Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tom Moore On Andrew Luck

vinatierifan4

My favorite part:

The single biggest thing, and we’ve talked about this before, is pass protection. Making sure who’s blocked, who’s not blocked. If someone isn’t blocked, what do you do with it as far as your ‘hots’?

There's a lot of different ways to skin a cat. You don't always have to block a blitz; sometimes it's better to beat it with a hot read and a bunch of yards after the catch. I think Arians appreciates that just like Moore does, and I hope it translates to our passing game.

First, I thought it was more than just an alright article... but maybe it's just me...

Second, I think anything Tom Moore has to say about Andrew is important and insightful.

Third, I think Luck LOVES the idea of.... "the more you throw at him the better..." and I think he agrees with that.

Thanks for the link.... glad you posted it...

I agree with that philosophy. Expose Luck to as much as we can as early as we can. Let him see what the speed of the game is like and how defenses disguise coverages and all that fun stuff.

I hope they do that early on 11 on 11. Throw the Kitchen sink, Caldwell's old Doughnut boxes, Freeney & Mathis from the same side, throw it all at him early... Make Sunday's the easy part, like Belichick used to do with Brady.

Can't Wait! For us "out of towners", the first and third preseason games are live on the NFL Network, second on NBC.

This is the first year in forever where they'll be important, and not just to determine backups.

Love that Tom said he's Peyton-like in his obsessiveness!

http://www.indystar....apolis Sports|p

Alright article if you have the time to read.

This is very encouraging..I just hope he's right...

there's a reason the NFL didnt play rookie QBs from day one for 50 years...

they can take a beating, get booed for the first time and lose confidence.

I dont think that will happen with Luck but it could.

the good things is....there's no Plan B' and Andrew knows it.

its his team to lead even if we go 0-16..

he's got the full driver's license and there are no other drivers

Hot reads against the Blitz has always been our style of play. I don't see that changing just cause Luck came in. He'll make the reads against the Blitz and make the defense pay big with big yardage plays to the hopeful speedster Avery or anyone else. IMO

Hot reads against the Blitz has always been our style of play. I don't see that changing just cause Luck came in. He'll make the reads against the Blitz and make the defense pay big with big yardage plays to the hopeful speedster Avery or anyone else. IMO

I think you are right, but I wouldn't expect that anything we did yesterday is what we will do tomorrow. This is a new team so it would be good to forget the past and let's just enjoy what comes next.

I think you are right, but I wouldn't expect that anything we did yesterday is what we will do tomorrow. This is a new team so it would be good to forget the past and let's just enjoy what comes next.

Our terminology may be different but I think that the Colts offense will be very similar to what we've done since 2000...(except for last year)

We have a skilled passer...our strength is tight ends and WRs...we play indoors in controlled conditions//

..and Avery and our rookies give us new speed.

We'd be foolish if we tried to establish the run..and our new coaches do not seem to be fools

Our terminology may be different but I think that the Colts offense will be very similar to what we've done since 2000...(except for last year)

We have a skilled passer...our strength is tight ends and WRs...we play indoors in controlled conditions//

..and Avery and our rookies give us new speed.

We'd be foolish if we tried to establish the run..and our new coaches do not seem to be fools

We used to establish the run - in the days of Edge. Made play action much more effective. But for me I just don't have any expectations. All of the architects of the former Colts team are gone. It's a new day.

"“(Manning) was the franchise quarterback, so why delay it?” Tom Moore, the Colts’ former longtime offensive coordinator, said in a telephone interview from his home in Hilton Head, S.C. “I don’t think you learn by sitting on the bench. I think you learn by playing. There is no substitute for experience.

“You drafted him No. 1 to be your franchise quarterback, so turn it over to him and develop him and let him work with an offense that’s suitable to him.”

Yup, put the field general out on the field and go to work. It's like Driver's Ed; Nobody learns anything sitting in the backseat.

Give Luck the keys, get behind the wheel, and let him take the franchise Ferrari out for a spin.

Yup, put the field general out on the field and go to work. It's like Driver's Ed; Nobody learns anything sitting in the backseat.

You do if you are observant and pay attention. True, you can't learn everything from observation alone and there is no substitute for experience, but to say that nobody learns anything from observation is ridiculous. I have learned many things over the years from watching others before I actually did something myself.

You do if you are observant and pay attention. True, you can't learn everything from observation alone and there is no substitute for experience, but to say that nobody learns anything from observation is ridiculous. I have learned many things over the years from watching others before I actually did something myself.

Quiet observation does have it's place I will admit JC. Namely, work ethic, proper technique, how to conduct & carry yourself with honor & dignity, breaking down film correctly, and making the correct progressions over time. An exceptional mentor to guide you along the way means everything. You are absolutely right.

However, there is no accurate simulation for live game speed and tackles on the field. A person learns best by doing it themselves. I have always believed that and of course silent supervision by a master of their trade never hurt anyone in my book. :thmup:

Ya, but it's the finesse you learn by doing......

Like how hard to hit the brakes when you do it for the first time. 95% of people slam on them because they can't tell by watching.

You haven't learned to play quarterback in the NFL that way.

Quiet observation does have it's place I will admit JC. Namely, work ethic, proper technique, how to conduct & carry yourself with honor & dignity, breaking down film correctly, and making the correct progressions over time. An exceptional mentor to guide you along the way means everything. You are absolutely right.

However, there is no accurate simulation for live game speed and tackles on the field. A person learns best by doing it themselves. I have always believed that and of course silent supervision by a master of their trade never hurt anyone in my book. :thmup:

The thing is that, whether you're sitting behind a Hall of Famer or starting on Day One, you have to have talent to begin with. Aaron Rodgers succeeded, not because he sat behind Brett Favre, but because he had talent. Sitting behind a good quarterback didn't hurt, but Rodgers is good because of what he's capable of, not because he soaked up ability through osmosis. Curtis Painter proves that doesn't work. Steve Young, same thing. He's good, and he was going to be good whether he sat behind Montana or not.

On the other hand, Peyton Manning isn't who he is just because he started right away. He's good because of what he's capable of. Starting right away didn't hurt, but it's not the reason he has been so successful.

It's six in one hand, half dozen in the other. But I definitely believe that it helps a young quarterback to be around a good quarterback early in his career, whether the veteran is tutoring him or not.

You haven't learned to play quarterback in the NFL that way.

The thing is that, whether you're sitting behind a Hall of Famer or starting on Day One, you have to have talent to begin with. Aaron Rodgers succeeded, not because he sat behind Brett Favre, but because he had talent. Sitting behind a good quarterback didn't hurt, but Rodgers is good because of what he's capable of, not because he soaked up ability through osmosis. Curtis Painter proves that doesn't work. Steve Young, same thing. He's good, and he was going to be good whether he sat behind Montana or not.

On the other hand, Peyton Manning isn't who he is just because he started right away. He's good because of what he's capable of. Starting right away didn't hurt, but it's not the reason he has been so successful.

It's six in one hand, half dozen in the other. But I definitely believe that it helps a young quarterback to be around a good quarterback early in his career, whether the veteran is tutoring him or not.

Your point is a valid one Superman. All starting NFL QB's must posses natural gifts and talents to execute the skills required by their position. Without a well equipped skill set, no mentoring program in place will transform a field general into a Playoff winning QB. Yes, you are correct. But, some QB's are just late talent bloomers and who knows exactly when a young QB will flip the switch and turn the playbook and game day light on. The key here is consistency. When they are in a similar situation, have they learned from their last mistake or not?

Naturally, there is the flip side of that coin too. Case in point, former Oakland Raiders QB Jamarcus Russel, a ton of athletic ability and zero to no work ethic. My point here is that a decent NFL rookie QB must posses both a mix of natural talent and a willingness to work hard, shut up, and learn too. A successful NFL QB needs talent, work ethic, a willingness to listen & learn, and a strong desire to win and earn the respect of your team mates and coaches in the locker room. Also, an ability to rise up beyond adversity is crucial as well. Too many college QBs have never really struggled on the field...reads and plays came easy to them. I love college QBs who hit bumps in the road and whose wins were not always pretty because if they make to the NFL they are more likely to flourish and succeed because life had dealt them some hard challenges to overcome and persevere through and that breeds mental and physical toughness IMO.

Ya, but it's the finesse you learn by doing......

Like how hard to hit the brakes when you do it for the first time. 95% of people slam on them because they can't tell by watching.

Great example there Lollygager. Due to my physical disability, I drive with hand controls. Learning to operate a car with the proper amount of pressure for accelerating and braking is most definitely an artform that cannot be mastered by observation alone. Excellent point Lollygager!!! There is no simulation for doing anything LIVE and in person. Well said my friend!!! :thmup: