Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bucky Brooks Colts Draft Analysis

rockywoj

NFL.com's Bucky Brooks comes out with his AFC South Draft Analysis. Here's what he had to say about the Colts ...

"

A tip of the hat should go to Ryan Grigson for assembling a draft class that will enable Andrew Luck to have immediate success as the Colts' new franchise quarterback. The selections of Coby Fleener and Dwayne Allen give Luck a pair of dynamic tight ends to target over the middle of the field, while T.Y. Hilton provides him with the explosive home-run threat to feature on vertical throws. Vick Ballard is the big, physical runner needed to alleviate pressure on the passing game, and his presence could create big-play opportunities off play action. Although the reconstruction of the Colts remains a work in progress, this talented class of playmakers could serve as the foundation for a team that jumps back into contention quicker than anyone anticipates.

Best pick: Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford (Round 1, 1).

Luck is the best quarterback prospect since Peyton Manning. He possesses the physical tools and football IQ to reposition the Colts among the elite teams.

Questionable pick: Chandler Harnish, QB, Northern Illinois (Round 7, 253).

Harnish is a productive running quarterback with Tim Tebow-like skills, but where does he fit into the Colts' plans as a potential "Wildcat" quarterback?

Sleeper pick: Vick Ballard, RB, Mississippi State (Round 5, 170).

The Colts are going back to old-school football under Chuck Pagano, and Ballard is the workhorse runner capable of carrying the load between the tackles."

If the "questionable" pick is the last pick, I think that says a lot about how well the Colts actually did in this draft. I'm okay with the last pick being the team's worst pick.

That being said, however, I have seen other analysts projecting that Harnish should develop into a solid backup QB. Bonus, I suppose, if that comes true, but regardless, not really a position we want to see hit the field other than in cleanup duty.

For me, the sleeper pick is NT Chapman. Sounds like he did well last year, especially considering that he apparently played most of the year injured with, what was it, a torn ACL? If healthy, there seems to be a LOT of upside potential with him.

I think it's funny how our questionable pick is literally the very last player picked in the draft. What, is he expecting us to pickup some HOFer at 253?

Isn't that a compliment? Our only questionable pick is a compensatory last over all? I also didn't think it was a sensible pick, but the odds of Mr. Irrelevant making any team is usually pretty slim in the first place.

I think it's funny how our questionable pick is literally the very last player picked in the draft. What, is he expecting us to pickup some HOFer at 253?

Don't take it personal...SOMEONE has to be considered a questionable pick. Better it be 'Mr. Irrelavant' than a 3rd or 4th round pick. To me, it just means the Colts drafted very well!

Don't take it personal...SOMEONE has to be considered a questionable pick. Better it be 'Mr. Irrelavant' than a 3rd or 4th round pick. To me, it just means the Colts drafted very well!

Yeah, that's the only conclusion I could come to as well. He had to choose someone to be considered a questionable pick. Who better than the guy no one expects to make the team?

at least our questionable pick isnt a 3 round punter

Indeed, but what if this 3rd round punter could become even remotely near what the all mighty Pat McAfee has became?? Wow, that would be something. The Jags would be lucky to get Pat McAfee's mini me. The guy is a legend. Possibly the greatest player of all time, that's why Reggie doesn't share many words with him.

Tackling fuel.

Indeed, but what if this 3rd round punter could become even remotely near what the all mighty Pat McAfee has became?? Wow, that would be something. The Jags would be lucky to get Pat McAfee's mini me. The guy is a legend. Possibly the greatest player of all time, that's why Reggie doesn't share many words with him.

Tackling fuel.

I can confidently say that our punter is the best tackler on our special teams unit.

Though, it wouldn't have hurt to have a guy named Anger on our team. Then we would have Angerer at LB, Anger on special teams, and we would need an Angriest on offense

I can confidently say that our punter is the best tackler on our special teams unit.

Though, it wouldn't have hurt to have a guy named Anger on our team. Then we would have Angerer at LB, Anger on special teams, and we would need an Angriest on offense

I like the Angry philosophy, it has a ring to it.

Yes, Pat McAfee is definitely tackling fuel. I would put my $ on McAfee any day over Ray Lewis.

To be honest I like our last pick. We traded for Stanton (not like he choose to come here). He wants to be a #2 QB with the chance at being a starter. It isn't going to happen here. He is a good backup to have in case Luck goes down because he has a little experience but he is a one and done. Harnish allows us to groom a backup that will be in house for the next 4 years. He will be our number 2 and thus we won't have to use FA dollars next year on one and we won't have to use a draft pick either. Kid was very productive and very tough. He will be able to take a few hits and stay healthy hopefully which is what you want in a back up. You want a healthy one so you don't have to carry 3. (Yes you want a good one to keep you a float but lets be honest if Luck goes down just like when Manning did we are >>>ed...most teams with a franchise qb would be as well).

My initial though on the Chandler Harnish reference was that he mentioned we were going back to 'old school' football, then took a QB that brings a now unconventional skill set (see Tebow, he even mentions the Wildcat) to the position. I guess he meant 'really old school' (see 40's & 50's) as opposed to more recent 'old school' (see 70's).

To be honest I like our last pick. We traded for Stanton (not like he choose to come here). He wants to be a #2 QB with the chance at being a starter. It isn't going to happen here. He is a good backup to have in case Luck goes down because he has a little experience but he is a one and done. Harnish allows us to groom a backup that will be in house for the next 4 years. He will be our number 2 and thus we won't have to use FA dollars next year on one and we won't have to use a draft pick either. Kid was very productive and very tough. He will be able to take a few hits and stay healthy hopefully which is what you want in a back up. You want a healthy one so you don't have to carry 3. (Yes you want a good one to keep you a float but lets be honest if Luck goes down just like when Manning did we are >>>ed...most teams with a franchise qb would be as well).

I'm with you. I don't know a lot about this guy Harnish and the Tebow comparisons seam to scare people but grooming a back up QB can't be a bad thing. We of all teams should know that after last year.

I'm with you. I don't know a lot about this guy Harnish and the Tebow comparisons seam to scare people but grooming a back up QB can't be a bad thing. We of all teams should know that after last year.

Harnish is not that much like Tebow..that I can see from highlights..

...and we're talking about the words of a Bucky