Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Biggest Turn Around in NFL History?

Smonroe

Would you consider the 3-13 to 13-3 Colts seasons a bigger turnaround than the Rams going from 4-12 to 16-6 and winning the Super Bowl?

Obviously numerically, the Colts was better in the regular season. But going from bad to winning the SB has to be a more impressive feat.

Disclaimer - if we win the SB this year, this question is voided.

Would you consider the 3-13 to 13-3 Colts seasons a bigger turnaround than the Rams going from 4-12 to 16-6 and winning the Super Bowl?

Obviously numerically, the Colts was better in the regular season. But going from bad to winning the SB has to be a more impressive feat.

Yes, I would 'cause.................well, I'm a Colts fan.

The Rams turnaround, regular season wise, isn't the best, the Dolphins had a great turnaround when they drafted Jake Long, right?

I guess that depends on how you look at it. 1-15 to 11-5. Ten game turnaround but less wins.

What I'm not so subtlely suggesting is that big turnaround do happen. Not suggesting we will, since we don't even know what the team is going to look like. But it's possible!

Yeah I agree with 21isSuperman that the NFL looks at it officially by the regular season. Although if I had to choose as a fan, I'd prefer the Rams scenario which resulted in them going from last place to Super Bowl champs.

Yes, from last place to winning the Super Bowl really is great. They are probably the only team to do that, it takes a lot of guts and determination for a feat like that.

Yes, from last place to winning the Super Bowl really is great. They are probably the only team to do that, it takes a lot of guts and determination for a feat like that.

well if you go back to where there wasnt a super bowl yet like way back in the day. i recall the browns won the championship after being the worst team. i believe it was the year otto graham was drafted. beat the defending champion eagles in the opener i believe

well if you go back to where there wasnt a super bowl yet like way back in the day. i recall the browns won the championship after being the worst team. i believe it was the year otto graham was drafted. beat the defending champion eagles in the opener i believe

Oh yeah. That sounds about right. When the Browns were good and when there was no Super Bowl but only a Championship game. Ancient, prehistoric things. :P

Oh yeah. That sounds about right. When the Browns were good and when there was no Super Bowl but only a Championship game. Ancient, prehistoric things. :P

i think marion motley was on the team too

realisticly i dont see the colts winning 12 games this year, but anything is possible. it is why they play the game. and even with holes in areas of the defense if they all can gel together and turn that defense into a top 15 defense this season then yeah 12 wins is not out of reach. but guys like Freeney,Mathis,Bethea,Mckinney,Redding all of those veterans who have been in the league for 4,5 or more years need to light a fire under those kids behinds and get them to play smart football. Thomas and Rucker have the potential to be very good CB's if used right. im actually very excited for pre season to start in 3 months because i want to see how this colts team can play.

I know it's ridiculous to make any kind of guess because we can't even guess what our team is going to look like.

That being said... looking at our schedule, I'd say we'll most likely lose to the Bears, Packers, Pats, Lions, Jets, and Texans (at least once). That's 6 losses. I figure we have (with no evidence to support it) a 50/50 shot against the other 10 teams.

Which means I doubt we'll match the biggest NFL turnaround this season. But an 8 win season isn't totally out of the question.

Not really true. The Browns came into the AAFC in 1946 and were the best team in the league. So the Browns were always good in the 40s and 50s.

I would say the Rams is more impressive for several reasons:

1. To play 22 games in a 19 game season is unheard of.

2. That means they had to play every NFC team in the playoffs not just the brackets. That is tough to do.

3. To get those extra three games they had to give up their bye week, the week between the NFCC game and the SB and start a week earlier. I bet they were tired at the end of the season.

So with all that, the Rams turn around is much more impressive.

I would say the Rams is more impressive for several reasons:

1. To play 22 games in a 19 game season is unheard of.

2. That means they had to play every NFC team in the playoffs not just the brackets. That is tough to do.

3. To get those extra three games they had to give up their bye week, the week between the NFCC game and the SB and start a week earlier. I bet they were tired at the end of the season.

So with all that, the Rams turn around is much more impressive.

LOL! I thought I was a smartA.

Hey, I'm an engineer. I can't do math without a calculator.

No..because they went from 4-12 to 10-6...right??

Kurt W is the All Time........ feel good story EVER in sports ....

Just impossible to beat. . .

Let me make the case.......

The biggest/best turnaround for the colts was from 74 to 75. The colts were 2-12 in 74 and god awful. The Colts were 10-4 in 75 which is not heir best statistical jump in terms of wins (8 more wins) but consider that the 75 team started 1-4 and then won 9 straight to make the playoffs and win the division. So a team that had won 3 of its last 19 games suddenly plays better and better every week against all expectations and wins 9 in a row to make the playoffs playing in a division against the very strong Miami Dolphins (beating the Dolphins twice) who had won the division 3 years in a row and were super bowl champs. Thats was the best turn around ever.

Trivia the |Colts opened the season at chicago and humiliated walter peyton 35-7 stuffing him on every run for the length of the game.

Probably not the greatest but I like to think about Bert Jones' '75 Colts. They were 2-12 in '74 and were 1-4 to start the '75 season but won their last 9 games to finish 10-4 and win the division.

Loved Bert Jones! Did we lose to the Steelers in the playoffs? I don't know if it was that year but I do remember that after the Steelers game a small plane crashed near the stadium.

Loved Bert Jones! Did we lose to the Steelers in the playoffs? I don't know if it was that year but I do remember that after the Steelers game a small plane crashed near the stadium.

Yup, it was the Steelers. We lost to the Steelers again and the Raiders the next 2 years to end the run. The plane crashed 'IN' Memorial Stadium.

Yup, it was the Steelers. We lost to the Steelers again and the Raiders the next 2 years to end the run. The plane crashed 'IN' Memorial Stadium.

I just remembered, the plane crashed in '76 because the '75 game was in Pitt..

I just remembered, the plane crashed in '76 because the '75 game was in Pitt..

I just remember my dad saying it was a good thing the game wasn't close or go into OT because a lot go people would have still been there.