Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

34 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Davis is basically a 1 year deal for 5.1 mill. It covers a glaring hole in the run defense when and if Grover is not on the field. It's really not 14 mill on a back up interior lineman. I understand your point but I think you are overestimating the cap allocation spent here. He's tried to provide depth with 5th and 6th rounders and really has wiffed badly . This draft is said to be really weak in rounds 4 through 7. So Ballard spent 5 mill to be on the safe side and filled a hole. 

Plus the prorated $2.5m in 2025... 

But I'm not picking at the Davis signing in a vacuum. 

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Plus the prorated $2.5m in 2025... 

But I'm not picking at the Davis signing in a vacuum. 

Your correct , somehow I forgot to factor in the 2.5 cap hit if released next year.

32 minutes ago, Shive said:

I'm entertaining the idea of just signing Fuller instead of trading for Sneed. Sneed is 2 years younger, but Fuller has been the better player. Fuller graded out as PFF's #6 CB last season (on a bad defense) and Sneed didn't even make the top 20.

With Sneed, I think recency bias is playing a part in that he was ok all season then played great in the postseason. Was that a statistical oddity and you get an average CB at top CB money + draft capital to acquire? Or does he continue to trend upwards?

Completely agree, Fuller would be good signing for the Colts. Rather than wait on Sneed where the Colts stand a strong chance of being outbid; or he is resigned by the Chiefs. I do think the next signing will most likely be a Safety.

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

Come on man be a little optimistic that Richardson will do better about staying healthy this year. 

As long as Steichen intends to keep calling run plays for him, why would anyone be optimistic? A concussion and a season-ending shoulder injury in less than a third of a rookie season and you are optimistic it won’t happen again?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I don’t mind the Harrison signing.  I was actually surprised how well he played last year after the position switch.  So bringing him back on a cheap contract is fine with me.  I’m okay rolling with Cross at SS as long as we have an experienced FS to play alongside and teach him.  Ballard traded up to get him and he’s still very young and has shown he can play.  He makes wrong decisions sometimes and an experienced veteran alongside can help him.   I like the Flacco signing.  An adult accomplished veteran in the room is perfect fo AR.  Minschew served us well last year but he is not your average run of the mill duck if you know what I mean.  I hope he does well with his new team.  Fortunately, as always, Ballard didn’t overpay in the first wave of FA.  There is plenty of time to get a quality corner and safety to get upgrades there.  We also did not lose one significant player to FA like the other teams did in our division.  For me it’s way too early to rank them.  Two days into the new year is too early for me.  So far I’m happy and expecting some significant additions down the road to fortify the roster.

Some good points. However, thus far, Cross has shown nothing. Seemed he could hardly get on the field.  Then near the end of season, he did see time, and his play was nothing to write home about. Could easily be unseated or replaced. Some here are expecting Cross to start? Not ruling that out, as a slim possibility? But if they bring in decent competition, I don't Cross starting. Wouldn't be shocked if both Cross and Thomas end up training camp cuts. I did not think Harrison showed as much as others here do, We still need another NFL caliber LB... and I haven't seen his contract details yet? So I am not assuming he came that cheap?

13 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

nothing is getting out of that room… especially to loose-lipped players with their own podcast following…

I agree, nothing leaked about McKenzie or Tony Brown so must be a tight ship. 

56 minutes ago, Shive said:

With Davis, I know he's been primarily a run stuffer with little pass rush production, but Lance Zerlein's comp for him as a prospect was Buckner. Not that that's what we're getting, but there's obviously some tools there. Sometimes a change of scenery and scheme can make all the difference.

I'm optimistic, but don't have any expectations beyond DT depth that can rotate in and keep our starters fresh, while giving us less drop-off in talent than we got with Bryant.

Our biggest pass rush issue last season seemed to be coverage based, so hopefully we're able to still address it before and possibly in the draft.

Please hear this. All the criticism with the Davis signing is not ALL directly to the player. It is geared towards what the player is known to do. Davis is a space eater. He primarily absorbs blocks to allow the backers to tackle, etc. We already have guys that primarily do that or could find those types of guys later in drafts or udfas. 

We needed a combo player. the ones who can still do what Davis does but also can pressure the passer/backfield. This player does not have a history of doing that and we really don't have any players that can consistently do that as well from the DT position so to us that have critisism, we should have given that money to a more versatile DT. That's it. 

Joel Erickson made some good points on radio this morning. Everyone talking about Titans and Texans improving in FA. He made a great point how no they haven’t. They replaced guys they lost. Pollard for Beney. Hunter for Grenard. 

He also mentioned how all the guys colts brought back would have been some of the best at their positions in FA. 

• Like 9

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Joel Erickson made some good points on radio this morning. Everyone talking about Titans and Texans improving in FA. He made a great point how no they haven’t. They replaced guys they lost. Pollard for Beney. Hunter for Grenard. 

He also mentioned how all the guys colts brought back would have been some of the best at their positions in FA. 

Texans will be a problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PRnum1 said:

I agree and said this as well.

Lets go with a rookie sort of like finding our Brock Purdy.

Lets take a look at Joe Milton (from Tennessee) in the 5th to play the 3rd string.

If AR misses a few games, put Milton in and see what he looks like.

In fact move Flacco to 3rd string so he can "mentor" AR.  The advantage of minshew is that he knew Shane's offense.  Flacco doesn't have that advantage.

I read your posts and "liked" them. You were the one who really got me thinking about drafting a rookie,

and Milton fits the bill.

Your plan was what I was hoping for, figured having Sam (3 qbs) in the mix as well, in case of injury, could have also factored in.

It's the main reason I am disappointed by the Flacco signing. Now if AR goes down, it's live and die with Flacco.

There perhaps are some other rookie QBs out there besides Milton. Ill have to do my homework (as I always do) as the draft gets closer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Who’s Beney lol? I know you meant Henry I’m just kidding around. In all seriousness the only real good signing I think the Titans has was OC Lloyd Cushenberry as they desperately needed a starter there. Pollard, Owuzie, Murray, and even Ridley are just guys to me. I haven’t been that impressed by Ridley for the last year or so. And he’ll be 30 soon. 

22 minutes ago, azcolt said:

As long as Steichen intends to keep calling run plays for him, why would anyone be optimistic? A concussion and a season-ending shoulder injury in less than a third of a rookie season and you are optimistic it won’t happen again?

I would hope Steichen would dial back the designed runs as I believe he said he would do to protect him better. 

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Whether we like it or not, Texans have the bragging rights for the moment until we knock them off. National media all believe they are the team to beat, and even some are considering them the next threat to the Chiefs. To me, it’s an overreaction to think that, but I do think they are the kings of the south for at least another season. 

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I love this point.  The media gives credit to the big spending teams for “improving”, when in reality they’re bringing in FAs who may or may not integrate well into their systems to replace players lost in FA.  At least we brought back guys who we know mesh well, so we aren’t any worse.  And Ballard is easily a Top 10 drafter IMO, so we can certainly improve steadily with this strategy…

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Who’s Beney lol? I know you meant Henry I’m just kidding around. In all seriousness the only real good signing I think the Titans has was OC Lloyd Cushenberry as they desperately needed a starter there. Pollard, Owuzie, Murray, and even Ridley are just guys to me. I haven’t been that impressed by Ridley for the last year or so. And he’ll be 30 soon. 

Henry 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Archer said:

I love this point.  The media gives credit to the big spending teams for “improving”, when in reality they’re bringing in FAs who may or may not integrate well into their systems to replace players lost in FA.  At least we brought back guys who we know mesh well, so we aren’t any worse.  And Ballard is easily a Top 10 drafter IMO, so we can certainly improve steadily with this strategy…

It was a great listen if you have a chance to go and listen to the morning show with Kevin. Also the point of fans complaining they are just running it back with same players. They brought back players that would of been some of the top FA.

22 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I read your posts and "liked" them. You were the one who really got me thinking about drafting a rookie,

and Milton fits the bill.

Your plan was what I was hoping for, figured having Sam (3 qbs) in the mix as well, in case of injury, could have also factored in.

It's the main reason I am disappointed by the Flacco signing. Now if AR goes down, it's live and die with Flacco.

There perhaps are some other rookie QBs out there besides Milton. Ill have to do my homework (as I always do) as the draft gets closer.

Whats interesting is that Milton is from Tennessee where Peyton is from.

Perhaps it  is destiny ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Wonder if colts can afford Diggs and Sneed.

Quandre Diggs is a vet presence but he is a shell of his prime self, had a very average year. There is a reason the Seahawks let him go, besides his cost.

9 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Colts better hold this Sneed thing works out.

Then you don’t know him. He is one of the few you can trust who has sources.

I'm sure he does I mean what do I know. Just seems like none of these lately are coming true. Just fuels fan fires... :yahoo:

Rumor going around that a deal will be announced soon for a player on a 2 year contract with 12 million guaranteed. Any guesses if true who it could be. Blackmon?

probably. 

• Like 1

Rumor going around that a deal will be announced soon for a player on a 2 year contract with 12 million guaranteed. Any guesses if true who it could be. Blackmon?

Blackmon or maybe Simmons?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think Simmons will be a lot more but could be wrong. Sounds like a ballpark for Blackmon. The person said it’s not Diggs.

I imagine if it's Blackmon then we're definitely waiting on Kansas to decide on Sneed. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That sounds like spin.  There is a good chance that those teams let their players go to specifically upgrade the position...Hunter for Grenard for example.  Is he saying that Grover, Franklin, and Moore were some of the best free agents at their positions?  I wouldn't know, but it I'll bet many here would not see that.  It might also mean it was simply a poor FA year.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Did YOU start this rumor?     

jk

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Diggs is a little older at 31 but is still good. I could live with him playing Safety. He has made the Pro-Bowl 3 times I believe. 

Diggs would be a good 1-2 year bridge safety, but i'd rather have Blackmon tbh