Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Update: Tracking Colts releases at cutdown

CR91

9 hours ago, stitches said:

When Gus likes a player he really likes a player, no matter how trash they have actually been in the league. We saw him start Brandon freaking Facyson over Isaiah Rodgers for almost a full season. I think he likes Baker in a similar manner. Except he's even worse than Facyson.

I said this same thing on the colts ig post!!  He needs that one guy that’s an automatic cook and big play lol

13 hours ago, TigerColt said:

Desmond King Has been cut from the Texans. He would be a nice depth addition. 

Desmond has already played for Gus too if I'm not mistaken. 

He already knows Gus's system

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Regarding our secondary, it is almost seems like that Ballard has been hearing the outside noise and is trying to prove a point. Meaning, watch the guys I drafted will be good. I hope he is right.

Regarding Sam making the team, I knew that would happen. I called that a week ago. It really isn't because he is good, he has just been here for a few years, knows the system, and is great locker-room guy. Ballard loves him as our 3rd stringer.

And Steichen must like him too. He was drafted when Reich was here and is still here. I am guessing he's a smart guy who is great in the film room. Possibly a future coach of some sort.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, BeanDiasucci said:

I have more an observation than an argument - that those young DBs weren't great last season and had some durability issues. Ballard indicated in his season ending press conference that it could be an area for roster additions, yet they haven't added anybody through the draft, free agency, or trades, even for improved depth. It may work out, but it seems risky and a little curious.

It's been my position all offseason that the Colts should have made a change in the secondary. Either veteran depth/competition, or a starter level vet. So I agree that it's risky, but I also believe that young players have to play in real games to get better. 

What's interesting to me is that I think fans/media kind of heard what they wanted to hear from Ballard, which is typical. After the season, he said they'd look at what they can do to get better in the secondary. For most of us who felt like the secondary wasn't good enough, that translated into 'we're going to make some changes with personnel.' But by the time of his Combine presser, Ballard had started saying stuff like 'they're not rookies anymore, we think they got better as the year went on,' etc. Then in free agency, they didn't make any changes in the secondary. Ballard continued saying 'we think our young guys can play' in his draft pressers. 

But fans/media kept saying 'surely they'll add some players to the secondary.' First, we were waiting for the draft (and they did add to the secondary, but with Day 3 picks). Then, we were waiting for the comp pick deadline. Then we were certain he'd sign someone before camp started, then it was a couple weeks into camp, and then after the Downs injury, and then after the first preseason game, and then... Even now, we're waiting to see what kind of waiver claims the Colts have in. I guess we're all gluttons for punishment.

The reality is that the Colts strategy is to let the DBs they have continue to play and develop. And they hope that a) some of the young guys are better and more durable this season, and b) the pass rush is improved, which will help the pass coverage at all levels. It's obvious from their words and their actions, going all the way back to March. I would have added a veteran or two, if it were up to me, but I think their strategy is reasonable and understandable. And now we get to see whether it pays off, or is a huge mistake. And the team should be judged on the results, all the way to the top.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, stitches said:

https://www.colts.com/news/initial-53-man-roster-cuts-release-waived-position-roster-moves

Defensive backs on the 2023 roster: 

Cornerbacks: Darrell Baker Jr., JuJu Brents, Tony Brown, Dallis Flowers, Jaylon Jones, Kenny Moore II

Safeties: Julian Blackmon, Nick Cross, Trevor Denbow, Rodney Thomas II

Defensive backs on the 2024 roster:

Cornerbacks: Darrell Baker Jr., JuJu Brents, Dallis Flowers, Jaylon Jones, Kenny Moore II

Safeties: Julian Blackmon, Nick Cross, Trevor Denbow, Rodney Thomas II

#progress #IfItAintBroke :dunno:

That's wild. But even moreso when you consider the data points they have learned since last year:

Baker: was really bad

Brents: injured for half of the season (still hurt)

Flowers: coming back from a torn Achilles

Jones: was decent for a rookie but started to regress down the stretch

Blackmon: played great at SS but got hurt

Thomas: rookie season proved to be a fluke and he was benched

Cross: still couldn't get it on the field until Thomas was benched

Those are all things that happened since last year. So it was one thing to bet on that group last year under the premise of potential (which many were critical of), but to do it again for the second year in a row? 

Ballard has skimped on the secondary before. I think we forget that they started the 2021 season with only Willis, Blackmon (who had injury issues), Odum (a STer) and Chachere as their only Ss to start. Both Blackmon and Willis got hurt and they had to cut Chachere a couple weeks into the season. 

At least then they had Kenny, RYS, Carrie and Rodgers as CBs. 

But this might just be part of Ballard's philosophy when it comes to building the defense. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I don't know if it's bad, but it's not good.

Far too early to tell, but 2024 at least looks better than the previous two years. 

But out of the 19 players drafted between 2022 and 2023 (removing AR since he could make or break it all), that does not seem like an impressive list.

And Ballard builds his roster through the draft. So that should be at least a little concerning regarding the future of this team and having sustained success. Some/many of these players are supposed to make up the core of the team over the next 5+ years.

And much of the current core of this team is nearing 30, many of whom came into the league in 2018 (or earlier), so this needs to happen sooner than later.

If you think that's bad, you should try looking at it with a "player value" grading attached.  Just because you're a starter doesn't necessarily mean you're a good player.  It just means you're the best player at your position on the team.

Check out the Pro Football Reference page for Colts all-time draft history.  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/draft.htm

It calculates a "weighted average value" based off of their stats, which increases every year.

The biggest difference you see is in the 2021 draft.  Kwity Paye has already earned a 20 wAV rating after three years.  But Dayo Odeyingbo has only earned a 7.  And Kylen Granson has earned a 6.

Just now, Superman said:

Glad he made it through the wire. I expected him to be claimed.

Same. Long season so crazy things can happen, but I think it's safe to say we'll most likely have him on the team again for next season. 

4 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Sorry to see Laulu got picked up. He looked promising, buy they chose Taven Bryan... probably hoping to sneak Laulu through

I wonder if Taven Bryan gets cut to make room for Womack.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I wonder if Taven Bryan gets cut to make room for Womack.

I doubt it. Having both Laulu and Eric Johnson off the board, and not returning to our PS, could entrench Bryan more.

but who knows?

Just now, 1959Colts said:

I doubt it. Having both Laulu and Eric Johnson off the board, and not returning to our PS, could entrench Bryan more.

but who knows?

There are a lot of good players available right now.

If I made a list of our roster and numbered them from 1 to 53, Bryan is one of the bottom 3 guys. And we're a little heavy at DL. Maybe they're keeping him because Davis hasn't played yet, but I feel like 9 is the right number, not 10. 

We also might be heavy at OL and WR. Womack might be able to take Dulin's place on STs. 

• Like 1

Just now, Superman said:

There are a lot of good players available right now.

If I made a list of our roster and numbered them from 1 to 53, Bryan is one of the bottom 3 guys. And we're a little heavy at DL. Maybe they're keeping him because Davis hasn't played yet, but I feel like 9 is the right number, not 10. 

We also might be heavy at OL and WR. Womack might be able to take Dulin's place on STs. 

Good point, I didnt think of Dulin. I just hope they don't get too cute, and risk Tucker, who I have high hopes for

Just now, 1959Colts said:

Good point, I didnt think of Dulin. I just hope they don't get too cute, and risk Tucker, who I have high hopes for

I think Pinter or Bortolini would be in more trouble than Tucker. In fact, Bortolini can go to IR with a return designation now that cuts have been made. I don't know what his status is, but that could be in play to free up a roster spot. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think Pinter or Bortolini would be in more trouble than Tucker. In fact, Bortolini can go to IR with a return designation now that cuts have been made. I don't know what his status is, but that could be in play to free up a roster spot. 

Really good point about Bortolini and the IR.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Perhaps Bortolini IR to return. Keeps him out for only 4 games

22 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Sorry to see Laulu got picked up. He looked promising, buy they chose Taven Bryan... probably hoping to sneak Laulu through

Same. I thought he looked good but that room probably had the toughest cuts of anywhere else on the team. Hope it works out well for him

• Like 1

Just now, Colts.sb41 said:

Same. I thought he looked good but that room probably had the toughest cuts of anywhere else on the team. Hope it works out well for him

DT is our deepest and most veteran position group. Laulu would have struggled to even dress on Sundays. I'm sure they hoped he'd clear waivers and wind up on the PS, but this is how it goes. 

• Like 2