Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts OTAs Thread May 21st-23rd; May 29th-31st; Mandatory Mini Camp June 4th-6th **Updated Title

Some might be wondering about Richardson’s throws being slightly off, and it’s a combination of things. But one thing I’m noticing so far? He’s really focusing on his footwork this week. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Some might be wondering about Richardson’s throws being slightly off, and it’s a combination of things. But one thing I’m noticing so far? He’s really focusing on his footwork this week. 

His feet are so quick... 

I still see some things in his throwing mechanics that I don't love. He's up on his toes too much, he falls off to the side instead of following through to the target, etc. I think these things will cause some inconsistency in his accuracy. But he's so physically gifted that he can keep refining these as he goes along. I just hope he continues to get better at the small stuff, and it will all add up over time.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, krunk said:

Good job D. Scott! Nice to hear your name early. I been tooting your horn.

He has a chance to start,think Thomas' ship has sailed so Daniel vs Cross likely for that starting spot.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

His feet are so quick... 

I still see some things in his throwing mechanics that I don't love. He's up on his toes too much, he falls off to the side instead of following through to the target, etc. I think these things will cause some inconsistency in his accuracy. But he's so physically gifted that he can keep refining these as he goes along. I just hope he continues to get better at the small stuff, and it will all add up over time.

Yes, I noticed that too that he's slightly hopping up while throwing. I'm sure if we see that the coaches see it. 

• Like 1

On 5/20/2024 at 12:15 PM, Yoshinator said:

The offense is probably going to dominate to an extent as the defense will be limited in what they can do, so I expect Richardson to get some nice throws in. I want to see how good his short and medium accuracy throws are. I'd like to see him gain some chemistry with AD Mitchell and throw the ball deep to Pierce. Also want to see Woods get involved.

Right now, I don't expect much from the O-Line and D-Line. There won't be much physicality, but maybe a bit of pressure. I do want to see how JuJu, Flowers, Abraham, Jones, and Simpson will do defending our WRs. Also, Cross, Scott, and Thomas from the Safeties. 

I agree with 1st paragraph 

Respectfully I DONT agree with your assessment of the OL.   If our RT can stay healthy the whole year our OL should be a bit better above a decent year

I personally think our DL will also be a BIT better with depth behind Grover that we didn’t have as well as our shiny new DE

21 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Respectfully I DONT agree with your assessment of the OL.   If our RT can stay healthy the whole year our OL should be a bit better above a decent year

I personally think our DL will also be a BIT better with depth behind Grover that we didn’t have as well as our shiny new DE

I meant in OTA's, not the regular season. I absolutely agree our O-Line and D-Line will do well in the regular season.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, richard pallo said:

My first job was a stock boy at Woolworth's.  Great memories and fun times.  Loved the food counter.

we would go on a Saturday get lunch 

Dessert was a banana split. you would then pick a ballon and pay the price that was on the paper inside the balloon It had a range up to 99 cents 

with a quarter I would play a racing car arcade game 

oh back in the day 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Am I reading you right?   You're not all that impressed by our OL?!?  

You wrote:  if our RT can stay healthy the whole year our OL should be a bit better above decent?!?    Really?   That’s it?  That’s all?   A bit better above decent?   Or am I completely misunderstanding you?  

Raimann.  Nelson.  Kelly.  Fries.  Smith?   

You don’t think that’s a top-10 line?   A plus for the Colts offense?    

I respect you Mike, so I’m assuming I’ve misunderstood your meaning.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You wrote:  if our RT can stay healthy the whole year our OL should be a bit better above decent?!?    Really?   That’s it?  That’s all?   A bit better above decent?   Or am I completely misunderstanding you?  

He thought I meant that, when I said I meant that just for OTA's and not the regular season.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t think you read what I was replying to

I think our OL was REALLY good last year and would get a bit better if we had a full year out of our RT

I think our DL was middling at best last year but would be a bit better with DL depth and our new DE

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I think our OL was REALLY good last year and would get a bit better if we had a full year out of our RT

I think our DL was middling at best last year but would be a bit better with DL depth and our new DE

Worth mentioning, our D line had a drastically different look with Grover in it as opposed to when he was out. It’s easy to overlook the absence, but it definitely impacted the stats and how the line looked both in person and on paper. The additional depth behind him will make a big difference as well. 

With the addition of Latu, as well as continued growth from Kwity and Dayo, I wouldn’t be surprised in the least to see our D line ascend into the upper echelon this season. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Thanks for the response….  I completely agree with your OL viewpoint.  

But I regret that I don’t agree with any part of your DL view.  Sorry, wish it wasn’t so. 

Appreciate you responding. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Said to be 6’1” and 235.    Good size but not exactly huge.   

I was referring to the images on the colts website 

• Thanks 1

I'm excited about our future. I think Ballard put together 2 very nice drafts in a row. Never thought we would get Latu, thought we had a better chance at Bowers. Still holding out hope for Cross, he flashes greatness than dissappears, hope he's consistent. Hope Woods takes lead in TE room. I keep writing off Granson, but he keeps impressing. Even if Richardson has a mediocre season I think the team around him could get us to 10-7. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matabix said:

I'm excited about our future. I think Ballard put together 2 very nice drafts in a row. Never thought we would get Latu, thought we had a better chance at Bowers. Still holding out hope for Cross, he flashes greatness than dissappears, hope he's consistent. Hope Woods takes lead in TE room. I keep writing off Granson, but he keeps impressing. Even if Richardson has a mediocre season I think the team around him could get us to 10-7. 

Agree with you on the draft takes.

For AR's season, I think mediocrity is what we should hope for( compared to other QBs). We should not forget,that this is basically his rookie season and he's still only 22. So if that would get us to 10-7.....HOORAY !

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

In one of the interviews I listened to with Scott and a Tenn Titans reporter a few months back he was asked what's one of the things that separates you? He said probably what is between my ears. High football IQ, understanding of the game and instincts.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, krunk said:

In one of the interviews I listened to with Scott and a Tenn Titans reporter a few months back he was asked what's one of the things that separates you? He said probably what is between my ears. High football IQ, understanding of the game and instincts.

I’d still feel a lot better if they picked up a veteran FS.  I hope Scott or Cross are the future, but we haven’t seen much from either of them to really know.  

Bring in a vet and let one of them beat him out.  Competition is always the best way for the cream to rise to the top.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I’d still feel a lot better if they picked up a veteran FS.  I hope Scott or Cross are the future, but we haven’t seen much from either of them to really know.  

Bring in a vet and let one of them beat him out.  Competition is always the best way for the cream to rise to the top.  

I really do like this strategy.  My only concern is both Diggs and Simmons are in their 30’s.  If we really wanted to nail the position down I would prefer trading for Baker and extending him.  Cross and Scott behind Blackmon and Baker would be a nice backup pair of young talent pushing the veterans. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I really do like this strategy.  My only concern is both Diggs and Simmons are in their 30’s.  If we really wanted to nail the position down I would prefer trading for Baker and extending him.  Cross and Scott behind Blackmon and Baker would be a nice backup pair of young talent pushing the veterans. 

You’ve learned nothing about Ballard. 

You'd rather trade picks to acquire a safety who will want to become one of the highest paid safeties in football.  

1.   Ballard is not trading high picks for a safety, ANY safety.  

2.   He’s not going to make Baker, or ANY safety one of the highest paid at his position.  

As for Simmons and Diggs….   I think one is 30 and the other is 31.   Their PFF grades show they’re still playing at a good level.  Ballard wasn’t afraid to sign Rodney McCloud and he was much older.  If Ballard doesn’t sign Simmons or Diggs it won’t have anything to do with their age 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

As for Simmons and Diggs….   I think one is 30 and the other is 31.   Their PFF grades show they’re still playing at a good level.  Ballard wasn’t afraid to sign Rodney McCloud and he was much older.  If Ballard doesn’t sign Simmons or Diggs it won’t have anything to do with their age 

Correct. It will have more to do with him putting faith in the current group and allowing them playing time. 

It could backfire, for sure. But, I will say some of the best managers in the business put trust in their players to succeed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I don't fear having a young guy back there as long as he can play and he is on par athletically and intelligent. The system is made to play young guys early. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You'd rather trade picks to acquire a safety who will want to become one of the highest paid safeties in football.  

2.   He’s not going to make Baker, or ANY safety one of the highest paid at his position.  

Dave your breath. You're talking to Charlie Brown.

Charlie Brown Football GIF

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I would have no problem trading a third rd pick for an all pro safety in his prime and extending his contract.  We have the cap space and we have our quarterback on a rookie deal.  The timing is perfect.  He’s the missing piece that would make our defense top tier imo.  Ironically the consensus compensation that I have read is a 4th rd pick from a number of articles and podcasts.  So I don’t know what makes you think it’s going to cost a high pick.  It appears fans seem to way over value the compensation needed to acquire a player.  Right now they want to see if Cross or Scott or someone else is ready.  That makes sense.  I do think that’s a position that is fluid right now.  Hopefully one of the younger guys can do the job.  FS is the last line of defense.  So a good one can be a difference maker.  Time will tell it appears on  this decision.  It’s nice that he restructured Buckner just in case.

• Like 1