Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pittman wants to explore options

w87r

57 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I bet the Chiefs would give their right arm for Michael Pittman right now with all their struggles at WR.  

also yeah he had better numbers than the Ravens, Packers, and, Steelers number one WR and similar numbers to the Bucs, Browns, Bills, and, Texans number one WR.  

so the numbers say he would have been the number one WR on about half the teams in the playoffs.

Numbers don’t tell the entire story. 

pittman is rather inconsistent. He’ll have an explosive game or two, then completely disappear like what we saw with Houston.  That’s my primary issue with him. Some of that might be because no one else is a threat and the D doubles him or schemes to take him away. 

that said, I think if you’re Chris Ballard, you put the non-exclusive tag on him at 2 firsts. gives you the flexibility to let him explore his options and see what the balance sheet that comes back is. 

im not opposed to offering him somewhere in the 20-25 mill per year average as long as it includes a quick out if we need it or incentives to make sure he plays to it. 

Just now, csmopar said:

pittman is rather inconsistent. He’ll have an explosive game or two, then completely disappear like what we saw with Houston.  That’s my primary issue with him. Some of that might be because no one else is a threat and the D doubles him or schemes to take him away. 

that said, I think if you’re Chris Ballard, you put the non-exclusive tag on him at 2 firsts. gives you the flexibility to let him explore his options and see what the balance sheet that comes back is. 

im not opposed to offering him somewhere in the 20-25 mill per year average as long as it includes a quick out if we need it or incentives to make sure he plays to it. 

Don’t you think that probably has to do with the QB. 

4 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Good.   I really dont think Steichen is overly invested in Pittman. He wants more explosive receivers that fits what Richardson is capable of doing. He is a good receiver and not worth near what Pittman wants. I don't think there will be a robust market for Pittman and  I think he is going to find that out. I put all chips in for Higgins

You’re not reading this thread.  

Theres already been a post saying Joe Burrow structured his big new deal so the Bengals could keep Higgins.  And that Cincinnati promised Burrow they’d keep him.  Higgins isn’t happening. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

In order to get a chance vs Houston you’d have to throw the ball which the Colts didn’t virtually the whole second half and the few times they did it went to him for the most part.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

Thats exactly what happened with Denico Autry. 

If you remember, he wasnt elite, his production could be replaced much cheaper and thats pretty much what happened. Ballard replaced him with Justin Houston, who produced. He replaced Houston with Ngakoue, who also produced. And then he replaced Ngakoue with Ebukam, who produced as well. 

But Autry has played very well in Tennessee and everytime he has a good game, it was basically an example of Ballards incompetence. 

Ballard let Houston and Autry walk at the same time if I remember.

• Like 2

you cannot let pittman walk unless you sign a young veteran who is just as good .   the colts cant roll the dice on a premium position with a young QB playing next year .   draft is not a sure bet and if we replace pittman with a rookie and the rookie struggles we will have two starting wrs who are bad .

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Don’t you think that probably has to do with the QB. 

Somewhat yes. But don’t interpret my constructive criticism as me saying not to bring him back. 

I just saying he has flaws to improve on and I hope he will. And I hope that it is in a Colts uniform next year. We need him and we need another dynamic WR. If we get both, and they play like they should, we can make a run

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

In order to get a chance vs Houston you’d have to throw the ball which the Colts didn’t virtually the whole second half and the few times they did it went to him for the most part.

Perhaps but he was also blanketed and not open .

irregardless, I hope Ballard finds a way to bring him back

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Somewhat yes. But don’t interpret my constructive criticism as me saying not to bring him back. 

I just saying he has flaws to improve on and I hope he will. And I hope that it is in a Colts uniform next year. We need him and we need another dynamic WR. If we get both, and they play like they should, we can make a run

Flaws? I think he is a leetty good all around good WR. I don’t see flaws. The inconsistency comes from having all the QB. He has actually been remarkably consistent with all these different QB. He was ten yards from 3 straight 1k yard seasons with all the changing QB.

3 hours ago, Superman said:

There are two differences between Higgins and Pittman. The first is named Joe Burrow, and the second is named Jamarr Chase. 

They have the same size profile, and Pittman's pre-draft workout numbers were more dynamic (Pittman worked the Combine; Chase worked pro day, which is usually more favorable than the Combine). Higgins might have a slightly faster top speed. Neither of these guys are taking the top off the defense.

They're basically the same guy. The difference is that Pittman is the #1 guy on his team, and hasn't had good QBing, while Chase is the #2 guy, and plays with an All World QB. They'll probably command the same kind of contract.

You really think Higgins is the Bengals WR1 and Chase is the WR2?    Or did I misunderstand you?   

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Perhaps but he was also blanketed and not open .

irregardless, I hope Ballard finds a way to bring him back

You can’t be blanketed on run plays.  The Colts called very few pass plays in the second half and at least a couple of those went his way.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You really think Higgins is the Bengals WR1 and Chase is the WR2?    Or did I misunderstand you?   

I think the chase as a number two was a typo and he meant Higgins.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Mike Bluem…

Yes…. But Ballard and Irsay will be heavily involved.   Their voices are the most important.   They give Bluem parameters so he knows what the Colts will and won’t do.  

Watching the NC game. (I never watch college football)    Is it me or is Odunze  the exact player that Pitt is?   Because he's (according to the broadcasters) one of the best receivers in college FB 

I see a lot of you mentioning him.   So I have been watching him. 

Just curious.  What are your thoughts?

6 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Watching the NC game. (I never watch college football)    Is it me or is Odunze  the exact player that Pitt is?   Because he's (according to the broadcasters) one of the best receivers in college FB 

I have said the same thing. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, csmopar said:

That’s a really good idea. 

12 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Odunze seems to be having a good game so far, could have been better if there wasn’t the gold on his big gain or when Penix over threw him. It’s encouraging though that he has been getting open against a very good college defense. 

I believe Odunze is same size but faster he can run a 4.34 while Pittman is a 4.52 guy. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

You can say that but it doesn’t seem true. When he had a QB like wentz with a big arm he was a big downfield threat. He is good at the underneath stuff opening things up for others. He has had how many QB? 

Just curious if people thought this way about Michael Thomas? They are basically the same player. Catch everything too. 

Market value is market value. Can’t do anything about that.

About your last sentence….   

“Market value is market value.   Can’t do anything about that.”

I need to clarify something.   Unless I’m not understanding your meaning, this viewpoint is incorrect.  Market value disputes are the number one reason good players leave franchises.   

The player thinks he’s worth X.  But the team thinks he’s worth 20 to 30 percent less, maybe more.   That gap is why players leave and teams let them.  

Pittman likely wants to be paid like a WR1.   But the Colts may want to pay him like a low WR1 or a high WR2.   There’s the gap.  

By the way, the two websites that analyze market value (Spotrac and PFF) often disagree on market value.   Which says there are various ways to crunch numbers.  

Eventually, I think if we don’t sign him, I think the Colts tag him then work out a multi-year deal that lowers his cap hit so it works for both sides.  That’s win-win. 

As always the keys are the signing bonus and the guarantees.    I think Pitt stays. 

Sorry this went so long. 

12 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

That’s a really good idea. 

Odunze seems to be having a good game so far, could have been better if there wasn’t the gold on his big gain or when Penix over threw him. It’s encouraging though that he has been getting open against a very good college defense. 

I believe Odunze is same size but faster he can run a 4.34 while Pittman is a 4.52 guy. 

I had to look it up to see if 4:34 was fast for a WR.     So I looked up Marv SR and he was a 4:38.    So wow

Just now, ChuggaBeer said:

I had to look it up to see if 4:34 was fast for a WR.     So I looked up Marv SR and he was a 4:38.    So wow

Yeah, he ran a 4.34 this last offseason. He’s got some serious speed. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Jamar Chase had......

3 catches for 19 yards against the Colts

9 catches for 58 yards and against the Browns over 2 games

7 catches for 43 yards against the Ravens over 2 games

3 catches for 41 against the Chiefs 

Pittman had 5 catches for 44 yards against Houston.

All receivers have big games and other games where they struggle.

• Like 1

I think Colrs need to still find that 4th WR. They were lucky this year with injuries. If they don’t draft one I think bringing Campbell back as that 4th guy would be a good move. His agent gave him bad advice after last season and it cost him money. He still has his house in Indy where he will spend the offseason. The 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes…. But Ballard and Irsay will be heavily involved.   Their voices are the most important.   They give Bluem parameters so he knows what the Colts will and won’t do.  

Of course. Ultimately Ballard's going to be the one with the decision. It doesn't appear that Irsay is super involved in overruling him on contracts and coaches. Even with trading up to draft Taylor in 2020, it was Irsay that pushed him to do, but it was just a nudge "if you want him, just do it." 

Bluem does the dirty work and has more knowledge of the capspace and the contracts/market for players than anyone in the building, without any doubt. It's not his call to put the contracts in front of players and to manage the roster. It's his job to do the dirty work and have the knowledge at hand so that Ballard and company can decide what is best. 

In the "with the first pick series" that they highlighted him, Ballard says along the lines of "I always seek his opinion and how he feels, I might not always agree with him." He doesn't have to agree, but he has to know what he thinks, because it would be insane not to know his breakdown and why he feels the way he does. Bluem is forming his opinions on understanding the organization's roster building and contract principles, but with a higher knowledge of the cap situation, the moves they can make, and the rules that tie it all together. Bluem talks in that bit about how cash is king regarding the makeup of contracts. The cap is just an accounting method, and it will catch up to if you aren't prudent with it, but it's not everything. There's a clip of him on the phone flat out saying "I can tell you right now, I don't think we'd be in that market."

He's legit doing the negotiating and dirty work. He will know the parameters (because he'll be the one presenting the numbers before the negotiations even begin of what he believes they can or cannot afford) and will be in the back and forth discussions of what the market is. What Ballard is really good at is not committing to overpaying right off the bat. He's so convicted in being patient and disciplined in not throwing numbers recklessly, especially if they are unsure. "Go explore and find what your market is." That's his way of saying, we are already confident in the assessment we have and you are way off. But if you can get it, then you better take it.

Ballard has gushed about Pittman in the past.  He’s not going anywhere.  Whether he’s a #1 or a great #2 he’s a very good football player who is only 26 years old and the Colts need good football players. Top #2 receivers get paid a healthy amount these days too. Ballard hasn’t used the franchise tag much if at all but he will use it on Pittman. Pitt waited his turn. He didn’t act like Moore or JT.  He’s going to get paid by Ballard.  It would be a big loss to the WR room and the locker room. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goatface Killah said:

Jamar Chase had......

3 catches for 19 yards against the Colts

9 catches for 58 yards and against the Browns over 2 games

7 catches for 43 yards against the Ravens over 2 games

3 catches for 41 against the Chiefs 

Pittman had 5 catches for 44 yards against Houston.

All receivers have big games and other games where they struggle.

It’s just a sign of what some fans do.  They nitpick their own and expose that the Colts player isn’t perfect (which no player is even the great Peyton Manning had flaws) focus in on those flaws and only those flaws because they get tunnel vision on it and then use that to justify saying this player isn’t worth X because he can’t do Z while ignoring the rest of the alphabet of the things that player can do or taking them for granted.  Then they see highlight of another player and go oh I want that without studying that players flaws nearly to the level they did of the Colts player.  That’s only natural because they aren’t fans of the team the other player plays for so they of course they don’t follow him as close.

I saw it for years when the Colts had Harrison and Wayne and then later Wayne and Hilton all fans wanted was a big physical position WR to the point people questioned if Hilton was a number one because he couldn’t be a position WR and all he could do is catch deep passes down the field.  Now the Colts have their position WR and some fans want to show him the door because he’s not a true number one (even though he’s one of four Colts receivers in history to have 100 catches in a season and one of 27 or 28 WRs to go over 1000 yards with a backup QB most of the season) because he can’t go deep like TY Hilton.  

Not every WR can do everything.  No Pittman isn’t the best WR in the NFL but he’s a darn good one.  Not every team in the league can have a top 10 WR.  So if you don’t of course you keep looking for one but you don’t toss a really good one a way while you look.  Keeping Pittman doesn’t prevent the Colts from adding to the WR room.  They could easily still draft one in the first or second round.  The key is add to it so you have as many weapons as you can for Richardson.  

How good do you think Reggie Wayne would have been if when he came along the Colts went sorry Marvin we don’t need you anymore?  How good would Hilton have been if the Colts went sorry Reggie we drafted this Hilton kid we don’t need you anymore.  You want as many good receivers as you can get and when you have a darn good one like Pittman you keep him and look to add a complementary player.  They added one in a slot guy in Downs.  What they are missing is the burner which they hope Pierce will be.  There is evidence to suggest simply keeping Richardson healthy will get him to be that but if not you draft a guy who can compete with him.  Say that kid works out or Pierce figures it out.  That would be one deadly WR room that says pick your poison.  Now add Richardson and Taylor running and Shane’s creative mind and that’s an offense a lot of teams won’t want to face.  

I don’t know about most of you but I prefer that over the option of well we don’t want to pay Pittman so we will let one third of the offenses production last year leave and we will depend on Pierce to be our number one next year with Downs as our only proven WR coming back and really hope this rookie the Colts draft works outs, which he might not, look at Moncrief, Dorrsett, and Campbell as examples.  Being drafted high doesn’t guarantee success.  You don’t make the room better by getting rid of the best player you have in there and hope you can find someone else who can give you the production you are already getting.

Pittman is a good player and good players cost money.  That’s just the way it is.  Will he probably get paid more than people think his performance is worth?  Yes he will but that’s how contracts work in the NFL.  One guy gets a contact the next guy comes along and gets a bigger one so on and so on.  That’s why I said the numbers don’t matter.  It’s how it’s structured and one thing that’s been common during Ballard’s time as GM is when you see the structure of the contract it almost always favors the Colts and gives them flexibility.  I see no reason to think Pittman’s contract won’t ultimately follow the same pattern.  

I also find it ironic that so many of the same fans who like call Ballard bargain bin Ballard and mock him for not spending money are the same ones saying don’t pay your good players!  Who’s really the cheap one?

:rantoff:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jake Querry had a very good point today. It’s not Pittman they have to make a decision on. Pittman has done enough to get his money from colts. The bigger question is they have to decide if pierce is good enough to be the number two. They have to determine if it’s purred inconsistent or it’s been the QB arm. If they can say they don’t think Pierce is Pittman robin then they do need to upgrade from Pierce.  If they think Pierce is that 2 then they don’t really need another WR.

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Jake Querry had a very good point today. It’s not Pittman they have to make a decision on. Pittman has done enough to get his money from colts. The bigger question is they have to decide if pierce is good enough to be the number two. They have to determine if it’s purred inconsistent or it’s been the QB arm. If they can say they don’t think Pierce is Pittman robin then they do need to upgrade from Pierce.  If they think Pierce is that 2 then they don’t really need another WR.

People dont want to let a guy develop anymore. I think Pierce has a lot of talent and its way too soon to give up on him. 

He has things he needs to work on. Thats for sure. But he can be a weapon, I have no doubt about that. 

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

How are you writing about the wide receiver room without saying the name Josh Downs?    As it stands today, Pitt is WR1,  Downs is WR2,  and Pierce is WR3. 

Whether it comes from FA, or the draft the chances are incredibly high that there WILL be a new WR on the Colts next season.   The odds that the Colts would return next year with the same WR room are almost zero. 

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

How are you writing about the wide receiver room without saying the name Josh Downs?    As it stands today, Pitt is WR1,  Downs is WR2,  and Pierce is WR3. 

Whether it comes from FA, or the draft the chances are incredibly high that there WILL be a new WR on the Colts next season.   The odds that the Colts would return next year with the same WR room are almost zero. 

I know I mentioned Downs.  He’s their slot guy which is important but it’s kinda a specialized position like Moore is their slot corner.  Can still be a very good and very important player but fans are really looking at the outside WRs which is why Downs is getting left out.  Doesn’t mean Downs can’t develop into an outside WR, Hilton did, he’s just not there yet.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You really think Ballard lets Pittman walk out the front door?   For nothing?!?   

I think the Colts would tag Pitt and try to work out a longer deal with a lower cap hit. 

He is going to be here. I think we both know that. If you can play Ballard will usually find a way to keep you. I'm just talking on the small chance he did leave. Most have wanted more speed and explosive traits at the #1 receiver. I said me personally if he left I wouldn't be afraid to groom a higher upside younger player from the draft who had the traits most have wanted. I

33 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I know I mentioned Downs.  He’s their slot guy which is important but it’s kinda a specialized position like Moore is their slot corner.  Can still be a very good and very important player but fans are really looking at the outside WRs which is why Downs is getting left out.  Doesn’t mean Downs can’t develop into an outside WR, Hilton did, he’s just not there yet.  

I was only referring to Chloe, certainly not you.   But when we, as a community, talk about our receivers, Downs is often left out.  It’s as if his catches, his first downs,  his TD’s, don’t count as much because he’s not an X, he’s only a Z.    

And him being our WR2 is not my opinion, his stats say so.   He's our WR2 by a wide margin.   Now, it may not always be that way, things could change after we see what the Colts do in FA or the draft.  But as a poster, I often feel like I have to remind people that we have Downs, and he’s really good whether he ever plays outside or not.  

Hope that clarifies my thoughts. 

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

He is going to be here. I think we both know that. If you can play Ballard will usually find a way to keep you. I'm just talking on the small chance he did leave. Most have wanted more speed and explosive traits at the #1 receiver. I said me personally if he left I wouldn't be afraid to groom a higher upside younger player from the draft who had the traits most have wanted 

Id like a true WR1 with more speed and explosiveness.   But I’d like to keep Pitt as well.   I think the Colts can do both.   At least, that’s my hope. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I was only referring to Chloe, certainly not you.   But when we, as a community, talk about our receivers, Downs is often left out.  It’s as if his catches, his first downs,  his TD’s, don’t count as much because he’s not an X, he’s only a Z.    

And him being our WR2 is not my opinion, his stats say so.   He's our WR2 by a wide margin.   Now, it may not always be that way, things could change after we see what the Colts do in FA or the draft.  But as a poster, I often feel like I have to remind people that we have Downs, and he’s really good whether he ever plays outside or not.  

Hope that clarifies my thoughts. 

I believe he gets left out because he has solid control over the slot position and isn't a question mark for our offense, while the two outside positions have question marks. Will Pittman get resigned and at what price? Is Pierce a starting outside WR?

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Id like a true WR1 with more speed and explosiveness.   But I’d like to keep Pitt as well.   I think the Colts can do both.   At least, that’s my hope. 

I was hoping Woods and Ogletree could be like Gronk and Hernandez at TE but  that is unlikely now with Ogletree charges. If it happened I wouldn't mind something like getting Bowers in Rd 1 and picking up an athletic speed player with hands in Rd 2 to play opposite Pittman. Just thinking out loud

11 minutes ago, krunk said:

I was hoping Woods and Ogletree could be like Gronk and Hernandez at TE but  that is unlikely now with Ogletree charges. If it happened I wouldn't mind something like getting Bowers in Rd 1 and picking up an athletic speed player with hands in Rd 2 to play opposite Pittman. Just thinking out loud

Regarding Bowers, or Brockers, or whatever his name is….   

He’s not a Y, a traditional in-line tight end who blocks and receives.   He’s an F, a receiving tight end who can block a little.  

Woods is a Y, so was Ogletree, so is Allie-Cox.     So that position went from fully stocked to quite bare pretty quick.   Granson and Mallory are F’s.    I don’t know what we will do, all I know is Bowers or Brockers isn’t a Y.   He can clearly help, but not where we need him most. 

• Like 1

Irsay will probably pay him too much like he has done for many colts players that fans, like him, like. Let’s see what other teams offer, I wouldn’t pay him close to top wr money. Having a top receiver is over rated, a top qb will make a receiver more than a receiver will make a qb. If you have a top qb, you don’t need the top wr, and if you don’t have the top qb, you aren’t winning anyway.

11 hours ago, w87r said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/michael-pittman-jr-ive-loved-my-time-with-colts-but-want-to-explore-options

"“I made it this far, so I’ve loved my four years here. But I wouldn’t be doing my due diligence if I didn’t explore every option and find the best fit,” Pittman said, via Stephen Holder of ESPN.com""

He also mentioned that he didn’t feel like he was being utilized to the best of his abilities. Would love to be used downfield more. As well as he had to go to Shane and demand more targets. So that is why he is exploring his options he doesn’t know that this offense is exactly ideal for him he would like to see what else is out there. I don’t blame him , but it would suck to lose Pitt.