Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why is Ballard not improving his Secondary?

11 hours ago, PackersNation said:

Blackmon, Cross, Harrison, Thomas, Denbow.

That will be a decent safety room. 

Tell everyone to relax. lol.

To be fair....

Blackmon: Starting SS and has looked great.

Cross: Very athletic, has straight-line speed and can trigger downfield fast, but lacks lateral agility and gets lost sometimes in coverage. I could see him being a really solid SS, but not a starting FS.

Harrison: Has historically played SS, we moved him to WLB and he was decent, but he's in no way a starting FS.

Thomas: I honestly have no clue what happened here. He looked like a future star at FS his rookie season, then fell off a cliff and hasn't looked even serviceable since.

Denbow: An international pathway player that's been with the team for a few years now and hasn't shown nearly enough to warrant meaningful game snaps, let alone a starting position.

I think that's why fans are seeming to panic. We have SS locked down pretty well, but FS is a glaring weakness. It's easily the weakest position on the team that Ballard has elected to bet on player development over adding any new pieces. I'm not someone that panics, but FS is a real concern with who we have at the moment.

Edit: I definitely confused Denbow with Marcel Dabo. Still, Denbow hasn't shown much of anything outside of 1 or 2 splash plays in the past few years.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Cross hasn’t done anything to warrant faith in him. 

Are you at practice everyday?   Please, you just wrote if Ballard doesn’t sign Simmons he should be fired.   Don't you think Ballard listens to Steichen?   If Steichen says our current guys aren’t going to be good enough don’t you think Ballard will try to get him some help?  

Can’t we at least wait a few weeks to see how this plays out before we decide the future of Chris Ballard? 

2 minutes ago, Shive said:

To be fair....

Blackmon: Starting SS and has looked great.

Cross: Very athletic, has straight-line speed and can trigger downfield fast, but lacks lateral agility and gets lost sometimes in coverage. I could see him being a really solid SS, but not a starting FS.

Harrison: Has historically played SS, we moved him to WLB and he was decent, but he's in no way a starting FS.

Thomas: I honestly have no clue what happened here. He looked like a future star at FS his rookie season, then fell off a cliff and hasn't looked even serviceable since.

Denbow: An international pathway player that's been with the team for a few years now and hasn't shown nearly enough to warrant meaningful game snaps, let alone a starting position.

I think that's why fans are seeming to panic. We have SS locked down pretty well, but FS is a glaring weakness. It's easily the weakest position on the team that Ballard has elected to bet on player development over adding any new pieces. I'm not someone that panics, but FS is a real concern with who we have at the moment.

As somewhat of a Colts fan(My fav AFC team) I am more concerned about the depth at RB than I am about the safety position. Honestly, I like the safety room. CBs I am a little less confident in, but I am not overly concerned there either.

If JT goes down for any amount of time, I am very concerned about the RB position.

3 hours ago, Hoose said:

He:

Wants to play for a playoff team.

Wants to start.

Wants to be paid. 

He had a good year last year but found himself in a glutted safety market with a big salary. He’s waited it out patiently, as have the Colts. Simmons is likely much better than the castoffs available on cut day. He and the Colts are a strong match if both sides are willing. Let’s hope so. 

Good post.   Lots of noise here today.  Just wanted to single your post out for being a voice of reason.   :thmup:

14 minutes ago, PackersNation said:

As somewhat of a Colts fan(My fav AFC team) I am more concerned about the depth at RB than I am about the safety position. Honestly, I like the safety room. CBs I am a little less confident in, but I am not overly concerned there either.

If JT goes down for any amount of time, I am very concerned about the RB position.

RB has decent depth. Sermon and Goodson showed that they can be at least serviceable in relief of JT and I'm very optimistic about Hull. He looked really solid before the injury last year and all reports are that he's looking just as good now. AR and our line will make even the most average RB look good.

I think we'll see how good (or not) we are at FS once the joint practices and preseason games start, but unless someone has taken a huge step that they haven't shown in TC yet, I'm skeptical.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Assuming we are not interested in Simmons I can see the Colts trading for Budda Baker.  They check him out during the joint practices and trade for him before the season starts.  Maybe we send them a TE or even Pierce if AD looks like a starter.

I see our friend @richard pallo is back with his greatest hits!   Make-A-Trade!!

And this time is a favorite of yours, Budda Baker!   Not sure why you think Ballard would be willing to trade assets PLUS take on Baker’s existing big contract, which odds are he’d want to renegotiate because he has leverage?!?  

If Chris Ballard has demonstrated anything it’s that he doesn’t value safety enough that he’s going to use premium picks and pay premium money to cover the position.   And he’s especially not going to do it when there are still multiple players available in free agency that can do the job for a fraction of the costs in money and assets. 

I don’t know why you love Baker so much, but you do.  I think you’re going to be very disappointed. 

7 minutes ago, Shive said:

RB has decent depth. Sermon and Goodson showed that they can be at least serviceable in relief of JT and I'm very optimistic about Hull. He looked really solid before the injury last year and all reports are that he's looking just as good now. AR and our line will make even the most average RB look good.

I think we'll see how good (or not) we are at FS once the joint practices and preseason games start, but unless someone has taken a huge step that they haven't shown in TC yet, I'm skeptical.

Goodson was in Green Bay in 2022, spent most of the year on the PS. I would have zero faith in him if he is on the active roster and has to play significant snaps.

Sermon is a somewhat physical runner, but even with JT healthy, I am not overjoyed with Serman as the #2 RB. Hull? Come on now.

I am good with Cross and Harrison at FS.

29 minutes ago, PackersNation said:

Gotta like a football fan whose second favorite team is the Colts.  Welcome!  

You’ve made several interesting comments some I like, some less so.   I think it’s interesting that you believe there will be a flood of safeties better than Simmons available at the cutdown.  (I don’t agree). But you don’t seem to agree that there will also be a number of running backs also available and the Ballard/Steichen combo will find one that they like.  That’s where I think the Colts will find their RB2, at the cutdown.  Unless of course, Steichen likes his in house options better than the fan base.  I’ve always liked Sermon.  

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Not really but he’s a playmaker and a leader so I wouldn’t rule it out.

We just drafted a guy who is a pure FS but they chose to move him to corner bc they thought he wasn't big enough. That and of course he actually had real experience at CB. With Ballard I just doubt it due to Baker size even if he is a playmaker.

17 minutes ago, PackersNation said:

Goodson was in Green Bay in 2022, spent most of the year on the PS. I would have zero faith in him if he is on the active roster and has to play significant snaps.

Sermon is a somewhat physical runner, but even with JT healthy, I am not overjoyed with Serman as the #2 RB.

I don't love Goodson or Sermon and would have liked to have bolstered the position in the offseason, but both ran efficiently when called upon last season. Goodson ran for 69 yds on 11 rushes (6.27 Y/A) which is really solid for a guy that got elevated from the PS. Sermon wasn't as efficient of a runner, but still averaged 4.25 Y/A over the season, which isn't terrible. Again, I don't love them as our depth, but our OL makes even the most average RBs look good. Zack Moss was buried on the Bills depth chart and a lot of fans here wrote him off when we traded for him, but see what he did when JT was out behind our OL with AR?

Hull? Come on now.

He looked really good at TC and in the preseason. Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing him as the 3rd down compliment to JT.  

I am good with Cross and Harrison at FS.

Vine Ok GIF

A vast majority of Colts fans disagree. 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You’ve made several interesting comments some I like, some less so.   I think it’s interesting that you believe there will be a flood of safeties better than Simmons available at the cutdown.  (I don’t agree). But you don’t seem to agree that there will also be a number of running backs also available and the Ballard/Steichen combo will find one that they like.  That’s where I think the Colts will find their RB2, at the cutdown.  Unless of course, Steichen likes his in house options better than the fan base.  I’ve always liked Sermon.  

When did I say there will be no quality RBs available after cutdowns to 53? It's urgent they pick up a decent RB to back up JT in my opinion. Sorry, but Sermon, Goodson, and Hull are the worst RB depth in the NFL.

Myself and the Colts defensive staff like the safety room more than most of the fan base. Not a huge shocker.😏

10 minutes ago, PackersNation said:

When did I say there will be no quality RBs available after cutdowns to 53? It's urgent they pick up a decent RB to back up JT in my opinion. Sorry, but Sermon, Goodson, and Hull are the worst RB depth in the NFL.

Myself and the Colts defensive staff like the safety room more than most of the fan base. Not a huge shocker.😏

As long as Richardson is healthy and playing well, the Colts could lose Taylor and be mediocre at running back and still be very effective on offensive because of all the strong pieces they have on that side of the ball, plus the coaching of Steichen and Cooter. I don't think they can afford to be mediocre at FS or either cornerback spot because outside of Kenny Moore and Blackmon, their back seven on defense has several question marks in defending the passing game. 

35 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Just saw this posted by Benjamin Albright on Twitter regarding Simmons.

Watch him sign with the Titans. LMAO. I'm just kidding. Would love to get him. Albright has credibility as a reporter, so we'll see. Hope for the best here.

27 minutes ago, PackersNation said:

You didn’t say it, but you didn’t point to the cutdown day as a solution for the RB issue as you did for the safety position.  I simply pointed that out.  The cutdown date is why I’m not worried about the RB position. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

He probably meant the same too

No, I meant the Titans sarcastically because they traded for Sneed, and signed Diggs and Adams already in the secondary. The Texans are probably the real competition for us in the AFC South and I agree with Chloe.

6 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

No, I meant the Titans sarcastically because they traded for Sneed, and signed Diggs and Adams already in the secondary. The Texans are probably the real competition for us in the AFC South and I agree with Chloe.

I should have clarified, I meant Benjamin thought the same, that is Texans as they go after everybody. So I agree. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Agreed. If there's a position where we're likely to be able to pick up a good player at cutdown, it's RB. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I see our friend @richard pallo is back with his greatest hits!   Make-A-Trade!!

And this time is a favorite of yours, Budda Baker!   Not sure why you think Ballard would be willing to trade assets PLUS take on Baker’s existing big contract, which odds are he’d want to renegotiate because he has leverage?!?  

If Chris Ballard has demonstrated anything it’s that he doesn’t value safety enough that he’s going to use premium picks and pay premium money to cover the position.   And he’s especially not going to do it when there are still multiple players available in free agency that can do the job for a fraction of the costs in money and assets. 

I don’t know why you love Baker so much, but you do.  I think you’re going to be very disappointed. 

Not really.  I just like to have some fun.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Same crybaby's that cried when the Titans signed Julio Jones and Ballard didn't.....that move led the Titans to a grand total of 0 Super Bowls. ( Same number as the Colts)

Here's some more crying for you. Over the last seven years, the Titans have won two division titles, been to the playoffs four times, won three playoff games, and are 63-52 overall. That's not a phenomenal record, but I'd take it compared to the Colts' record during that time - zero division titles, been to the playoffs twice, won one playoff game, and 54-60 overall.  I believe that Colts fans have reason to be hopeful, but also to hold some skepticism. 

• Like 1

Although things seem less than stellar at FS at the moment, I think a really good test will be joint practices/pre-season.  At this point in time, if we roll with who we got, I will be concerned.  Hopefully something either clicks these next few weeks, or we find a good FS on the market.

• Like 4

Here’s my thoughts on the secondary.

Blackmon is clearly extremely motived after not getting the contract he wanted this off-season.  If he stays healthy, the major question with him, I think he will have a monster season.  I think his strength is at SS so I hope he stays there and the Colts don’t have to move him to FS.  

I think Flowers, Brents and Jones can be NFL level starters at corner.  Add in Moore at nickel and I don’t hate the corner spot and I think Ballard’s youth movement could work there.  The question about Flowers and Brents will be can they stay healthy.  

That leaves the major hole at FS.  I just don’t think there is a starting FS on the roster.  Cross is clearly not living up to the player the Colts thought he would be when was drafted.  Thomas I think as a 7th round draft pick from a non major school benefited his rookie year from other teams not having much tape on him and just not knowing much about him.  As teams figured him out his performance fell off.  

Hopefully the Colts do something at FS because I think they are going to have to.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, PackersNation said:

What do you even know about Hull? We just drafted him last year. How could you have seen enough to make a statement like "Come on now"? Hull is talented. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, krunk said:

What do you even know about Hull? We just drafted him last year. How could you have seen enough to make a statement like "Come on now"? Hull is talented. 

What do you know about Hull? I follow the B1G(On Wisconsin!) closely and saw a lot of Hull at Northwestern. Very average back in college, was rightly projected to be a 6th round draft choice, the Colts took him in the 5th. A multi-ligament knee injury that required an extensive surgery ended his rookie season. Perhaps he will develop into an amazing NFL RB, I don't see that. Wish him the best.

If it upsets you that I stated the Colts have the worst RB depth in the NFL, then I beg-pardon for my brutal honesty. 

If JT goes down, I would like the Colts to have a better backup plan than Sermon, Goodson, and Hull, my apology. I will try to remember that it has been agreed upon that only the safety room sucks and every other room is elite.

19 minutes ago, PackersNation said:

What do you know about Hull? I follow the B1G(On Wisconsin!) closely and saw a lot of Hull at Northwestern. Very average back in college, was rightly projected to be a 6th round draft choice, the Colts took him in the 5th. A multi-ligament knee injury that required an extensive surgery ended his rookie season. Perhaps he will develop into an amazing NFL RB, I don't see that. Wish him the best.

If it upsets you that I stated the Colts have the worst RB depth in the NFL, then I beg-pardon for my brutal honesty. 

If JT goes down, I would like the Colts to have a better backup plan than Sermon, Goodson, and Hull, my apology. I will try to remember that it has been agreed upon that only the safety room sucks and every other room is elite.

I don’t think he needs to turn into an amazing back to give the production they are looking for. But I do understand the concern, because I agree in a lot of ways. I think they are likely looking at Sermon’s production at times last year and wanting to develop it a little more before tossing him to the side for someone else. They obviously liked something in Hull, remember he was a Steichen influenced pick. I just don’t expect much to be done at runningback, but I understand the concern. If JT goes down, you want to be able to continue running the ball well and take pressure off AR. 

26 minutes ago, PackersNation said:

My question was very simple. Stop with the victim Olympics. The statement on Hull is what I asked you about, not the complete running back room. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Here’s my thoughts on the secondary.

Blackmon is clearly extremely motived after not getting the contract he wanted this off-season.  If he stays healthy, the major question with him, I think he will have a monster season.  I think his strength is at SS so I hope he stays there and the Colts don’t have to move him to FS.  

I think Flowers, Brents and Jones can be NFL level starters at corner.  Add in Moore at nickel and I don’t hate the corner spot and I think Ballard’s youth movement could work there.  The question about Flowers and Brents will be can they stay healthy.  

That leaves the major hole at FS.  I just don’t think there is a starting FS on the roster.  Cross is clearly not living up to the player the Colts thought he would be when was drafted.  Thomas I think as a 7th round draft pick from a non major school benefited his rookie year from other teams not having much tape on him and just not knowing much about him.  As teams figured him out his performance fell off.  

Hopefully the Colts do something at FS because I think they are going to have to.

I am in 100% agreement

I think our corners will round out

Its on this thread, but I also think we are fine at RB, OL, TE, DL, LB, QB, WR, CB, SS, 

Will our current FS make, it?  I hope

Ballard at least says the FSs are doing well, but honestly he gives a thumbs up to every player on the team

A bit of coach speak

And....... why move a good player from SS to FS, if you think the SS is doing well in his position?

Its SUCH an important role in a passing league and with young CBs that veteran is so very important

We have the cap space and we have the need......  I hope they do step here

• Like 2

11 hours ago, krunk said:

Hull is liked for a roll Steichen wants filled. And he wouldn't be the same player he was in college but an improved one as a Professional. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, PackersNation said:

Thats pretty harsh

Sermon is a big back that will do fine. Think about all the backs at Ohio State  Sermon gained 331 yards in a single game.  He averaged over 7 yards a carry his last year

Is he Eric Dickerson? Nope Can he be a suitable back up?  I think so

9 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Thats pretty harsh

Sermon is a big back that will do fine. Think about all the backs at Ohio State  Sermon gained 331 yards in a single game.  He averaged over 7 yards a carry his last year

Is he Eric Dickerson? Nope Can he be a suitable back up?  I think so

If you want to start another thread, I will go in depth on why I have true concerns about the RB depth. I don't want to wander too far away from the original topic of the thread.

Yes, I feel there will be SEVERAL backs available on August 27th that are superior to what the Colts have for depth now. 

11 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I am in 100% agreement

I think our corners will round out

Its on this thread, but I also think we are fine at RB, OL, TE, DL, LB, QB, WR, CB, SS, 

Will our current FS make, it?  I hope

Ballard at least says the FSs are doing well, but honestly he gives a thumbs up to every player on the team

A bit of coach speak

And....... why move a good player from SS to FS, if you think the SS is doing well in his position?

Its SUCH an important role in a passing league and with young CBs that veteran is so very important

We have the cap space and we have the need......  I hope they do step here

Such a silly question.

Cross is more physically suited for the roll.

And training camp is where they try to figure out the best two combo for the roll. 

Ideally, you want your safeties to be interchangeable so that you can mix coverages. Last year we played two high safeties about 70% of the time so folks here are freaked about the other 30 %.  I am too, as our corners scare me. 

Pray our pass rush is superb.

3 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Such a silly question.

Cross is more physically suited for the roll.

And training camp is where they try to figure out the best two combo for the roll. 

Ideally, you want your safeties to be interchangeable so that you can mix coverages. Last year we played two high safeties about 70% of the time so folks here are freaked about the other 30 %.  I am too, as our corners scare me. 

Pray our pass rush is superb.

I think our corners make dramatic improvements this season, but that it's offset with better qb play. So I expect rough patches at times, and maybe even what appears to be much of the same in terms of production, although they will have clearly improved. I don't think that's all that bad if that does happen, as I think our offense can make up the difference where it mattered most last season. Pass rush will be very important, both in terms of wins and losses, and in the continued development of the secondary. I think losing Ebukam hurts early on, and obviously the depth over a long season, but if we remain relatively healthy otherwise, I think there is serious opportunity for Latu, Lewis, Dayo, etc. to play a bigger role in the pass rush. I'm excited for the defensive line play this season. 

2 hours ago, PackersNation said:

The RB spot is plug-n-play. It’s fairly easy to fill if JT goes down. That said, Hull showed promis in camp last season and Sermon and Goodson did okay when JT was out. 

3 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

The RB spot is plug-n-play. It’s fairly easy to fill if JT goes down. That said, showed promie in camp last season and Sermon and Goodson did okay when JT was out. 

with the RB room we have now, if JT goes down, we are in trouble. Unless AR pulls a Lamar over and over.