Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

8-20 Bengals colts joint practice

18 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

With QB Browning, the Bengals tore up the Colts defense. Grover was missing but still they ran all over us. This preseason will tell alot if we have improved or even stand a chance with the Texans. First Half will tell the story.

And you know this how? Were you there?

26 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

With QB Browning, the Bengals tore up the Colts defense. Grover was missing but still they ran all over us. This preseason will tell alot if we have improved or even stand a chance with the Texans. First Half will tell the story.

Yep. Browning was outstanding. Don't know how much time he will play tomorrow? but I expect him to give us trouble, even with their 2nd string

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AustexColt said:

For some reason bradley couldn't scheme up a defense to stop the screen plays

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BeanDiasucci said:

And any particular game isn't the whole story, either. Practice is a piece of the story. Why can't we learn from each piece of the story? Do we need to wait until the end of the season to speculate on the team's strengths and weaknesses? 

• Like 2

On 8/20/2024 at 1:59 PM, chad72 said:

Teams are just going to play the run against AR and JT crowding the box and our pass catchers are going to have to win a lot of 1-on-1s for teams to change the way they play us. That is how I see it play out in the beginning till AR and the pass catchers make enough big plays for the safeties to back off.

It is funny and I think a lot of people are thinking because of JT and AR we are going to see a lot of crowded boxes. I was reading an article the other day and  I was trying to attach it to this forum but I couldn't for some reason. I will attempt to find it again as it was a great article about the RPO. It was a basically about how teams appear to be figuring out the RPO game and essentially playing for the pass and not biting on the run and last years stats appear to support this.  Of course the article was way more detailed in showing reasons for the decline of the RPO. I must admit that AR and JT are a different animal in terms of talent but we shall see if the ROP game is successful for the Colts. One thing that is clear in the NFL is that defenses will adjust  and it appears they have to the RPO. That is my big criticism of the defense that the Colts run. It is severely dated and another issue is that we don't have the talent to run the defense that Ballard and company love so much. You can run the Colts defense for situation but to run as much as they do. Offences are to smart as are qbs and they will eat it up. When Seattle and Tampa ran it exclusively, they had all pros and Pro bowls at numerous positions. We have one, Buckner and he is getting older. No established rush end, no elite FS which is critical, and no established corners.  We are going into the season once again with cross your finger mentality when it comes to the defense. I have thrown it out there numerous times.  Lets for example    give him a pass on the success  and/or lack of success on offence  because of Frank's coaching and the retirement of Luck. I will give Ballard's supporters that so we will not go back and forth on the offence, as he has not drafted that badly on that side of the ball. He has been a staunch supporter of this style of Seattle defense and I don't think anyone can argue that based on the choice of  defensive coaches and the players they continually draft fit this style of defense. How  do we rate him on the construction of this defense over the last 8 years? Not looking for an argument . I would just like to  how someone can support the idea that Ballard has been successful in constructing a  legit defense.   Latua looks like a keeper but he is a rookie and it is way to early call him a keeper. I struggle to identify players at the Dend, FS and corner position that Ballard has drafted that have amounted to much.  Ballard's best D player, Buckner, was acquired through a trade and  he was not a draft pick. Good move on Ballard's part but I would have hoped by now and after 8 years that we could list more players then Buckner, Moore (free agent) and Leonard (2nd round players) as blue  chip D players. I just feel that he has really drafted poorly on the defensive side of the ball. Linebacker seems to be the only position that they are able to successfully at replenish through the draft and it is not a crucial position in this defense and in most defenses in this pass happy era.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twfish said:

I am excited for tonight. My wife and I are going to make a trip to Cincinnati and watch the game. Tickets were super cheap and we are the third row up behind the colts benches 

Make sure you tell them the board thinks they suck :D...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, twfish said:

I am excited for tonight. My wife and I are going to make a trip to Cincinnati and watch the game. Tickets were super cheap and we are the third row up behind the colts benches 

Definitely hit up one of the restaurants outside of Paycor as the food options at the stadium are overpriced and not high quality. Downtown Cincy has tons of really good options in the outdoor mall area between Paycor and Great American. 

On 8/21/2024 at 10:44 PM, ColtStrong2013 said:

yep. 
My AR checklist 

-does he stay healthy/protect himself? 
-does he make the big plays that he’s capable of/hyped up to make?

-does he lead/communicate well? 
-what does he look like late in games and does he flash any consistent signs of having a clutch/closing mentality? 
-does he get better over the season? 

that’s pretty much it. Nothing of him leading us to the playoffs, make pro bowl, put up big numbers. Just does he grow and show the signs that I want to see? Anything in addition to that, and we’ll know we have our guy and are heading in the right direction. 

Beautiful... Nice checklist, that'd be how we fans can cherish the progress of a franchise QB.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BCMak24 said:

For some reason bradley couldn't scheme up a defense to stop the screen plays

If you know Bradley and this defense, I don't think there is a lot of scheming going on. He plays the same coverages most of the game and hopes that his front  puts on enough pressure to cause a turnover. Simply put.  Easy to scheme from a defensive side and easy to scheme against. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

It is funny and I think a lot of people are thinking because of JT and AR we are going to see a lot of crowded boxes. I was reading an article the other day and  I was trying to attach it to this forum but I couldn't for some reason. I will attempt to find it again as it was a great article about the RPO. It was a basically about how teams appear to be figuring out the RPO game and essentially playing for the pass and not biting on the run and last years stats appear to support this.  Of course the article was way more detailed in showing reasons for the decline of the RPO. I must admit that AR and JT are a different animal in terms of talent but we shall see if the ROP game is successful for the Colts. One thing that is clear in the NFL is that defenses will adjust  and it appears they have to the RPO. That is my big criticism of the defense that the Colts run. It is severely dated and another issue is that we don't have the talent to run the defense that Ballard and company love so much. You can run the Colts defense for situation but to run as much as they do. Offences are to smart as are qbs and they will eat it up. When Seattle and Tampa ran it exclusively, they had all pros and Pro bowls at numerous positions. We have one, Buckner and he is getting older. No established rush end, no elite FS which is critical, and no established corners.  We are going into the season once again with cross your finger mentality when it comes to the defense. I have thrown it out there numerous times.  Lets for example    give him a pass on the success  and/or lack of success on offence  because of Frank's coaching and the retirement of Luck. I will give Ballard's supporters that so we will not go back and forth on the offence, as he has not drafted that badly on that side of the ball. He has been a staunch supporter of this style of Seattle defense and I don't think anyone can argue that based on the choice of  defensive coaches and the players they continually draft fit this style of defense. How  do we rate him on the construction of this defense over the last 8 years? Not looking for an argument . I would just like to  how someone can support the idea that Ballard has been successful in constructing a  legit defense.   Latua looks like a keeper but he is a rookie and it is way to early call him a keeper. I struggle to identify players at the Dend, FS and corner position that Ballard has drafted that have amounted to much.  Ballard's best D player, Buckner, was acquired through a trade and  he was not a draft pick. Good move on Ballard's part but I would have hoped by now and after 8 years that we could list more players then Buckner, Moore (free agent) and Leonard (2nd round players) as blue  chip D players. I just feel that he has really drafted poorly on the defensive side of the ball. Linebacker seems to be the only position that they are able to successfully at replenish through the draft and it is not a crucial position in this defense and in most defenses in this pass happy era.

Paragraphs man, please my eyes will thank you haha

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Definitely hit up one of the restaurants outside of Paycor as the food options at the stadium are overpriced and not high quality. Downtown Cincy has tons of really good options in the outdoor mall area between Paycor and Great American. 

I think we decided on the yard house possibly. Getting screwed on someone not transferring the parking pass we bought off of seatgeek so plans are quickly changing lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, twfish said:

I think we decided on the yard house possibly. Getting screwed on someone not transferring the parking pass we bought off of seatgeek so plans are quickly changing lol.

Oh boy good luck! Yard house is a good choice!

7 hours ago, Superman said:

The tackling was also pretty bad, so it wasn't all Bradley.

I see part of the bad tackling on screens as our 2 LB's being a couple of steps too deep. We see Franklin and Speed diving to make those plays with plenty of misses. Perhaps if our interior run D is more reliable we could play a step wider? We certainly should expect that. 

22 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

It was a basically about how teams appear to be figuring out the RPO game and essentially playing for the pass and not biting on the run and last years stats appear to support this.  Of course the article was way more detailed in showing reasons for the decline of the RPO. I must admit that AR and JT are a different animal in terms of talent but we shall see if the ROP game is successful for the Colts.

Did you see how hard the Bengals were committing to the inside handoffs last night? If it were a real game, Richardson would have had several opportunities to keep it and run. RPOs also open up the passing game, and we saw plenty of that last night. To be honest, all the play action stuff last night looked good, no matter who the RB was.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Did you see how hard the Bengals were committing to the inside handoffs last night? If it were a real game, Richardson would have had several opportunities to keep it and run. RPOs also open up the passing game, and we saw plenty of that last night. To be honest, all the play action stuff last night looked good, no matter who the RB was.

Could it be that Steichen could be gun shy about unleashing AR the same way as he started last year? Is that something teams will start doing to see if AR can make them pay with his legs without the fear of getting banged up? It is very possible, IMO, as to the chess matches team Ds will be playing. 

15 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

I see part of the bad tackling on screens as our 2 LB's being a couple of steps too deep. We see Franklin and Speed diving to make those plays with plenty of misses. Perhaps if our interior run D is more reliable we could play a step wider? We certainly should expect that. 

Second defensive possession, when they converted that third and ten, we saw exactly what you're talking about. Screen pass, only one of our back 7 defenders was within 10-15 yards of the line of scrimmage when the ball was thrown. Our defense is simply too conservative, even in favorable situations. 

I wasn't concerned with the tackling last night, but you're right that if a defender has more ground to cover to be in tackling range, it's harder to make a good tackle. And in the game last season, the Bengals had our LBs all over the place with screens and misdirection plays. 

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Could it be that Steichen could be gun shy about unleashing AR the same way as he started last year? Is that something teams will start doing to see if AR can make them pay with his legs without the fear of getting banged up? It is very possible, IMO, as to the chess matches team Ds will be playing. 

I think they restricted Richardson from running last night, for sure. I don't think that will continue to be the case when the games matter. They might be more selective about using designed QB runs, but I think they'll still be part of the offense.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2024 at 9:24 AM, Superman said:

I am not disagreeing. I was just reporting the information and statistics that  suggest teams maybe figuring out the RPO. I also said that Richardson and Taylor are a different breed so you may have to throw those stats out the window.