Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Gay the highest paid kicker in the NFL

It was fantastic the first half of the season but we’ve all witnessed him being a little errant. I disagreed with Steichen going for a 56 yard field goal because it basically gifted Houston three points but if you hit the goal you have to get the field goal just my opinion.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

It was fantastic the first half of the season but we’ve all witnessed him being a little errant. I disagreed with Steichen going for a 56 yard field goal because it basically gifted Houston three points but if you hit the goal you have to get the field goal just my opinion.

Should have punted

• Like 2

Don't think he was a bad signing.

At the end of the day, paying a kicker $5 million a year versus $3 is only an overpayment by $2, a negligible difference in the salary cap by today's price standards.

Not to mention almost all of his misses are :

- narrow misses (hit the upright)

- long distance of 56 yards or more

- while partially injured

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Should have punted

if we are using hindsight, then had he made it, we could have tied at the end instead of going for it on 4th and 1. He had just made a 50 plus yarder at the end of first half. It had the distance, just a few inches too far right.

Steichen trusts his players. What else is he supposed to do? 

• Like 1

I don't understand why people make.a big deal about him being the highest paid when a kicker is such a small percentage of the cap. Really, where anyone ranks in being paid. They're all paid too much.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

if we are using hindsight, then had he made it, we could have tied at the end instead of going for it on 4th and 1. He had just made a 50 plus yarder at the end of first half. It had the distance, just a few inches too far right.

First, he needs a crystal ball so that he can go into the future and see if it will work or not.

Then, come back in hindsight, call something different. Come on man, that is the answer to everything on this forum. :) 

14 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Had a bad hip at least part of the back half of the season as it showed up on the injury report.  I am not going to hammer any kicker for missing a 57 yard kick.  

Exactly. If you’re mad at a kicker for barely missing a 57 yard field goal who’s been battling a hip injury, then your expectations are way too unrealistic. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KB said:

I don't understand why people make.a big deal about him being the highest paid when a kicker is such a small percentage of the cap. Really, where anyone ranks in being paid. They're all paid too much.

When he made those four 50 yarders versus the Ravens, no one questioned it. I think he is worth the money and even Justin Tucker could have missed that 57 yarder, but John Harbaugh would have still trusted him, even with a bad hip.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Trust your defense.  Missing the fg was basically guaranteed points for the Texans.   I'm not sure historically what the percentage of a 56 yard fg is.  I'm guessing it isn't high.   I'm not blaming the loss on that.   I think SS is gonna be a good coach.   

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Trust your defense.  Missing the fg was basically guaranteed points for the Texans.   I'm not sure historically what the percentage of a 56 yard fg is.  I'm guessing it isn't high.   I'm not blaming the loss on that.   I think SS is gonna be a good coach.   

couldn’t you say he was trusting his defense to keep them out of fieldgoal range on a short field by taking the chance for points? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

couldn’t you say he was trusting his defense to keep them out of fieldgoal range on a short field by taking the chance for points? 

It was a difference of 14 yards, correct? If it is a fair catch, you get it at the 25, and with this missed FG, they got it at the 39, correct? Yeah, we could pin them at the 10 to 15 yard range and gain another 10 yards but Bradley was blitzing yesterday and mixing it up, I felt. Just that we did not make enough plays. 

Just now, chad72 said:

It was a difference of 14 yards, correct? If it is a fair catch, you get it at the 25, and with this missed FG, they got it at the 39, correct? 

Yeah. That’s one play to Nico Collins. Unless it’s 3rd and 35, then it’s worth more. 

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

It was a difference of 14 yards, correct? If it is a fair catch, you get it at the 25, and with this missed FG, they got it at the 39, correct? 

Fair catch is where it is caught not at 25 yard line on punts. Rigo could have pinned them down deep even 1 yard line.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Punt and put them inside the 10 

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

It was a difference of 14 yards, correct? If it is a fair catch, you get it at the 25, and with this missed FG, they got it at the 39, correct? Yeah, we could pin them at the 10 to 15 yard range and gain another 10 yards but Bradley was blitzing yesterday and mixing it up, I felt. Just that we did not make enough plays. 

That’s true on a kickoff not a punt otherwise no one ever gets pins inside the 5 yard line

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Punt and put them inside the 10 

True but he is not the Tom Coughlin style of coach. I can see Tom Coughlin do that because he had a D he could trust. 

9 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Fair catch is where it is caught not at 25 yard line on punts. Rigo could have pinned them down deep even 1 yard line.

Stroud could have thrown a 99 yard td to Nico Collins the very next play too could he not? 

rigo could have shanked it or punted it into the endzone. We can go on and on. Had a chance for points. Was inches from getting them. Would have been awfully nice. 

• Like 1

Personally, I appreciate Steichen’s going for it, “play to win” attitude. It doesn’t always work but I wish his predecessors would have had more of it. 

Reich, Pagano, even Dungy- they all would have punted. 

Also, I think SS clearly had very little confidence in Minshew’s ability to get us points. And he was right. 

• Like 1

When he kicked all those long fg’s against the ravens everyone was saying how great it was. Not one person said the colts should have punted instead. Now he misses one and so many are flip flopping. I can’t take any of their opinions seriously. Anything that works is great and anything that doesn’t is the worst decision ever. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fat Clemenza said:

Personally, I appreciate Steichen’s going for it, “play to win” attitude. It doesn’t always work but I wish his predecessors would have had more of it. 

Reich, Pagano, even Dungy- they all would have punted. 

Also, I think SS clearly had very little confidence in Minshew’s ability to get us points. And he was right. 

oh you know damn well that pagano with Andrew luck under center and 4th and 4 or under on the scoring side of the field would have punted… with viniateri as kicker too. Pat McAfee influenced that some, though, so I won’t be too hard on that. 

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Stroud could have thrown a 99 yard td to Nico Collins the very next play too could he not? 

rigo could have shanked it or punted it into the endzone. We can go on and on. Had a chance for points. Was inches from getting them. Would have been awfully nice. 

Doesnt change the fact that the fair catch wouldn't come to the 25 as posted.

49 minutes ago, husker61 said:

When he kicked all those long fg’s against the ravens everyone was saying how great it was. Not one person said the colts should have punted instead. Now he misses one and so many are flip flopping. I can’t take any of their opinions seriously. Anything that works is great and anything that doesn’t is the worst decision ever. 

I think the main difference was Gay was hitting them back then and has been missing them of late (Even missed last week vs Raiders and we got a fortunate off sides to re kick in what did not appear to be off sides at all as has been mentioned many times). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

I think the main difference was Gay was hitting them back then and has been missing them of late (Even missed last week vs Raiders and we got a fortunate off sides to re kick in what did not appear to be off sides at all as has been mentioned many times). 

he had just drilled a 52 at the end of the 1st half… 

We wanted to take a lead, and everyone on here would have punted… give me a break. The hindsight bias is so strong on this forum. Hilarious 

• Like 1

he had just drilled a 52 at the end of the 1st half… 

END OF HALF, you said a mouthful there. Risk/Reward much lower allowing points in that situation and no need to punt. Common sense call on that one.

END OF HALF, you said a mouthful there. Risk/Reward much lower allowing points in that situation and no need to punt. Common sense call on that one.

Raiders game missed 50 yard fg then the flag with the questionable offside

Steelers game 2 games before that missed 2 fgs

Bengals game the previous missed fg and PAT

35 seconds left. He misses, it’s the same situation. No difference in risk/reward. The reward is points when your qb can’t convert 3rd down or in the redzone. The risk is missing and still not being able to score as the game went on… Points were needed. Punts were not. The mouthful that you should have focused on was that our kicker proved he could make it, and had the leg, just missed by inches. 

Just now, holeymoley99 said:

Raiders game missed 50 yard fg then the flag with the questionable offside

Steelers game 2 games before that missed 2 fgs

Bengals game the previous missed fg and PAT

you are using recency bias, when if you are truly using recency bias, you should be focused on the made 50 plus yarder within the same game… 

Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

35 seconds left. He misses, it’s the same situation. No difference in risk/reward. The reward is points when your qb can’t convert 3rd down or in the redzone. The risk is missing and still not being able to score as the game went on… Points were needed. Punts were not. The mouthful that you should have focused on was that our kicker proved he could make it, and had the leg, just missed by inches. 

No difference wow, yeah HUGE difference. Team would have 30 seconds to try and move into position to score not a full drive worth of time.

you are using recency bias, when if you are truly using recency bias, you should be focused on the made 50 plus yarder within the same game… 

Are you deny the stats, not sure why makes zero sense if so

Just now, holeymoley99 said:

No difference wow, yeah HUGE difference. Team would have 30 seconds to try and move into position to score not a full drive worth of time.

they would have needed two plays… That they seemingly got often when it mattered in the game. No difference.

they would have needed two plays… That they seemingly got often when it mattered in the game. No difference.

2 plays as opposed to full clock, you are on an island with that debate Im afraid.

I know the injury. Man, it sure affected that 52 yarder and him hitting the upright on a 57 yarder didn’t it? 

It affected his bad performance down the stretch, if you think not then you just think he became a below avg kicker. Not sure which you believe.

3 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

It affected his bad performance down the stretch, if you think not then you just think he became a below avg kicker. Not sure which you believe.

I didn’t say it didn’t. But it didn’t affect his game last night. He was booting them. He missed by inches on a 57 yard try. It was a risk. Steichen trusted and needed the guys that could score to deliver. They didn’t do enough. 

I didn’t say it didn’t. But it didn’t affect his game last night. He was booting them. He missed by inches on a 57 yard try. It was a risk. Steichen trusted and needed the guys that could score to deliver. They didn’t do enough. 

When a kicker has an injury they often have to change their kicking motion, doesnt mean they still cant boot it just not as accurate as when healthy so instead of down the middle or close (As we seen in Gay's stint with the Rams where he was 12 of 15 from over 50 as opposed to this year 8 of 13). So again no denying the risk was heavier and it burned him. Those numbers are correct I'll provide link.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GayxMa00.htm

4 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

When a kicker has an injury they often have to change their kicking motion, doesnt mean they still cant boot it just not as accurate as when healthy so instead of down the middle or close (As we seen in Gay's stint with the Rams where he was 12 of 15 from over 50 as opposed to this year 8 of 13). So again no denying the risk was heavier and it burned him. Those numbers are correct I'll provide link.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GayxMa00.htm

it didn’t burn him. Still had chances. Players didn’t execute. 

5 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

They scored with good field position so it 100% burned him

Nah. You are playing the what if game as if they would have punted. What if goes both ways. They could have still scored and it wouldn’t have mattered. Still had a chance to win and couldn’t because we couldn’t score. He was right at the time to try for the points and the lead. Points were low percentage to come by. That kick was damn near as high percentage of a look as we got last night.