Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Bears post game thread

GoColts8818

Id like to see more QB designed runs and stuff with options to run or pass. However I don't half way blame them for pressing pocket passing either bc at some point you know JT is going to get hurt. Might as well let AR get his feel for the pocket early in the season. Say what you want but plenty of guys are open. He's just got to place and complete the pass properly. So far hasn't been happening but we will keep trying until things improve I guess 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ColtAndOrioles said:

AR is the future of this team.  He has a high ceiling and with him, and IF he progresses, the team could be a SB contender in a year or 2.  But with or without him there is no way in H E double toothpicks that this team wins a SB this year.  Just not enough ELITE talent on the team.  Honestly the only truly elite player on the entire team as of today is JT.  AR could be.  Not now but could be.

I would say that Nelson is elite now, and so is Buckner.  I would also say that Latu is almost elite now, as a rookie, and with only minimal refinement and continued health his stats will match how he looks on the field.  He is a game wrecker.  We have found our future pass rusher for years to  come and people are overlooking that because they are hyper focused on what AR may or may not be, and I get that. 
As for AR- I like that he is masking some sickening mistakes now so that his rookie wall doesn't bear it's ugly head later.  If he can make his most boneheaded rookie mistakes during games where we drag out a WIN- even better, and that was certainly the case yesterday.  

The reason why you stick with Richardson for a few years- and I mean years- is because of the obvious upside.  You don't see too many guys that are a legitimate threat to flick the ball on a rope 60 yards with accuracy from anywhere on the field that have DE size with the speed of a RB. We know that AR is all of these things.  But like someone said- Anthony effortlessly does the things that very few can do and dreams of doing.  He is failing and failing hard on the routine things that most backups can be efficient at. This is why I think he improves and we have to be patient. Let the game slow down for him and keep pushing him to process quickly and throw accurately.  Eventually muscle memory takes over. Let the mistakes happen now as opposed to later.  Lets hope they don't happen later  

4 hours ago, ColtAndOrioles said:

Do you honestly think the Colts will win a SB, let alone make the playoffs....with Joe Flacco as QB?  I mean are you seriously pining for a 39 year old retread ala Matt Ryan to lead this team????

I am at a loss for that and the only thing that makes any sense is your complete dislike for AR is clouding your judgement. 

AR is the future of this team.  He has a high ceiling and with him, and IF he progresses, the team could be a SB contender in a year or 2.  But with or without him there is no way in H E double toothpicks that this team wins a SB this year.  Just not enough ELITE talent on the team.  Honestly the only truly elite player on the entire team as of today is JT.  AR could be.  Not now but could be.

Besides that?  Nobody.  By elite I mean game changing talent. 

So you ride with AR, hope he stays healthy and finishes the season, and improves. He makes good decisions for the most part.  The INT in the endzone today was not a good one but for the most part he does.  He just needs to gain experience and technique. 

But saying JF should start, when at best....I mean AT BESt ALL HE DOES IS GET YOU into the first round of the playoffs?  Who cares.

I would rather see progression from AR, even it means suffering through a lot of losses, and get a high pick for next year rather than go through a 9-8 season with JF.  Remember the first Manning year he was not good, but he gained tons of experience.  We then got a super high draft pick where we drafted Edge the and we were off to the races after that.

I mean, haven't you had enough of Rivers, Wentz, Ryan and Mishew?  I cannot honestly believe people want to go back to that.   FJ is Matt Ryan PERSONIFIED. 

Yeah I think we have a  better shot with Flacco. He would be able to better utilize the weapons we have on offense. He can make the easy layups on 3rd down to keep the drives going. Give our defense a breather.  I’m in the camp that believes you either have accuracy or you don’t. I don’t hate AR but It’s obvious how inaccurate he is. Manning was a totally different animal at qb. I think the Colts are wasting their time on a huge project . But since it looks like the colts are willing to flush the season all I can do is hope for the best. Looking forward to that high draft pick. Possibly #1. If that’s the case what position do you hope we draft that will have the same effect as Edge?  Hey I hope I’m wrong and AR magically becomes more accurate. Guess we’ll see.

Why does Steichen play calling remind me so much of Frank Reich? 3 runs up the middle, then call a screen on 3rd and 17. He's had some really bad series play calling wise these last few games. 

Speaking of, how is this team still so bad at running/defending screens still?? 

Franklin needs to be benched. That dude is doing his best Shaq Leonard impression and and he flat out sucks. 

It would be nice to see a TE pass once a game for crying out loud. 

That was a game of who's QB is less crappy. (not sure ours was better tbh) but that was brutal to watch. 

AR has got to figure out his footwork. These sailing balls are out of control and happen way too often. Then when he tried to put touch on the pass, it's underthrown. They have got to devote more time to his mechanics. 

I would've liked to see better blocking for JT. JT made some stuff happen, but he got stuffed quite often too. There are other runs beside up the middle there Steichen. 

AR playing out of shotgun is getting old. 

If Latu stays healthy, we got the steal of the draft. 

I will say that if your O-line features Matt Pryor at guard, you're gonna have problems. 

11 hours ago, IndyEV said:

Btw, did AD Mitchell even get looked to this game? I don’t even remember seeing him out there!? Same question goes towards all these so-called TEs the Colts supposedly have!?

Yes, he was the targeted WR on the horrible pick in the end zone wasnt he?
I'm pretty sure i saw him targeted on at least one more ball as well. AD is unlucky to have not had a big week 1 and 2 already as well. Some drops on his part, as well as some overthrown balls from AR, but he has been in the positions to make the plays. Give him time, he has been flashing, and his time will come.

8 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

You may be right…. But what do we get with AR? Maybe 3 more wins at best? No shot at the playoffs. A top five draft pick? I guess on the bright side we’re might get a new GM and D coordinator.

😂 3 more wins AT BEST? You are too doom and gloom my guy.

Today was by far and away the worst AR has ever played (in not even 7 full games of action btw). He is basically still a rookie and coming off an injury and a surgery which took his whole summer away. Should he have played better than that last game?Yes, undoubtedly. 

Accuracy issues can be fixed. He just needs the time to work on his mechanics - which he has been unable to do since October last year. Go watch Josh Allen's first season and then his second season after a full season of play and the a full offseason of workin on his mechanics and then tell me again that it cant be done.

15 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Let’s not also forget Richardson could barely work on mechanics in the off season because of his surgery. That is the stuff you work on when before the spring practices.

Thanks for clearing this up. He seems rusty after a solid couple games last year. As much as people complain about coaches, most of its on the players. I hope there is no finger pointing in the locker rooms. Everyone needs to step up, do thier job, and enjoy doing more than expected.

If ar needs time to develop in game thats fine. Idk football coaching... but sometimes i wonder where we'd be with flacco as qb. Geez sometimes this team feels like a trainwreck, what kinda %show is irsay running over there. Something just isnt right. wth

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ColtAndOrioles said:

I totally disagree.  SS has to tell him before the kickoff that if he catches the ball in the EZ, to run it out just to kill the 2 minute warning. 

I mean this is basic coaching 101.  SS just seems like he is not very smart imo.  I also don't feel as if he holds people accountable, similar to Reich.  He takes JT out for the entire 4th Q last week for example, the Colts best players.  Beyond stupid.  And his obsession with running the ball up the middle....very Reich like....and not getting JT into open space is mind bottling. 

"boggling"

59 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

Yes, he was the targeted WR on the horrible pick in the end zone wasnt he?
I'm pretty sure i saw him targeted on at least one more ball as well. AD is unlucky to have not had a big week 1 and 2 already as well. Some drops on his part, as well as some overthrown balls from AR, but he has been in the positions to make the plays. Give him time, he has been flashing, and his time will come.

😂 3 more wins AT BEST? You are too doom and gloom my guy.

Today was by far and away the worst AR has ever played (in not even 7 full games of action btw). He is basically still a rookie and coming off an injury and a surgery which took his whole summer away. Should he have played better than that last game?Yes, undoubtedly. 

Accuracy issues can be fixed. He just needs the time to work on his mechanics - which he has been unable to do since October last year. Go watch Josh Allen's first season and then his second season after a full season of play and the a full offseason of workin on his mechanics and then tell me again that it cant be done.

Josh Allen is the exception not the norm. AR can’t make the easy throws. He constantly overthrows his receivers. This was the second game in a row where he’s looked terrible. I hope he can improve his accuracy but it’s not likely. This next game against the Steelers is going to be brutal.

10 hours ago, RollerColt said:

While Flacco did an admirable job to end the season last year in Cleveland, he threw 2 interceptions in his playoff game last year and got blown out by Houston. 

The Flacco of the Baltimore Ravens isn’t really there anymore. And while his arm seems fine now, Father Time sneaks up quickly. 

Flacco would win us a few more games, maybe even reach the wildcard… but he won’t be enough for this team to be considered a Super Bowl contender. With Flacco we’d reach our usual mediocrity that so many hate. 

And end up drafting in the middle to lower part of the first round.  The team needs a top 5-10 pick (or two).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

Yeah I think we have a  better shot with Flacco. He would be able to better utilize the weapons we have on offense. He can make the easy layups on 3rd down to keep the drives going. Give our defense a breather.  I’m in the camp that believes you either have accuracy or you don’t. I don’t hate AR but It’s obvious how inaccurate he is. Manning was a totally different animal at qb. I think the Colts are wasting their time on a huge project . But since it looks like the colts are willing to flush the season all I can do is hope for the best. Looking forward to that high draft pick. Possibly #1. If that’s the case what position do you hope we draft that will have the same effect as Edge?  Hey I hope I’m wrong and AR magically becomes more accurate. Guess we’ll see.

The only thing that would be a waste of time is trotting an aged 40 year old QB that wasn’t all that great to begin with even in his prime out there when a potential filled 22 yr old QB yet to hit his prime is healthy. 

Patience.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, ColtAndOrioles said:

I will say this. AR imo threw the ball much MUCH better in his 4 games last year compared to his first 3 this year.  Not even close.   I have to believe a lot of that is due to him being unable to practice much on his mechanics until August or so.  Remember even during spring practice he was complaining of a sore shoulder and had to take some time off.

I fully believe that once he is totally over his injury that he will be able to take the extra reps needed to get back into a way of throwing without having to think so much.

I play a sport at a highly competitive level, won't say which one, but I broke my thumb this spring and I just now am start to get back into the swing of things.  But I am not even close to where I was before I broke it. 

Must be golf.  

13 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

And end up drafting in the middle to lower part of the first round.  The team needs a top 5-10 pick (or two).

Exactly. 

I'd rather us figure out what we have in Richardson with a full season and get a top pick to build the roster, than limp this team to maybe a wildcard spot where we'd get blown out. 

Yes, for some that's probably a "loser" mentality. But you know what? Screw those people's opinions. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, csmopar said:

The only thing that would be a waste of time is trotting an aged 40 year old QB that wasn’t all that great to begin with even in his prime out there when a potential filled 22 yr old QB yet to hit his prime is healthy. 

Patience.

Agreed!

Hell looking back at that Super Bowl run: the only reason Flacco even beat Manning in the playoffs for 2012 was because of blown coverage by the Broncos defense that allowed Jacoby Jones to walk into the endzone right at the end of the game. 

31 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Josh Allen is the exception not the norm. AR can’t make the easy throws. He constantly overthrows his receivers. This was the second game in a row where he’s looked terrible. I hope he can improve his accuracy but it’s not likely. This next game against the Steelers is going to be brutal.

Neither could Josh Allen his rookie year.. nor even Peyton. But they flashed potential.

look, I wasn’t a fan of taking AR. I wasn’t a fan of any of the QBs that year, I was wrong about Stroud and AR is playing better than I thought he would at this stage. I think Ballard is right, it’ll take 3-4 years of playing before we truly know what AR is going to be. 

the thing I like most and arguably one of the hardest thing for any QB starting in the league is making the right reads. He’s doing that consistently. Yes, he’s getting happy feet and giddy when he does it and that’s causing him to over throw his WRs, but I think it’ll start to slow down and calm down for him. 

even if our D hadn’t allowed 600 yards rushing in games 1&2 and we’d won those games, many on here would still be complaining and nitpicking AR.

i say let the kid have the room to make mistakes and see what he does after. 
going to Flacco at this stage does absolutely no good. Best case it MIGHT get us an extra win or three. Worst case we’re right where we would have been with AR. However , in either case, we’ve taken valuable reps from AR. 

before anyone says, Rodger, or Love or Mahomes all sat behind for a year or three, that’s not a fair comparison. All of them sat behind established super stars at QB still in their prime. Flacco is not that

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Exactly. 

I'd rather us figure out what we have in Richardson with a full season and get a top pick to build the roster, than limp this team to maybe a wildcard spot where we'd get blown out. 

Yes, for some that's probably a "loser" mentality. But you know what? Screw those people's opinions. 

I don’t see it as a losers mentality. I see it as a long term winning strategy if it works.

while not a direct comparison, it’s like running the Indy 500. You’re not gonna win the Indy 500 on lap 1. But you sure can lose it on lap 1 by being impatient and pushing a bad position. 

there’s a reason very few rookie QBs have ever actually made it to the Super Bowl or even the playoffs. Last I checked I think it was exactly 4 in all the decades of football. 

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I don’t see it as a losers mentality. I see it as a long term winning strategy if it works.

while not a direct comparison, it’s like running the Indy 500. You’re not gonna win the Indy 500 on lap 1. But you sure can lose it on lap 1 by being impatient and pushing a bad position. 

cupcake GIF

Now I'm having war flashbacks to Scott Sharp wrecking on the first turn of the first lap of the Indy 500 as the pole position... 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, IndyEV said:

Btw, did AD Mitchell even get looked to this game? I don’t even remember seeing him out there!? Same question goes towards all these so-called TEs the Colts supposedly have!?

I think he got at least one pass threw his way.   I feel like he didn't fight for the ball, and Pierce or Puttman might have caught it.   I'm disappointed in his effort so far. 

Hello all, congrats on the W. Was disappointed Bears didn't stick with Roschon running the ball up the middle. Thought they were having success there. Caleb had some turnovers but overall this is the best he has looked in this young season. Hopefully it is not a reflection of the competition (don't really know how good Colts DBs are) and we are actually seeing growth there. Richardson looked good for a young QB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Exactly. 

Eh, if people can’t control their need to win to win more in the future I know who I think has more of a “loser” mentality…

Putting in Flacco will just keep this team mediocre. 

19 minutes ago, Bearzzz said:

Hello all, congrats on the W. Was disappointed Bears didn't stick with Roschon running the ball up the middle. Thought they were having success there. Caleb had some turnovers but overall this is the best he has looked in this young season. Hopefully it is not a reflection of the competition (don't really know how good Colts DBs are) and we are actually seeing growth there. Richardson looked good for a young QB.

I think Williams will be fine in the long run. He's been improving each game and that's what matters. 

Definitely showed some 1st overall pick flashes, and hey! The good news is he's now at the top for single game passing yards. Not even Mahomes has reached that amount in a game yet lol... 

21 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I think Williams will be fine in the long run. He's been improving each game and that's what matters. 

Definitely showed some 1st overall pick flashes, and hey! The good news is he's now at the top for single game passing yards. Not even Mahomes has reached that amount in a game yet lol... 

Lol, not the stat I want a young QB being a leader in. Not very pleased with the coaching staff. I'd rather they figure out how to run the ball.

43 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Eh, if people can’t control their need to win to win more in the future I know who I think has more of a “loser” mentality…

Putting in Flacco will just keep this team mediocre. 

I don’t think it’s a loser mentality either way. We all want to win….just have different opinions.

I think he will have to Run for his Football life this week against the Vaunted Steel Curtain 2.0. This may the best medicine for his Throwing “Yips”. He’s got a case of Chuck Knoblauch and Steve Sax crazy arm. I think the surgeon repaired the shoulder to a Bionic State. Take 2 Advil before the game and settle down!! It’s in his head for sure, so until he fixes it, run him like Craig “Ironhead” Heyward.  
He laid the wood twice on Byard which I couldn’t stand in Tennessee!!! Loved it, absolutely trucked him!

55 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I thought Caleb looked good. He made that stupid mistake all rookie QBs seem to make when they try to throw to across their bodies to the boundary near the LOS. This play seems to get picked off all the time.

He missed some other throws that I am guess he will starting making in the future. Glad to play him early in his rookie season because by season's end, I think he might be really good. Though it won't matter with how terrible that OL is.

4 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I thought Caleb looked good. He made that stupid mistake all rookie QBs seem to make when they try to throw to across their bodies to the boundary near the LOS. This play seems to get picked off all the time.

He missed some other throws that I am guess he will starting making in the future. Glad to play him early in his rookie season because by season's end, I think he might be really good. Though it won't matter with how terrible that OL is.

I agree. The line is looking Andrew Luck era bad. 

In fact, I see a lot of similarities ironically between Williams and Luck with their early career situations: bad offensive line. Head coach is defensive minded. OC (Pep Hamilton) not very strong play caller... 

36 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I wonder if Ballards job is safe if we endure a losing season….maybe two…while they put the emphasis on richardsons growth?

Ballard is safe for at least the 2025 season. Unless AR goes full bust(he won’t) this season, Ballard isn’t on a hotseat until at least 2026

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

In fact, I see a lot of similarities ironically between Williams and Luck with their early career situations: bad offensive line. Head coach is defensive minded. OC (Pep Hamilton) not very strong play caller... 

Agree. I think the big difference is coaching. BA taking over in 2012 made a big difference, plus the "Chuckstrong" motto. It sort of all came together.

Not sure how long Waldron will get to stay as OC.

43 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I like Eberflus as a person and defensive coordinator, I just don't think he is a very good HC. I prefer an offensive minded HC but have no problem with a defensive minded HC.  They just need to have a backbone to call out an OC when their game plan is garbage.