Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mcafee

Mexicolt

Pat replied to one of my tweets the other day, as you can read below I asked him if a guy could be punter, kicker and kicfoffer (haha)

Pat McAfee

“@georgepelaez: Is it possible for a guy to be the Punter, Kickoff and FG guy? @PatMcAfeeShow?”~ I will do it at some point

I don't think ne is kidding. I don't know how to post the link...

Pat replied to one of my tweets the other day, as you can read below I asked him if a guy could be punter, kicker and kicfoffer (haha)

Pat McAfee

“@georgepelaez: Is it possible for a guy to be the Punter, Kickoff and FG guy? @PatMcAfeeShow?”~ I will do it at some point

Click the tweet, then click the time stamp.

I like the idea of him being our Swiss army knife of special teams! Those 2 roster spots could have helped this year to add depth to the safety position for instance. He obviously has the leg for it from watching his 70 yard videos, I just wonder how accurate he is at kicking field goals.

McAfee is an awesome FG kicker. In practice he routinely hits from 75 yds out. I hoenstly don't know why we even keep Adam. Don't get me wrong, I love Vinitieri but in reality, we don't need him.

Pressure

No one's better than Adam at kicking under pressure. Even Pat says so in his tweets. he says that he's been able to learn from the best under Adam.

as for accuracy...I think he said he was 3 of 4 from about 65 last year.

While I would like us to save a couple of roster spots and some cap money, I don't want McAfee to overdo it. If he is forced to kick some long field goals and he has to punt and do kickoff, I don't know how well his leg will hold up. Yeah, he may have done it in college, but the NFL game is different.

While I would like us to save a couple of roster spots and some cap money, I don't want McAfee to overdo it. If he is forced to kick some long field goals and he has to punt and do kickoff, I don't know how well his leg will hold up. Yeah, he may have done it in college, but the NFL game is different.

How is kicking and punting different in the NFL? Its not like the ball weighs 5 lbs or the field is longer..

How is kicking and punting different in the NFL? Its not like the ball weighs 5 lbs or the field is longer..

I could be completely off with this, but from what I've heard and seen, kickers have one of the most difficult transitions to the NFL game. There are different coverage schemes and the speed is faster. Again, I'm just going off of what I have heard, read and seen. I could be completely wrong.

I could be completely off with this, but from what I've heard and seen, kickers have one of the most difficult transitions to the NFL game. There are different coverage schemes and the speed is faster. Again, I'm just going off of what I have heard, read and seen. I could be completely wrong.

Coverage schemes? For a kicker? What?

Kicking is kicking at any level. Either you can do it or you can't.

Pat McAfee

It could very well be the Colts think McAfee is our kicker when AV hangs them up. That could be why he's getting so much work right now. The Colts love to save roster spots and only having to carry one kicker would free one more roster spot down the raod.

I think he could do all 3 easily but the team would still need to keep a backup, so he would actually only be saving 1 roster spot.

I think they would just find another guy on the roster woh can kick to get them threw an end of the game if he got hurt, I mean I have been a Colts fan for 20 years now and I have never seen a Colts kicker or punter get hurt in the middle of a game before. Yes I know it has happened to other teams but I don't think the Colts are going to carry a back up kicker that they don't use all year just because of that.

Either way we aren't going to cut AV so this is something we wont have to worry about for a few years.

I think they would just find another guy on the roster woh can kick to get them threw an end of the game if he got hurt, I mean I have been a Colts fan for 20 years now and I have never seen a Colts kicker or punter get hurt in the middle of a game before. Yes I know it has happened to other teams but I don't think the Colts are going to carry a back up kicker that they don't use all year just because of that.

Either way we aren't going to cut AV so this is something we wont have to worry about for a few years.

If I recall, Adam got hurt in 2006 and Hunter had to boot an XP in one game, and then the team brought in Martin Gramatica.

I don't think it would be a problem. Physically the reps you get on the field are not different from the reps you get in practice at all. It's just more pressure but there is no need to worry about him having to kick another 3 kicks a game. He is punting and doing the kick-offs already, isn't he?

As long as he can live with the pressure, he'll be pretty good. I don't think we should read too much into his 75-yarders, even though it's impressive. I bet a lot of guys that can't make it from the 40 in-game have gotten it through from the 70 in practice.

If I recall, Adam got hurt in 2006 and Hunter had to boot an XP in one game, and then the team brought in Martin Gramatica.

Now that I think about it you are right, okay so in 20 years of watching Colts football I've seen one kicker get hurt in the middle of a game, still I doubt the Colts are going to carry a back up kicker all year. The idea of having McAfee do both would be to free up an extra roster spot.