Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What say they put a “Spotlight”on winning?

Dingus McGirt

24 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Sorry.

Colts to spotlight mental health at December 31 game vs. Las Vegas 

but, I get it.

As someone who has Bipolar, this seems like a distraction tactic so they look good because our chances of making the playoffs are slim, Pittman may be out, and the Raiders are red-hot right now. It's a PR move to take some of the heat off the Colts if we lose.

I appreciate the thought, but I agree. Win the game.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not sure what this has to do with our game vs the Raiders?

If we lose to the Raiders, we are eliminated in all likelyhood (unless we win the division). This serves as a bit of a distraction. PR move basically. I have mental health problems and I don't like the timing of it. It seems to me the Colts recognize that we are a bad team without Pittman, and decided to use this as an opportunity to distract people that we have a good chance of being eliminated Sunday.

Of course, if this was already planned months ago, I apologize and admit I'm wrong. I've heard nothing of this until today though, which makes me think it was a spur of the moment thing. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If we lose to the Raiders, we are eliminated in all likelyhood (unless we win the division). This serves as a bit of a distraction. PR move basically. I have mental health problems and I don't like the timing of it. It seems to me the Colts recognize that we are a bad team without Pittman, and decided to use this as an opportunity to distract people that we have a good chance of being eliminated Sunday.

Of course, if this was already planned months ago, I apologize and admit I'm wrong. I've heard nothing of this until today though, which makes me think it was a spur of the moment thing. 

I thought Pittman was playing this week. He was cleared last week but had a relapse. We will see on him, I guess. 

Regarding the topic, I think we win this week, we are favored by 3 and at home.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I thought Pittman was playing this week. He was cleared last week but had a relapse. We will see on him, I guess. 

Regarding the topic, I think we win this week, we are favored by 3 and at home.

I hope he plays. Our season depends on it. 

If Pittman plays, we have a chance. If not, we don't. Simple as that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The suspense, this season is worse than a soap opera. not working homer simpson GIF

Yep. Between this and bestball, I've been broken down mentally. Hasn't been a fun year in all honesty besides a few select moments here and there. Making the playoffs would be worth it though, even if our chances in the playoffs are slim.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yep. Between this and bestball, I've been broken down mentally. Hasn't been a fun year in all honesty besides a few select moments here and there. Making the playoffs would be worth it though, even if our chances in the playoffs are slim.

If we win the Division somehow, that will make up for everything. The fact we haven't won it since 2014 is why. All teams have had major injuries, so we win it, we deserve it. Especially if we beat Stroud to get it.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

As someone who has Bipolar, this seems like a distraction tactic so they look good because our chances of making the playoffs are slim, Pittman may be out, and the Raiders are red-hot right now. It's a PR move to take some of the heat off the Colts if we lose.

Probably had already scheduled it on this date earlier or before the season. Definitely can't do it Week 18. Either that game matters (it likely will) and you don't want to distract...OR the season is over and less people will be there.

• Like 2

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we win the Division somehow, that will make up for everything. The fact we haven't won it since 2014 is why. All teams have had major injuries, so we win it, we deserve it. Especially if we beat Stroud to get it.

Yeah, I could see week 18 deciding the division between the Colts and Texans. Especially if Lawrence is out again and the Jags lose. Winning the division would be huge for the team, the fanbase, and Ballard to get that monkey off his back.

• Like 2

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

Yeah, I could see week 18 deciding the division between the Colts and Texans. Especially if Lawrence is out again and the Jags lose. Winning the division would be huge for the team, the fanbase, and Ballard to get that monkey off his back.

It would be a big game for this franchise and Ballard. Steichen may even get COY if we win the division. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I just did some research on this per Google. Colts have been doing this every late December since the 2020 season. So, this isn't anything new. This will be the 4th year they are doing this.

Exactly these things are largely PR orientated events scheduled before the season starts.  People see things they want to see and get worked up over them.  This is another nothing burger.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Everyone’s input is greatly appreciated.  I was simply opining that with the playoffs hanging in the balance … the entirety of the Indianapolis Colts Football Club should be laser focused on that, and that alone.  But then, I’m an old-timer and when it comes down to it - it’s football.

4 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I don’t see how this is an attempt as a distraction should the game go awry. 

1) I have no knowledge of this but my strong guess is this was already planned.

2) What is the tangible impact of having this “spotlight” on mental health?  How does it create a distraction?  Does Steichen preach the message to the team all weak?  Does it take away from game prep?  No - of course not. Should they lose will he say the Raiders kicked our butt today for sure but did you notice the good deed we did with the mental health thingy?  Does Gregg Doyle not rip them if a ripping is deserved because they had a mental health spotlight?

3) As a fan at the game on Sunday, whatever the spotlight looks like, I will say “good for the Colts.  They are doing a good thing.”  And then my entire focus will be on the game. Should Indy lose, I will be ticked at the loss and think not one thing about the mental health thing.  I imagine that sentiment will put me in the super majority. 

The reality is if one person in the stadium decides to get help and talk about their mentals from this effort, then it will be a resounding success and worthy of not being questioned for ulterior motives. Because there are none. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

gus d will have a hard time with stroud unless the concussion still affects him

3 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Everyone’s input is greatly appreciated.  I was simply opining that with the playoffs hanging in the balance … the entirety of the Indianapolis Colts Football Club should be laser focused on that, and that alone.  But then, I’m an old-timer and when it comes down to it - it’s football.

Life happens. I can watch a Netflix show after a long day of work. I can spend an hour playing board games with my family.  I can even go attend a 2 hour rock concert if I want. Maybe not all at once, but that’s life.

None of these would mean I don’t take my work seriously and don’t give 100% to it. These football players are the same too. Just because of this event, I see no reason whatsoever for their game focus or preparation impacted

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

They have been promoting mental health awareness the entire season.  They have been wearing shirts and hats promoting it the entire season.   This has been planned since the off season.  It isn't a distraction tactic at all

• Like 7

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

They have been promoting mental health awareness the entire season.  They have been wearing shirts and hats promoting it the entire season.   This has been planned since the off season.  It isn't a distraction tactic at all

Yep. And it’s not just the Colts, it’s been league wide with the message of “kicking the stigma”. 

• Like 5

On 12/27/2023 at 1:53 PM, jskinnz said:

2) What is the tangible impact of having this “spotlight” on mental health?  How does it create a distraction?  Does Steichen preach the message to the team all weak?  Does it take away from game prep?  No - of course not. Should they lose will he say the Raiders kicked our butt today for sure but did you notice the good deed we did with the mental health thingy?  Does Gregg Doyle not rip them if a ripping is deserved because they had a mental health spotlight?

It's almost like the Colts have an entire department dedicated to PR / engagement, and it has nothing to do with football operations... 

• Like 4