Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Question of the Day - 07/12

sb41champs

I really don't think so. As Luck gets into his prime and rythem as an elite QB which I think and hope he will, Brady will be gone or past prime time. I think we have to wait and see who becomes the rivalry matchup with him. Would probably be Washington if we played them every year as we do the Patriots. Could become Houston depending on who follows up behind Schaub. They took our division title out of our hands now we have to go out and get it back.

I am going to say....HMMMM! We play them AGAIN this year. Too lazy to look up if it is home or away and I am suffering from brain fade. (Not the fade Andrew) I want to see our new QB develop his own 'mantra' along with the new face of the defense.

I want Andrew to OWN our division. That needs to be the first goal.

Absolutely... not. The rivalry reached the peak during our Super Bowl season. And, for the most part, all the studs from that rivalry are either retired, free agents, or are on another team, excluding Brady. No more Teddy, Ty Law, Asante Samuel, Matt Light, Jeff Saturday, Dallas Clark etc... Kind of sad :(

Not a chance - Gramz is right. Anyone who doubts that - just watch the national attention when the Broncos play the Patriots. The Manning/Brady rivalry may continue for some time. The Colts/Pats rivalry just pushed the reset button.

I'll also point out that most sustained rivalries are within a division, which is where the Colts/Pats were for the Pats first Super Bowl win. Then they won their second and third going through the Colts with the entire country apparently concluding that Brady was better than Manning as a result. The anger/frustration/resentment was palpable, and the years since have been one long redemption story - with each annual matchup being a national event. But that is all over.

The next time the Colts play the Pats it will be "just another opponent" to me.

Rivalries typically involve teams that are evenly matched. The Colts are rebuilding/retooling and we are not evenly matched with the NE Patriots as Gramz, MAC, FJC, and a number of forum bloggers suggest.

We need to take care of our own backyard/division first as Brent so astutely stated. Maybe that competitive flame with NE can be re-ignited in 2-3 years not now though. Not by a longshot.

The Blue HorseShoe has a lot of hardwork to do first. Can we rise again like the mythical Phoenix from the ashes? Absolutely. But, it will take diligence, dedication, and time.

We are not dead; we are laying dormant waiting for the perfect to re-establish our AFC South dominance. Good things come to those who wait quietly and patiently. Our day will come again IMO.

The rivalry didn't really start until they started knocking us out of the playoffs, and then we finally overcame them and got the upper hand for a short time. During that period it was a matchup of two of the best QBs in the game as well as two of the best teams.

When we start winning again and IF we start meeting the same team in the playoffs, that's going to be the new rivalry.

The rivalry didn't really start until they started knocking us out of the playoffs, and then we finally overcame them and got the upper hand for a short time. During that period it was a matchup of two of the best QBs in the game as well as two of the best teams.

When we start winning again and IF we start meeting the same team in the playoffs, that's going to be the new rivalry.

Smonroe, I agree with about 95% of what you said. However, other than 2004, 2006, and 2009 the Colts were not evenly matched collectively speaking with the Patriots squad wise man to man roster to roster. Sorry Smonroe I can't concur with you on that one. Rivalry to me means respect, hatred, intelligence, and pops and contact where ever the ball carrier or pigskin lands quarter to quarter down after down operating simultaneously.

Peyton's absence last season proves that we didn't have all the pieces in place to fill holes, practice gap control, and impose our will on both sides of the line of scrimmage. Think Steelers and Ravens that is an evenly matched roster and genuine rivalry IMO. Pagano & Grigson will get the Colts there though. Of that fact, I have no doubt.

Smonroe, I agree with about 95% of what you said. However, other than 2004, 2006, and 2009 the Colts were not evenly matched collectively speaking with the Patriots squad wise man to man roster to roster. Sorry Smonroe I can't concur with you on that one. Rivalry to me means respect, hatred, intelligence, and pops and contact where ever the ball carrier or pigskin lands quarter to quarter down after down operating simultaneously.

Peyton's absence last season proves that we didn't have all the pieces in place to fill holes, practice gap control, and impose our will on both sides of the line of scrimmage. Think Steelers and Ravens that is an evenly matched roster and genuine rivalry IMO. Pagano & Grigson will get the Colts there though. Of that fact, I have no doubt.

That's fair. I think my point is that Colts/Pats was a rivalry when the teams were evenly matched. Steelers/Ravens is a current rivalry, but as my buds in Ohio will tell you, Browns/Steelers was a heated, hated rivalry. But the Browns hardly beat anyone anymore.

I guess there are historic rivals (Cowboys/Skins, Raiders/Chiefs, etc.) that go on no matter how the teams are doing. I don't think the Colts/Pats fit into that category.

Hope I'm being clear in my distinction.

Will the Colts vs. Patriots rivalry continue to be as heated with the subtraction of Peyton Manning ??

I've wondered.

Our rivalry was created through killer QB play AND playoff battles. If we can continue to have both then I see no reason why the rivalry will not continue. One good bitter playoff fight should keep the process rolling into the Luck era.

That's fair. I think my point is that Colts/Pats was a rivalry when the teams were evenly matched. Steelers/Ravens is a current rivalry, but as my buds in Ohio will tell you, Browns/Steelers was a heated, hated rivalry. But the Browns hardly beat anyone anymore.

I guess there are historic rivals (Cowboys/Skins, Raiders/Chiefs, etc.) that go on no matter how the teams are doing. I don't think the Colts/Pats fit into that category.

Hope I'm being clear in my distinction.

You bring up 2 excellent points Smonroe about rivalries: 1. A high winning percentage is required from both NFL squads and 2. Historical/geographic rivalries between say the Bears and Packers will never ever die.

Also, to be completely honest with you Terrell Suggs absence from the Ravens d-line & his replacement hasn't really been tested yet. So, "the next man up" motif hasn't seen the light of day yet I agree 100%.

No it wont. The Pacers vs Knicks rivalry isn't what it once was for example. The players are what make it fun and once they are gone it's no longer as fun. With that said I think Colts fans will always enjoy victories over the Pats anytime it happens a little more than most wins in the future. I do think Luck will develop his own Manning vs Brady rivalry with someone.