Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have the 15th pick in the draft. (MERGE)

29 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Agreed. I’m starting to warmup to the idea of trading down in the first. Maybe even as far as 29 with lions. That should net us an extra 2nd. If we can’t get Q Mitchell, Bowers, Nabers, etc. The value says trade back. I hate it but in the end we honestly just have too many holes. Maybe one day we’ll be able to afford the luxury of trading up for a stud.

If Ballard trades all the way down to 29 and only gets a 2nd out of the deal he should be fired. You have to get a haul to move that far. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Would be a stupid move to move up for a corner considering there’s aren’t any sure fire shut down corners in this draft. There’s no one who’s as good as prospect as Sauce Gardner and Patrick Surtain were. 

Nothing is stupid if u view that player as a difference maker.  

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

Nothing is stupid if u view that player as a difference maker.  

It's only a stupid move if it fails. If the player succeeds then it's a genius move. Such is the way of life and judgement of the public. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Draft is tomorrow. Any final guesses? BTJ is my final mock draft first pick, but I still think Bowers can fall to us. Hearing rumbling about Dallas Turner which is interesting because Paye and Dayo are going into the final year of their rookie contracts

I think Turner is only possible if we get to pick 7 

16 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Would be a stupid move to move up for a corner considering there’s aren’t any sure fire shut down corners in this draft. There’s no one who’s as good as prospect as Sauce Gardner and Patrick Surtain were. 

Maybe a 4th thrown in but wouldn’t expect more than that. 

1 minute ago, tweezy32 said:

I'd be willing to trade down a few spots, 5 max, and try to trade back up at the end of the first. Someone will fall, and that could be a good time to pick up help for this team.

I want a move to get a possible playmaker with the 1st pick. Balard trades down and I don't see a playmaker on the defensive side. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Once u get past a certain pick in the 1st the rest are 2ne rounders. Interesting that Lombardi has 12 1st rounders and Ballard had between 19-21

It just means that Ballard has preemptively justified a trade down to the fans who want a top premium player, by providing the "objective" facts before the move.  LOL.  Shrewd media savvy that 'ol boy has.

• Like 3

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

I want a move to get a possible playmaker with the 1st pick. Balard trades down and I don't see a playmaker on the defensive side. 

yeah id only trade down a few spots if there were multiple playmakers available still. We could stay still at 15 and still would want to trade back up to get extra help. would just want to get extra picks to help when we trade back up in the end of the 1st

37 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Historic Success Chart

The numbers show us the following outline for finding consistent starters:

1st Round - OL (83%) LB (70%) TE (67%) DB (64%) QB (63%) WR (58%) RB (58%) DL (58%)

2nd Round - OL (70%) LB (55%) TE (50%) WR (49%) DB (46%) QB (27%) DL (26%) RB (25%)

3rd Round - OL (40%) TE (39%) LB (34%) DL (27%) WR (25%) DB (24%) QB (17%) RB (16%)

4th Round - DL (37%) TE (33%) OL (29%) LB (16%) WR(12%) DB (11%) RB (11%) QB (8%)

5th Round - TE (32%) DB (17%) WR (16%) OL (16%) DL (13%) RB (9%) LB (4%) QB (0%)

6th Round - TE (26%) OL (16%) DL (13%) WR (9%) DB (8%) RB (6%) LB (5%) QB (0%)

7th Round - DB (11%) OL (9%) QB (6%) WR (5%) DL (3%) LB (2%) RB (0%) TE (0%)

One might say that it means that OL and LBer are the easier positions for a GM to find.

A RT and a LBer would be good to find in this draft.  Braden Smith's contract is starting to look like top 10 G money.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

I think Turner is only possible if we get to pick 7 

There is potential for a run at QBs. Vikings are already trying to get up and don't count out the broncos or Raiders

• Like 1

Just now, DougDew said:

It just means that Ballard has preemptively justified a trade down to the fans who want a top premium player, by providing the "objective" facts before the move.  LOL.  Shrewd media savvy that 'ol boy has.

Yup.  I fnd him very tiring. This draft is going  to tell me if there is a philosophical change in Ballard. If Mitchell is sitting there and they let someone swoop in and take him, I will be very unhappy lol. Taking a guy like Mitchell or Diggins tells me a change in Ballard's approach when it comes to team building. Trading up for Mitchell tells me that he has really changed as he traded up and picked a man corner. That would be a major change as he gambled and picked a corner that is not proficient at zone. 

5 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Yup.  I fnd him very tiring. This draft is going  to tell me if there is a philosophical change in Ballard. If Mitchell is sitting there and they let someone swoop in and take him, I will be very unhappy lol. Taking a guy like Mitchell or Diggins tells me a change in Ballard's approach when it comes to team building. Trading up for Mitchell tells me that he has really changed as he traded up and picked a man corner. That would be a major change as he gambled and picked a corner that is not proficient at zone. 

I wouldn't hang my hat on a pick or nonpick of Mitchell as signaling a philosophy issue.  I think Mitchell could be a target at 15 for a lower drafting team.  In which case, I think I'd take the picks and fill more immediate holes.  In the end, he's still just a prospect and not a proven player.

I think I would replace my DC first before I would invest in a corner that high, JMO.

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

People should listen to Lombardi on MacAfee show and talking about the drafting of a wr. Only 27% of wrs drafted in the 1st round make it to a 2nd contract. Oline is the safest.

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

People should listen to Lombardi on MacAfee show and talking about the drafting of a wr. Only 27% of wrs drafted in the 1st round make it to a 2nd contract. Oline is the safest.

A trade down to the late first to pick up a starting RT wouldn't bother me at all.  If the draft is deep at C for a later pick after a trade down, we could never have to deal with the French/Fries/ Pinter issues as starters at RG or C again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

A trade down to the late first to pick up a starting RT wouldn't bother me at all.  If the draft is deep at C for a later pick after a trade down, we could never have to deal with the French/Fries/ Pinter issues as starters at RG or C again.

What would u do with Smith?

3 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I have said that if the Colts trade up it would be for Mitchell and not wr.

It’s possible, I’d much rather it was for a DE (or Bowers), though. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

We'll have first shot at the second tier of players, IMO.  Good in one way, bad in other ways.   Unless there is one player being targeted at 15, trading down a few slots gets you the same level of player, IMO.

Agreed. To me if Ballard is not targeting that D player that could be a play maker, then he can trade back as far as he wants lol.

25 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

What would u do with Smith?

RG.  He's had some issues the past two seasons and will probably never be an elite RT, but he could be an elite RG.   A Rt at say pick 25 would improve two positions on the oline to help protect The Franchise.  And a later round C selection could backup Kelly with a higher ceiling player than either Pinter or French, if its a deep C draft.

I like the idea of having a shiny new toy at WR, but I think AP deserves a year with AR to see what comes of it.  Improving/solidifying the oline with a RT pick and a corresponding move of Smith is almost a sure thing, IMO.   Especially given the success rate at finding OLs in the first round, and it being a quality OT draft.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

RG.  He's had some issues the past two seasons and will probably never be an elite RT, but he could be an elite RG.   A Rt at say pick 25 would improve two positions on the oline to help protect The Franchise.  And a later round C selection could backup Kelly with a higher ceiling player than either Pinter or French, if its a deep C draft.

I like the idea of having a shiny new toy at WR, but I think AP deserves a year with AR to see what comes of it.  Improving/solidifying the oline with a RT pick and a corresponding move of Smith is almost a sure thing, IMO.   Especially given the success rate at finding OLs in the first round.

Good plan. I think people r going to be shocked when a wr is not picked early. Listen to Ballard. He believes that AR and Taylor will  creat explosive  plays. This is a loaded Oline draft. Ballard probably wants to trade out of the 1st. Get like 2 2nd rounders and 2 3rd rounders if he can lol

• Like 1

Amon-Ra St.Brown just got 4/120M deal... highest paid WR in the league. WRs are highly sought out and highly paid! What would this mean for Aiyuk, Lamb, JJ? They are going to break the market. IMO this is another reason you should be looking at the draft to get your high end WRs, 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, krunk said:

Of course the speed is real unique in terms of him always being a top level separator. What I also like for him to be such a big dude is his feet. He's actually pretty nimble after the catch in small spaces.  I thought he just played on the outside but I've seen LSU play him from the inside as well. Also see them throw him quick hitter, screen type passes that he makes extra yards out of. I think he has very good hands and he is good with his routes. I didn't dwell much on attacking the football because that can be taught if it's an issue. I've seen some say he doesn't always go all out every time but no prospect is perfect in college. If I had things to fix I don't see big holes in his game. Just few things I like but not exhaustive

If we draft him, I'll go back and watch more film. Obviously, if he comes here he won't need to be THE GUY right away, and Reggie will be his teacher. If he can succeed anywhere, it's here, so I suppose his landing spot will determine a lot. 

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

Amon-Ra St.Brown just got 4/120M deal... highest paid WR in the league. WRs are highly sought out and highly paid! What would this mean for Aiyuk, Lamb, JJ? They are going to break the market. IMO this is another reason you should be looking at the draft to get your high end WRs, 

God wrs are so expensive.

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

Crazy, but he's so productive. He won me my dynasty fantasy league this year. 

Teams are going to start drafting multiple WRs a year and letting guys walk in FA more often. 

• Like 2

ESPN Graziano: 

"Trades from the teens into the top five or top 10 for quarterbacks are fun to discuss, but they're tough to execute because of the expense associated with such deals. The people I talk to think we're likely to see more trades in the second half of the first round than in the first half. The Colts (No. 15), Jaguars (No. 17), Rams (No. 19) and Eagles (No. 22) are all teams I've heard have been making calls about potentially moving up."

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, stitches said:

Top 5 money for any position is getting pretty expensive though.  Those teams are paying it because of their SB window now, compared to what Pittman got.

• Like 2

Jeremy Fowler:

"Fowler: When I ask teams to predict which player will be the fourth receiver taken, one name that comes up fairly often is Texas' Xavier Worthy. Elite speed goes high. LSU's Brian Thomas Jr. is in that conversation, too. He's bracing to go somewhere in the teens or early-to-mid 20s. Thomas was part of the combine medical recheck due to a shoulder issue from college, but teams I've spoken to say that's not a major red flag -- just something they would have to manage in Year 1. He's extremely talented.

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Top 5 money for any position is getting pretty expensive though.  Those teams are paying it because of their SB window now, compared to what Pittman got.

I think St. Brown is better WR than Pittman too... another reason he's getting paid more. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

ESPN Graziano: 

"Trades from the teens into the top five or top 10 for quarterbacks are fun to discuss, but they're tough to execute because of the expense associated with such deals. The people I talk to think we're likely to see more trades in the second half of the first round than in the first half. The Colts (No. 15), Jaguars (No. 17), Rams (No. 19) and Eagles (No. 22) are all teams I've heard have been making calls about potentially moving up."

I honestly will not believe this until I see it happen. Or unless it's super cheap... like... if it cost a 3d to move from 15 to 9 for Odunze or Nabers(if he falls), or if it cost a 4th to move from 15 to... 11? for someone like Bowers? But again... I just don't think it happens. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, stitches said:

I honestly will not believe this until I see it happen. Or unless it's super cheap... like... if it cost a 3d to move from 15 to 9 for Odunze or Nabers(if he falls), or if it cost a 4th to move from 15 to... 11? for someone like Bowers? But again... I just don't think it happens. 

Yeah i look at Ballard as a stingy guy when it comes to trading up. He does not want to pay a lot to move up and dont think he will.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, DattMavis said:

If we draft him, I'll go back and watch more film. Obviously, if he comes here he won't need to be THE GUY right away, and Reggie will be his teacher. If he can succeed anywhere, it's here, so I suppose his landing spot will determine a lot. 

Another thing to note is the man had 17 tds in the SEC on a team where he wasn't even the primary receiver. He did this with Nabers on the team. So imagine what that looks like in these games where teams want to double Pittman.

The Buckner extension is a tell that Ballard is preparing for a possible trade. It could be climbing the draft order or trading for a veteran player along with his draft pick. Whatever it is, you know the decision will have a major impact this season.

49 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

Yeah i look at Ballard as a stingy guy when it comes to trading up. He does not want to pay a lot to move up and dont think he will.

I think he would if he could get a "fair trade", but draft point charts just don't apply in the top half of the 1st round in my opinion. He's going to have to spend more picks than a 3rd if he wants to move up.