Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

Just now, Yoshinator said:

If this is true, then I hope we get Blackmon back, as the S class is very weak this year.

I will agree, I am not happy we haven't got more secondary help. I want Simmons but having said that, I am sure Ballard thinks AR will be good which will make us relevant. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Has anyone gave it 1 thought, that why Ballard wants to run it back is, we were 1 play away from winning the Division with a backup QB? Now we will have AR healthy, you would think AR would be an upgrade over Minshew at the most important position. I think he will be. 

Yep. 9-8 and 28th in points allowed against a weak schedule. Don't change a thing. Brilliant. 😆

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, BeanDiasucci said:

Yep. 9-8 and 28th in points allowed against a weak schedule. Don't change a thing. Brilliant. 😆

If the offense is better, that takes pressure off of the defense, with AR the offense should be better + I never said we didn't more secondary help. 

I am amazed at how many people downplayed Minshew during the season, calling him a backup at best when I actually defended him. Now with AR coming back, some act like it won't be an improvement at QB. Interesting. If we can go 9-8 with Minshew, then with AR we should win 9 at worse, if not 10 or 11.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Houston would have no chance and would get squashed like a bug. Cincy with a healthy Burrow, Ravens, and maybe the Bills could upset KC. Ravens will be interesting again after picking up Henry. 

Possibly, but Houston is on the rise and have been active in free agency.  Their defense will be very good and the offense will be even better.  They have a QB who did great and now is more experienced.   The Colts will have little chance of winning the AFC South, I am afraid, but it can happen.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am amazed at how many people downplayed Minshew during the season, calling him a backup at best when I actually defended him. Now with AR coming back, some act like it won't be an improvement at QB. Interesting. If we can go 9-8 with Minshew, then with AR we should win 9 at worse, if not 10 or 11.

I think everyone is hopeful, if not certain, that the offense will be better with Richardson. But how is this a reason for Ballard to "run it back" like you were supporting a couple of posts ago? Are you saying that because they might win 10 or 11 with the current roster, there's no reason to add veteran talent? You seem to be supporting running it back with one post, yet also want more help in the secondary with other posts, which is not running it back. Why the double talk? Do you agree with running it back as is or not? 

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We do not know what AR will be like yet.  He may win 11 games or he may win 6 games.  

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

If this is true, then I hope we get Blackmon back, as the S draft class is very weak this year.

Yeah... maybe it was Edwards or Blackmon ?  Only visit I saw Blackmon take was Buffalo and they signed Edwards.  I'm thinking Blackmon or Diggs. Then a pretty good O Lineman  and a small piece here or there.

• Like 1

Just now, dw49 said:

Yeah... maybe it was Edwards or Blackmon ?  Only visit I saw Blackmon take was Buffalo and they signed Edwards.  I'm thinking Blackmon or Diggs. Then a pretty good O Lineman  and a small piece here or there.

With safety looking so bad in the draft, as well as what we currently have on the roster, we need both. Cross and Thomas arnt ready for starting jobs next season.

If we had to choose one or the other I'd take Diggs and let Cross start. Let him take his lumps and grow. Would prefer Blackmon and Diggs though.

1 hour ago, BeanDiasucci said:

I think everyone is hopeful, if not certain, that the offense will be better with Richardson. But how is this a reason for Ballard to "run it back" like you were supporting a couple of posts ago? Are you saying that because they might win 10 or 11 with the current roster, there's no reason to add veteran talent? You seem to be supporting running it back with one post, yet also want more help in the secondary with other posts, which is not running it back. Why the double talk? Do you agree with running it back as is or not? 

I see why he re-signed the guys he did, you can run it back and add 1 extra impact player which I have posted in here 5 times before today. I never once said we didn't more help in the Secondary and I gave a great reason why I am understanding what Ballard is doing with AR coming back. Pretty simple to understand really. You are twisting things now. 

39 minutes ago, KB said:

With safety looking so bad in the draft, as well as what we currently have on the roster, we need both. Cross and Thomas arnt ready for starting jobs next season.

If we had to choose one or the other I'd take Diggs and let Cross start. Let him take his lumps and grow. Would prefer Blackmon and Diggs though.

I would prefer Blackmon and Diggs as well.  A lot of people want Simmons and I wouldn’t complain if it happens but he is 34.  I think Diggs would be the smarter choice considering age.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Possibly, but Houston is on the rise and have been active in free agency.  Their defense will be very good and the offense will be even better.  They have a QB who did great and now is more experienced.   The Colts will have little chance of winning the AFC South, I am afraid, but it can happen.  

I give the Colts a better chance of winning the division than I do Houston beating KC or the Ravens in the playoffs. 

19 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I give the Colts a better chance of winning the division than I do Houston beating KC or the Ravens in the playoffs. 

What does that have to do with anything though?

Who do you think has the better chance of winning the division this season?

7 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Myles said he gave the Colts little chance of winning the division and Houston is on the rise. I was simply making a statement with my post towards him.

To answer your question, I think division is up in the air. We have as good as chance as Houston or Jacks of winning the division. Everyone last year thought Jacks would win the division easily, they were on the rise with Trevor and look at what happened. Houston could do the same as Jacks, Stroud had an incredible year for a rookie, who's to say he does that again? Who's to say AR doesn't have a great year and we improve a game or 2. 10 wins will probably win the division + tiebreakers. 10 wins isn't a lot. 

42 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Also remember, Houston has a 1st place schedule now. Houston had a last place schedule last season. Did Houston win 10 games because of their weak schedule?

Partly, yes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

shhh, you don't want to disturb the temper tantrums :P 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I would prefer Blackmon and Diggs as well.  A lot of people want Simmons and I wouldn’t complain if it happens but he is 34.  I think Diggs would be the smarter choice considering age.  

Justin Simmons:

(1993-11-19) November 19, 1993 (age 30)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

I think people need to look away from the recital of "one play from winning the division".

First of all, it was one play to get a first down, then they needed to score from 15 yards out or so, trailing by 4 points with a MINUTE remaining for BOTH teams. So, it was like many other losses - close but so far away. Many plays were required from offense and defense after that point to win that game.

Steichen did a great job with Minshew, who played his heart out, so hope is that Colts could repeat with better QB performance. But.. 

Apart from schedule getting tougher, Richardson only played 4 games so what fans here seem to ignore all the time is that teams had no film on Richardson to plan for, and he surprised some teams. But, as he grows into the role this year, defenses also would understand his weaknesses and try to exploit that, which we didn't get to see how he'd respond due to limited sample size.

So, it's not going to be as simple as "replace Minshew with Richardson and add at least 1 more win". It rarely plays out that way, and every season is different.

Also, Colts need to improve as a team apart from re-signing own players, need to get stronger and tougher on both sides, in order to stay ahead of the competition.

One more point being missed in the argument of "1 win away from winning division" is that every year Colts need to LOOK TO improve as much as to be a championship contender next season. If you're limiting yourself to where you stood last year, and think couple of positive additions like rookie QB will improve the chance of winning division, Colts as a team is still far away from being a contender and being a challenge to Elite teams. Fans are only hoping things go Colts' way in many aspects to be a division winner, which doesn't cut it in Playoffs if their gap with Elite teams is still very far to even project an Outlook at this point! 

So what's being done by the Front Office to get where they need to be as a contender for Title? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I think people need to look away from the recital of "one play from winning the division".

First of all, it was one play to get a first down, then they needed to score from 15 yards out or so, trailing by 4 points with a MINUTE remaining for BOTH teams. So, it was like many other losses - close but so far away. Many plays were required from offense and defense after that point to win that game.

Steichen did a great job with Minshew, who played his heart out, so hope is that Colts could repeat with better QB performance. But.. 

Apart from schedule getting tougher, Richardson only played 4 games so what fans here seem to ignore all the time is that teams had no film on Richardson to plan for, and he surprised some teams. But, as he grows into the role this year, defenses also would understand his weaknesses and try to exploit that, which we didn't get to see how he'd respond due to limited sample size.

So, it's not going to be as simple as "replace Minshew with Richardson and add at least 1 more win". It rarely plays out that way, and every season is different.

Also, Colts need to improve as a team apart from re-signing own players, need to get stronger and tougher on both sides, in order to stay ahead of the competition.

One more point being missed in the argument of "1 win away from winning division" is that every year Colts need to LOOK TO improve as much as to be a championship contender next season. If you're limiting yourself to where you stood last year, and think couple of positive additions like rookie QB will improve the chance of winning division, Colts as a team is still far away from being a contender and being a challenge to Elite teams. Fans are only hoping things go Colts' way in many aspects to be a division winner, which doesn't cut it in Playoffs if their gap with Elite teams is still very far to even project an Outlook at this point! 

So what's being done by the Front Office to get where they need to be as a contender for Title? 

Maybe we score, maybe we don't. Before the final play, ESPN had us projected winning at 77% though, I did see that because I was following it on ESPN. 77% is pretty high. I am assuming they assumed we would get a 4th and 1 then score from 12 yards out?? Point of it is, if Houston was so much better than us, why didn't blow us out with our backup in? 1st time we played them in Houston, AR was running all over them.

3 hours ago, dw49 said:

Just found this on Blackmon...

Bleacher Reports Jordan Schultz reports free agent S Julian Blackmon is visiting with the 49ers.

Blackmon met with the Bills last week and has “several suitors,” according to Schultz. Blackmon totaled four interceptions, 88 tackles, and five TFLs for the Colts last season in what was arguably the best year of his career. While it’s possible a deal between Blackmon and the 49ers gets done, it wouldn’t be surprising if he met with a few more teams before settling on a landing spot.

On 3/20/2024 at 2:17 PM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

...Maybe Ballard will surprise and go offense...

That won't be a surprise. I believe that is and has been the plan along. They will choose young playmakers to pair with Richardson.

-- and --

I don't think Ballard is done with Free Agency either. I predict that we will have a complete defense before going into the draft. He is sitting on about ~$20m in cap space for a reason.

2 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

People will cling to anything to keep the fantasy that we’re contenders alive. 

It’s either the play you mentioned or the Browns game and “the ref’s fault” while they ignore the defense gave up 17 points on Minshew’s 3 turnovers. It is what it is. 

I think the Texans is the best team in our division and I’m not sure it’ll be close if Stroud keeps building on last season’s performance. 

AR will have an offseason of practice and study, but he still has a lot to learn given his minimal football experience and he’ll essentially be a rookie this season. 

The Texans have made moves to improve in FA and they’ll add talent like us in the draft. I don’t see how we all of a sudden should overtake them unless AR plays out of this world this season. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

It’s either the play you mentioned or the Browns game and “the ref’s fault” while they ignore the defense gave up 17 points on Minshew’s 3 turnovers. It is what it is. 

I think the Texans is the best team in our division and I’m not sure it’ll be close if Stroud keeps building on last season’s performance. 

AR will have an offseason of practice and study, but he still has a lot to learn given his minimal football experience and he’ll essentially be a rookie this season. 

The Texans have made moves to improve in FA and they’ll add talent like us in the draft. I don’t see how we all of a sudden should overtake them unless AR plays out of this world this season. 

Name 1 person in here that says we are contenders. I haven't and we aren't but it is fact we almost won the division with a backup QB. By the way Houston isn't a contender either, they are not on KC's, Baltimore's, or Cincy's level when Burrow is healthy. 

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Name 1 person in here that says we are contenders. I haven't and we aren't but it is fact we almost won the division with a backup QB. By the way Houston isn't a contender either, they are not on KC's, Baltimore's, or Cincy's level when Burrow is healthy. 

I don’t think Houston are contenders yet, but if Stroud keeps improving they could be close at the end of the season, but they’re probably eyeing next season. 

They are at least a season ahead of us, though, and that’s with AR working out. 

• Like 1

On 3/20/2024 at 3:46 PM, Solid84 said:

Well, like I said - I don't think the problem is coaching, I think it's talent and IF that's true then this is Ballard trying to cover his *.

Look, I'm not saying Charlie Partridge can't wring a little more performance out of this group, but I don't think that's going to take it into the good or even "good enough" category. I think it's talent. Happy to be wrong of course.

Not my intention to pad it, but I wanted to show the full picture of how much we've invested in that position. Now, Green and Leo may amount to zip value-wise, but we're still using picks hoping to at least get solid backups right?

Oh sure, "nothing to show for the investments" is hyperbole, but let me rephrase it to "not enough to show for the investments" then.

You people are hilarious. We have four outside pass rushers all Just hitting their Prime, we had over 50 sacks with little help from the DC disguising coverages, and a pathetic blitz rate, and you all whine about last years results being next seasons. 

You haven't a infinitesimal clue who will be our starting secondary or how they will play, nor Steichen's influence on how Bradley runs our D.

So much hopelessness here, kicked the dog lately?

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Maybe we score, maybe we don't. Before the final play, ESPN had us projected winning at 77% though, I did see that because I was following it on ESPN. 77% is pretty high. I am assuming they assumed we would get a 4th and 1 then score from 12 yards out?? Point of it is, if Houston was so much better than us, why didn't blow us out with our backup in? 1st time we played them in Houston, AR was running all over them.

Looking at one game and saying that doesn't mean much.

Why didn't Chiefs blow away Colts if Mahomes and Reid are so great that not many teams can beat them in Super Bowl? Or Ravens last year? (Not many elite teams played Colts last season).

We can keep playing this few games for each team all the time, but there's no guarantee that the gap between those teams remain the same or improve.

I agree Colts are good enough to compete with anyone, but at the same time they also get beaten by any team on a Sunday.

Honestly, Colts need to get to the next level where teams mark that week on their schedule as one to watch out.

Ballard needs to take the next step - he may do this year yet in remaining free agency or in draft or they've a 2-year plan in place but Colts need to get there. 

9 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

You people are hilarious. We have four outside pass rushers all Just hitting their Prime, we had over 50 sacks with little help from the DC disguising coverages, and a pathetic blitz rate, and you blind knuckleheads whine about last years results being next seasons. 

You haven't a infinitesimal clue who will be our starting secondary or how they will play, nor Steichen's influence on how Bradley runs our D.

So much hopelessness here, kicked the dog lately?

Buddy, people who bring up sacks as a reason this Dline is good don’t know football. Sorry, but there it is. 

• I don’t think Bradley can lead a contending defense. 
  • I don’t know how many good safeties are left in FA that’ll actually improve the team, but Ballard likely won’t sign any of them. He’ll sign nobodies before the draft and after the draft he’ll sign nobodies to plug holes - because that’s almost always what he does. 
  • Same as above with the CBs.
  • I don’t trust our LBs to cover anything.
  • Our pass rush was 26th in total pressures. 

The offense is a lot closer, but the defense has more holes than swiss cheese and I don’t trust Bradley to lead it or Ballard to improve it. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Yes... Bringing up That Browns game all the time, to say that Colts should've been 10-7... Every team's fans will have a list of games like that every season - that doesn't get these teams to be contenders. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Yes... Bringing up That Browns game all the time, to say that Colts should've been 10-7... Every team's fans will have a list of games like that every season - that doesn't get these teams to be contenders. 

This one was different because speed strip sacked the QB and the game was over. So there shouldn’t have been any more plays. We aren’t talking about just a bad call. Colts litterly ended the game.

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I was not aware of that ranking, so I looked it up.  While Ballard was 18th, Houston’s Nick Casero was actually 24th.  

They called his first two years terrible.  He had hired three HC’s in his first 3 years something that had never happened in NFL history.    They thought his 3rd year offered promise.   But what would have happened if Carolina had drafted Stroud?  

Not everything is as black and white, good and bad, as you imagine. 

i see your point but i don't think it covers the whole situation. all is better when you win, all is better when you hit on your top 2 picks. taking stroud and Anderson, whilst simultaneously winning the division in his yr one matters. also I believe that ranking was slightly outdated. 

• Thanks 1