Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2023 Week 17 All Around the NFL Game Thread

NFLfan

The Lions tried to hide Decker during his report by having another guy there and had Skipper running towards him.

If they just had Decker go report by himself instead of running 3 guys over there I'm sure they would of been fine, and left no room for confusion.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

The Lions tried to hide Decker during his report by having another guy there and had Skipper running towards him.

If they just had Decker go report by himself instead of running 3 guys over there I'm sure they would have been fine, and left no room for confusion.

Yep they were trying to cause confusion for dalllas and it backfired. Refs still can’t mess that up. 

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This could have cost a team that was on the edge a playoff spot. Luckily both these teams are playoff bound.

What could've cost the game?

Sorry, I didn't see the game but looking at ESPN play by play:

2nd & 10 at DAL 11

(0:23 - 4th) Amon-Ra St. Brown Pass From Jared Goff for 11 Yds TOUCHDOWN. J.Goff pass to T.Decker SUCCEEDS (negated by penalty), J.Goff pass to A.St. Brown FAILS (negated by penalty), J.Goff pass to J.Mitchell FAILS.

Looks like Lions made a mistake of not reporting Decker as eligible receiver, then passed him the 2-point conversion. If that's true, refs did a great job of Negating the play. Lions even had another 3rd chance after Dallas committed offside penalty on the second attempt that failed.

So, it looks like Lions just messed up and lost the game.

I don't understand what Albert Breer barks about "calling the Lions Liars"? 

3 hours ago, w87r said:

No, they can't. He clearly told them he was eligible.

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Yep they were trying to cause confusion for dalllas and it backfired. Refs still can’t mess that up. 

What if referee thought 70 is running towards him as you can see in the video. 70 isn't visible to us audience in the video, but if you take a look at closely, referee was first looking at 70 running towards him, even though 68 is closer to the referee and is visible to us in the video. When referee checked 70 and started moving, 68 talks to him, and referee could've considered only 70 as eligible. 

Basically as you @w87r said in another comment, Lions wanted to confuse the opponent by running 3 guys to the referee to report, it's possible referee got the wrong guy 70 as eligible when 68 ended up getting the pass.

Whose mistake is that? Is that referee's mistake that he got confused? Is that referee's mistake that Lions wanted to confuse only Cowboys and not the referee?

@2006Coltsbestever

I don't see it as referee's mistake. If Lions wanted to confuse, they succeeded in confusing everyone. They didn't succeed in 2-point conversion.

Alas! They lost.

Next time, don't try to cheat, maybe win by executing your play successfully!

Novel Idea 💡 I guess. 

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Campbell said he even talked to the refs before the game about this play. 

Campbell told referees that they'd run 3 guys to the referee to report but only one of them would be eligible?

I'm sure Campbell didn't.

They wanted to confuse. It doesn't matter if they had explained it BEFORE the game, all Lions needed to do was to report the eligible receiver BEFORE THE PLAY without confusion. They didn't. 

I'd say Good Job to the referees.

This kind of confusing and cheating in reporting eligibilities shouldn't be part of football.

Keep that to backyard for YouTube and TikTok videos. 

1 hour ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

What if referee thought 70 is running towards him as you can see in the video. 70 isn't visible to us audience in the video, but if you take a look at closely, referee was first looking at 70 running towards him, even though 68 is closer to the referee and is visible to us in the video. When referee checked 70 and started moving, 68 talks to him, and referee could've considered only 70 as eligible. 

Basically as you @w87r said in another comment, Lions wanted to confuse the opponent by running 3 guys to the referee to report, it's possible referee got the wrong guy 70 as eligible when 68 ended up getting the pass.

Whose mistake is that? Is that referee's mistake that he got confused? Is that referee's mistake that Lions wanted to confuse only Cowboys and not the referee?

@2006Coltsbestever

I don't see it as referee's mistake. If Lions wanted to confuse, they succeeded in confusing everyone. They didn't succeed in 2-point conversion.

Alas! They lost.

Next time, don't try to cheat, maybe win by executing your play successfully!

Novel Idea 💡 I guess. 

Lions got cheated. A novel idea would be the REFS getting it right at the end of games and quit deciding games.This has been going on all year with many teams. I have been listening too CBS Sports radio all night and everyone thinks the Lions got screwed. The hosts, the callers, etc.. When I say "everyone", that is not an exaggeration. That is like the 2 or 3 people in here that just blow off the Browns loss. Odd.

Decker said he reported in the post game. 70 didn't even need to report so yes the REFS screwed up again.

What did I miss? I turned the game off at halftime but I checked the score at some point and it was 10-7 Lions. What happened after that?

Did the refs cheat the Lions if a win again? It would be reminiscent of that Lions/Cowboys playoff game about 7 years ago when the refs made a call that took a game from the Lions. 

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

What did I miss? I turned the game off at halftime but I checked the score at some point and it was 10-7 Lions. What happened after that?

Did the refs cheat the Lions if a win again? It would be reminiscent of that Lions/Cowboys playoff game about 7 years ago when the refs made a call that took a game from the Lions. 

Basically lions had the lead. Dallas scored took the lead.,lions then threw an int. Dallas then didnt  run the clock after Lions int. So lions  got the ball back. Lion score a TD. They decide to go for win instead of thr tie with the two  point conversion., they send 3 players to the ref to report eligible to confuse Dallas. They get the 2 pts and refs say it was a tackle that did not report. Proof is he did report and refs called the wrong player ineligible so it did not stand. It was a tackle that caught the 2 pt conversion. Do lions got a penalty then missed the two point conversion just short when trying again.

• Thanks 1

I wanted the Lions to win, but they messed up. I can't blame the refs on this. Also coaching problems: Dan Campbell trying to be too aggressive and not settling for easy points backfired. Should have taken the field goal in the first half instead of going  for it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Lions got cheated. A novel idea would be the REFS getting it right at the end of games and quit deciding games.This has been going on all year with many teams. I have been listening too CBS Sports radio all night and everyone thinks the Lions got screwed. The hosts, the callers, etc.. When I say "everyone", that is not an exaggeration. That is like the 2 or 3 people in here that just blow off the Browns loss. Odd.

Decker said he reported in the post game. 70 didn't even need to report so yes the REFS screwed up again.

So, if refs getting right at the end of a game is a novel Idea, then every game will be rigged.

You're gonna bring up Browns game every chance you get, project upon every other issue and blame the refs. Like following the script. 

4 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

So, if refs getting right at the end of a game is a novel Idea, then every game will be rigged.

You're gonna bring up Browns game every chance you get, project upon every other issue and blame the refs. Like following the script. 

How would games be rigged if the REFS just make the correct call? 

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Basically lions had the lead. Dallas scored took the lead.,lions then threw an int. Dallas then didnt  run the clock after Lions int. So lions  got the ball back. Lion score a TD. They decide to go for win instead of thr tie with the two  point conversion., they send 3 players to the ref to report eligible to confuse Dallas. They get the 2 pts and refs say it was a tackle that did not report. Proof is he did report and refs called the wrong player ineligible so it did not stand. It was a tackle that caught the 2 pt conversion. Do lions got a penalty then missed the two point conversion just short when trying again.

Thanks, because I really don't even want to talk about it.

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think the video can be interpreted ways people want to see. 

@2006Coltsbestever

What I see in the video is

1. Ref is looking at the OL 70 is running towards him, even though two other guys including Decker is very close by. OL 70 signals something to referee. And, the referee thinks he's reporting eligible. You can see that if you're concentrating only on where referee is looking at.

2. Until this point, Decker doesn't report. This is where you guys get it differently. You wanna blame the referee for noticing the "wrong" guy, but the Wrong guy reported or signalled to the referee first by running towards the referee and signalling before Decker does. 

3. When Decker tries to report, referee is also moving on to next play because he's already thought 70 has reported eligible.

4. When Decker finally speaks to the referee and reports him as eligible, you can see the other guy close to Decker is completely blocking him from the referee as the referee has started to run to the next play. Guys blaming the referee are completely ignoring this. Because guys only see they want to see when they blame the referee.

5. So, Decker says he reported but you can clearly see his teammate is blocking him from the referee. I'm pretty sure that's where the confusion is, referee either didn't notice Decker or he doesn't consider the second guy who reported as eligible (Decker). Referee is following the Rule Book perfectly, when two OL are trying to report as eligible. He takes the first one he noticed reporting to him. 

6. What Decker and Lions should've done is, all 3 should go together to the referee and only Decker should've reported eligible and shown any signal at all to the referee.

They didn't do it properly, it's the mistake in execution.

Fans can cry all they want but if Lions wanted to confuse Cowboys and not referee, they should've executed it correctly. As simple as that. 

4 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I think the video can be interpreted ways people want to see. 

@2006Coltsbestever

What I see in the video is

1. Ref is looking at the OL 70 is running towards him, even though two other guys including Decker is very close by. OL 70 signals something to referee. And, the referee thinks he's reporting eligible. You can see that if you're concentrating only on where referee is looking at.

2. Until this point, Decker doesn't report. This is where you guys get it differently. You wanna blame the referee for noticing the "wrong" guy, but the Wrong guy reported or signalled to the referee first by running towards the referee and signalling before Decker does. 

3. When Decker tries to report, referee is also moving on to next play because he's already thought 70 has reported eligible.

4. When Decker finally speaks to the referee and reports him as eligible, you can see the other guy close to Decker is completely blocking him from the referee as the referee has started to run to the next play. Guys blaming the referee are completely ignoring this. Because guys only see they want to see when they blame the referee.

5. So, Decker says he reported but you can clearly see his teammate is blocking him from the referee. I'm pretty sure that's where the confusion is, referee either didn't notice Decker or he doesn't consider the second guy who reported as eligible (Decker). Referee is following the Rule Book perfectly, when two OL are trying to report as eligible. He takes the first one he noticed reporting to him. 

6. What Decker and Lions should've done is, all 3 should go together to the referee and only Decker should've reported eligible and shown any signal at all to the referee.

They didn't do it properly, it's the mistake in execution.

Fans can cry all they want but if Lions wanted to confuse Cowboys and not referee, they should've executed it correctly. As simple as that. 

We will have to agree to disagree. Decker flat out said after the game he told the REF he reported. If you think Decker is lying, I don't know what to tell you. You can defend the REFS all you want, IMO they have sucked all season and in big moments of big games. I have facts to back it up and most fans and players agree with me.

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We will have to agree to disagree. Decker flat out said after the game he told the REF he reported. If you think Decker is lying, I don't know what to tell you. You can defend the REFS all you want, IMO they have sucked all season and in big moments of big games. I have facts to back it up and most fans and players agree with me.

Can't you read the points I clearly timelined without getting emotional?

I said Decker reported. No one said Decker is lying, so you're not even following. 

Your post here says you clearly didn't read my points 

Decker reported, but the other guy 70 reported first, which you can clearly see in the video. And referee noticed that, and they both exchanged glances. 

Then, Decker started signalling and talking to the referee, by which time referee was moving on (as he should) and Decker's teammate stands in between the referee and Decker. Why? Decker is already late in talking to the referee, and the wrong guy signalled to the referee first and then when Decker reports, Decker and his teammate just acted like they're trying to confuse.

If Decker thinks he did it right, he'll get it wrong again if he does that again.

One important aspect in playing the game, especially a trick play like that, is getting every nuance perfectly so that you only confuse the opponent and not the referee and everyone else! 

• Like 1

This is why coaches like John Harbaugh and Bill Belichick are highly regarded.

When they design a trick play, they make sure their players execute it without a flaw so it perfectly confuses the opponent while taking the referees along the ride with them so that the play stands and the play gets exactly what the coach wanted as result.

Dan Campbell and Lions need to watch the tape and learn. They should stop crying foul, and practice - execute well next time they plan something like that.

As for fans, it doesn't matter. They wanna see what they wanna see. 

2 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Can't you read the points I clearly timelined without getting emotional?

I said Decker reported. No one said Decker is lying, so you're not even following. 

Your post here says you clearly didn't read my points 

Decker reported, but the other guy 70 reported first, which you can clearly see in the video. And referee noticed that, and they both exchanged glances. 

Then, Decker started signalling and talking to the referee, by which time referee was moving on (as he should) and Decker's teammate stands in between the referee and Decker. Why? Decker is already late in talking to the referee, and the wrong guy signalled to the referee first and then when Decker reports, Decker and his teammate just acted like they're trying to confuse.

If Decker thinks he did it right, he'll get it wrong again if he does that again.

One important aspect in playing the game, especially a trick play like that, is getting every nuance perfectly so that you only confuse the opponent and not the referee and everyone else! 

Emotional? chuckling homer simpson GIF

Did anyone guess that Arizona would win? I didn't expect this. The Eagles need to figure out things if they want to get anywhere in the playoffs. 

I wonder if Baltimore will do be as dominant during the playoffs. They might rest some players next week since they have locked up the division and #1 seed. 

• Like 3

I watched the Steelers-Seahawks game because I didn't want to see the many views of Taylor Swift and KC  commercials, even if them winning did help the Colts.  I can do without TS and Kelce in 2024. 

• Like 2