Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Texans post game reaction

GoColts8818

So much doom and gloom on the forums. You would think that we got blew out. Having a chance to win a game with that unbalanced t.o.p. and being AR’s first live football in a year isn’t bad. It stings to lose the game but Houston is gonna be one of the best teams we play all year. One loss should not equal fire this coach or cut that player. Hard to read posts that seem to hate the colts more than cheer them on.

1 minute ago, IndySouthsider said:

lol Ballard teams have two playoff season in 7 years. 

like a 54-61 overall record 

Why is he deemed a success?

why are we having this going nowhere conversation again (for the thousandth time this calendar year) instead of discussing the actual game that just happened and this thread is about? 

21 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Going to watching this new DL coach closely and hope it wasn’t a mistake to change.

What I don’t know is how much does the dline coach have to do with LB?

If Ballard didn’t do it all off season he isn’t doing it after the season starts.

The defensive line coach doesn’t come up with the scheme. That’s Bradley. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

big players make big plays. I thought we kept pace with them quite well, given the start we had. I don’t like taking the ball. Seemed confident and against the data, which is deferring often gets you the last possession of the half and exactly what happened with the Texans. Going for it on 4th and short and the playcall was a really poor start, but we recovered well. What a fiasco at the end of the first half. I also didn’t like going for two at the time as it led to a two possession game, but had we converted the ending would have been interesting. 

we made some great plays. Abandoned the run. I have zero doubts we’ll see a whole lot more of Jonathan Taylor this season than we did today. We’ll see a lot more of CJ Stroud too… 

I like deferring too. Getting the ball 1st in the second half is much better, JMO.

8 minutes ago, Mikemccoy84 said:

So much doom and gloom on the forums. You would think that we got blew out. Having a chance to win a game with that unbalanced t.o.p. and being AR’s first live football in a year isn’t bad. It stings to lose the game but Houston is gonna be one of the best teams we play all year. One loss should not equal fire this coach or cut that player. Hard to read posts that seem to hate the colts more than cheer them on.

It’s going to be that way when it’s the same thing every year. Nothing ever gets fixed. We always compete but come up short.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

Its always disappointing to lose, but Im pretty encouraged with what I saw today.

The offense looks very explosive. That defense is being heralded as a top 3-5 defense this year. We had receivers running free down the field all day. When we get Josh Downs back, look out.

Defensively, I think its pretty clear we still need help in the secondary. But I also think Ballard will do something at some point this year to get help there. I dont think there is anything wrong with being patient. And to be fair, thats an offense that people are expecting to light it up this year, so nobody should be surprised at what we saw today. The right addition in the secondary could make a world of difference.

What bothered me today was the run defense. If we played better vs the run today, we win this game. I have no doubt about that.

I think we will be fine, we hung with them all game and they have a solid team. I know it's a big loss but at least play them again.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree, that catch by Collins was unreal. That was the game. It was a great catch but lucky too.

That catch sealed the deal. Jones played that about as good as you can. Jones played pretty good today also.

• Like 3

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think we will be fine, we hung with them all game and they have a solid team. I know it's a big loss but at least play them again.

We always hang with every team. This team always competes and we rarely get blown out. The issue is we can’t take the next step. It’s always close but no cigar. This is on Ballard because he is stubborn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We lost by 2 points, dominated Homer Simpson Laughing GIF by FOX TV

2:1 in TOP for HOU. Yards on offense weren’t close til the 4Q chucking. Fluky end of first half that likely cost HOU 3. Colts were playing catchup all 2H.

HOU ran all over the Colts DL too.

HOU outplayed them. And you know if the teams were reversed, you would be saying the same. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

We always hang with every team. This team always competes and we rarely get blown out. The issue is we can’t take the next step. It’s always close but no cigar. This is on Ballard because he is stubborn.

Imagine if we had Simmons or Gilmore back. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I like deferring too. Getting the ball 1st in the second half is much better, JMO.

It absolutely is. Major advantage. You get to gameplan for the first drive, regardless of what happens with the opening possession, unless of course you get the blessings of a short field like we gifted the Texans today. When you get the ball out of half, you get to really focus at halftime on a few adjustments and plays to incorporate with the knowledge of the exact circumstances you are coming into the second half with. It's not always the same factor when you are playing defense out of half. Had they scored at the end of the half and came out and scored again on the first possession of 2nd half, it could entirely change what you do as an offense. It just seems like a more logical decision, and then you add in that the analytics back it, and a high percentage of those deferring getting the ball for final possession of half like the Texans did today, it should be a nobrainer. I thought it was interesting, ballsy, and awfully confident to come into the season that way. 

• Like 1

This team is solid except for the gigantic cushions given on 3rd and long. That is really disappointing that we do that over and over and over. Heck, for all we know the Texans false started on purpose to make it 3rd and 11 knowing the Colts would then play a super soft, cushiony zone, and walaa, they get a 12 yard completion to ice the game.

2 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

2:1 in TOP for HOU. Yards on offense weren’t close til the 4Q chucking. Fluky end of first half that likely cost HOU 3. Colts were playing catchup all 2H.

HOU ran all over the Colts DL too.

HOU outplayed them. And you know if the teams were reversed, you would be saying the same. 

No. I would be relieved we won in a 2-point game because Houston could have easily lost without the Collins catch.

• Like 1

Something else to think about regarding AR:

He was directly involved with 268/316 yds of offense and 3/4 TDs.

and he’s doing this as the youngest starting qb in the league and the most inexperienced QB regarding career play time.  Dude is going to be HIM if health doesn’t derail his career.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

No it's not. It's on Ballard that we are always competing, which hasn't always been the case under other management. Ballard doesn't game plan and perform on the field. The coaches can only do so much to put you in the right spots. No one predicted, not one person, that the Texans were going to run it down our throats today. That's not on Ballard, that's on the players not making plays on the field, and perhaps on some game planning/adjustments that weren't sound. No one predicted that. It was more likely Franklin would get thrown on than ran over. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Mikemccoy84 said:

All around the nfl offenses looked pretty bad today maybe it’s lack of preseason or just week one 

Yeah, I'm reviewing numbers and performances today and thinking man, maybe we just got the shaft on opening game draw... No one is discussing that. It sucks that we opened with Houston today. 

2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

No it's not. It's on Ballard that we are always competing, which hasn't always been the case under other management. Ballard doesn't game plan and perform on the field. The coaches can only do so much to put you in the right spots. No one predicted, not one person, that the Texans were going to run it down our throats today. That's not on Ballard, that's on the players not making plays on the field, and perhaps on some game planning/adjustments that weren't sound. No one predicted that. It was more likely Franklin would get thrown on than ran over. 

We are average. We will never take the next step with Bradley and Ballard. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

We are average. We will never take the next step with Bradley and Ballard. 

I choose positivity. We can clean a lot up. Other teams have to find a way to put up bigger scoring. It's a long season, and a very young team. That is a DANG good Houston team, and we were (yet again) a play or two away from a totally different outcome. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I know but I am sure that they have input of rushing schemes ect. Was this new guy not concerned with the run defense to try and get more sacks. Guess we will find out next week. Packers have a good RB.

For the record, Partridge is highly regarded across the league for his work. Let’s give him the season to see how it plays out. 

Talent will always trump coaching.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, DougDew said:

IMO, DeFo is STILL our best defensive player, and he's been here too long for someone to not have surpassed him by now.  He's never been Aaron Donald, so somebody needs to be the guy that takes the lead.

And to boot, he wasn't even a Ballard draft pick. His best pick on defense was a line backer who I said we never should have given a big contract to. I said Leonard was an injury risk and the position was replaceable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The fact that we always compete and don't get blown out is because of talent.  This is a talented roster.  The defense played undisciplined in the run game today.   That's on the players in my opinion.   They weren't coached to over pursue on almost every outside run.  They have the talent to stop it,  they didn't "stay home".  That's preached from pee wee football on up.  SS and gus will work that out.  Talent isn't the issue.   We could have easily won today

• Thanks 1

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

And to boot, he wasn't even a Ballard draft pick. His best pick on defense was a line backer who I said we never should have given a big contract to. I said Leonard was an injury risk and the position was replaceable.

Tell us more Nostradamus... 

4 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I choose positivity. We can clean a lot up. Other teams have to find a way to put up bigger scoring. It's a long season, and a very young team. That is a DANG good Houston team, and we were (yet again) a play or two away from a totally different outcome. 

We hear this every year. When are some of the fans going to realize it’s not happening with those two. 

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The fact that we always compete and don't get blown out is because of talent.  This is a talented roster.  The defense played undisciplined in the run game today.   That's on the players in my opinion.   They weren't coached to over pursue on almost every outside run.  They have the talent to stop it,  they didn't "stay home".  That's preached from pee wee football on up.  SS and gus will work that out.  Talent isn't the issue.   We could have easily won today

We don’t  have enough elite  talent to get over the hump.

• Like 1

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

We hear this every year. When are some of the fans going to realize it’s not happening with those two. 

When they are fired and it's a fact that it is not going to happen. Until then, it's not a fact, it's just an opinion that you are posting on here... 

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Does it really matter how talent is acquired?  Ballard went and got a stud d lineman.   Why does it matter how he got here? 

What I do not like is that it seems as if the fans are requiring AR who is basically a rookie to be perfect. Stound threw 2 potential interceptions today that as a result of luck were taken off the board. Can AR get better, certainly but that will only come with experience. I only saw two bad throws. The first to AD where he threw it over his head and the pass to AD that he missed that should have been the first TD. That will be fixed with timing and playing together. On the INT the TE slipped. If the TE does not slip the pass would have hit him in the hands. On the 2nd long pass to AD the corner grabbed AD (they got a penalty). This grab slowed AD down and without that, the ball hits him in the hands. Stoud also threw a lot of short passes to wide-open receivers. We did not throw any passes to wide-open receivers. I thought AR was great for a first game against what is probably the 2nd most talented team in the AFC and with a few breaks we still could have won the game despite the defensive problems.

• Like 4

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Does it really matter how talent is acquired?  Ballard went and got a stud d lineman.   Why does it matter how he got here? 

Jvan, c'mon man... It's the narrative they want to push. Let Moose the Goose walk himself in circles. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What is strange is, under Bradley our Run D has always been respectable, it is always our Pass D that gives up big plays. Today, our Run D looked like the 2006 Colts without Bob. 

Man, I remember those days. Not fun at all watching our d get gashed by MJD.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Waylon said:

I know at least one offense who didn’t look too bad. 😬

It was probably because we had 2 kickers on the 53 this week.   You were totally right.   Those 2 kickers were the difference