Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

RUMOR: Titans: Tannehill asks to be released

Colt.45

Rob Gronkowski is urging QB Mac Jones to ask for his immediate release since the team obviously has no respect for him and his skill set.

Gronkowski also pointed out that the Patriots have mishandled Mac Jones during his maturation period in the NFL.

Can't say I disagree with him!!

That said - Gronk felt that Mac Jones could step in in Cleveland and help right the sinking ship with a better QB option than the two QBs they currently have on the roster.

44 minutes ago, ColtsGermany said:

Think there are a few teams hoping to snag him off waivers. 

Jets, Browns, Pats, maybe even the Falcons. 

The issue with the Jets is Zach Wilson AND Nathaniel Hackett. Till both are gone, no hope for them unless it is Rodgers overriding Hackett's called in plays because he can and will.

Browns would 100% love Tannehill, if they can get game manager production with timely throws that can rely on a D and do clock control and run on boot legs, he is your guy. 

Patriots - I think their sights are set on Caleb Williams or Drake Maye or MHJ

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The issue with the Jets is Zach Wilson AND Nathaniel Hackett. Till both are gone, no hope for them unless it is Rodgers overriding Hackett's called in plays because he can and will.

Browns would 100% love Tannehill, if they can get game manager production with timely throws that can rely on a D and do clock control and run on boot legs, he is your guy. 

Patriots - I think their sights are set on Caleb Williams or Drake Maye or MHJ

Hackett was hired because Rogers wanted him.   The jets aren’t getting rid of Hackett until they’re done with Rogers.  

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Is that a new rule?  Why would the NFLPA agree to that?

It's been that way for years. The great Peyton Manning went on waivers when the Colts released him in 2012. After the trade deadline, until the start of the new league year, everyone goes on waivers. 

It's probably a competitive balance thing, so Team A can't drop their backup QB who is going to be a FA, with the knowledge that he's going to sign with Team B, and help them beat Team C to decide the division at the end of the season. Obviously an extreme example, but that's to illustrate the point. They don't want teams to circumvent the trade rules with "timely" releases.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Superman said:

All players go on waivers after the trade deadline.

I read an article yesterday morning about how the Browns could have some back channel communications with the Titans, where they would guarantee making a waiver claim, so the Titans would save some cash. Now I'm sure more teams are in the fray 

Where as if he cleared waivers, which would be the case most years because of the cap hit, but too many teams need a QB now. Would be a smart fiscal move for the Titans 

Will be interesting to see. Can't remember how much it said they would save if they waived him and he was claimed? $12m, whatever is left of his base salary prorated over rest of season? Have to find the article.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

Add the Bengals now to the list of teams who could use Tannehill… :(:facepalm::grumpy2:

Is Burrow out significant time? I don't remember a year when so many starting and backup QBs have gotten injured and missed multiple games due to injury. The Vikings are on their 4th string QB (Cousins, backup Mullens, 3rd string/rookie Hall all out due to injury).

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Is Burrow out significant time? I don't remember a year when so many starting and backup QBs have gotten injured and missed multiple games due to injury. The Vikings are on their 4th string QB.

It's looking bad. He was already wrapping that wrist prior to the game. And then he made it worse. He could be out for a while, and by that point the Bengals could be 5-9, and out of the playoffs. He's been too hurt all year, it's time to just shut him down. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

It's looking bad. He was already wrapping that wrist prior to the game. And then he made it worse. He could be out for a while, and by that point the Bengals could be 5-9, and out of the playoffs. He's been too hurt all year, it's time to just shut him down. 

Any interest in Tannehill? He is serviceable and wants to win. I think some team will sign him, if waived.

5 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Any interest in Tannehill? He is serviceable and wants to win. I think some team will sign him, if waived.

If the Bengals want any chance to get back into the playoff race then I'd say they have to be interested. 

The biggest question is will the Titans just let him go? I could see them holding on to him in case Levis gets hurt. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

If the Bengals want any chance to get back into the playoff race then I'd say they have to be interested. 

The biggest question is will the Titans just let him go? I could see them holding on to him in case Levis gets hurt. 

I honestly think Mustache is as good as Tannehill is at his stage of his career. I doubt he would make that much of a difference. 

6 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

With the trade deadline gone it really sucks that we can't see something magical happen... 

... Like the Bengals getting Andy Dalton to play out the rest of the season LMAO. 

Dalton is who I thought of first, then I recall the trade deadline is over..

Bengals should just focus on having a fully healthy Burrow next year, without any nagging injuries, for a change. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Dalton is who I thought of first, then I recall the trade deadline is over..

Bengals should just focus on having a fully healthy Burrow next year, without any nagging injuries, for a change. 

The ironic thing is that is what we thought would happen coming into this season... 

"Oh Joe will finally go into the season healthy!"

And then his calf blew out in training camp... and it just snowballed... 

12 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

The ironic thing is that is what we thought would happen coming into this season... 

"Oh Joe will finally go into the season healthy!"

And then his calf blew out in training camp... and it just snowballed... 

Burrow talks to Tom Brady a lot, I heard. Maybe he should take up the TB12 method. 

4 hours ago, w87r said:

I read an article yesterday morning about how the Browns could have some back channel communications with the Titans, where they would guarantee making a waiver claim, so the Titans would save some cash. Now I'm sure more teams are in the fray 

Where as if he cleared waivers, which would be the case most years because of the cap hit, but too many teams need a QB now. Would be a smart fiscal move for the Titans 

Will be interesting to see. Can't remember how much it said they would save if they waived him and he was claimed? $12m, whatever is left of his base salary prorated over rest of season? Have to find the article.

For their trouble of saving the Titans some cap room, what do the Browns get? I understand they might be interested in the player, but is it worth the $12m for half a season of a veteran backup QB? If they wanted to save that cap space this year, they probably should have traded him before the deadline; they actually should have released him before the season.

I also wonder if he has any offset language in his contract. Probably not.

I don't know why anyone would claim him at that number. He hasn't been practicing before this week, and he hasn't been playing well for two years. So maybe he's right up the Browns' alley...

4 hours ago, Superman said:

For their trouble of saving the Titans some cap room, what do the Browns get? I understand they might be interested in the player, but is it worth the $12m for half a season of a veteran backup QB? If they wanted to save that cap space this year, they probably should have traded him before the deadline; they actually should have released him before the season.

I also wonder if he has any offset language in his contract. Probably not.

I don't know why anyone would claim him at that number. He hasn't been practicing before this week, and he hasn't been playing well for two years. So maybe he's right up the Browns' alley...

The Browns or whoever else would get a QB to help them try and make the playoffs. The Titans are on the hook for the money if waived and not claimed, so they really have no incentive to just waive him. But if a team was to get the info to them, that they would put a claim in on him, letting them know they can get out of some of the money owed. I'm sure they Titans might roll the dice.

Browns have the cap space to easily take on Tannehill's pro rated base.

Also, it's not like its just $12m cap savings this year for the the Titans, it will just rollover and can be used next year.

Now, I agree with you in most instances that Tannehill would pass through waiver. But with how many teams are in the hunt, good chance someone would put that claim in here.

Too many teams to potentially lose out to in FA, if he clears waivers. Put the claim in and secure him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, w87r said:

The Browns or whoever else would get a QB to help them try and make the playoffs. The Titans are on the hook for the money if waived and not claimed, so they really have no incentive to just waive him. But if a team was to get the info to them, that they would put a claim in on him, letting them know they can get out of some of the money owed. I'm sure they Titans might roll the dice.

Browns have the cap space to easily take on Tannehill's pro rated base.

Also, it's not like its just $12m cap savings this year for the the Titans, it will just rollover and can be used next year.

Now, I agree with you in most instances that Tannehill would pass through waiver. But with how many teams are in the hunt, good chance someone would put that claim in here.

Too many teams to potentially lose out to in FA, if he clears waivers. Put the claim in and secure him.

My push back is just that I don't think Tannehill is any good, so a team claiming him at $12m for the remainder of the season seems unlikely. I think the most likely outcome would be the Titans waive him, he clears, and signs with another team for minimum. And that's assuming they even waive him, which isn't a given.

No doubt that the Titans would love the cap savings.

• Superman changed the title to RUMOR: Titans: Tannehill asks to be released
1 hour ago, Superman said:

My push back is just that I don't think Tannehill is any good, so a team claiming him at $12m for the remainder of the season seems unlikely. I think the most likely outcome would be the Titans waive him, he clears, and signs with another team for minimum. And that's assuming they even waive him, which isn't a given.

No doubt that the Titans would love the cap savings.

I don't think much of Tannehill either but who do you take, while trying to complete a playoff run?

PJ Walker/Dorian Thompson or Tannehill

Jake Browning or Tannehill

Ridder/Heineke or Tannehill (prior experience with HC Smith)

Those are the only possibilities I see.

Falcons would have too waiver priority. They are what a 1 1/2 - 2 games out of 7 seed and 1/2 game - 1 game out of division lead.(going off recollection)

I would have to think Smith would love to bring Tannehill in. 

Same for Browns.

Makes sense for Bengals as well, imo, but they might just pack it in and roll with Browning and hope to secure a high pick.

Cleveland - $34m cap space

Cincy - $12m cap space

Falcons - $8m cap space

Cleveland is probably really the only one that makes sense, as the $12m wouldn't hurt too bad and they are 6-3.

3 hours ago, w87r said:

I don't think much of Tannehill either but who do you take, while trying to complete a playoff run?

PJ Walker/Dorian Thompson or Tannehill

Jake Browning or Tannehill

Ridder/Heineke or Tannehill (prior experience with HC Smith)

Those are the only possibilities I see.

Falcons would have too waiver priority. They are what a 1 1/2 - 2 games out of 7 seed and 1/2 game - 1 game out of division lead.(going off recollection)

I would have to think Smith would love to bring Tannehill in. 

Same for Browns.

Makes sense for Bengals as well, imo, but they might just pack it in and roll with Browning and hope to secure a high pick.

Cleveland - $34m cap space

Cincy - $12m cap space

Falcons - $8m cap space

Cleveland is probably really the only one that makes sense, as the $12m wouldn't hurt too bad and they are 6-3.

I think any of those teams would consider adding Tannehill to the mix, and now you have him as an option in your QB room down the stretch. I wouldn't mind having Tannehill as a backup in Indy. I don't know if any of those would immediately play Tannehill over the guys they already have. 

But my real question is whether any of those teams would want Tannehill for $12m. He'd be your 'break glass in case of emergency' QB for 8-9 games. I doubt anyone values him that way, based on how he's played the last year and a half, and add in his recent injuries. But I wouldn't put it past the Browns in particular.

And I guess it's all moot now since Tannehill says he didn't request his release.

7 hours ago, Superman said:

I think any of those teams would consider adding Tannehill to the mix, and now you have him as an option in your QB room down the stretch. I wouldn't mind having Tannehill as a backup in Indy. I don't know if any of those would immediately play Tannehill over the guys they already have. 

But my real question is whether any of those teams would want Tannehill for $12m. He'd be your 'break glass in case of emergency' QB for 8-9 games. I doubt anyone values him that way, based on how he's played the last year and a half, and add in his recent injuries. But I wouldn't put it past the Browns in particular.

And I guess it's all moot now since Tannehill says he didn't request his release.

Funny thing about the bolded.

The article I read preceded the alledged release request. The "request" came a few hours later 

As far as the $12m, it would be the only way to potentially obtain him. The Titans aren't going to release him, knowing they have to pay the rest of his salary if no one claims him. So signing to a contract after he would clear waivers isn't going to happen.

Only way I could see it going down, is back channel talks(probably secretly)letting the Titans know they would in fact make the waiver claim if he were to be released. 

$12m isn't too much if it can help you get to the playoffs. Whether is actually would is a whole other question though. Pretty much just talking about the Browns, since they are sitting at 6-3.

To be clear, I wouldn't pay Tannehill $12m for 8 games, I wouldn't pay him that for a whole season. 

• Like 2