Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

Just now, Yoshinator said:

I believe they like him because he's a veteran and our best blocking TE. I think he's overpaid, but I guess we're keeping him.

it is true- he’s our only veteran blocking tight end. The others are raw and Granson is better utilized off the line, imo. I think the bowers talk is smoke and mirrors… One, that I don’t see him at 15, nor will we trade up for him over a receiver… and two, I think they really want to see what Woods (and the others) can do with #5… so hanging on to him isn’t such a bad idea to me. Although I agree he’s overpaid… 

• Like 1

Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

it is true- he’s our only veteran blocking tight end. The others are raw and Granson is better utilized off the line, imo. I think the bowers talk is smoke and mirrors… One, that I don’t see him at 15, nor will we trade up for him over a receiver… and two, I think they really want to see what Woods (and the others) can do with #5… so hanging on to him isn’t such a bad idea to me. Although I agree he’s overpaid… 

He is just fair at blocking, and makes like one catch per game

30 minutes ago, KB said:

I think bringing Snead in would give us an upgrade at the position and someone that would help with the development of Brents and Jones with his experience. Snead, Brents, and Moore as starting CBs with Flowers and Jones backing them up is a pretty good room IMO.

Snead excelled in a man based defense, he wouldn’t be the same here. He isn’t a Ramsey or Sherman who could play man or zone

2 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Right, which would mean, one of the others would have to get cut, and if they did draft a TE it would be two cuts.

Then Cox would be an unrestricted FA next year. Seems foolish to move forward with MAC to me

I believe Granson’s contract is also up at the end of the year so you are really in the same boat with him.  Someone is going to end up the odd man out.  Cox and Granson seem like the most likely candidates to me but the Colts also seem to like them the most so I dont know.

57 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

@w87r is keeping tabs in 

56 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

Thank you. I'll check it out. :thmup:

I have us estimated at:

2024 Cap Space:

Spotrac -  **estimate $29.8m

OtC - **estimate $26.2m

Have us with about $10m coming off the cap on 2024 with Sanchez and Moore, and (2) guys dropping off of top 52 at $915 each.

Will update numbers over there as available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

They like him.  I know fans don’t but they clearly do.  For the record I am not saying I am agreeing with them on liking him just answering why they are keeping him.

I think they release him soon. He just isn’t worth the $. They’ll wait to see if their FA hunting is successful or not. A pass rushing DE and a FS are likely targets, and if/when they sign, I expect Mo is gone. 

1 minute ago, w87r said:

I have us estimated at:

2024 Cap Space:

OtC - **estimate $26.2m

Have us with a out $10m coming off the cap on 2024 with Sanchez and Moore, and (2) guys dropping off of top 52 at $915 each.

Thanks, I appreciate the update! :thmup: Still room to sign a few FAs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, w87r said:

I have us estimated at:

2024 Cap Space:

OtC - **estimate $26.2m

Have us with a out $10m coming off the cap on 2024 with Sanchez and Moore, and (2) guys dropping off of top 52 at $915 each.

Bowing Down Waynes World GIF

• Like 1

Just now, Yoshinator said:

Thanks, I appreciate the update! :thmup: Still room to sign a few FAs.

We have plenty of space and plenty of ways to create more, rather easily, and future pain free.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Hoose said:

I think they release him soon. He just isn’t worth the $. They’ll wait to see if their FA hunting is successful or not. A pass rushing DE and a FS are likely targets, and if/when they sign, I expect Mo is gone. 

We’ll see I heard all last off-season people expected him gone too yet he’s still here.  Not ruling it out just saying I don’t think it’s a lock.

• w87r changed the title to Colts FA news (MERGE)
19 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I’m not sure a lot of people understand the top 51 rule of the cap. I didnt before this year, and still don’t pay enough attention to the rules to fully understand. 

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2020/6/2/21278326/nfl-top-51-rule-explained-how-much-cap-space-will-it-really-cost-to-sign-the-falcons-draft-class

this is from 2020, so it may be a bit outdated depending on what changes may have been made, but it does a good job breaking down how the rookies for the falcons that year counted toward the cap. 

It’s been stated on here multiple times every year over the years but people ignore it for some reason.  I’m sure we will have to state it again next year. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Only advantage is for MAC to get the best team fit in FA he can get and the most money he can get, to do good by him.

Kinda what I was thinking.  He’s really not the kinda player that goes in the first few days.  Maybe we’ll still release him in the next week or two…

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

We’ll see I heard all last off-season people expected him gone too yet he’s still here.  Not ruling it out just saying I don’t think it’s a lock.

A cheaper blocking TE is certainly gettable in FA  and just makes too much sense. The Colts need to put that precious cap space to better use. I hope and expect that they will. 

Just now, Hoose said:

A cheaper blocking TE is certainly gettable in FA  and just makes too much sense. The Colts need to put that precious cap space to better use. I hope and expect that they will. 

To you maybe.  Again, I am not against moving on from Mo I am just stating that the Colts clearly like him more than the fans do.  I heard the same stuff last off-season regarding Mo.  Yet he’s still here with Shane and Ballard going out of their way to speak highly of him in the past couple of weeks.

12 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Snead excelled in a man based defense, he wouldn’t be the same here. He isn’t a Ramsey or Sherman who could play man or zone

Sneed was one of the highest rated zone corners in the NFL last year.  People have been complaining about the Colts not disguising their coverages enough. A player like Sneed allows them to do that very thing. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Archer said:

Kinda what I was thinking.  He’s really not the kinda player that goes in the first few days.  Maybe we’ll still release him in the next week or two…

Mike Gesicki signed with the Bengals for 1 year $3.25 million, could have had him but then he took less than the previous year (1 year $9 mil. with the Patriots) only because it was Joe Burrow and the market wasn't great for TEs, just like it is subdued for RBs.

Just now, Hawkeyecolt said:

Sneed was one of the highest rated zone corners in the NFL last year.  People have been complaining about the Colts not disguising their coverages enough. A player like Sneed allows them to do that very thing. 

Yep, he was stellar in zone because McDuffie played as much man as Sneed and Sneed rarely took a bad step in zone. He is definitely a good fit and isn't just a man corner, he is versatile.

If he goes back to the Chiefs, they will restructure contracts and sign him, and that helps with their roster strength.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Ballard really likes his team and his players. Lets hope this is not one of those "do the same thing over and over again and expect different results" things... 

My opinion: Ballard is doing what he can to keep the defense serviceable but affordable so he can draft foundational pieces on offense. He's not focusing on defense, he just wants it to work so the team can build around Anthony Richardson this year. It makes sense to me.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Archer said:

He isn't a free agent.  He isn't going anywhere unless he  is cut or traded

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Yep, he was stellar in zone because McDuffie played as much man as Sneed and Sneed rarely took a bad step in zone. He is definitely a good fit and isn't just a man corner, he is versatile.

If he goes back to the Chiefs, they will restructure contracts and sign him, and that helps with their roster strength.

The Chiefs are really on the clock from my perspective. They have to be under the cap when the new league year starts tomorrow.  After Jones’s deal, getting Sneed dealt is important.  

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

I think we’re going for a bigger fish.  I did like him though.

my heart just broke, i wanted chinn w everything en my soul 

Just now, Hawkeyecolt said:

The Chiefs are really on the clock from my perspective. They have to be under the cap when the new league year starts tomorrow.  After Jones’s deal, getting Sneed dealt is important.  

Yeah, that is why they re-worked Mahomes' contract terms to the fact that they can restructure it as late as May from where it was, which was March.

That is like a silver bullet they use, restructuring Mahomes and Joe Thuney's contracts recently.