Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have the 15th pick in the draft. (MERGE)

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

I loved most of McConkey's film I watched... until I put the Alabama tape on. Both Arnold and McKinstry kinda of... manhandled him. I guess this is the biggest worry with him - his physicality and surviving first contact on press-coverage.

Here's a hot take... I think I like Ricky Pearsall better than McConkey and I still do like McConkey too... 

Mcconkey was injured in the Alabama game but he gutted it and gave everything he had for his team.

He played injured. 

Bowers was injured too but Bowers gave it his all for his team.

Heart, grit and determination will never be never be measured by RAS or GAS scores

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I didn't watch it, because one game is mostly irrelevant to me. It's the body of work.

I like McConkey though and as Superman said, the list I posted wasn't comprehensive, because the other WR scores haven't been published.

Come on watch the video. It's only a minute long.

Don't you have alot of time to kill this off season ? Lol !

20 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I like McConkey though and as Superman said, the list I posted wasn't comprehensive, because the other WR scores haven't been published.

I assumed it wasn't comprehensive. There could be a reason they left off McConkey, but who knows... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PRnum1 said:

Really ? Let's take a look at McConkey going against one of the best defenses in college football Florida State

https://www.espn.co.uk/video/clip?id=39211513

I like the GAS rating a lot, but I'll agree that it doesn't match what my eyes see with McConkey, or what his separation numbers showed.

If I had to guess, I think Ladd tends to get open with his route running and subtle body movement. He puts guys in skates, even when he isn't explosive in a route. I believe I read a few weeks ago that when compared to the college numbers of all current starting NFL WRs, Ladd's separation numbers are in the 98th percentile. That's not among current college players. That's against the numbers of starting NFL WRs when they were in college. Ladd is clearly elite at separation, but it seems GAS doesn't translate to his game. In general, I'd prefer a player with a high GAS score, but Ladd is an exception, 100%.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I like what I see as well. But what do you think about the fact that he's a 5th year senior, with virtually zero production prior to this season? He's 3 years older than most of his competition. 

Commentary I've seen from South Carolina fans stated he was behind some talented WR they had there before he really got his chance. And some other things about bad QB play.I think you would like to see multiple years of production but things don't always happen that way. I've seen enough between the past season on into the Senior Bowl to be comfortable for me. Age is something to consider. Good point 

26 minutes ago, krunk said:

Commentary I've seen from South Carolina fans stated he was behind some talented WR they had there before he really got his chance. And some other things about bad QB play.I think you would like to see multiple years of production but things don't always happen that way. I've seen enough between the past season on into the Senior Bowl to be comfortable for me. Age is something to consider. Good point 

Credit to stitches, he brought it to my attention. I've been trying to make sense of it for a couple days now. 

• Like 2

Both Texas WR's Mitchell and  Xavier heavily scouted by the Colts appear to have both positioned themselves as a 1st round selections after their Pro Day performances.  Both are projected to be selected in the early 20's, Another reason to think Ballard may choose to trade back a few slots to acquire additional picks. 

Veteran additions to the secondary would be a much needed move(s); in the event the young secondary falters or for injury insurance. Seems like the team is very much exposed at the Safety position. The Colts really need a competent coverage linebacker as well. The next couple of FA signings could well signal the direction of the upcoming draft.

Tyler Nubin is currently the highest rated Safety in the draft and is expected to be a 2nd round selection. Nubin is rated as high as #25 in the draft overall. Nubin's unofficial RAS score however is 2.91 He is followed by Javon Bullard #48 and Jaden Hicks #61. Bullard has positional versatile in the secondary and runs 4.47, but is 5'10' 198 lbs.

Here it should be noted that CB Terrion Arnold arrived at Alabama as a 5 star Safety recruit.

Behind LB/Edge  Dallas Turner : Payton Wilson and Jeremiah Trottier Jr. maintain both high pass coverage and overall grades. Wilson is a riser and expected to be a late 1st to 2nd round  selection. He is the fastest of the Linebackers at 4.43 and ran a 10 yard split of 1.54. Productivity is there  with 138 tackles this past season at 6'4" 230.  RAS Score  is 9.81.  He is also older with an injury history. Trottier does well in pass coverage, but lacks high tackling grades.

Unless Ballard chooses to go with one of the higher ranked CB's  or go strictly BPA, it would seem that WR would be very much on the table as the first selection - especially in a trade back scenario.

• Like 1

I can't lie. Rome Odunze is nice.

I like his competitive fire and his game is 

pretty polished. Love the size and his speed

is good. Very reliable and I don't have a hard time seeing Ballard pick him. Seems like he would go good with Pittman and Downs. It's not hard to be confident about him being a really good player in the NFL.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, krunk said:

I can't lie. Rome Odunze is nice.

I like his competitive fire and his game is 

pretty polished. Love the size and his speed

is good. Very reliable and I don't have a hard time seeing Ballard pick him. Seems like he would go good with Pittman and Downs. It's not hard to be confident about him being a really good player in the NFL.

Yeah….  Except Odunze is projected to go around 6-10.   Ballard is not trading up when there are other top WR’s in this draft class.    I’d love Odunze, but I’ve never seen him mocked below 10 and typically higher.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah….  Except Odunze is projected to go around 6-10.   Ballard is not trading up when there are other top WR’s in this draft class.    I’d love Odunze, but I’ve never seen him mocked below 10 and typically higher.   

A projection is a projection. The board doesn't always fall like that bc the teams see players differently than the people making the projections. I don't think it's a hard thing for a guy like that to go at 15 at WR. I agree about Ballard not trading up. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, krunk said:

A projection is a projection. The board doesn't always fall like that bc the teams see players differently than the people making the projections. I don't think it's a hard thing for a guy like that to go at 15 at WR. I agree about Ballard not trading up. 

Coukd Adonze skip below 10?   Absolutely, 100 percent.  He could.   

But, it’s hard for me to see him slipping all the way to 15.   That’s a hard one.   But I sure hope it happens.  

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Coukd Adonze skip below 10?   Absolutely, 100 percent.  He could.   

But, it’s hard for me to see him slipping all the way to 15.   That’s a hard one.   But I sure hope it happens.  

You are likely right but I don't think 15 is miles away. And there's a bunch of very good WR in this draft so teams may adjust their strategy bc of it I think.

• Like 1

For the 2nd yr in a row i was the colts draft rep on a lions message board.

hope you guys like my picks. Feedback wanted

the colts haul was

1.15 dallas turner edge

2.46 tj tampa cb

3.82 cole bishop s

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Can you post the link of the site? Is that mlive?

Are you interested in participating in Gavin's Mock Draft this year? Lions has been already taken though, after lying in wait for you for a while. 

Yes i want the lions again. I will post link but i thought i got in trouble for doing that last year? Well here is the results link

https://thedenforum.com/t/24den-mock-draft-rounds-2-3/33386

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Can you post the link of the site? Is that mlive?

Are you interested in participating in Gavin's Mock Draft this year? Lions has been already taken though, after lying in wait for you for a while. 

Mlive sucks. The den is much better and also has sub forums for each team in league so they do have dedicated colts spot over there too

16 minutes ago, Mike06181 said:

Mlive sucks. The den is much better and also has sub forums for each team in league so they do have dedicated colts spot over there too

I forgot it was theden... Now I remember it was there last year too. Thanks for sharing, I think guys here love to take Brock Bowers if he's available. Guys think TJ Tampa will be a Ballard type of guy, and some liked Cole Bishop too. 

10 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I forgot it was theden... Now I remember it was there last year too. Thanks for sharing, I think guys here love to take Brock Bowers if he's available. Guys think TJ Tampa will be a Ballard type of guy, and some liked Cole Bishop too. 

Isnt that big te coming back from injury? I cant see the colts spending a 1st on a tight end with how many picks they have thrown at the position in the past few drafts. 

Only Dallas Turner, IMO, is a quick ROI for our DL as a pass rusher based on where he’s right now, projecting to go against NFL OL. Otherwise, go with Bowers or the best CB/WR if we stand pat at No.15. Pass rushers take time typically for ROI, and Turner is a blue chipper who we should be glad to have if he drops to 15, which is unlikely, IMO. We just had a SB champ restricting everyone to 24 points or less in the playoffs. Defense always has its mark.

Given how the waters get muddied as you get to the middle of the draft, and given Ballard’s history, trading down might be an inevitable outcome.

Here's a good mock where they talk out their picks and trades. It's hour and 20 mins, but if you have the time I think it's good fun.

The Colts end up with Brock Bowers at 15.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike06181 said:

Isnt that big te coming back from injury? I cant see the colts spending a 1st on a tight end with how many picks they have thrown at the position in the past few drafts. 

People love Bowers here, with the idea of giving AR explosive weapon. They've drafted a lot of TEs, which I don't understand the spending of numerous draft picks when there are needs at other position but if an elite TE is available, fans live to get him. Don't you think he's regarded as elite prospect? How do the Den view him? 

11 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

People love Bowers here, with the idea of giving AR explosive weapon. They've drafted a lot of TEs, which I don't understand the spending of numerous draft picks when there are needs at other position but if an elite TE is available, fans live to get him. Don't you think he's regarded as elite prospect? How do the Den view him? 

Hes solid but i would not give up on woods yet. Lions proved last year you can get te in rd 2 or later. 1st rd te can be risky.

Most tight ends do little in year 1. Its rare to get productive year 1 out of them. Woods had a very good rookie year considering and he got injured year 2. Lets see if hes the stud i think he is before replacing him. Plus the colts defense needs pass rush badly. One of those edge at 15 makes too much sense.

5 hours ago, krunk said:

You are likely right but I don't think 15 is miles away. And there's a bunch of very good WR in this draft so teams may adjust their strategy bc of it I think.

In 2020 I had Henry Ruggs as my 6th receiver on my personal draft board, and the Raiders made him the 1st WR taken, so you never know. This class is deep, so maybe teams will value other positions higher, but I'd say I'm 99% certain than Marv, Malik, and Rome are all gone by pick #10.

41 minutes ago, stitches said:

New kick return rules... might increase the value of kick returners a bit:

I don't watch XFL, besides a few random times when I've seen a couple minutes of it. I had this backward. I didn't realize the blocking and coverage units were already downfield, within 20 yards of where the return starts. I thought they were still lined up close to where the kicker is. This is going to be interesting.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, stitches said:

New kick return rules... might increase the value of kick returners a bit:

Actually, I think it will increase the value of lighter OL who can block in space because it becomes like a running back play with the running back having a good head start. They could even leave guys unblocked with guys pulling across and go heavy blockers for a few critical ones that need to level one guy and move to the next level with the returner getting a cutback lane and seam to go through.

We should get good value out of retaining Mo Allie Cox, put him as a blocker on special teams.

• Like 1

Latest ESPN mock has 5 QB's going before pick #15.  They added Bo Nix to Denver at #12. If that came true it would be nothing but good news for the Colts.  It also could enhance trade back scenarios for the Colts if another team feels they need to move up to take a shot at someone like Penix Jr.  The ESPN Mock has Penix being selected by the Rams at #19. Has the Colts taking CB Arnold at #15.

April 25th is fast approaching.

28 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Latest ESPN mock has 5 QB's going before pick #15.  They added Bo Nix to Denver at #12. If that came true it would be nothing but good news for the Colts.  It also could enhance trade back scenarios for the Colts if another team feels they need to move up to take a shot at someone like Penix Jr.  The ESPN Mock has Penix being selected by the Rams at #19. Has the Colts taking CB Arnold at #15.

April 25th is fast approaching.

Love Arnold at 15.  Fingers crossed. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, chad72 said:

We should get good value out of retaining Mo Allie Cox, put him as a blocker on special teams

oh lord- not the conversation turning to keeping Mo or getting that cap space savings… 

You could be right regarding him though. The conversation kept revolving around blocking tight ends value in the league, and they certainly would know whether this rule was likely or not internally. 

7 hours ago, krunk said:

My hunch is if Odunze dropped below 10, that teams above AND below the Colts would try to trade up to get Odunze.  They wouldn’t wait and hope, they’d trade up to secure him.   

I think the Colts either stay at 15, or trade down a bit.  

On 3/25/2024 at 12:37 PM, Solid84 said:

From PFF.com

• Malik Nabers, LSU — 99th percentile
  • Adonai Mitchell, Texas — 99th 
  • Xavier Worthy, Texas —99th 
  • Xavier Legette, South Carolina — 99th 
  • Rome Odunze, Washington — 98th
  • Marvin Harrison Jr., Ohio State — 96th 
  • Emeka Egbuka, Ohio State — 93rd 
  • Keon Coleman, Florida State — 93rd 
  • Troy Franklin, Oregon — 92nd 
  • Johnny Wilson, Florida State — 91st 
  • Malachi Corley, Western Kentucky — 81st 

I guess the Colts had some folks at Malachi Corley's pro day yesterday - including Jim Bob.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

It’s a deep class for sure.  They might wait to 46 or move up from 46.

It is not a great off the ball linebacker class or a great safety class, the draft, according to Daniel Jeremiah. I am all for looking at bigger CBs and making them play safety. Unfortunately for us, we need help at safety badly and it won't end well for Ballard and Bradley, if Blackmon or a good FA is not signed.

https://nesn.com/2024/02/nfl-draft-guru-highlights-strengths-weaknesses-of-2024-draft-class/

WR, offensive tackles, CBs, excellent draft for them. Unfortunately, we don't need OTs right now (got Freeland for swing tackle), so I am all for double dipping with WR position. LB pickings might get really slim after Day 2 for quality, so might as well get one then.

It depends on what they have gotten from their first pick. If their first pick is a blue chipper CB that dropped that they got by trading back, obviously using the draft equity they got, they should be able to double dip with different WR kinds on the board (OR) move up with the draft equity they gained if they see a run on WRs happening.

24 minutes ago, chad72 said:

It is not a great off the ball linebacker class or a great safety class, the draft, according to Daniel Jeremiah. I am all for looking at bigger CBs and making them play safety. Unfortunately for us, we need help at safety badly and it won't end well for Ballard and Bradley, if Blackmon or a good FA is not signed.

https://nesn.com/2024/02/nfl-draft-guru-highlights-strengths-weaknesses-of-2024-draft-class/

WR, offensive tackles, CBs, excellent draft for them. Unfortunately, we don't need OTs right now (got Freeland for swing tackle), so I am all for double dipping with WR position. LB pickings might get really slim after Day 2 for quality, so might as well get one then.

It depends on what they have gotten from their first pick. If their first pick is a blue chipper CB that dropped that they got by trading back, obviously using the draft equity they got, they should be able to double dip with different WR kinds on the board (OR) move up with the draft equity they gained if they see a run on WRs happening.

I was referencing the WR class.  I quoted a comment about a WR who the Colts apparently like because they sent three representatives to his pro day which included Cooter.

The Colts like some of their young cornerbacks and safeties, and believe JuJu Brents, Jaylon Jones, Dallis Flowers, Nick Cross and Daniel Scott all have upside as they enter Year 2 or Year 3 in the NFL. Ballard specifically discussed those cornerbacks on Tuesday.

"No question we got work to do in the secondary still," Ballard said. "But I like our three young corners. JuJu's gotta be healthy, we gotta get Dallis back healthy, we think we will. We think JuJu will be back healthy. We think both of them are very good. I think we underestimate what Jones did. I thought Jones played really good football last year and did it against some very talented wideouts and never once backed down. He's going to continue to get better. We think these guys are going to continue to get better."

https://www.colts.com/news/chris-ballard-free-agency-spending-cornerbacks-anthony-richardson-2024