and it's a big reason why it's pointless to measure QBs by team accolades such as Super Bowl wins. It will always end in the comment that Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson won one while the likes of Marino and Kelly didn't.

No JJ, the preseason doesn't mean anything because the games don't count.

No JJ, the preseason doesn't mean anything because the games don't count.

No Jaric. The score doesn't count.That's where it ends. Everything back to training camp does count. Or they wouldn't need to do it.

You teach,coach,practice,do a couple dress rehearas.....

The Bucs starters were shocked the pats came after them. They learned something that they will take with them and luckily the score doesn't count.

This notion every season "well the colts are different they play preseason to look at players and diamonds in the rough" What the heck ya think the other 31 teams do. And speaking of diamonds lol..whatta ya bring in rocks and pray for a diamond?

Dude..you're supposed to see what ya got in preseason by, ahem, playing so you know what you got going into the season.

90 man roster..how many of those 37 players you really think are going to make the team. Your team is 95% set going into preseason.

Nothing new. The Patriots are usually one of if not the best team in the NFL.

As always, the technically "best" team doesn't always win the Superbowl.

yep...just the destined team... whoever that may be;)

A team that plays the best AS a team;)