Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wear #18 Jersey To The Home Games Or #12?

King Colt

I was going to say something negative about this topic, but instead I will say Im excited about the future but I have a right to wear my #18 jersey just like i wear my #88 jersey. Dirty eye me for wearing it at LOS and see what it gets ya. (sorry got negative there)

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't have a problem with anyone wearing a Colt's #18 jersey to a home game.

But, I wouldn't be thrilled to see Bronco's #18 jerseys.

Sorta reminds me of the fans who bought Texas Tech gear to wear to the IU games.

But I will wear my #18 Colts SB Jersey (the one in my photo) to the Broncos/Bengals game this year...!!! :cheer:

Why?

People wear Unitas jerseys, Mackey jerseys, Dickerson jerseys, Faulk jerseys, Harrison jerseys, James jerseys, Sanders jerseys. Why would it be any different for Manning?

I just find it as a strike against the team. I don't think it looks good. Wearing a Manning jersey to a game just screams 'Manning fan, not a Colts fan.' Just my opinion.

Also, there are VERY little Unitas, Mackey, Dickerson, Faulk, & James jerseys. Every now and then I see a Harrison & Sanders.

With that being said, I expect a lot of Manning jerseys and wouldn't expect anything less.

I just find it as a strike against the team. I don't think it looks good. Wearing a Manning jersey to a game just screams 'Manning fan, not a Colts fan.' Just my opinion.

Also, there are VERY little Unitas, Mackey, Dickerson, Faulk, & James jerseys. Every now and then I see a Harrison & Sanders.

With that being said, I expect a lot of Manning jerseys and wouldn't expect anything less.

I could see that with the Broncos #18, but not wanting to see Colts #18 is like trying to perform a Manning-ectomy on the franchise and the fanbase. Yeah, there are relatively few old guard jerseys (you'll probably see plenty of Clark and Addai this next season). But none of those guys had the impact that Manning did. Perhaps Unitas, but that was a different fanbase entirely. He's the single most important player in franchise history. I bet he's sold more jerseys than all those other guys combined.

Dig in. People are going to wear Manning jerseys until the end of time. I think it's rude to categorize someone wearing one to the game as not a Colts fan. JMO, not anything personal toward you.

i agree totally with superman, its ridiculous to think it unfit to wear the jerseys of past players. Ridiculous!! part of being a fan of a sports team is taking pride in its history and remembering the great memories and moments those players gave us. and as far as manning goes... yeah lot of great moments lol. maybe even the greatest memories in colts history. So all this bull crap about #18 needs to stop guys. respect the man, and respect the fans

I have a few Colts jerseys...more then a few Manning ones. I just grab whatever player I feel like wearing for each week.

I think it's going to be unrealistic to expect everyone to not wear their Manning jerseys anymore. To me, telling people not to wear them is in a sense saying stop embracing the past.

I think the past...Manning...is the exact reason why the Colts are still here for the future...Luck.

I will add this: The moment Peyton is completely retired (and Im 99.9999% sure he will retire as a Colt) I'll bust out wearing his jersey's again. But as long as he's playing for a different team, I wont wear it. Yes people still wear Faulk, Harrison, Unitas, etc: those guys are all retired, wearing their jersey is more than perfectly acceptable

Dig in. People are going to wear Manning jerseys until the end of time. I think it's rude to categorize someone wearing one to the game as not a Colts fan. JMO, not anything personal toward you.

That's fine and I expect plenty of Manning jerseys next year, but IMO it just shows that they were more of a Manning fan than a Colts fan. Wearing someones jersey who doesn't play for your team anymore and actually currently plays for another team?

Just my opinion.

Wow....hit the nail right on the head! Everytime I heard the chants and saw that it made me angry. I admit I would rather have Peyton here but since that is over I'm soo glad we have Andrew. I can't wait for football again. It will be great to have an adequate qb behind center again.

Peyton Manning was great and is great and is headed for Canton BUT.... I saw some films of Stanford's 2011 season and Luck can do it all with his arm brain and feet. The kid can run and I believe we are all in for a major decade of great football just like we are accustomed to!!!!!!

I will add this: The moment Peyton is completely retired (and Im 99.9999% sure he will retire as a Colt) I'll bust out wearing his jersey's again. But as long as he's playing for a different team, I wont wear it. Yes people still wear Faulk, Harrison, Unitas, etc: those guys are all retired, wearing their jersey is more than perfectly acceptable

Why on Earth would he retire as a Colt? You are just a little heart sick-be happy with what you had after all you could have been born in Cleveland, or your parents could have benn Saints fans or Lions fans.

My autographed rookie Manning jersey goes into storage until he retires a Colts. As long as is playing for an opponent he is an opponent, and Colts fans should only cheer on an opponent when that opponent's win will advance the Colts playoff chances and seeding. I always get a chuckle out of the guys who wear player jerseys to games that player isn't participating in. Pretty funny to see an Aikman jersey at a Colts home game against the Titans.

Why on Earth would he retire as a Colt? You are just a little heart sick-be happy with what you had after all you could have been born in Cleveland, or your parents could have benn Saints fans or Lions fans.

I believe he would be referring to the way players sign a one day contract and then officially retire with that team. Personally I don't see Manning doing that.

I still wear my Marvin jersey and harbaugh 12 jersey at times am I not alloud to wear those anymore because they aren't here either? If people wear a colts 18 jersey I doubt it's meant as disrespect as much as it is jersey are expensive and they may not be able to get a new number 12 right away.

As for the people who wore the luck jerseys last year I remeber saying careful what you wish for you may just get it and those people got it.

Because it's not out of the norm for legendary players to go back to the team they were great with and retire with them. Is it set in stone that peyton will do this? No but if you watched his good presser I can see how people think he would.

Because it's not out of the norm for legendary players to go back to the team they were great with and retire with them. Is it set in stone that peyton will do this? No but if you watched his good presser I can see how people think he would.

Unlike FJC, I fully expect him to.

There was bad blood between LaDanian Tomlinson and the Chargers when he left, but he still did his one-day deal with them for his retirement. I can't imagine Irsay not putting on a full court press to get Manning to do the same.

Unlike FJC, I fully expect him to.

There was bad blood between LaDanian Tomlinson and the Chargers when he left, but he still did his one-day deal with them for his retirement. I can't imagine Irsay not putting on a full court press to get Manning to do the same.

I'm sure Irsay will. Of course he will want that. I'm not certain the other part of the equation will do the same. Maybe he will.

I'm sure Irsay will. Of course he will want that. I'm not certain the other part of the equation will do the same. Maybe he will.

I don't know anything, but I don't think Manning is as upset with Irsay as some of the fans are. Not saying he kisses Irsay's picture goodnight before he goes to sleep, but I don't think he has an Irsay voodoo doll either. When he plays the Colts, he'll want to pound us. And he'll want to prove that Irsay should have kept him for the rest of his career. But I think the two have a good relationship, and when Manning hangs them up, I can't imagine him not coming back home.

If he says no he will hurt the fans on the long run and you can be sure the colts will make it known they offered and Peyton said no. Peyton is smart enough to know that and it would cause him bad blood he doesn't need and frankly it's something I think he would do for the fans as cheesy as that sounds if you watched his goodbye presser it's pretty clear that Indianapolis means something to him. With that said its not set in stone but I can see how and why people think it will happen.

I don't know anything, but I don't think Manning is as upset with Irsay as some of the fans are. Not saying he kisses Irsay's picture goodnight before he goes to sleep, but I don't think he has an Irsay voodoo doll either. When he plays the Colts, he'll want to pound us. And he'll want to prove that Irsay should have kept him for the rest of his career. But I think the two have a good relationship, and when Manning hangs them up, I can't imagine him not coming back home.

You might be right. I would say that the more successful the next 5 years for Manning are, then the odds of that happening will decrease.

Manning said and did the right things at the press conference, and while he clearly hasn't taken the Favre approach, I don't see Jimmy on his Christmas Card list at the moment. Time heals all wounds, and time will tell. It's not time yet. So we will all see what happens.

If he says no he will hurt the fans on the long run and you can be sure the colts will make it known they offered and Peyton said no. Peyton is smart enough to know that and it would cause him bad blood he doesn't need and frankly it's something I think he would do for the fans as cheesy as that sounds if you watched his goodbye presser it's pretty clear that Indianapolis means something to him. With that said its not set in stone but I can see how and why people think it will happen.

Oh you are right. Jimmy will make it known. He can't keep a secret, he can't keep things "in-house", he'll be petty enough as he already has shown to make it known.

I see why people think it will happen, but I can also can see why it might not.

Some don't care to return when they are shown the door.

Oh you are right. Jimmy will make it known. He can't keep a secret, he can't keep things "in-house", he'll be petty enough as he already has shown to make it known.

I see why people think it will happen, but I can also can see why it might not.

Some don't care to return when they are shown the door.

So if the fans blame him if this doesn't happen it's petty to say hey I offered the other party said no hunh?

Interesting theory.

So if the fans blame him if this doesn't happen it's petty to say hey I offered the other party said no hunh?

Interesting theory.

If Manning announces his retirement in 5-6 years and he's still a member of the Denver Broncos fans should just live it. If they want to blame Irsay for cutting him, then that is exactly what happened.

If he tweets or announces that he offered to do a one day deal, but Manning declined, then yes by announcing or tweeting that, then yes I would view that as another example of Irsay being petty.

He's already "not a Colt". So the damage has already been done.

It would be sad if Peyton went into canton as a Bronco. I don't think he will do that because he truely truely loves Indy. The people and friends he has here. The home he has here and the network he and his wife have developed. Even Bobby Knight returns to Indiana for fundraisers and such and he has the worst temper and anger of anyone I know. That said he isn't exactly raising anymore money for that library he helped build that I'm aware of either. I think Peyton will hang it up here. He appreciates the fans....if nothing else.

It would be sad if Peyton went into canton as a Bronco. I don't think he will do that because he truely truely loves Indy. The people and friends he has here. The home he has here and the network he and his wife have developed. Even Bobby Knight returns to Indiana for fundraisers and such and he has the worst temper and anger of anyone I know. That said he isn't exactly raising anymore money for that library he helped build that I'm aware of either. I think Peyton will hang it up here. He appreciates the fans....if nothing else.

Indy will always be a part of him. It will be interesting to see what happens with his home and whether he sells it, or rents it out or anything else. His parents stayed in New Orleans even after stops in Houston/Minnesota, so when he's done he may move back to Indy. He may be elsewhere depending on whatever he's doing after he retires. Either way Indy will always have a spot in his heart, and that won't ever change.

In the NFL players don't really go into the HOF as a member of any team like they do in baseball. So that isn't an issue.

Time will tell.

Manning meant a lot, not only to the Colt's, but also to the City of Indianapolis. I was invited to a pre-season game in 2010 by a relative. We had lunch at P.J. Chang's, and then walked to LOS for the game. Along the way, she pointed out several sports bars and restaurants close to the stadium. I had attended college in downtown Indy and was shocked at the growth in and around that particular area. If it had not been for the success of The Colt's organization for the past 10-15 years, I highly doubt that growth would have been so evident. IMO, Manning more than deserves some of that credit! He will finish his career at Denver, but I highly doubt that his influence will be as evident in comparison to what he left behind in Indy.Even though the #18 jersey will not be worn as much at the games, the influence he left behind will live on for a long time. JMO!

If you want to get your picture in the local Indy paper, or maybe even get on TV (if you have a good enough seat) here's what you do...

Buy both jerseys.... cut them in half, front and back... sew the front of one jersey to the back of the other jersey...

So, you'd either have a Luck front and a Manning back, or vice versa.... fun, clever, loyal... says it all...

Do it now, thank me later!

wait long enough & they'll make one like that. I heard some store sales Brett Favre jerseys 1/2Packers 1/2 Vikes

Wearing other people's jersey is kinda silly from my chair. I realize people love them though.

(I was at Peyton's first playoff win wearing a Zeppelin shirt, a better conversation starter than wearing Colts stuff were everyone is wearing Colts stuff. I got asked who I was rooting for.. take a guess! The first half of that game was as much fun as 60,000 people could have!)

I think it would be petty if Irsay was to offer a 1 day contract for Manning to retire a Colt and for Manning to turn it down because Irsay cut him simply because the NFL is a business and I think Peyton knows that it was the best business decision Irsay could make under the time frame thay was set forth, If Peyton doesn't know that and indeed goes in as a Bronco just to spite Irsay then THAT is petty. I think Peyton will go in as a Colt however,

Players in football sign 1 day contracts in football to go into the HOF all the time with there team, Torrie Holt did it, Im sure there are others Im not thinking of

That has nothing to do with the hall of fame.

IMG_3032+-+Joe+Montana.JPG

It simply says what teams they played for.

Oh and Torry Holt will be buying at ticket if he wants to visit Canton.

I retired both my #18 jerseys....Bring on the #12 jersey....I wouldn't say it's bad taste to wear the #18, it's just not the right time.

Put it this way, you wouldn't want your girlfriend wearing her ex-boyfriends t-shirt around you would you?