Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

RG#

luvdacolts67

Is anyone else tired of hearing about this guy? My gosh, every day on NFL there's an artical on him. We know what he eats, when he sleeps. Unbelievable, The NFL has alot invested in him. Any body with half a brain would have picked Luck over him and for good reason. I know its not his fault but Im tired of reading about this guy.

Edited by 21isSuperman

Part of it is because he has sponsorships already with Nike and Subway (and maybe others), unlike Luck. Then there is also the Cam Newton and Michael Vick phenomenon where people are excited to see a black QB electrify the QB position with athleticism. The irony is Andrew Luck had similar combine numbers to Cam Newton, but most people outside of Indy aren't aware of that.

RGIII also loves to be the center of attention. He wears ridiculous socks and his insane speed and swagger make him an ideal candidate for marketing.

Part of it is because he has sponsorships already with Nike and Subway (and maybe others), unlike Luck. Then there is also the Cam Newton and Michael Vick phenomenon where people are excited to see a black QB electrify the QB position with athleticism. The irony is Andrew Luck had similar combine numbers to Cam Newton, but most people outside of Indy aren't aware of that.

RGIII also loves to be the center of attention. He wears ridiculous socks and his insane speed and swagger make him an ideal candidate for marketing.

I'm surprised no razor company wants Luck to shave his neck beard with their product yet. There's a lucrative endorsement deal right there if you ask me.

Every time Steelers DE Brett Keisel shaves his Gandalf wizard beard it makes the national news cycle. Why can't Luck slice in on the facial removal hair action too?

Kind of ironic coming from a Colts fan - I have absolutely no idea what you are referring to. Everything I hear is about Luck - to the point that I assume that fans in other parts of the country already resent it. I haven't heard a word about Griffin since about a week after the draft.

But if he did get unusual attention and marketing opportunities - as a tremendous African-American prospect playing in a long-suffering football city that I believe has the highest percentage of African-American residents in the country - would that really be a surprise, or even unjustified? Was that possibly a consideration in the Redskins being willing to give up so much to obtain him? Who cares actually. How do we as Colts fans have a right to complain about that?

But both Luck and Robert seem to be modest, humble men. As they graduated with honors and Robert finished up his masters. They seem wise beyond their years. And have a good set of shoulders. Hopefully that will carry them onto the playing field and off the field as well.

I'm not sure some people here fully appreciate how close Griffin was to being a Colt this year.

If Luck had decided to go back to school for another year (yes, he could have, he had one more year of athletic eligibility) then Griffin would be an Indianapolis Colt today. And people here would be going crazy for everything he did and said.

He's not Luck in many ways. But that's not a knock. He's got some serious talent. The kid's got game. I like that's he's very good. I like that he and Luck came in together. I want there to be a healthy, respectful rivalry for the span of their career. I want football fans to think of Luck and RG3 the way basketball fans think of Bird and Magic.

I think that would be special for everyone involved....

It's been the same way that it was since pre-draft...everyone is hyping up both Griffin and Luck, Griffin is only getting slightly more attention because, it seems, many are aware that he is in a position to succeed right away. Luck is still the big talk of the NFL though. It's going to be like this throughout the entire season, best to get used to it now.

I'm not sure some people here fully appreciate how close Griffin was to being a Colt this year.

If Luck had decided to go back to school for another year (yes, he could have, he had one more year of athletic eligibility) then Griffin would be an Indianapolis Colt today. And people here would be going crazy for everything he did and said.

He's not Luck in many ways. But that's not a knock. He's got some serious talent. The kid's got game. I like that's he's very good. I like that he and Luck came in together. I want there to be a healthy, respectful rivalry for the span of their career. I want football fans to think of Luck and RG3 the way basketball fans think of Bird and Magic.

I think that would be special for everyone involved....

Actually if Luck had gone back to school (the remote possibility of which was discussed here many times) I'm quite sure that Peyton would be a Colt today, not Griffin. The team didn't decide to get rid of their QB first, and then go seek a replacement second. Irsay made it clear that he considered Luck to be a special talent that it would be irresponsible to pass up. I've never heard Griffin discussed in the same terms by anyone, ever - in particular Irsay. His draft position was as much a reflection of the Redskins needs as anything else.

Those accolades aside, I still wish that Luck had gone back to school.

By the way, which one would be Bird and which one Magic?

Actually if Luck had gone back to school (the remote possibility of which was discussed here many times) I'm quite sure that Peyton would be a Colt today, not Griffin. The team didn't decide to get rid of their QB first, and then go seek a replacement second. Irsay made it clear that he considered Luck to be a special talent that it would be irresponsible to pass up. I've never heard Griffin discussed in the same terms by anyone, ever - in particular Irsay. His draft position was as much a reflection of the Redskins needs as anything else.

Those accolades aside, I still wish that Luck had gone back to school.

By the way, which one would be Bird and which one Magic?

Mac......

Let me say upfront that you know this team and franchise better than I do, so you may be entirely right.

I'm just not sure anyone will ever truly know. I think the decision on Manning was made before anyone knew that he'd ever be 100% again. And if Luck had announced early that he was going back to school, there were plenty of people who were calling RG3 a franchise quality quarterback. He may not be Luck, but he was still a franchise quality QB and worthy of the number one pick if Luck wasn't in the draft.

If there is only one pretty girl, then that's the girl for you. It's another thing altogether if there are two and you think one is much prettier than the other. I think Griffin would have looked beautiful to Irsay or anyone else if there was no Luck to fall in love with.

Now, perhaps without Luck, Irsay and Manning push the decision date back to see if Manning's health improves enough. Dunno? I just think the decision had many more factors than just Luck being in the draft.

Just one fan's view....

If there is only one pretty girl, then that's the girl for you. It's another thing altogether if there are two and you think one is much prettier than the other. I think Griffin would have looked beautiful to Irsay or anyone else if there was no Luck to fall in love with.

I just can't. The mental image. lmao:panic:

BTW I always thought Irsay wanted Luck. Now even if we did not get the first pick he could have traded up to get it. However, this was not necessary LUCKily. We can potentially thank the inept Jaguars for beating us twice and this is likely the ONLY time I ever say that.

The Titans and Texans did not follow orders. :rolleyes:

cant blame the Texans, its not there fault the stars have seemingly aligned to make it so they cant beat us twice in a season, although I will say Orlovsky isnt anywhere close to how bad Painter played so they did have a challenge in game two, which we won of course

I just can't. The mental image. lmao:panic:

BTW I always thought Irsay wanted Luck. Now even if we did not get the first pick he could have traded up to get it. However, this was not necessary LUCKily. We can potentially thank the inept Jaguars for beating us twice and this is likely the ONLY time I ever say that.

The Titans and Texans did not follow orders. :rolleyes:

I'm with you Jules.... and MAC too... and everyone who think Irsay wanted Luck over RG3... and we all think he made the right choice.

I was only offering another scenario if Irsay couldn't have selected Luck. Then what? Keep Manning? Perhaps.

Or he could have still cut him and then taken RG3. I think it's possible and not unreasonable to consider.

Anyway.... just speculation on my part... just my hunch.... and I could easily be wrong here. I often am! :thmup:

I'm with you Jules.... and MAC too... and everyone who think Irsay wanted Luck over RG3... and we all think he made the right choice.

I was only offering another scenario if Irsay couldn't have selected Luck. Then what? Keep Manning? Perhaps.

Or he could have still cut him and then taken RG3. I think it's possible and not unreasonable to consider.

Anyway.... just speculation on my part... just my hunch.... and I could easily be wrong here. I often am! :thmup:

Absolutely. Nobody knows for sure what could have happened if we couldn't get Luck. You are right, for all we know Irsay would have taken RG3. Polian seems to like RG3 too so it is possible he was more favorably thought of then we think around the Colts camp.

I just think that yes, Irsay always wanted Luck. (not that I blame him lol). It worked out for the best likely. The Colts and Skins seemed to get the men they wanted.

Mac......

Let me say upfront that you know this team and franchise better than I do, so you may be entirely right.

I'm just not sure anyone will ever truly know. I think the decision on Manning was made before anyone knew that he'd ever be 100% again. And if Luck had announced early that he was going back to school, there were plenty of people who were calling RG3 a franchise quality quarterback. He may not be Luck, but he was still a franchise quality QB and worthy of the number one pick if Luck wasn't in the draft.

Now, perhaps without Luck, Irsay and Manning push the decision date back to see if Manning's health improves enough. Dunno? I just think the decision had many more factors than just Luck being in the draft.

Just one fan's view....

NewColtsFan, It's also quite possible that if Luck did not declare for the NFL this year, that it may have changed Matt Barkley's decision to stay at USC. If Matt Barkley declared for the NFL, it would be more likely that he, and not RGIII, would have been drafted to be the Colt's future QB, and that it would have been more likely that we retain Manning, perhaps with both on the roster. It's feasible that with Barkley who is not considered as "pro-ready" as luck, would sit on the bench behind Manning. Of course, this is all just speculation, but that's how I see it happening. :)

And if Luck had announced early that he was going back to school, there were plenty of people who were calling RG3 a franchise quality quarterback. He may not be Luck, but he was still a franchise quality QB and worthy of the number one pick if Luck wasn't in the draft.

It's also quite possible that if Luck did not declare for the NFL this year, that it may have changed Matt Barkley's decision to stay at USC. If Matt Barkley declared for the NFL, it would be more likely that he, and not RGIII, would have been drafted to be the Colt's future QB, and that it would have been more likely that we retain Manning, perhaps with both on the roster. It's feasible that with Barkley who is not considered as "pro-ready" as luck, would sit on the bench behind Manning. Of course, this is all just speculation, but that's how I see it happening. :)

Interesting thought flash.

Saying that the Colts would have taken Griffin because he's the best QB available and some might consider him a franchise QB, is the same as thinking that the Colts would have let Manning go to take Newton, Bradford, Stafford, Ryan, Russell, Young, Smith, etc. I don't think so. There's another one just like them coming along every year - heck as Flash pointed out there's a better one coming along NEXT year. Without Luck the Colt's waive Manning and five minutes later resign him to a more favorable deal. If he makes it back, things continue in Coltsville as they have been. If not, then you end up with next years "next big thing". You don't throw away Manning, you trade that pick to the Redskins.

Luck is here because he's regarded by virtually everyone as the best QB prospect since the guy he's replacing. Griffin popped out of the woodwork ten minutes ago because of a big game on national tv (just like Vince Young - legend that he is). Griffin is FAR more likely to become the next Randal Cunningham or the next Michael Vick, or the next utter flop than he is to become a top tier QB. You don't throw away one of the greatest QBs in the history of the sport for that.

Luck had darn well better be "all that" - and more.

NewColt, Griffin was never going to be a Colt. It was Manning or Luck.

I believe Irsay would have been the one sending future draft picks to St. Louis for the rights to Luck.

I also will never understand the disdain that RGIII has received from this fan base.

Maybe because there is the chance the Redskins got the better deal.

If you're tired of reading about him, then stop clicking on articles about him. It's that simple

Really, Come on, the Colts forum has really gone down the tubes You guys are so critical on the dumbest things. I was just noticing all the articles on NFL about the guy and it seems to me they are investing allot in this guy before he even takes the field. GEEEEEZE.

It's been the same way that it was since pre-draft...everyone is hyping up both Griffin and Luck, Griffin is only getting slightly more attention because, it seems, many are aware that he is in a position to succeed right away. Luck is still the big talk of the NFL though. It's going to be like this throughout the entire season, best to get used to it now.

I just notice allot more on RG3. I just think they have gone overboard. Ive been getting ready for FF and most of the mag's are leading you to believe that RG3 should have gone 1. Hes only had 1 good year in college and Luck has been more consistant. And BTW, no way was he in the running with Irsay or Grigson. It was Luck all the way.

I believe Irsay would have been the one sending future draft picks to St. Louis for the rights to Luck.

I also will never understand the disdain that RGIII has received from this fan base.

You presume too much. I have no disdain for him, in fact he seems like a great guy . I just dont like the media hyping up someone based on very little. There is a motive behind it and I am tired of that. I hope he does well, just not as well as Luck.

I just notice allot more on RG3. I just think they have gone overboard. Ive been getting ready for FF and most of the mag's are leading you to believe that RG3 should have gone 1. Hes only had 1 good year in college and Luck has been more consistant. And BTW, no way was he in the running with Irsay or Grigson. It was Luck all the way.

Well, it's like comparing Andre Johnson and Steve Smith. They're both good, but Steve Smith gets more headlines because he is very media-friendly. Griffin always has some kind of philosophical comment or gesture whereas Luck gives an interview every now and then. Not that it's a bad thing, a lot of people don't like the limelight and don't need it in order to perform well. Griffin just gets more attention because he talks a lot more. As far as his status with the Colts, if Luck was not in this draft, I think Griffin would have been given some consideration. But I guess we'll never know.

Agree, at least so far Luck appears to be the more quiet less media hungry type. He gets attention and praise and all that. I mean everyone knows who he is. But, Griffin appears to be the more charismatic person with a more outgoing personality. Not everyone has to be the same type of person. Personally I think Luck's personality fits Indy really well and is a good fit for this rebuilding culture with his calm attitude.

Hey I will take it if Luck turns out to be as good a QB as Andre is a WR!!!

Really, Come on, the Colts forum has really gone down the tubes You guys are so critical on the dumbest things. I was just noticing all the articles on NFL about the guy and it seems to me they are investing allot in this guy before he even takes the field. GEEEEEZE.

I wasn't being critical. You said you were tired of reading articles about him. The simple solution is to stop reading articles about him.

TBH I hardly ever really see or think about RG3 unless I am here and see something. I don't think much about the Redskins I know the media might try to make a lot of comparisons between the two in the future starting in preseason, which could end up being annoying. Both are on different teams/divisions/conferences.....doesn't really matter to me too much.

Personally I have not been truly high on him either. I am not sure why but I guess I just never dug his game as much as some have. He has a lot of potential but at the same time he truly seems like a boom or bust type to me. I don't see Luck in the same way, Luck seems much safer to me as a long term QB in this league. I also never truly trusted the Redskins either and never have faith in many of their decisions.

Besides, who did Warren Moon say had no weaknesses and compare mentally to Cam Newton? Oh right, it was Luck. Yep, gotta plug Warren Moon and his comments in whenever I feel it is necessary. :)

Agree, at least so far Luck appears to be the more quiet less media hungry type. He gets attention and praise and all that. I mean everyone knows who he is. But, Griffin appears to be the more charismatic person with a more outgoing personality. Not everyone has to be the same type of person. Personally I think Luck's personality fits Indy really well and is a good fit for this rebuilding culture with his calm attitude.

Hey I will take it if Luck turns out to be as good a QB as Andre is a WR!!!

Hahahaha a compliment and a very likely prediction of the future, all in the same sentence. I don't know how you do it lol :D . His calm and, for lack of a better word, chill nature will definitely be a plus for the Colts. I bet he loves the fact that the media is mainly focused on Griffin instead of him. Now he can fly under the radar as best he can and just focus on football hahaha.

Hahahaha a compliment and a very likely prediction of the future, all in the same sentence. I don't know how you do it lol :D . His calm and, for lack of a better word, chill nature will definitely be a plus for the Colts. I bet he loves the fact that the media is mainly focused on Griffin instead of him. Now he can fly under the radar as best he can and just focus on football hahaha.

I think the mystical farm creature in your avatar inspires me. Just have to watch out for my avatar coming around the corner and possibly lusting after him for dinner.

I think the mystical farm creature in your avatar inspires me. Just have to watch out for my avatar coming around the corner and possibly lusting after him for dinner.

Hahaha, he usually inspires digust and revulsion. Oh this poor mystical creature is never safe with the huntress around. I gotta keep an eye on her.

TBH I hardly ever really see or think about RG3 unless I am here and see something.

Kind of reminds me of Favre a couple years ago. The only time I ever heard anything about him was when somebody posted an article about him here.......usually while complaining that they were sick of hearing about Favre. I never understood that mentality. "I am sick of hearing about Favre, so I must post every article about him that I find to the colts.com forum and complain that it exists." Meh, whatever.

RG3 has quickly become a celeb QB like Tebow.His head is so far in the clouds its not funny.Id rather have Luck hes the total opposite and those are the ones that usually make it.

It is not Griffin's nor Tebow's fault that the media has taken a liking to them. They tend to do that with attracting and unique personalities. Right now, I think Luck and Griffin both have a big chance of making it in the NFL. They're terrific quarterbacks, they just have different personalities.

It is not Griffin's nor Tebow's fault that the media has taken a liking to them. They tend to do that with attracting and unique personalities. Right now, I think Luck and Griffin both have a big chance of making it in the NFL. They're terrific quarterbacks, they just have different personalities.

I I think Luck will run circles around RG3 ,Hes more of a pocket passer with a bulky build like Big Ben.Rg3 is too lanky plus hes more interested in his superman socks.

I I think Luck will run circles around RG3 ,Hes more of a pocket passer with a bulky build like Big Ben.Rg3 is too lanky plus hes more interested in his superman socks.

In the long term, maybe he will be better, but as for the first few years, Griffin will probably have the upper hand. A quarterback is only as good as his team allows him to be. Yes, Andrew Luck is a giant, but he weighs 234, Griffin is at 223. Not that much of a difference, they can probably both take a lick. And Griffin may be interested in his socks, but it is what inspires him and represents his quirky personality. Luck is interested in his flip phone and neck beard, because, well, they are what makes him Luck. Again, these are two very good quarterbacks that we will have the great opportunity to see play.

Funny thing is the Redskins have 2 RG3s. Rex Grossman is also an RG3. :eek:

RG3 is with Adidas. Luck is with Nike. =) I think I've seen Lucks Nike commercial once and can't even fathom how many times I've had to suffer through Cam and RG3 commercials. Cams is especially annoying and is on a ridiculous amount.