Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

I see most of this forum is fine with Ballard doing what Ballard's always done.

So I'll just remind everybody that he is 54-60-1 and he doesn't have the QB excuse anymore. If he thinks that playing conservative with trading back for more picks and the cap are always the way to go, then I just hope the fan base, and Irsay especially, make no excuses for how those picks work out (and how the top prospects that he didn't make moves for worked out). It's going to be incredibly easy to compare how his strategy works vs what the Texans and Jags have done in FA this year, and it'll be very easy to follow how MHJ,Nabers,Odunze and Bowers perform.

1 minute ago, colts89 said:

So I'll just remind everybody that he is 54-60-1 and he doesn't have the QB excuse anymore. If he thinks that playing conservative with trading back for more picks and the cap are always the way to go, then I just hope the fan base, and Irsay especially, make no excuses for how those picks work out (and how the top prospects that he didn't make moves for worked out). It's going to be incredibly easy to compare how his strategy works vs what the Texans and Jags have done in FA this year, and it'll be very easy to follow how MHJ,Nabers,Odunze and Bowers perform.

Staring Bored To Death GIF

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shepman said:

I predict Bowers will be there at 15, we trade back and he gets picked before we are back on and the forum explodes.

Do u ever get there is any sense of urgency with Ballard when he speaks bout the team? I hear a lot of I think they should. He just comes across like a guy who feels that he is safe as long as Irsay is the owner. Smooth talker, I guess, and I tire of the soft ball questions from the media. Your team was like at the bottom of the league and that was against horrendous qb play.  Your 2nd round pick corner couldn't stay healthy. Your other corners are late round picks and one coming back from serious injury. I know it's a presser and he can't give it away but man, you would think his defense is just peachy. I honestly think this D needs so much work both schematically and on the talent side. I do think listening to him, he will trade back. I think that the guys that he really covets will be gone or way too expensive. The  top 3 wrs will be gone as will be Bowers. Mitchell is probably not his guy the Dends will go fast. There might be a guy at say 12 but I think he won't pill the trigger and say give  up a 2nd or 3r rounder. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Staring Bored To Death GIF

Did I say something dumb? Maybe give reasons why one should trust and agree with Ballard's team building philosophy going into his 8th season. He's been pretty average to, dare I say it, below average so far into his tenure.

50 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

no. Just the same thing over and over like the rest of these yayhoos on this forum. Broken records. 

Okay then. I'm sorry for sharing my opinion on my favorite football team that others also seem to share (probably for a good reason) on a football forum.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, colts89 said:

Okay then. I'm sorry for sharing my opinion on my favorite football team that others also seem to share (probably for a good reason) on a football forum.

You don’t have to be sorry for sharing your opinion but others can and will respond to your opinion with theirs and they might not agree with you.  That doesn’t mean you can’t post yours and I don’t think anyone here even suggested you can’t.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

You don’t have to be sorry for sharing your opinion but others can and will respond to your opinion with theirs and they might not agree with you.  That doesn’t mean you can’t post yours and I don’t think anyone here even suggested you can’t.

He just posted a gif of a dude making a stupid face to my original post. That isn't sharing an opinion. I'd very much prefer someone telling me why they disagree with me or telling me why I might be incorrect lmao. I don't hold my opinion sacred or anything I promise but the point of the forum is to discuss things amongst fellow fans and not make snide, surface level replies. We aren't in high school.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, colts89 said:

He just posted a gif of a dude making a stupid face to my original post. That isn't sharing an opinion. I'd very much prefer someone telling me why they disagree with me or telling me why I might be incorrect lmao. I don't hold my opinion sacred or anything I promise but the point of the forum is to discuss things amongst fellow fans and not make snide, surface level replies. We aren't in high school.

Homer Blank Stare GIF by MOODMAN

telling me why I might be incorrect

Because I don’t believe a great deal of what has happened in the past matters much when looking forward, and I saw enough to know the team is moving forward with Shane Steichen. 

it will be easy to follow. So if any of the players that you think we should have brought in don’t work out near the contracts they signed, will you agree that your point is a bad one? 

what specific players do you think we should have brought in? Who specifically are you thinking makes Houston, Jax, and Tennessee better? You know… for easy following. 

but the point of the forum is to discuss things amongst fellow fans and not make snide, surface level replies. We aren't in high school.

interesting…

12 hours ago, colts89 said:

So I'll just remind everybody that he is 54-60-1 and he doesn't have the QB excuse anymore.

because I could have swore this was a high school level introduction. 😂 

5 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

interesting…

because I could have swore this was a high school level introduction. 😂 

How? Did I insult someone? I just said that it seems people in this thread seem to be fine with Ballard doing what he's always done, despite a lack of success. That's just an opinion, and one that others share.

You could retort:

"Yes, despite his record, I feel like this team is in good shape considering the franchise QB didn't play last year and we had an above .500 record. We should trade back in order to deal with depth in a ton of positions where it's incredibly thin such as LB, CB and Safety".

Or you could just post a condescending gif. That's on you though.

• Like 1

I'm fine with Ballard and think he's one of the better GMs in the league. They tried it Franks way ( Rivers,Wentz,Ryan) and it just didn't work out.The difference between a good team and a mediocre team in the NFL is the QB position. The roster is solid,just have to hope AR is the answer.

20 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I'm fine with Ballard and think he's one of the better GMs in the league. They tried it Franks way ( Rivers,Wentz,Ryan) and it just didn't work out.The difference between a good team and a mediocre team in the NFL is the QB position. The roster is solid,just have to hope AR is the answer.

You know, I don't put all those guys on Frank, but 2 of the 3 I think can be directly attributed to Frank. Not 100% sure on Ryan, but vet pattern existed, sk Im sure he want against it or anything.

I say that, to say this, now looking back at how bad Frank bundled the Young situation in Carolina. That makes me a little happier we didn't go that route here, at that time.

19 hours ago, colts89 said:

I can see why you’re getting lampooned

Which specific prospect are you saying he should get?  You listed four.  Are you saying he should work trades to get all four?   If he drafts one of those guys you’ll then praise Ballard?

this team was a couple plays from making the playoffs with Gardner Minshew…. GARDNER MINSHEW!  Shane Steichen knows ball.  Let’s see what happens.

side note, I’m fine trading for one of those guys (prob not Bowers but fine taking him at 15).  But has to be realistic.  Cardinals are going to want a haul for such a move (seen trades suggested here that are comical such as our first this year, first next and Alec Pierce.  Why would the cardinals do that?)

18 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

no. Just the same thing over and over like the rest of these yayhoos on this forum. Broken records. 

Hmmmm. I really don't think what hexiw saying is dumb. It's a football forum and all aboutcjustvsexpreaaing

20 hours ago, colts89 said:

I was never good at math but usually, when someone scored less than 50% at a test and/or a task, it meant they failed. The only thing about Ballard is that he is continually given the excuse that his dog ate his homework, so he couldn't study, and therefore, that is the reason why he failed. I'm making a comparison to losing  Luck lol.. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Hmmmm. I really don't think what hexiw saying is dumb. It's a football forum and all aboutcjustvsexpreaaing

I was never good at math but usually, when someone scored less than 50% at a test and/or a task, it meant they failed. The only thing about Ballard is that he is continually given the excuse that his dog ate his homework, so he couldn't study, and therefore, that is the reason why he failed. I'm making a comparison to losing  Luck lol.. 

Well then as far as a test for "Who has total distain far Chris Ballard?" you ACE the test with a grade of 100%. Congratulations! No failing grade for you!

On 4/19/2024 at 4:24 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Would Cincy have made the SB without taking Chase at #5. I got the answer, and it is easy, it is a FAT NO. They would have never got by KC as great as Burrow is. Giving up next years 1st round pick isn't the end of the world to land a generational WR. We still have picks in rounds 2-7 if we did that. 

Worrying about 1st round picks seems to be irrelevant when it comes to Ballard's draft style. He never gets the best player available. He might as well trade back for more pics. Why shop at Tiffany's when you can get more stuff at Walmart. Colts will always remain mediocre with this type of thinking. Don't give me the whole AR was a great pic. I'm a Florida gator fan. We all know he wasn't the best QB for the gators either.

21 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Do u ever get there is any sense of urgency with Ballard when he speaks bout the team? I hear a lot of I think they should. He just comes across like a guy who feels that he is safe as long as Irsay is the owner. Smooth talker, I guess, and I tire of the soft ball questions from the media. Your team was like at the bottom of the league and that was against horrendous qb play.  Your 2nd round pick corner couldn't stay healthy. Your other corners are late round picks and one coming back from serious injury. I know it's a presser and he can't give it away but man, you would think his defense is just peachy. I honestly think this D needs so much work both schematically and on the talent side. I do think listening to him, he will trade back. I think that the guys that he really covets will be gone or way too expensive. The  top 3 wrs will be gone as will be Bowers. Mitchell is probably not his guy the Dends will go fast. There might be a guy at say 12 but I think he won't pill the trigger and say give  up a 2nd or 3r rounder. 

Ballard  has a plan let's  wait to see what is before we get mad. Also the secondary  will be fine.

39 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

what would you consider an acceptable win percentage?

10 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

what would you consider an acceptable win percentage?

I really shouldn't have to answer that. It's winning percentage, play off appearances, play off wins, division titles and AFC titles. Where do u think we rank when we consider all of those bearing in mind we also played in a joke division for the last 7 years.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Ballard  has a plan let's  wait to see what is before we get mad. Also the secondary  will be fine.

Based on what? Honestly, I would like u to give me reasons as to why the fan base should not be concerned bout this secondary.

42 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Well then as far as a test for "Who has total distain far Chris Ballard?" you ACE the test with a grade of 100%. Congratulations! No failing grade for you!

Well there u go. U answered my question. So a 100% is considering acing the test and/or task. I assume based on your grading system, less than %50 would be crapping the bed?? I don't have 100% disdain for Ballard. Based on what he has done in Indy, I have less than 50% faith that he can build a superbowl team.

53 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I really shouldn't have to answer that. It's winning percentage, play off appearances, play off wins, division titles and AFC titles. Where do u think we rank when we consider all of those bearing in mind we also played in a joke division for the last 7 years.

Well if you keep bringing up win percentage then you should have an answer of what you think would be acceptable 

1 hour ago, Zoltan said:

Well if you keep bringing up win percentage then you should have an answer of what you think would be acceptable 

Oh brother. So then how would u rate the Colts under Ballard and give reasons for   how u rate  him?

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Oh brother. So then how would u rate the Colts under Ballard and give reasons for   how u rate  him?

Mid tier. But only because he didn’t find stability at qb. that’s how I’m rating him. 

a lot of GM’s are paired with coaches. I think Ballard being able to hire Steichen shows they aren’t moving away from him soon. Especially after the success in year 1 with Steichen. If that continues and the franchise turns the page on the things that people value on this forum (playoffs, division titles, etc,) what he did in years ago will be nearly irrelevant in a lot of people’s eyes. 

7 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Mid tier. But only because he didn’t find stability at qb. that’s how I’m rating him. 

a lot of GM’s are paired with coaches. I think Ballard being able to hire Steichen shows they aren’t moving away from him soon. Especially after the success in year 1 with Steichen. If that continues and the franchise turns the page on the things that people value on this forum (playoffs, division titles, etc,) what he did in years ago will be nearly irrelevant in a lot of people’s eyes. 

Good answer. Think Shane will get the offense handled. I think he is going to have a lot of influence in picking the players for the offense. Ballard and Gus need to get the D fixed and if the two  of them just focus on that, then I am good moving forward. 

15 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Well first answer my question that for some reason you keep dodging, because since you keep repeating the current win percentage what would you consider an acceptable win percentage?

4 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Well first answer my question that for some reason you keep dodging, because since you keep repeating the current win percentage what would you consider an acceptable win percentage?

I would like to know this. Just like I’d like to know- 

On 4/19/2024 at 7:40 PM, colts89 said:

what players specifically in free agency should Ballard have worked harder to get? He tried to get Hunter, who chose going home to Houston over Indianapolis. Aside from Snead, there really isn’t much to show he made any effort in anyone else, which I dispute he even did that with Snead. 

so which players aside from the 4 pass catchers mentioned for the draft does colts89 think we should have brought in so that we can have a fair comparison on what was done by the colts versus others to easily follow and compare. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I would like to know this. Just like I’d like to know- 

what players specifically in free agency should Ballard have worked harder to get? He tried to get Hunter, who chose going home to Houston over Indianapolis. Aside from Snead, there really isn’t much to show he made any effort in anyone else, which I dispute he even did that with Snead. 

so which players aside from the 4 pass catchers mentioned for the draft does colts89 think we should have brought in so that we can have a fair comparison on what was done by the colts versus others to easily follow and 

He wanted Hunter but Texans wanted to much guaranteed. I would have liked Sneed snd I think that was mistep and it filled a need but Ballard didn't want to fork over a 3rd.

• Like 1

He wanted Hunter but Texans wanted to much guaranteed. I would have liked Sneed snd I think that was mistep and it filled a need but Ballard didn't want to fork over a 3rd.

Yep. There was no excuse for not trading for Sneed. 1.) We had interest 2.) We knew the compensation and it was low. 3.) Ballard didn't want to pay the guaranteed money, which he was willing to pay a similar amount for Buckner to re-sign. It just reeks of cheapness and being risk averse. The Titans also got him, so it's not like he went to an elite team.

No defending missing out on Sneed. Anything else someone can make a case for.

I don’t think Ballard wanted him at that bad, regardless of the 3rd round draft pick that you think was the reason we didn’t get him… A lot more to do with 4 years and $44 million guaranteed imo. He undoubtedly wanted Hunter, and I don’t think the money was why he went to Houston. He clearly wanted to be there close to family, and the money was close enough to justify. we don’t know how much we offered or how it was structured. 

Just now, Yoshinator said:

Yep. There was no excuse for not trading for Sneed. 1.) We had interest 2.) We knew the compensation and it was low. 3.) Ballard didn't want to pay the guaranteed money, which he was willing to pay a similar amount for Buckner to re-sign. It just reeks of cheapness and being risk averse. The Titans also got him, so it's not like he went to an elite team.

No defending missing out on Sneed. Anything else someone can make a case for.

Or the more obvious reason which is he puts a much higher value on defensive lineman than cornerbacks. 

Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

I don’t think Ballard wanted him at that bad, regardless of the 3rd round draft pick that you think was the reason we didn’t get him… A lot more to do with 4 years and $44 million guaranteed imo. He undoubtedly wanted Hunter, and I don’t think the money was why he went to Houston. He clearly wanted to be there close to family, and the money was close enough to justify. we don’t know how much we offered or how it was structured. 

Hunter's contract was basically full guaranteed, and we know Irsay and his belief in fully guaranteed contracts. He also wanted to be closer to family. 

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Or the more obvious reason which is he puts a much higher value on defensive lineman than cornerbacks. 

That's possible, but his job needs to be on the line if he has that stance, because teams like the Chiefs are proving that Ballard is wrong in that belief. If we draft a CB early, than I'll eat crow, but that's yet to be determined and relying on Mitchell/Arnold to be there at 15 is based on a certain degree of luck.

2 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

That's possible, but his job needs to be on the line if he has that stance, because teams like the Chiefs are proving that Ballard is wrong in that belief. If we draft a CB early, than I'll eat crow, but that's yet to be determined and relying on Mitchell/Arnold to be there at 15 is based on a certain degree of luck.

The Chiefs got Sneed in the 4th round. I can name plenty of day 2 corners that fit this scheme that could be great for us. This idea that we need to draft Mitchell or Arnold at 15, let alone trade up for one of them, is interesting to me. I think our current batch will indeed be better next year. I think the secondary does need more pieces, and I'm still hopeful a veteran safety is added. But I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment and further anger. 

6 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Hunter's contract was basically full guaranteed, and we know Irsay and his belief in fully guaranteed contracts. He also wanted to be closer to family. 

Yet there was a report that the Colts offered more money... It was 2 years, so it's not like it was a 3 or 4 year fully guaranteed contract that Irsay has preached against. We gave a washed up Matt Ryan $36 million guaranteed over two years. I'm not sure there is much difference. 

Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

The Chiefs got Sneed in the 4th round. I can name plenty of day 2 corners that fit this scheme that could be great for us. This idea that we need to draft Mitchell or Arnold at 15, let alone trade up for one of them, is interesting to me. I think our current batch will indeed be better next year. I think the secondary does need more pieces, and I'm still hopeful a veteran safety is added. But I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment and further anger. 

He did get drafted in the 4th round, however, Ballard has not proven he can draft an elite corner. He can draft good ones late, but no elite ones. Sneed was a nice scheme fit that could play zone, and I'm pretty sure he'll be better than any 3rd round corner that will be available in that range for us (and the Titans got him for a 2025 3rd rounder). I saw the presser, and one year of experience isn't going to be enough to overcome not having an elite CB on this team. He mentioned the O-Line, but the O-Line had Nelson, Braden Smith, and Ryan Kelly. All the CB room has is Kenny Moore. As good as he is, he's a slot corner. 

I would love to get someone like a Cam Hart for the Colts, but we are projecting, and it has to happen. Getting a CB that hits in the first 3 rounds is best-case scenario. We can make excuses for Ballard and say it's ok and he has a plan, but there has to be a time when fans need to admit he is just risk-averse. We'll see in 5 days how the Colts end up. I still expect to trade down.

• Like 1