Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gonzalez Out With Hamstring Injury

SilentHill

So not a story. We expected hamstring issues months ago due to the lockout. If he strained it slightly, the right decision is to sit him down for a few days, let him get some treatment, and then ease him back into full activities. Other wise it could be a serious problem for a long time. This is the same hamstring issue Garcon had at the beginning of last year. It didn't get better until we sat him for two weeks, and then he was fine.

I'm just curious. Do you have to have "Superman" as at least part of your handle in order to make any sense in this thread?

(you're both just toooo rational)

TO is possibly having knee surgery in Sept. Sign Moss and get rid of Gonzo.

Moss is retired so I don't know if he wants to be signed by us. We aren't going to cut Gonzo because his contract runs out at the end of the year anyways.

Also signing Moss is just asking for trouble, the dude wore out his welcome with THREE teams in one season. He has a history of doing it with other teams. Dudes like that don't change.

Moss should just start showing up to the Colts' practices and preseason games and watch with the rest of the fans. It'd create a huge media buzz and he'd get more familiar with what they are doing offensively. Plus the coaches would keep seeing him sitting over there watching while several of our WRs are sitting out injured and it'd only be a matter of time before we went ahead and signed him. That'd be awesome! Not signing him, that'd be cool and everything, but it'd be awesome for him to keep showing up at practice and games and putting pressure on us to sign him. It'll obviously never happen, but would be awesome to see...

I like it.

So I take it Gonzo has done away with the hyperbaric (sp?) chamber? As a previous poster stated, when do we start the question the strength & conditioning coaches?

That post makes me crazy. The comments below are directly from a post I said yesterday in another thread and is worth repeating here.

The Colts essentially are a multi-million dollar corporation whose very success is directly tied to the health of its players. You don't think they turn over every stone possible in an effort to get their guys on the field? This includes the latest in health, nutrition, excercise, etc. You name it, I would bet they have looked at it. This is a team that I have personally witnessed practice how they stand for the National Anthem. So it unfathomable to me that Gonzo's and others injuries are due a lack of proper work by the strength and conditioning coaches.

I think what he was getting at is:

1 is a fluke

2 is a coincidence

3 is a trend

8-10 something is really wrong.

however it is a trend from just about every NFL team and I wouldnt take some of the injuries too seriously, if it were a regular season game most would probably be playing through them....

:bills:

Injury update

Not participating Thursday and not looking good for Saturday’s preseason game against Denver were Justin Rogers, Kelvin Sheppard, Shawne Merriman, Kellen Heard, Chris Hairston, Craig Davis, Shawn Nelson and Chris White.

:dolphins:

Left tackle Jake Long, tight end Mickey Shuler, linebacker Mickey Shuler and guard Garrett Chisolm continued to work on the side with the training staff. .

:jets:

Center Nick Mangold (stinger), right guard Brandon Moore (hip) and backup quarterback Mark Brunell (pinkie) all participated in team drills.

Linebacker Bart Scott (leg), nose tackle Sione Pouha (left knee) and Marcus Dixon (knee) all did not participate in team drills.

:bengals:

The Bengals did have an unusual number of pulled muscles at one position—wide receiver—but they believe it ended up team-wide with about the same number of pulls as at a regular training camp. What was different is that they think pulls were all moderate and none were severe....A.J. Green, who left Wednesday's practice with sore muscles around the knee,.... No. 1 tight end Jermaine Gresham didn't practice all week with an unknown ailment....Left end Carlos Dunlap (knee) also missed every practice this week....Same with rookie running back Jay Finley, unknown ailment. Cornerback Brandon Ghee (hamstring) who has barely practiced this camp, was also out.

:browns:

Ward was removed from Wednesday’s practice for precautionary reasons, as was running back Peyton Hillis (hamstring). Left guard Eric Steinbach left practice early when his back tightened up.

“This is the time of year where you start to get soft-tissue injuries and I wouldn’t call those injuries yet,” Shurmur said. “There was a lot of good work that got done, so it was just precautionary with T.J. and Peyton.”

:steelers:

Tomlin on injuries: “We have a number of guys that are in the process of working themselves into participation in different forms and fashions. A lot of guys participating in individuals: Chris Kemoeatu, Cortez Allen, Curtis Brown and others. We’ll just continue to march those guys back. Some of the new injuries: Shaun Suisham had an illness; Brett Keisel sustained an ankle injury in the game; Arnaz Battle’s knee is swollen; Aaron Smith’s knee is swollen as well. Baron Batch is scheduled to get his surgery on Wednesday. Other than those things, we’re moving forward.”

it goes on just about every team.

That post makes me crazy. The comments below are directly from a post I said yesterday in another thread and is worth repeating here.

The Colts essentially are a multi-million dollar corporation whose very success is directly tied to the health of its players. You don't think they turn over every stone possible in an effort to get their guys on the field? This includes the latest in health, nutrition, excercise, etc. You name it, I would bet they have looked at it. This is a team that I have personally witnessed practice how they stand for the National Anthem. So it unfathomable to me that Gonzo's and others injuries are due a lack of proper work by the strength and conditioning coaches.

I would hope so, jskinnz. I just find it ironic that the player, who seems to take an extra step to prevent injury, is off the field more than he's on it. It's like Bob on offense.....

You mean the guy that had surgery in the off season and is over the hill?

I think the Colts should sign TJ at this point. Plus he's already interested.

He is interested, but he wants to be on the other side of Reggie. ie, Garcon not starting, or mixing Garcon in slot with Collie. I think the team said no.

I could be wrong, but that's what I gathered from why he hasn't signed yet. Wants a bigger role than we want to give him.

I would hope so, jskinnz. I just find it ironic that the player, who seems to take an extra step to prevent injury, is off the field more than he's on it. It's like Bob on offense.....

I would think that speaks to Gonzo more than anything the strength and conditioning coaches are or are not doing.

Plus it could just very well be that they are being cautious with him given that it is only the preseason.

So I take it Gonzo has done away with the hyperbaric (sp?) chamber? As a previous poster stated, when do we start the question the strength & conditioning coaches?

You mean the same guys who keep Reggie Wayne and Peyton Manning healthy and up till last year most of key players? Funny no one wans to give them credit for that. Anytime we have an injury prone player though they get caled into question. Look at it this way that's like blameing Manning for Garcon's drops. Yes Manning or the training staff is invovled but sometimes it the guy on the other end that has the issue.

I would think that speaks to Gonzo more than anything the strength and conditioning coaches are or are not doing.

Plus it could just very well be that they are being cautious with him given that it is only the preseason.

Agreed. I wouldn't dare call Gonzo soft, or any NFL player for that matter. I just feel like at some point the Colts have to realize he isn't going to be the guy to replace Marvin. But then again, no one can replace the Marvelous One.

You mean the same guys who keep Reggie Wayne and Peyton Manning healthy and up till last year most of key players? Funny no one wans to give them credit for that. Anytime we have an injury prone player though they get caled into question. Look at it this way that's like blameing Manning for Garcon's drops. Yes Manning or the training staff is invovled but sometimes it the guy on the other end that has the issue.

The training staff deserves ALL of the credit for the Colts being able to field a competitive team last season.

Wow people see "Gonzalez" and "injury" in the same sentence and they think it's a season ending injury. This is a HAMSTRING injury people! There is no need for talk of cutting him due to a minor injury. It was projected there would be a significant number of pulled muscles and similar injuries due to no OTAs. We are not the only other team suffering from this problem. This is actually the perfect time to have this injury because he is able to rest and not hurt his team by not performing. This allows our younger receivers to step up and fight for one of the roster spots (Gilreath comes to mind). As far as signing another receiver, that will not happen until a receiver will miss half or all of the season due to an injury. At that point, I would assume TJ would be the best option for the Colts because of his size, interest in the team, and desired short contract. Moss is retired, a headache, and wants more than a 1 year deal. Not going to happen. Team Obliterator (TO) will not be ready for football until the end of September (that is when he is projected to be recovered from his surgery). That is 1/4 into the season. I don't think he'll be able to fully contribute and learn our system in time for the playoffs, so I say no to TO.

Lets just not blow minor injuries out of proportion, and let the young, up and coming players fight for their jobs over the next 3 weeks.

The training staff deserves ALL of the credit for the Colts being able to field a competitive team last season.

No I give that credit to Polian and Caldwell. Polian for finding multipal guys every week of the scrap pile that could play and Caldwell for coaching them up in a really quick manner. I just don't blame the training staff for what happened last year because that's unrealistic and just looking for a scap goat rather than to admit sometimes guys just get hurt and it's just not your team's year.

Wow people see "Gonzalez" and "injury" in the same sentence and they think it's a season ending injury. This is a HAMSTRING injury people! There is no need for talk of cutting him due to a minor injury. It was projected there would be a significant number of pulled muscles and similar injuries due to no OTAs. We are not the only other team suffering from this problem. This is actually the perfect time to have this injury because he is able to rest and not hurt his team by not performing. This allows our younger receivers to step up and fight for one of the roster spots (Gilreath comes to mind). As far as signing another receiver, that will not happen until a receiver will miss half or all of the season due to an injury. At that point, I would assume TJ would be the best option for the Colts because of his size, interest in the team, and desired short contract. Moss is retired, a headache, and wants more than a 1 year deal. Not going to happen. Team Obliterator (TO) will not be ready for football until the end of September (that is when he is projected to be recovered from his surgery). That is 1/4 into the season. I don't think he'll be able to fully contribute and learn our system in time for the playoffs, so I say no to TO.

Lets just not blow minor injuries out of proportion, and let the young, up and coming players fight for their jobs over the next 3 weeks.

Lets see.... Gonzo, leg injury.

That's enough for me to say cut him, I don't care if he got a cramp. The guy shows flashes of brilliance a couple times and then sits out 90% of every season. It's time everyone around here realized he's not worth having around. At this point He's pretty much useless and just taking up cap room.

Lets see.... Gonzo, leg injury.

That's enough for me to say cut him, I don't care if he got a cramp. The guy shows flashes of brilliance a couple times and then sits out 90% of every season. It's time everyone around here realized he's not worth having around. At this point He's pretty much useless and just taking up cap room.

It's a good thing you don't make the decisions, because it's comically obvious that you have no idea what you're talking about.

It's a good thing you don't make the decisions, because it's comically obvious that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Mod Edit We'll see who's right I'd bet the bank Gonzo wont be back next year. I can't wait. We need players that can play.