Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Man Mountain McKinney speaks

Coffeedrinker

I wasn't too thrilled with the signing of McKinney.. I mean 7 years in the league and 6 starts is not impressive but he has been the primary back-up to two of the best NTs in the league over that time frame and he seems to be very excited about having a legitimate chance to start with the Colts.

Here is the article on Colts.com. I am not one who usually puts too much stock in quotes because IMO talk is cheap but I did like this line from the artcicle.

“Alignment is the biggest thing (for this to be a good defense). In getting lined up, you have to believe the coaches are going to put you in a position to make plays. After that, it’s total chaos.”

Now, I like the sound of that. Last year I did not know the Ravens signed a new DC (Pagano) nor that it was his 1st year as a DC. I just new that in the 5 or 6 games that I watched... that D was a lot of fun to watch and now I get to watch it employed by my favorite team. Life is good in football alnd.

I see this guy as not much different than Garay (Chargers) who some here wanted us to sign. NTs are not a dime a dozen position. Guys like Ngata don't come around that often. Usually, rookies seldom make an impact at that spot, nor do younger players. Garay hasn't become a started until the last 2 or so seasons, after being in the league for quite a while. This is exactly what looks like could happen with McKinney.

Personally, I am hopeful that McKinney makes a solid impact, and that that will give Chapman time to recover and develop. In any case, McKinney is a much more stout tackle than we have had in a long, long time. That alone should give us a benefit over the tackles we've had the past 5 years.

We should have a decent rotation at NT with him, Chapman, and Mookie, for at least a year. It's going to be a work in progress, we all have to understand that.

After the last two opening games, where it looked like we were a high school team trying to stop a pro offense, this has to be an improvement. I hope.

Question. If we get into the 3-4 on 1st down and then switch to a 4-3 on 2nd down, does that mean McKinney or Chapman stays on the field as a 4-3 DT? If so, that is a heck of an upgrade compared to the interior DT's we've had the last few years. Our 4-3 should be really stout.

Question. If we get into the 3-4 on 1st down and then switch to a 4-3 on 2nd down, does that mean McKinney or Chapman stays on the field as a 4-3 DT? If so, that is a heck of an upgrade compared to the interior DT's we've had the last few years. Our 4-3 should be really stout.

I would think so but we won't know until we see it.

Let's say we have 3 down lineman of Nevis/McKinney/Redding then on the next play they slide Redding inside and put Freeney next to him with his hand on the ground.

If you're going to be multiple then you want to be able to do it without having to make a lot of personnel changes (both to maintain unpredictability and prevent teams from taking advantage of the guys running onto or off of the field). That means that going from a 3-4 to a 4-3 often means having your players out on the field line up in a slightly different gap per the new front with one of your 3-4 OLBs sticking a hand in the dirt and effectively becoming a DE.

I think the competition between McKinney and Chapman will be a good one in camp. I'm hoping Chapman is the future for us at the position, but from what I gather, it does take a couple years to reach your full potential. Whoever starts; McKinney, Chapman, or Mookie, they're all going to get a fair shake, and the best one will have the most reps.

I like girthy men. haha

Polian use to say that he always wanted big fast guys, but because of where we picked, we always had to settle for smaller fast guys. In his first offseason, Grigs has brought in beef through FA fairly cheaply and spent a fifth round pick. I have a hunch that I am going to like the new approach.

FWIW, please dont let my comment turn this thread into a GM comparison.

We could see both Chapman and McKinney on the field together. Chapman McKinney Redding and then Freeney off the corner and Mathis blitzing between the whole Mckinney and Chapman make.

No chips or double teams on D-Free on passing downs downs with this scenario. Wow, Mathis and Freeney will have a field day.

I agree with another poster who said we wouldn't require a lockdown corner righ away because of the pass rush pressure. If the offense sees the alignment in time they'd require keeping the tight end in or possible a back to help out.

Looks great on paper, at least.

No chips or double teams on D-Free on passing downs downs with this scenario. Wow, Mathis and Freeney will have a field day.

I agree with another poster who said we wouldn't require a lockdown corner righ away because of the pass rush pressure. If the offense sees the alignment in time they'd require keeping the tight end in or possible a back to help out.

Looks great on paper, at least.

Steelers: #1 in points allowed, 35 sacks (Woodley, 9 sacks)

49ers: #2 in points allowed, 42 sacks (Smith, 14 sacks)

Ravens: #3 in points allowed, 48 sacks (Suggs, 14 sacks)

Texens: #4 in points allowed, 44 sacks (Barwin, 11.5 sacks)

All four run high pass rush pressure 3-4 defense with at least one relentless pass rusher...none have anywhere close to a 'shut down corner'.

Jets: #20 in points allowed, 35 sacks, and possess a shutdown corner, but NO relentless pass rusher. Note: LB David Harris led team with only 5 sacks, hence the 1st round selection of Quinton Coples.

The above just supports you argument (which I agree with). Typically, the best pass defense is a great pass rusher. The Colts current have TWO.

TBH i am excited about our defense for this upcoming season.

I am too. I am very happy to have someone in here that we KNOW can put a defense on the field. It is a dance between coaching and staffing and I do not necessarily think we are there yet. But we really are headed in the right direction. And that does make it exciting.

Steelers: #1 in points allowed, 35 sacks (Woodley, 9 sacks) 49ers: #2 in points allowed, 42 sacks (Smith, 14 sacks) Ravens: #3 in points allowed, 48 sacks (Suggs, 14 sacks) Texens: #4 in points allowed, 44 sacks (Barwin, 11.5 sacks) All four run high pass rush pressure 3-4 defense with at least one relentless pass rusher...none have anywhere close to a 'shut down corner'. Jets: #20 in points allowed, 35 sacks, and possess a shutdown corner, but NO relentless pass rusher. Note: LB David Harris led team with only 5 sacks, hence the 1st round selection of Quinton Coples. The above just supports you argument (which I agree with). Typically, the best pass defense is a great pass rusher. The Colts current have TWO.

That is a great post! (used up my likes)

I like the thread title... maybe we can nickname him "Mount McKinney".

I would prefer to call it by it's original name and what Alaskans still call it today, but I don't think he will change his last name to Denali just for me. I'm sorry, I lived in Alaska for many years, married into an Alaskan family and am moving back at the end of the year so I couldn't help myself.

I am glad to see all of the enthusiam for our D, but we have to remember that we are transitioning to a whole new scheme without a large number of high draft choices used on D. I think we will struggle this year on D while the offense becomes more and more explosive as the year goes on.

2013 will see the beginning of a dominant defense as our good players have had a year in the system and we add a couple of high impact free agents and use a significant number of our draft choices on defense.

By 2014, I believe we are true Super Bowl contenders.

When transitioning to a new style of Defense, I'd rather have primarily veterans than rookies that first year. Veterans can pick up things faster than rookies.

Also remember when the Pats won their first SB in 2001? They didn't do that because they drafted a bunch of great defensive players (they did draft Seymour but he was the only one that saw significant action) they did it by signing some crafty veterans like Bryan Cox.

I'm not saying the D is going to be awesome but the Colts have taken that strategy signing FAs below the top tier like McKinney, Zbikowski, Mathis and not trading or releasing Freeney.

I am glad to see all of the enthusiam for our D, but we have to remember that we are transitioning to a whole new scheme without a large number of high draft choices used on D. I think we will struggle this year on D while the offense becomes more and more explosive as the year goes on.

Agree with you. One thing i would counter with, though; The same "new scheme" will give us a bit of an advantage this year. No one will have a library of tape on us so they will not be able to prepare for us like years past - offensively or defensively. Heck, WE may not know exactly what we're doing week to week, lol. That may give us a win or two early in the year. We shall see...

Yeah, it will be frustrating at times as people miss an assignment or two, but i am much more confident than i was pre-draft.

When transitioning to a new style of Defense, I'd rather have primarily veterans than rookies that first year. Veterans can pick up things faster than rookies.

Also remember when the Pats won their first SB in 2001? They didn't do that because they drafted a bunch of great defensive players (they did draft Seymour but he was the only one that saw significant action) they did it by signing some crafty veterans like Bryan Cox.

I'm not saying the D is going to be awesome but the Colts have taken that strategy signing FAs below the top tier like McKinney, Zbikowski, Mathis and not trading or releasing Freeney.

Good points. We need the new vets to even help the 'old' vets transition too.

I'm not saying we'll be as good as Houston was last year on D, but it gives me a lot a hope when we see a team that was horrible in 10 make that switch and turn it around so fast.

Good points. We need the new vets to even help the 'old' vets transition too.

I'm not saying we'll be as good as Houston was last year on D, but it gives me a lot a hope when we see a team that was horrible in 10 make that switch and turn it around so fast.

It will be interesting to see the LBs play pass coverage and the D-line be stout at point of attack, and possibly funnel plays laterally for the LBs to clean up. LBs will have the light shining on them more than before in this hybrid.

I will be curious to see if Drake Nevis will have any kind of pass rush responsibilities at all as a 3-4 DE, I hope he does.

Agree. Signing Zib, Redding and McKinney was just as much about teaching the Colts' holdover about the new scheme as it is about them contributing. The Packers did a great job initially drafting for the 3-4 and transitioning their holdovers...but they also had the luxury as their offense was already set. Hopefully our offense will be somewhat set after this season...

you have to be a really good player to back up nghata who is considered the best nt in the nfl. at 6'2 345lbs mckinney will take on double teams which will allow angerer and conner to make more plays. it's going to be really hard to run on us now that we have mckinney 345 lbs, redding 300lbs, and nevis 295lbs as our 3-4 front. i expect us to be top 10 in the nfl vs the run.