Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

1 minute ago, Yoshinator said:

He did get drafted in the 4th round, however, Ballard has not proven he can draft an elite corner. He can draft good ones late, but no elite ones. Sneed was a nice scheme fit that could play zone, and I'm pretty sure he'll be better than any 3rd round corner that will be available in that range for us (and the Titans got him for a 2025 3rd rounder). I saw the presser, and one year of experience isn't going to be enough to overcome not having an elite CB on this team. He mentioned the O-Line, but the O-Line had Nelson, Braden Smith, and Ryan Kelly. All the CB room has is Kenny Moore. As good as he is, he's a slot corner. 

I would love to get someone like a Cam Hart for the Colts, but we are projecting, and it has to happen. Getting a CB that hits in the first 3 rounds is best-case scenario. We can make excuses for Ballard and say it's ok and he has a plan, but there has to be a time when fans need to admit he is just risk-averse. We'll see in 5 days how the Colts end up. I still expect to trade down.

I'd argue that neither Arnold or Mitchell will be as good as Sneed *could* be. We'll of course see how Sneed performs in a new system and not on the Chiefs... That might be telling enough. 

Cam Hart is certainly one that I am thinking of regarding my comments. Max Melton as well. There are several. I think it's a relatively strong class. And I don't agree that the team needs an elite corner. We play zone. I think we have stronger needs at linebacker and safety, quite frankly. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Yet there was a report that the Colts offered more money... It was 2 years, so it's not like it was a 3 or 4 year fully guaranteed contract that Irsay has preached against. We gave a washed up Matt Ryan $36 million guaranteed over two years. I'm not sure there is much difference. 

More money but Houston was all guaranteed.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

More money but Houston was all guaranteed.

we don’t know what the terms were from us. He made no mention that the move was about money. He did talk about going home, which was all we have. 

regardless, we did try and quite hard by all accounts. 

and to your argument- if it is because of guaranteed money and what you say is true regarding Jim Irsay not allowing it, then why are we bashing Chris Ballard for not getting free agents? Wouldn’t you agree his hands are tied, if that is the case? 

7 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

we don’t know what the terms were from us. He made no mention that the move was about money. He did talk about going home, which was all we have. 

and to your argument- if it is because of guaranteed money and what you say is true regarding Jim Irsay not allowing it, then why are we bashing Chris Ballard for not getting free agents? Wouldn’t you agree his hands are tied, if that is the case? 

It was widely reported when he signed there he signed there to go home and that was the deciding factor.  However that doesn’t support the Ballard sucks at his job narrative some only want to push so it’s ignored or attempted to spin away.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I'm fully under the preparation for a trade down. I think that it's coming. 

Wouldn’t be shocked unless one of the guys Ballard has solidly in his top 10 slips which is possible with all the QBs expected to go high.

10 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Never bashed him on Hunter. I understand why it never occurred. I thoughtvthey should have made a push for Sneed. Could have taken corner off our board. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Based on what? Honestly, I would like u to give me reasons as to why the fan base should not be concerned bout this secondary.

For one half the secondary  was injured and they are young so growing pains were expected.  Secondly  more talent will be added in the draft. It might not be in the first, but it will be addressed. 

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Never bashed him on Hunter. I understand why it never occurred. I thoughtvthey should have made a push for Sneed. Could have taken corner off our board. 

Same argument can be made for Sneed... He simply might not have wanted to be here unless he was paid xx amount of dollars, which was unreasonable.

Again, we bash Ballard for not making the moves we think he should push to make. But what if his hands are tied, and those deals are unreasonable due to those players having little to no interest in Indianapolis. 

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Same argument can be made for Sneed... He simply might not have wanted to be here unless he was paid xx amount of dollars, which was unreasonable.

Again, we bash Ballard for not making the moves we think he should push to make. But what if his hands are tied, and those deals are unreasonable due to those players having little to no interest in Indianapolis. 

You would have an argument if it wasn't the Titans. He didn't get traded to the Bills or Eagles who have elite QBs. He got traded to the Titans, who are a worse team than us. So that is highly unlikely. You are just grasping for straws to defend Ballard in why he is cheap and risk-averse. This is an 8 year pattern. He didn't just become GM. If Sneed didn't want to go to Indy, that would have been leaked by now. Ballard didn't want to pay the guaranteed money. That makes a lot more sense. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

You would have an argument if it wasn't the Titans. He didn't get traded to the Bills or Eagles who have elite QBs. He got traded to the Titans, who are a worse team than us. So that is highly unlikely. You are just grasping for straws to defend Ballard in why he is cheap and risk-averse. This is an 8 year pattern. He didn't just become GM. If Sneed didn't want to go to Indy, that would have been leaked by now. Ballard didn't want to pay the guaranteed money. That makes a lot more sense. 

I would prefer Nashville over Indianapolis... And I live here. My comment had zero to do with team quality. Although Brian Callahan will have that team playing competitive football. I don't think it's highly unlikely at all. 

I'm not grasping at straws. These are legit questions. Are his hands tied by ownership? Is that why he was hired, with a plan to be conservative/draft and development focused... and subsequently held on through a coaching change? 

I don't doubt he didn't want to pay the guaranteed money. I think i've specifically stated I don't think we were ever that serious in the pursuit of Sneed, contrary to what Destin Adams posted incorrectly on twitter. Ballard's comments regarding our current young core of cornerbacks, backs that belief. I don't think he cares to spend much money on the cornerback position at all...

57 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

He did get drafted in the 4th round, however, Ballard has not proven he can draft an elite corner. He can draft good ones late, but no elite ones. Sneed was a nice scheme fit that could play zone, and I'm pretty sure he'll be better than any 3rd round corner that will be available in that range for us (and the Titans got him for a 2025 3rd rounder). I saw the presser, and one year of experience isn't going to be enough to overcome not having an elite CB on this team. He mentioned the O-Line, but the O-Line had Nelson, Braden Smith, and Ryan Kelly. All the CB room has is Kenny Moore. As good as he is, he's a slot corner. 

I would love to get someone like a Cam Hart for the Colts, but we are projecting, and it has to happen. Getting a CB that hits in the first 3 rounds is best-case scenario. We can make excuses for Ballard and say it's ok and he has a plan, but there has to be a time when fans need to admit he is just risk-averse. We'll see in 5 days how the Colts end up. I still expect to trade down.

The reason  is Ballard has been drafting cb based on their length and athletic  potential  instead of how well they played in college. Sometimes  you have to forgo ras scores and just get a guy who can play.

• Like 1

I would prefer Nashville over Indianapolis... And I live here. My comment had zero to do with team quality. Although Brian Callahan will have that team playing competitive football. I don't think it's highly unlikely at all. 

I'm not grasping at straws. These are legit questions. Are his hands tied by ownership? Is that why he was hired, with a plan to be conservative/draft and development focused... and subsequently held on through a coaching change? 

I don't doubt he didn't want to pay the guaranteed money. I think i've specifically stated I don't think we were ever that serious in the pursuit of Sneed, contrary to what Destin Adams posted incorrectly on twitter. Ballard's comments regarding our current young core of corners backs that belief. I don't think he cares to spend much money on the cornerback position at all...

I agree he doesn't want to spend much on the cornerback position. I don't agree his hands are tied by ownership. He spent roughly close for an extension on Buckner what it would have cost to extend Sneed. It saved us a draft pick or two and CB is better this year in the draft than DT, so maybe it's a good move in that respect. 

I don't doubt Ballard doesn't want to spend much at the CB position. Unfortunately, being a zone team as you said, Ballard probably won't draft a CB high. I've been pushing the narrative that Ballard will draft an EDGE like Latu in the 1st round as Paye and Dayo are FAs after next year and Ballard loves the trenches. I just dislike stubborn people that hold on to their beliefs when they are outdated and have been proven wrong. 

Sneed may like Nashville better than Indy, however, unlike Hunter, there was nothing leaked that he went to the Titans because of location. It seems to me that was because Ballard wasn't willing to pay what the Titans were to extend the contract in guaranteed money. I honestly think that's all it was.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

The reason  is Ballard has been drafting cb based on their length and athletic  potential  instead of how well they played in college. Sometimes  you have to forgo ras scores and just get a guy who can play.

I really think Ballard will go after a CB on day 2 like Cam Hart. He has all the measurables Ballard loves. He'll be our version of JuJu Brents from last year. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yoshinator said:

I really think Ballard will go after a CB on day 2 like Cam Hart. He has all the measurables Ballard loves. He'll be our version of JuJu Brents from last year. 

As long as he picks people that can play we should be fine. Hopefully  he doesn't  out smart himself  like he did years  ago when he passed on McLaurin,  aj brown, and metcalf for Campbell. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

I agree he doesn't want to spend much on the cornerback position. I don't agree his hands are tied by ownership. He spent roughly close for an extension on Buckner what it would have cost to extend Sneed. It saved us a draft pick or two and CB is better this year in the draft than DT, so maybe it's a good move in that respect. 

I don't doubt Ballard doesn't want to spend much at the CB position. Unfortunately, being a zone team as you said, Ballard probably won't draft a CB high. I've been pushing the narrative that Ballard will draft an EDGE like Latu in the 1st round as Paye and Dayo are FAs after next year and Ballard loves the trenches. I just dislike stubborn people that hold on to their beliefs when they are outdated and have been proven wrong. 

Sneed may like Nashville better than Indy, however, unlike Hunter, there was nothing leaked that he went to the Titans because of location. It seems to me that was because Ballard wasn't willing to pay what the Titans were to extend the contract in guaranteed money. I honestly think that's all it was.

Spending and focusing on the defensive line in a qb driven league is outdated and stubborn? Buckner trade was worth it. They couldn’t have found anyone like him, and he was available and willing to come here/be a focal point. Regarding Sneed, I’m not saying that’s why, I’m simply suggesting it could be a possibility. I think he’s in Tennessee because they are the only one who put an offer for him… I just don’t think we were going to do it. I think we reached out and possibly worked through some early negotiation with the chiefs, but when it came to it, backed out at what he was looking for. 

11 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

Agreed. There could be a number that fit that mold. 

having long 6 foot 3 corners on the outsides would be something…

15 minutes ago, Stephen said:

He did that with Kenny Moore did he not? 

14 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

“I just dislike stubborn people that hold on to their beliefs when they are proven wrong”

Just out of curiosity….  Are there any mirrors in your home?    

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Stephen said:

As long as he picks people that can play we should be fine. Hopefully  he doesn't  out smart himself  like he did years  ago when he passed on McLaurin,  aj brown, and metcalf for Campbell. 

Ballard took Campbell because that’s who Frank loved.   And do you know who else passed on McLaurin, Brown and Metcalf?  The rest of the NFL 2-3 times each.   Those guys went in the 50’s and 60’s.  

Everything is obvious in hindsight.  

1 hour ago, Yoshinator said:

I don't bash Ballard's drafting philosophy per se. The issue is that he had not been able to hit on that pass rushing Dend after 7 years. He has continually drafted to try and get one wasting picks that could have been used on say a take the top off wr that everyone has wanted for 7 years. Seeing a pattern yet??

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

He did that with Kenny Moore did he not? 

True but that's a bit different as he was an FA, not a draft pick. K. Moore originally was a rookie UDFA with the Patriots.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

“I just dislike stubborn people that hold on to their beliefs when they are proven wrong”

Just out of curiosity….  Are there any mirrors in your home?    

I'm very open-minded when I get proven wrong. Ballard hasn't proven me wrong at all. His methods suck. Sorry. He's a scout that GMs like a 13-year-old Madden player. You can't build through the draft without using FA and trades in real life. Then he thinks the secondary isn't important when the Chiefs proved otherwise last year by having two elite CBs that helped carried them to another SB title when Mahomes was average. 

You can't teach an old dog new tricks apparently. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

You would have an argument if it wasn't the Titans. He didn't get traded to the Bills or Eagles who have elite QBs. He got traded to the Titans, who are a worse team than us. So that is highly unlikely. You are just grasping for straws to defend Ballard in why he is cheap and risk-averse. This is an 8 year pattern. He didn't just become GM. If Sneed didn't want to go to Indy, that Yowould have been leaked by now. Ballard didn't want to pay the guaranteed money. That makes a lot more sense. 

:facepalm: Jared vs Yoshinator

6 hours ago, DynaMike said:

True but that's a bit different as he was an FA, not a draft pick. K. Moore originally was a rookie UDFA with the Patriots.

More sample size to see how he played in the league. He’s not going to break that principle very often… 

4 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

I'm very open-minded when I get proven wrong. Ballard hasn't proven me wrong at all. His methods suck. Sorry. He's a scout that GMs like a 13-year-old Madden player. You can't build through the draft without using FA and trades in real life. Then he thinks the secondary isn't important when the Chiefs proved otherwise last year by having two elite CBs that helped carried them to another SB title when Mahomes was average. 

You can't teach an old dog new tricks apparently. 

you keep referring to the chiefs. But what the chiefs did was very similar to what he’s tried and trying to do. They drafted a late first corner (not very different from early 2nd- which is what he did last year and prior with ya sin) and the chiefs got sneed in the 4th… and guess what? They let him go! 

I can’t imagine you as a chiefs fan with this mentality. Would you be royally p’d off right now because they let sneed walk? Don’t you think that may have something to do with Ballard not aggressively pursuing him? 

“Mahomes was average.” Yeah, I didn’t see an average qb winning his third Super Bowl. That may just be me. 4k and 27 tuddy’s last year is average? Man… if we had just had average qb play like that these last 7 years, you wouldn’t be saying Ballard’s methods suck, because we would have accomplished quite a bit… 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

you keep referring to the chiefs. But what the chiefs did was very similar to what he’s tried and trying to do. They drafted a late first corner (not very different from early 2nd- which is what he did last year and prior with ya sin) and the chiefs got sneed in the 4th… and guess what? They let him go! 

I can’t imagine you as a chiefs fan with this mentality. Would you be royally p’d off right now because they let sneed walk? Don’t you think that may have something to do with Ballard not aggressively pursuing him? 

“Mahomes was average.” Yeah, I didn’t see an average qb winning his third Super Bowl. That may just be me. 4k and 27 tuddy’s last year is average? Man… if we had just had average qb play like that these last 7 years, you wouldn’t be saying Ballard’s methods suck, because we would have accomplished quite a bit… 

They let him go because they paid Chris Jones instead. They also have Trent McDuffie. Their scouting department has proven they can draft corners. They have won 3 SBs with Mahomes (and made 4), I'm pretty sure they can trade a player away instead of paying him from time to time. Veach has earned that trust among the fanbase. 

If I were a Chiefs fan, I would be extremely happy right now. Best QB in the league. won 3 SBs and made 4 with Mahomes. A great GM that builds through the draft and FA. An elite defense. 

Those numbers were average for Mahomes standards yes. Normally he's much better than that. If we had those numbers on the Colts, we'd probably make the playoffs every year. We don't though. That's Ballard's fault since Luck's retirement. You and a lot of others take for granted that a new GM usually doesn't have an elite QB to start his tenure. Ballard did, that was a luxury. He had a large head thinking all he had to do was build through the draft around Andrew Luck. When Luck retired, Ballard was exposed. He didn't even know the proper way to get a QB. He was trying to do it through FA and trades when the vast majority of the time teams develop their franchise QBs through the draft. 

Ballard built through the draft, except for the QB. How ironic is that? 

8 years in, we are still hoping we hit on the QB. Maybe AR is the guy, as the division is harder, as the AFC has numerous elite QBs, as the NFL passes us by. "If we had average QB play like that these last 7 years". Where has the standards gone of being a fan? We should be regularly making the playoffs and competing for a SB 8 years in Ballards tenure. Instead, we are hoping the QB hits still at this point and we can fix the secondary on the team. 

Give me a break. This team is run by a scout that's a wannabe GM who stubbornly refuses to change his ways. The only reason we're mediocre is because he's actually good at scouting. Unfortunately, as a GM, he has no idea how to compete with 31 other GMs who are actually qualified to be GMs. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

They let him go because they paid Chris Jones instead. They also have Trent McDuffie. Their scouting department has proven they can draft corners. They have won 3 SBs with Mahomes (and made 4), I'm pretty sure they can trade a player away instead of paying him from time to time. Veach has earned that trust among the fanbase. 

If I were a Chiefs fan, I would be extremely happy right now. Best QB in the league. won 3 SBs and made 4 with Mahomes. A great GM that builds through the draft and FA. An elite defense. 

Those numbers were average for Mahomes standards yes. Normally he's much better than that. If we had those numbers on the Colts, we'd probably make the playoffs every year. We don't though. That's Ballard's fault since Luck's retirement. You and a lot of others take for granted that a new GM usually doesn't have an elite QB to start his tenure. Ballard did, that was a luxury. He had a large head thinking all he had to do was build through the draft around Andrew Luck. When Luck retired, Ballard was exposed. He didn't even know the proper way to get a QB. He was trying to do it through FA and trades when the vast majority of the time teams develop their franchise QBs through the draft. 

8 years in, we are still hoping we hit on the QB. Maybe AR is the guy, as the division is harder, as the AFC has numerous elite QBs, as the NFL passes us by. "If we had average QB play like that these last 7 years". Where has the standards gone of being a fan? We should be regularly making the playoffs and competing for a SB 8 years in Ballards tenure. Instead, we are hoping the QB hits still at this point and we can fix the secondary on the team. 

Give me a break. This team is run by a scout that's a wannabe GM who stubbornly refuses to change his ways. The only reason we're mediocre is because he's actually good at scouting. Unfortunately, as a GM, he has no idea how to compete with 31 other GMs who are actually qualified to be GMs. 

Lol...so Ballard is the worst GM in the league. Too funny. Time to change your name again.

34 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

FYI....approx 33% of the current GMs were scouts.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

Exhausting. That’s what you are… 

You refer to Ballard’s work like he’s playing Madden, when that’s actually the only qualification you have to offer input on a career executive in the national football league. It’s laughable. At best. And exhausting. 

he can’t compete with 31 other GM’s? What are you talking about?

• Thanks 2

I'm just at a point where "I'll believe it when I see it" as far as winning, hitting on the QB, and anything else positive when it comes to this team. No amount of GM Speak will convince me this is a good team, I have to see division wins, playoff wins, and hopefully a SB win one day. Actions speak louder than words and I've seen little action and only words. I'm exhausted too from watching and paying attention to this team. Trust me. 

1 hour ago, Yoshinator said:

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

25 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

You refer to Ballard’s work like he’s playing Madden, when that’s actually the only qualification you have to offer input on a career executive in the national football league. It’s laughable. At best. And exhausting. 

he can’t compete with 31 other GM’s? What are you talking about?

He's must be talking about our pathetic back seven, the constant meltdown here over no worthy pass rusher, and the exhausting dreamers that believe the mountain top is trading the kitchen sink for Marvin Jr. so we could be an 11 win team. This is how I'm reading him.

8 hours ago, DynaMike said:

Does it matter where he got him?  People praised Polian all the time for finding undrafted guys, the most notable being Jeff Saturday, and yet some how it’s a strike against Ballard.  I am sorry, and maybe this isn’t your point, but when people go but Ballard didn’t draft this guy it sounds like trying to find a technicality to avoid having to give Ballard credit for acquiring a good player.

2 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Kenny moore was claimed  off waivers after patriots cut him

obviously. But he specifically broke his mold on what he looks for in corners, because of what they saw in Kenny. And he’s talked at length about it. 

8 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Does it matter where he got him?  People praised Polian all the time for finding undrafted guys, the most notable being Jeff Saturday, and yet some how it’s a strike against Ballard.  I am sorry, and maybe this isn’t your point, but when people go but Ballard didn’t draft this guy it sounds like trying to find a technicality to avoid having to give Ballard credit for acquiring a good player.

Ballard  gets credit for finding  moore, but we are saying  he has been bad a picking corners early in the draft and his early safety pick didn't  pan out for us either

9 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

it is. Im convinced we could watch this team win a superbowl in the next few years, and the same people will discredit him. Hell, one poster said he wouldn’t be satisfied if it came at a technicality (aka- a year with injured qbs)… Like what? 

obviously. But he specifically broke his mold on what he looks for in corners, because of what they saw in Kenny. And he’s talked at length about it. 

Downs breaks his models to. Seems like he gets better players when he gets those that can play instead of  just focusing  on ras

3 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Downs breaks his models to. Seems like he gets better players when he gets those that can play instead of  just focusing  on ras

I think Steichen and Wayne had a lot of input on Downs. He was also a 8.99 RAS, even with really poor size on that rating. So he makes up for it in other ways. 

and if you think he “just focuses on RAS,” I really don’t know what to tell you. That’s an interesting perspective…