Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts released Shaq Leonard

CR91

Just now, Tsarquise said:

Interesting. You have to have a team you like more though right? Who do you root for when they play each other? 

Oh the Colts without a doubt. 

I was two the first time I went to the Hoosier Dome back in 1990. Furthest back that I can remember is 1992. I was hooked, and blue became my favorite color. Loved the Colts ever since, but I’ve always supported the Bengals when they weren’t facing the Colts. 

Don’t worry, I’ll be cheering for The Shoe in a few weeks. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Bahaha, Olubi had more missed tackles than tackles (5 to 4) in the game he started instead of Franklin. Speed is a great run defender, but he's not good in coverage. Hope Harrison can be the answer there.

Speed has won us a couple games this year. Yes I count browns as a win lol. There was another game where he had a pass breakup to end the game

• Like 1

Just now, Solid84 said:

Bahaha, Olubi had more missed tackles than tackles (5 to 4) in the game he started instead of Franklin. Speed is a great run defender, but he's not good in coverage. Hope Harrison can be the answer there.

I still believe there will be no dropoff minus Leonard. And I expect at least a slight improvement in all areas, tackling, coverage, run support, sacks whatever. Perhaps I am wrong? But I think, at the end of the day, the defense will be better, regardless of who sees more time, be it Stuard, Olibi, Harrison, or someone else?

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If he asked for this I really dispise him for causing a distraction with 7 games left.

Ballard has sure  built a great culture with all these character draft picks he has made. Isnt this like the 3rd player who has wanted out in the last 12 months? Thank God he drafts character and guys with high RAS , because he is building one hell of a defensive team!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coming on strong said:

why not let him finish the season to see if he improves over time?   i just dont get the timing of this move , if he is still bad at the end of the year i would agree to cut him .  are we really saving that much cap space to cut him now ?  it bothers me to treat a star player like this and could hurt the locker room .

You’re talking about a “former” star who was no longer able to play up to his contract.  It’s rough, but probably best for all concerned.  Leonard was becoming a point of distraction and friction - the team’s management likely got tired of hearing guff from a guy still raking in good money - and not producing as needed.  Players know.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1959Colts said:

I still believe there will be no dropoff minus Leonard. And I expect at least a slight improvement in all areas, tackling, coverage, run support, sacks whatever. Perhaps I am wrong? But I think, at the end of the day, the defense will be better, regardless of who sees more time, be it Stuard, Olibi, Harrison, or someone else?

Hey, I'm not defending Leonard has had BAD moments this season. I just think it was too early to cut ties and I don't think they gave him a chance to prove himself at his best position.

Stuard has been down right bad on defense and in his one full game so was Olubi. For the sake of the Colts I hope it's going to be Franklin, Speed and Harrison.

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Ballard has sure  built a great culture with all these character draft picks he has made. Isnt this like the 3rd player who has wanted out in the last 12 months? Thank God he drafts character and guys with high RAS , because he is building one hell of a defensive team!!

Leonard did not ask out. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well….  Those facts aren’t clear to PFF.   They have Shaq graded comfortably higher than both Franklin and Speed.  I think it’s roughly 6-8 points better for Shaq. 

You’ve watched the games……tackles 6-8 yards downfield, running around blocks and generally looking slow diagnosing plays doesn’t impress me nor did it impress the team apparently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well….  Those facts aren’t clear to PFF.   They have Shaq graded comfortably higher than both Franklin and Speed.  I think it’s roughly 6-8 points better for Shaq. 

He was until the last game. He dropped below both 

Although, if memory serves me correctly Franklin was #61 and Leonard #62.

Speed actually jumped up into high 40's- low 50's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I feel like Harrison was a safety? If I'm thinking of the right guy, that may definitely help from a coverage perspective. 

• Like 1

Just now, Scott Pennock said:

Ronnie Harrison called up from the Practice Squad as a linebacker sounds like he and Cross may be used in some sort of third safety/linebacker hybrid role like a Kam Chancellor???? 

Or am I reading into things?

Wishful thinking probably and I'm right there with you on that.

• Like 3

Just now, richard pallo said:

I’ve moved on.  Let’s hope Speed continues to improve with more playing time.

Hopefully so. Some guys do well in spot play, but fall off a cliff when they're asked to play a large number of snaps. Here's hoping Speed keeps improving. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

You’ve watched the games……tackles 6-8 yards downfield, running around blocks and generally looking slow diagnosing plays doesn’t impress me nor did it impress the team apparently.

I like PFF, but I don’t love PFF.   I don’t live and die by what they say. 

I haven’t been impressed by Shaq’s play all season.    That said, I find it interesting that there is tremendous diversity of opinion on why Shaq’s play is so poor.  

1.   Blame Gus Bradley’s system.  

2.   Blame Leonard because he’s healed up but just not good anymore and will never be the same. 

3.  Leonard is healthy enough to play but not yet ready to be the old Shaq.   He might somewhere down the road, and he might never be. 

Lots of different opinions.   I’m mostly in camp 3. 

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Ronnie Harrison called up from the Practice Squad as a linebacker sounds like he and Cross may be used in some sort of third safety/linebacker hybrid role like a Kam Chancellor???? 

Or am I reading into things?

Chancellor meassured close to Harrison. Chancellor was 6'3" 225lbs, Harrison is 6'3" 214lbs. Cross seems a bit too small at 6'0" 212lbs?

Just meassurements - I don't think I've ever watched Harrison play a single snap. Hope he's what we need at LB.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, w87r said:

He was until the last game. He dropped below both 

Although, if memory serves me correctly Franklin was #61 and Leonard #62.

Speed actually jumped up into high 40's- low 50's.

Thanks.   I still find it interesting that it would appear that most here like Franklin but no longer like Shaq.   One is ranked 61, the other is 62. 

Just an observation that may only interest me and my unconventional mind. 

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Wasn’t meant to counter anything. Just info take it for what it is. 

What it is, is assumptions repeated multiple times in this thread by you. Then you post the tweet that pretty much states the exact opposite of what you've been regurgitating in the thread.

• Thanks 3

26 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Leonard did not ask out. 

He moaned and complained. He didn't want to be a part of this team. He failed to see that he was an over paid washed up player who was not taking any accountability. Read between the lines. You can say he didn't ask, but he did by his actions.

• Like 2

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks.   I still find it interesting that it would appear that most here like Franklin but no longer like Shaq.   One is ranked 61, the other is 62. 

franklin is good at tackles for gains i would like to see more tackles for losses from him

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

There are few things that are conventional around here.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I know what you are saying but I find PFFs rating puzzling. Thru 9 games that each has played Franklin has 117 tackles to Shaq's 65, 63 solo's to 29, 1 1/2 sacks to Shaq's 0 and 2 FF to Shaq's 0. I know Franklin has played more but if he played twice as much you would think Franklin was every bit as effective and to me he was much more effective as I Leonard was very ineffective most of the time. Just my opinion as I know PFF ratings has been questioned several time and I don't understand how they do there rating. Very unconventional I might add.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Interesting to see Harrison being listed as a LB because he was drafted as a Safety. 

I don’t really get the take from Hicks though because Leonard was still grading out as one of our best LBs and especially Olubi was grading terrible. 

• Like 2

Just now, Zoltan said:

Interesting to see Harrison being listed as a LB because he was drafted as a Safety. 

I don’t really get the take from Hicks though because Leonard was still grading out as one of our best LBs and especially Olubi was grading terrible. 

I thought it was some bad takes by Zach too.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Be careful not to get hurt while patting yourself on the back

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

He moaned and complained. He didn't want to be a part of this team. He failed to see that he was an over paid washed up player who was not taking any accountability. Read between the lines. You can say he didn't ask, but he did by his actions.

If any of us on this forum does not see through the Stephen Holder effect, Victim mode. Holder is absolutely the worse. Can fans fire him? ESPN, I’m calling for his immediate dismissal for poor performance! Just like the Colt’s held Leonard to his poor performance. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I like PFF, but I don’t love PFF.   I don’t live and die by what they say. 

I haven’t been impressed by Shaq’s play all season.    That said, I find it interesting that there is tremendous diversity of opinion on why Shaq’s play is so poor.  

1.   Blame Gus Bradley’s system.  

2.   Blame Leonard because he’s healed up but just not good anymore and will never be the same. 

3.  Leonard is healthy enough to play but not yet ready to be the old Shaq.   He might somewhere down the road, and he might never be. 

Lots of different opinions.   I’m mostly in camp 3. 

I’m in camp 3 and have been since I went to training camp. I even posted that he was looking really slow. 

• Like 1