Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Shaq Leonard blasts the colts

Restinpeacesweetchloe

10 minutes ago, husker61 said:

How much of his contract are the colts on the hook for if he retires or cut and not picked up? Is there a difference?

He cleared waivers after the Colts cut him.   The Colts paid him the remaining 6 mill in guaranteed money

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I could see Leonard working on edpn as a commentator or some kind of analyst on tv. I think he would be good at it.

He will be on a roster next season.   1 year prove you're healthy deal is my guess

• Like 5

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

He signed the contract almost a full season before he was injured.  He was all pro the season after signing the contract 

He underwent ankle surgery but did play in 2021. In any event , any reasonably intelligent person would not be dissing the Colts for cutting him. He was terrible and proof of that will be his 2024 contract or lack of it.

• Like 1

Just now, dw49 said:

He underwent ankle surgery but did play in 2021. In any event , any reasonably intelligent person would not be dissing the Colts for cutting him. He was terrible and proof of that will be his 2024 contract or lack of it.

I had no problem with him getting cut this year.   But he had his best season after signing his contract in 2021

41 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I had no problem with him getting cut this year.   But he had his best season after signing his contract in 2021

I agree he was good in his first year after signing the extension. I guess you win some and you lose some. He was no doubt a great player and appeared to be a great teammate also. I just think he got a little carried away with the "chip on the shoulder" thing. 

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think so.  

that’s why I never liked giving new contracts before the old one expires unless it is for a big discount. The colts didn’t do that with Shaq or Richardson. Anything can happen in a year to a football player and most are bad and would favor the owner in negotiations. I mean, it is a business and has a hard salary cap rule.

1 hour ago, husker61 said:

that’s why I never liked giving new contracts before the old one expires unless it is for a big discount. The colts didn’t do that with Shaq or Richardson. Anything can happen in a year to a football player and most are bad and would favor the owner in negotiations. I mean, it is a business and has a hard salary cap rule.

Giving a new second contract with one year left in the rookie contract is standard procedure throughout the NFL.   All 32 teams do it.   You do it for Rookies who have outperformed their rookie contract and are dramatically underpaid.  

The Colts did it Luck and Hilton.  They did it with Q and Leonard and Smith and Hines.   All teams do it with their top players. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I could see Leonard working on edpn as a commentator or some kind of analyst on tv. I think he would be good at it.

Definitely could be wrong but I remember watching videos of Shaq and he was not fit for TV. Not very well spoken and everything is profanity laced. Maybe he has changed through the years bc many people do as they get older. 

12 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Yeah and then he changed his name and lost his edge. Now I’m not saying that the name change caused it. Just saying that Darius was a different player than Shaw. The timing of the name change just aligns with the downward spiral of his performance so it gives a good place as a bookmark I guess. Either way, whether from injuries, ego, or just natural progression, he’s not the same player he was when he signed that contract. 

Hmmm anyone else notice that from the time they signed Leonard to present, the eagles won just a single game, out of 7… they were 10-1 when they signed him, then the wheels fell off and they lose to Mayfield where Leonard didn’t even play a snap…

2 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Definitely could be wrong but I remember watching videos of Shaq and he was not fit for TV. Not very well spoken and everything is profanity laced. Maybe he has changed through the years bc many people do as they get older. 

He has done it before. It wasn’t profanity laced. 

6 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I remember a player, maybe Aaron Rogers, said that a LB for the cowboys was the best LB in the league AND leonard really didn't like that statement and commented on it. I think the player kinda backtracked to please him.and say something like he's never played against Leonard and the cowboy LB.was the best he's played against. 

49 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I remember a player, maybe Aaron Rogers, said that a LB for the cowboys was the best LB in the league AND leonard really didn't like that statement and commented on it. I think the player kinda backtracked to please him.and say something like he's never played against Leonard and the cowboy LB.was the best he's played against. 

Leighton Vander Esch? 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ColtV said:

Leighton Vander Esch? 

I think it was Fred Warner.

I think the LVE thing was rookie year, when LVE was a Pro Bowler but Leonard wasn't. Leonard wound up All Pro and DROY. By the way, LVE was really good. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Superman said:

I think it was Fred Warner.

I think the LVE thing was rookie year, when LVE was a Pro Bowler but Leonard wasn't. Leonard wound up All Pro and DROY. By the way, LVE was really good. 

Yeap, Rodgers said Warner was the best