Conference Championship Weekend

chad72

Conference Championship Games  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which teams are you rooting for?

2. 2. Lions @ 49ers: Who wins?

3. 3. Chiefs @ Ravens: Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/28/2024 at 08:30 PM

AFC - Ravens vs Chiefs.

NFC - 49ers vs Lions.

Discuss. If there is a game that can get away from a team, it is the Chiefs vs Ravens, IMO. Ravens at home vs Lions, on the road vs 49ers, they have another gear they can get to and unlike years past, I don't think the Chiefs can match that this year, IMO. Ravens' strengths match very well vs the Chiefs' weaknesses and that is why it could be the first double digit conference championship game loss for Mahomes, IMO.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• NFLfan pinned this topic
42 minutes ago, chad72 said:

AFC - Ravens vs Chiefs.

NFC - 49ers vs Lions.

Discuss. If there is a game that can get away from a team, it is the Chiefs vs Ravens, IMO. Ravens at home vs Lions, on the road vs 49ers, they have another gear they can get to and unlike years past, I don't think the Chiefs can match that this year, IMO. Ravens' strengths match very well vs the Chiefs' weaknesses and that is why it could be the first double digit conference championship game loss for Mahomes, IMO.

I have said all year that Ravens looked primed for a SB run.  

I still think that they will, but Chiefs won't make it easy.  I dont know what it is, but.......Chiefs always seem to play well in the playoffs.  I look for both games this weekend to be competitive and good games.  SB should be a good one  no matter who the teams are.  I think the best of the best this year made it to the Conference games.

• Like 2

• NFLfan featured this topic

My personal favorite has always been Mahomes, after the Colts. I feel the Ravens win it but I’d be happy if Mahomes makes it again and similarly happy if the Lions make it on the other end. We will then have a repeat of the season opener against the Lions for the Chiefs, LOL, go figure. :) 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

My personal favorite has always been Mahomes, after the Colts. I feel the Ravens win it but I’d be happy if Mahomes makes it again and similarly happy if the Lions make it on the other end. We will then have a repeat of the season opener against the Lions for the Chiefs, LOL, go figure. :) 

Yes. I concur.

So many people hate him...

Personally, I feel like we're watching something really special.  He is definitely on the same level of some of the all time greats. I enjoy watching him.  There I said it. :hat:

• Like 4

Let me start off by saying, this is my favorite Sunday for Football. Not the SB, because you have 4 very good teams, trying to get to that great level. You have 2 games to watch instead of one as well. So, you get your football fix all day long. 

To this day, the best AFC Championship Game ever played was the Pats at Colts (2006 Season). You had Tom vs Peyton - arguably the 2 best ever to do it, both teams were loaded and playing great. Look at the players that were involved in that game: Patriots - Tom Brady (QB), Corey Dillon (RB), Matt Light (OT), Tedi Bruschi (LB), Willie McGinest (LB), Asante Samuel (CB), and they had BB as Coach. Colts - Peyton Manning (QB), Marvin Harrison (WR), Reggie Wayne (WR), Joe Addai (RB), Jeff Saturday (C), Dwight Freeney (DE), Bob Sanders (SS), Adam Vinatieri (K) with Tony Dungy as Coach. Colts won the game 38-34 as Peyton led the Colts on a game winning drive late in the 4th.

I think the best NFC Championship Game ever played was the Cowboys at 49ers (1981 Season). Cowboys were known as America's team and was led by (RB) Tony Dorsett, Danny White was a good (QB) and well respected too. On Defense they featured players like Ed 'Too Tall' Jones (DE), Randy White (DT), and Everson Walls (CB). The 49ers had the Elite Joe Montana at (QB) and had a monster at (SS) = Ronnie Lott. The coaches were Tom Landry for the Cowboys and Bill Walsh for the 49ers = a wash. The game lived up to its hype. The 49ers won the game 28-27 when Joe Montana hit Dwight Clark (WR) for a TD pass with :51 seconds left.

Here now is the 2023 Season: 

The AFC

Chiefs at Ravens - IMO, Pat Mahomes is a top 5 QB of all-time but the Chiefs are on the road and Lamar Jackson is the MVP this year. The Ravens also have the best defense in the league. I like the Ravens 24-23 by the skin of their teeth!

The NFC

Lions at 49ers - Lions are rolling right now, hardly nobody will give them a chance here. I am though, I think Goff (QB) for the Lions can match Purdy (QB) for the 49ers. I also like the Lions offensive weapons just as good as I like the 49ers weapons. Brown (WR), Laporta (TE), and Gibbs (RB), can match CMC (RB), Kittle (TE), and Deebo (WR) IMO. Coaching is a wash, Campbell for the Lions and Shannahan are pretty even. 49ers have the better defense, but the Lions look hungrier to me, 49ers struggled vs the Packers. My prediction - Lions win 23-20.

I voted, I am rooting for Ravens and Lions. I also voted they both will win.

• Like 2

Just now, JoeyBlueSkies said:

I voted for the Chiefs vs. the Lions.

I am very amused to see how little fanfare there is for the Niners. I spend time on their SB Nation blog, where the Super Bowl victory has already happened ...😂

They are going be arrogant because of their past and the Lions past but that is the past. Purdy is a good QB but he isn't Joe Montana or Steve Young. Lions can win this game no doubt. 

• Like 2

A little history.

In the 50s (before the merger) the Lions and Browns often battled it out for the NFL Championship.

The Lions' last title was in 1957 against the Browns. To get to the title game, my Lions had to travel to San Francisco to win the Conference, where they beat the Browns.

As we all know, the Browns franchise became the Ravens when Art Modell moved the team. The Browns moved to Baltimore which was previously abandoned by the Colts, who moved to Indianapolis.

That year, in the Western Conference the Colts, Niners, and Lions were all 7-4 in the regular season. Add in the Eastern Conference champion Browns, and these 4 franchises have a lot of ancient history with each other.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Let me start off by saying, this is my favorite Sunday for Football. Not the SB, because you have 4 very good teams, trying to get to that great level. You have 2 games to watch instead of one as well. So, you get your football fix all day long. 

To this day, the best AFC Championship Game ever played was the Pats at Colts (2006 Season). You had Tom vs Peyton - arguably the 2 best ever to do it, both teams were loaded and playing great. Look at the players that were involved in that game: Patriots - Tom Brady (QB), Corey Dillon (RB), Matt Light (OT), Tedi Bruschi (LB), Richard Seymour (DL), Asante Samuel (CB), and they had BB as Coach. Colts - Peyton Manning (QB), Marvin Harrison (WR), Reggie Wayne (WR), Joe Addai (RB), Jeff Saturday (C), Dwight Freeney (DE), Bob Sanders (SS), Adam Vinatieri (K) with Tony Dungy as Coach. Colts won the game 38-34 as Peyton led the Colts on a game winning drive late in the 4th.

I think the best NFC Championship Game ever played was the Cowboys at 49ers (1981 Season). Cowboys were known as America's team and was led by (RB) Tony Dorsett, Danny White was a good (QB) and well respected too. On Defense they featured players like Ed 'Too Tall' Jones (DE), Randy White (DT), and Everson Walls (CB). The 49ers had the Elite Joe Montana at (QB) and had a monster at (SS) = Ronnie Lott. The coaches were Tom Landry for the Cowboys and Bill Walsh for the 49ers = a wash. The game lived up to its hype. The 49ers won the game 28-27 when Joe Montana hit Dwight Clark (WR) for a TD pass with :51 seconds left.

Here now is the 2023 Season: 

The AFC

Chiefs at Ravens - IMO, Pat Mahomes is a top 5 QB of all-time but the Chiefs are on the road and Lamar Jackson is the MVP this year. The Ravens also have the best defense in the league. I like the Ravens 24-23 by the skin of their teeth!

The NFC

Lions at 49ers - Lions are rolling right now, hardly nobody will give them a chance here. I am though, I think Goff (QB) for the Lions can match Purdy (QB) for the 49ers. I also like the Lions offensive weapons just as good as I like the 49ers weapons. Brown (WR), Laporta (TE), and Gibbs (RB), can match CMC (RB), Kittle (TE), and Deebo (WR) IMO. Coaching is a wash, Campbell for the Lions and Shannahan are pretty even. 49ers have the better defense, but the Lions look hungrier to me, 49ers struggled vs the Packers. My prediction - Lions win 23-20.

I voted, I am rooting for Ravens and Lions. I also voted they both will win.

I do want to make one correction; I meant Richard Seymour not Willie McGinest was on the 2006 Patriots. Seymour was a key anchor on their D.line. Maybe I had McGinest on my mind after the 2003 and 2004 playoffs when he killed us lmao .

15 minutes ago, JoeyBlueSkies said:

A little history.

In the 50s (before the merger) the Lions and Browns often battled it out for the NFL Championship.

The Lions' last title was in 1957 against the Browns. To get to the title game, my Lions had to travel to San Francisco to win the Conference, where they beat the Browns.

As we all know, the Browns franchise became the Ravens when Art Modell moved the team. The Browns moved to Baltimore which was previously abandoned by the Colts, who moved to Indianapolis.

That year, in the Western Conference the Colts, Niners, and Lions were all 7-4 in the regular season. Add in the Eastern Conference champion Browns, and these 4 franchises have a lot of ancient history with each other.

Great stuff, I love the history of the NFL. 

• Like 1

The Detroit Lions are signing tight end Zach Ertz as they prepare for their NFC Championship Game against the San Francisco 49ers, a league source said.

Ertz is expected to start on Detroit’s practice squad but could be elevated ahead of this Sunday’s matchup, as the Lions’ No. 2 tight end, Brock Wright, suffered a forearm injury Sunday. Lions coach Dan Campbell said after the game that Wright’s injury “doesn’t look real good.”

Ertz was once really good. I don't know if he has much left now. The Lions are set at TE with LaPorta.

https://theathletic.com/5219249/2024/01/22/zach-ertz-lions-contract?source=user-shared-article

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

They are going be arrogant because of their past and the Lions past but that is the past. Purdy is a good QB but he isn't Joe Montana or Steve Young. Lions can win this game no doubt. 

Fans are fans. Chiefs fans can’t handle negativity about Mahomes, Bengals fans cant about Burrow, Bills fans can’t about Allen and so on.

Goff is 34-16 against the spread, best kept secret over the last few years in the entire league, best QB record against the spread and Mahomes against the spread is very good too, 8-3 as an underdog. Slam dunk money if you bet right now, 49ers getting 7 is criminal with how well Lions have played. Put in the money for against the spread and cash in, hands down.

Having said that, past week matters little towards next week. 49ers got the scare they needed and I expect them as a team not to take the Lions lightly at all after given the scare of their lives by a #7 seed and teams don’t make it to the conference championship by accident, they are not their fans. :) 

Ravens - they definitely won’t take a 2 times SB championship team lightly for sure. That’s why it’s going to be a great weekend of football.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Fans are fans. Chiefs fans can’t handle negativity about Mahomes, Bengals fans cant about Burrow, Bills fans can’t about Allen and so on.

Goff is 34-16 against the spread, best kept secret over the last few years in the entire league, best QB record against the spread and Mahomes against the spread is very good too, 8-3 as an underdog. Slam dunk money if you bet right now, 49ers getting 7 is criminal with how well Lions have played. Put in the money for against the spread and cash in, hands down.

Having said that, past week matters little towards next week. 49ers got the scare they needed and I expect them as a team not to take the Lions lightly at all after given the scare of their lives by a #7 seed and teams don’t make it to the conference championship by accident, they are not their fans. :) 

Ravens - they definitely won’t take a 2 times SB championship team lightly for sure. That’s why it’s going to be a great weekend of football.

What is the importance of a quarterbacks record against the spread?  Is it a good metric of consistency?

3 minutes ago, ArmchairQB said:

What is the importance of a quarterbacks record against the spread?  Is it a good metric of consistency?

It’s for betting in Vegas mainly.

Lions could lose by 3 and Chiefs could lose by 2 and both best the spreads but lose. 

I think the fact that the Lions team as built has literally climbed the mountain as a certain Colts coach used to love to say.  They knew how hard it was to get here and they are taking nothing for granted.  As where on the other hand the Niners are used to recent success and may almost expect it.  I think this plays into the Lions favor.  Not that I think the Niners will overlook them just that the Lions may be a bit hungrier.  

I think the Ravens are clearly the better team on paper.  Just like the Lions I think the Ravens may have a hunger the Chiefs don’t quite have.  But the Chiefs have Mahomes and as long as he is there they will always have a chance 

Rooting for some fresh blood and a Ravens Lions SB.  But should be a fun Sunday!

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

It’s for betting in Vegas mainly.

Lions could lose by 3 and Chiefs could lose by 2 and both best the spreads but lose

No I get that it’s a betting metric.  I often hear it used in the context of who is more likely to actually win and always wondered why that was viewed as a talking point to predict the winner outright. 

1 minute ago, ArmchairQB said:

I think the fact that the Lions team as built has literally climbed the mountain as a certain Colts coach used to love to say.  They knew how hard it was to get here and they are taking nothing for granted.  As where on the other hand the Niners are used to recent success and may almost expect it.  I think this plays into the Lions favor.  Not that I think the Niners will overlook them just that the Lions may be a bit hungrier.  

I think the Ravens are clearly the better team on paper.  Just like the Lions I think the Ravens may have a hunger the Chiefs don’t quite have.  But the Chiefs have Mahomes and as long as he is there they will always have a chance 

Rooting for some fresh blood and a Ravens Lions SB.  But should be a fun Sunday!

Hmmm…49ers remember their NFCCG shellacking last year, most guys are the same. Past success or failure isn’t a good predictor of game day success or hunger, even if the emotional side of ours might think so. :) 

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Hmmm…49ers remember their NFCCG shellacking last year, most guys are the same. Past success or failure isn’t a good predictor of game day success or hunger, even if the emotional side of ours might think so. :) 

True

2 minutes ago, ArmchairQB said:

No I get that it’s a betting metric.  I often hear it used in the context of who is more likely to actually win and always wondered why that was viewed as a talking point to predict the winner outright. 

It just reinforces the fact that a game will be closer than the Vegas odds given, that’s all

• Thanks 1

I'm rooting for the Chiefs because I cannot stand the Ravens.  

Rooting for the Lions but wouldn't be too sad to see Purdy win the game.  

i think the Ravens and 49rs will win though.

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

AFC - Ravens vs Chiefs.

NFC - 49ers vs Lions.

I’m bettin on the Ravens Vs 49ers… why, cause of the screenshot below announcing that Reba was playing the anthem at the superbowl featuring the Ravens v 49ers…. Not saying it’s rigged but man it will be hilarious if it’s true

IMG_3436.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

I'm rooting for the Chiefs because I cannot stand the Ravens.  

Rooting for the Lions but wouldn't be too sad to see Purdy win the game.  

i think the Ravens and 49rs will win though.

I’m rooting against the Chiefs all day long. I’m so sick of seeing that blonde bean pole and ten pounds of pasty makeup every time the play is over.  4 quarters of football and I counted 11 times that they panned to her and Mahomes wife. And I missed the first 10 minutes of the 1st quarter!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I’m rooting against the Chiefs all day long. I’m so sick of seeing that blonde bean pole and ten pounds of pasty makeup every time the play is over.  4 quarters of football and I counted 11 times that they panned to her and Mahomes wife. And I missed the first 10 minutes of the 1st quarter!

I'm not a swift fan but it could be worse.  At least she seems genuinely interested in the football game.

I cannot root for the Ravens at all.  Maholmes seems like a good humble man.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I’m bettin on the Ravens Vs 49ers… why, cause of the screenshot below announcing that Reba was playing the anthem at the superbowl featuring the Ravens v 49ers…. Not saying it’s rigged but man it will be hilarious if it’s true

IMG_3436.jpeg

That settles it.

Lock this Thread! 

25 minutes ago, csmopar said:

IMG_3436.jpeg

Someone goofed lmao 

To me the Chiefs winning a lot doesn't bother me too much. Do I want them to win the Super Bowl every year = NO, but them winning isn't anywhere near as bad as the Patriots winning the way they did. That became very annoying. It is probably because with me, it happened a lot during the Peyton and Luck era. They also are known cheaters, Mahomes and Reid are more like Peyton and Dungy, very likeable. Mahomes seems like a good kid to me. Anyone that can put up with his wife and brother the way he does has to be a decent man Season 4 GIF by The Simpsons.

• Like 3

I want the Lions to win but there is one player on their team that I think is a dirty player, Kirby Joseph. He goes after players' knees and has been involved in head to head plays. He ended Tyler Higbee's season as well as that of TJ Hockenson by hitting them below the knees.

I agree with JJ here:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, chad72 said:

Ravens' strengths match very well vs the Chiefs' weaknesses and that is why it could be the first double digit conference championship game loss for Mahomes, IMO.

I agree.. I think the Ravens handle everyone left. What they did last week without their top corner was scary.

But at the same time I don't care who wins. I like Mahomes too. I'm not on the train of getting sick of them. I've said multiple times. 20 years!! ..  20 years of Tom Brady/Patriots/Belichick... Mahomes and the Chiefs have been such a pallet cleanser!! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I want the Lions to win but there is one player on their team that I think is a dirty player, Kirby Joseph. He goes after players' knees and has been involved in head to head plays. He ended Tyler Higbee's season as well as that of TJ Hockenson by hitting them below the knees.

I agree with JJ here:

Social media gone beyond belief and common decency

12 hours ago, csmopar said:

IMG_3436.jpeg

Probably photoshopped the words

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

Orrrrr did they? serious the simpsons GIF

Not adding to any conspiracy theories but there is a LOT of money betted in Vegas for 49ers to win the SB, not just make it.

Hmmm..... :) 

• Like 1

Lions play hard. No apologies for legal hits.

As many former players have said on Twitter, the rules now necessitate DBs hitting guys low. Too many bad QBs throw hospital balls. Goff threw a hospital ball in his first game as a Lion and ended Tyrell William's career in San Francisco. Stafford has been throwing hospital balls since Georgia. Note, Calvin Johnson retired in his prime because his body was wrecked from playing with Stafford.

Tom Brady has talked about how QBs have to protect their pass catchers with where they throw.

I understand fans of teams that take these hits being mad. That doesn't change that the hit is legal and therefore not dirty.

If you don't want to get hurt, stay away from the middle of the field. Like when Steve Atwater and Ronnie Lott played the game.