Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

It's On to the Panthers: Indy vs. Carolina

RollerColt

5 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

i havent watched college all this year but when i see Bowers highlights and stats, he looks generational. Rated as maybe one of the most complete TE's to ever come out of college. Is he that good??

I thought he was very good last year and continued this year.  I guess he’s out for the year      Yes. I would say that.    

mh senior had tremendous speed.  If junior isn’t as incrementally as fast against dbs as his father, he’s just that much not as generational.  IMO 

But he me may be that real burner at 6’4.  And then yes he is too

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If colts don’t make a move at CB I bet Moore gets moved to the outside and Blackman or Cross move to nickle. Blackmon is already kind of playing that role anyway. Cross would then move in for Blackmon.

If they do ever decide to bench Brown, I think it's more likely they would try Lammons at CB

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

At this point play the guy we know can play out there. We need to see cross before end of year anyway with Blackmon being a FA. Blackmon played there last year some and was pretty good.

but why would you think they would play a safety at corner? I guess it's possible? But I highly doubt it.

Obviously, they must not be impressed with Cross

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

but why would you think they would play a safety at corner? I guess it's possible? But I highly doubt it.

Obviously, they must not be impressed with Cross

Blackmon was a corner in college. Nickle is not that different then the SS he is already playing. He is already playing close to the LOS..  he also played last year there when Moore went worn so he does have experience there. At this point we have one serviceable CB. 

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Last season and the year before we had a bunch of injuries in the secondary

this is what you get when it’s down to 4th and 5th stringers.  

I think corner is a position that teams need to load up on. It’s a passing league so the more corners who are good the better. Can’t have too many. Hope that is what we see in the future.

14 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

If they do ever decide to bench Brown, I think it's more likely they would try Lammons at CB

Brown has been benched since week 1 when he had an INT. Baker was benched after week 2 or 3 but brought back the last couple weeks because of injuries.

The problem with Brown as with Lammons, is they are best in the slot.

Brown has been rostered in case he needs to come in for Moore in the slot.

Moore has played to well in the slot,to move him outside, where he struggles himself. So you keep that position locked up while trying to fill the other outside spot 

I do like Lammons, he seems to make plays, give him a shot outside, give Speed a shot, bring up Hall from the PS.

Anyone but Baker or Brown outside please.

Hoping since they haven't put Brents on the IR, that they are hoping he will be back soon.

I'm ok with Jones out there earning his stripes.

Really crazy, unfortunate happenings in our CB room:

1. Gilmore (ask for trade + could use the extra cap space ourselves)

2. Rodgers (set to emerge, suspended for the year)

3. Flowers (starting to emerge, out for season)

4. Brents (starting to emerge, injured, TBD)

To still be left with Jones and Moore after all that, isn't too bad.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Blackmon was a corner in college. Nickle is not that different then the SS he is already playing. He is already playing close to the LOS..  he also played last year there when Moore went worn so he does have experience there. At this point we have one serviceable CB. 

I know he may have played corner in college. I do not ever remember him playing at corner for the Colts. But if you say he did, and looked good, then Ill go along with that. But Steichen said he never gave a thought to benching Brown. And if they make a change, I still believe it will be with a cornerback, and not Julian Blackmon

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think corner is a position that teams need to load up on. It’s a passing league so the more corners who are good the better. Can’t have too many. Hope that is what we see in the future.

Ballard drafted three last spring.  And Roger’s got suspended before the season.  

if teams load up and hoard corners. Then they are hard to find mid season.   

1 hour ago, Myles said:

For me, if the Colts lose to the panthers, I will be rooting for them to lose the rest of the way.  If they win, I will still hold out hope.  

In these mediocre seasons where the team is struggling for wins I think about 95.  I think the only home game won was against San Fran.  It was a dismal season.  

Then they squeaked into the playoffs and had major wins ending in one play away from the Super Bowl. 

I still hold out hope.  After Carolina that may dwindle.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Thomas played some CB too.

I think I would rather try him at CB before Blackmon, Blackmon is playing good where he is.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I know he may have played corner in college. I do not ever remember him playing at corner for the Colts. But if you say he did, and looked good, then Ill go along with that. But Steichen said he never gave a thought to benching Brown. And if they make a change, I still believe it will be with a cornerback, and not Julian Blackmon

Last year Moore missed the end of season and he played there.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

Brown has been benched since week 1 when he had an INT. Baker was benched after week 2 or 3 but brought back the last couple weeks because of injuries.

Moore has played to well in the slot,to move him outside, where he struggles himself. So you keep that position locked up while trying to fill the other outside spot 

I do like Lammons, he seems to make plays, give him a shot outside, give Speed a shot, bring up Hall from the PS.

Anyone but Baker or Brown outsidout

when the Colts signed Lammons I admit I had never heard of him.

(I believe he played for KC prior?) But then I watched as Lammons had a bad preseason. Got beat on several occasions. Which lowered my expectations. I suppose, as a last resort, he could be given a shot.

Just now, 1959Colts said:

when the Colts signed Lammons I admit I had never heard of him.

(I believe he played for KC prior?) But then I watched as Lammons had a bad preseason. Got beat on several occasions. Which lowered my expectations. I suppose, as a last resort, he could be given a shot.

I don't think Lammons had a bad preseason at all. Think you are confusing him with someone else.

He was making plays consistently, always around the ball. One of the main reasons he made the roster(albeit on the suspension list(wouldn't of, if not though), but he's still here now), was how well he played in the preseason. I actually think the suspension list helped him as well, gave us a free roster spot at a position of question going into the season.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Are you  and others are saying that if Ballard doesn’t make any moves to improve the team for this season then he is tanking?  I don’t see that as the definition of tanking.  I think any moves made this year would be about how the player fits into future plans. 

standing pat here isn’t tanking for a higher draft pick. Jmo.  

Understand (and I'm playing devil's advocate) - but if a GM can see obvious weaknesses in a team and does nothing to improve them - then what do you call that?  Isn't standing pat the same as saying we're satisfied with losing?

It's obvious that we don't have a pass rush.  Even with Grove we weren't pressuring the QBs.  Reportedly, Washington would take a 2 for Chase or Sweat.  If that's true, our 2 has to be one of the most valuable. 

Wouldn't either of those players fit into our future plans?  We have the cap, we have the draft pick.  Why wouldn't Ballard make that deal?  

I can understand not making a move for a CB.  Hopefully next season we'll be healthier.  But are we counting on a draft pick to improve the pass rush?  If so, we can use that draft pick right now.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Understand (and I'm playing devil's advocate) - but if a GM can see obvious weaknesses in a team and does nothing to improve them - then what do you call that?  Isn't standing pat the same as saying we're satisfied with losing?

It's obvious that we don't have a pass rush.  Even with Grove we weren't pressuring the QBs.  Reportedly, Washington would take a 2 for Chase or Sweat.  If that's true, our 2 has to be one of the most valuable. 

Wouldn't either of those players fit into our future plans?  We have the cap, we have the draft pick.  Why wouldn't Ballard make that deal?  

I can understand not making a move for a CB.  Hopefully next season we'll be healthier.  But are we counting on a draft pick to improve the pass rush?  If so, we can use that draft pick right now.

I get it.  It seems logical   It just seems odd that a team in our position would be buying players

isnt Washington in the same situation we are.  Would they not think that two edge players are in their long term future.  Why would they sell in that situation and we would be buyers. 

it probably comes down to which players the other teams want to offer for trade.   Too expensive for their production.  

53 minutes ago, w87r said:

Anyone but Baker or Brown outside please.

Hoping since they haven't put Brents on the IR, that they are hoping he will be back soon.

I'm ok with Jones out there earning his stripes.

Really crazy, unfortunate happenings in our CB room:

1. Gilmore (ask for trade + could use the extra cap space ourselves)

2. Rodgers (set to emerge, suspended for the year)

3. Flowers (starting to emerge, out for season)

4. Brents (starting to emerge, injured, TBD)

To still be left with Jones and Moore after all that, isn't too bad.

I think it's weird we brought Lammons up from the practice squad if both he and Brown both fit best in the slot?

Why not Hall or Speed?

10 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

Hope we lose. I want MHJ. 

It’s all about the ‘when’.  Right now, in this when, I want to win this game.  I want to win every remaining game too no matter our record and what it does to our draft position.  

Next May, no one will care if we lost this game if it improved our draft number.  

But this is now and I never want my team to lose.  I don’t understand that mentality.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Still sucks that we didn't get to see Richardson vs. Young. 

This could've been a very entertaining game... 

13 hours ago, richard pallo said:

The Bills have decided to move on from CB Kaiir Elam their former 1st rd pick from Florida a few years ago.  If nothing else materializes tomorrow I would trade for him and see if a change of scenery is all that he needed.  I’m reading a day three pick will do it.

Season 4 Reaction GIF by The Office

9 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

It’s all about the ‘when’.  Right now, in this when, I want to win this game.  I want to win every remaining game too no matter our record and what it does to our draft position.  

Next May, no one will care if we lost this game if it improved our draft number.  

But this is now and I never want my team to lose.  I don’t understand that mentality.  

The only game I wanted to lose was last year's HOU game, and they came through.  Because by then the circumstances were clear that it made a difference in draft position to get one of the QBs.

I don't get the idea of rooting to lose just to get a better chance at a positional player.  Top 15 is good enough for that between scouting and/or trading up or down for value.   

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The only game I wanted to lose was last year's HOU game, and they came through.  Because by then the circumstances were clear that it made a difference in draft position to get one of the QBs.

I don't get the idea of rooting to lose just to get a better chance at a positional player.  Top 15 is good enough for that between scouting and/or trading up or down for value.   

That loss got us Richardson without having to move up around Seattle. So many implications. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'd rather have better than top 15 because A.) There's almost no chance of winning the SB at this point anyway, so the idea is to either tank or win the SB. If we're not winning the SB, we should tank. B.) When you have a top 5-10 pick, you can not only draft an elite player, but you can also trade down and accumulate more picks which helps for the future. C.) Ballard doesn't like to spend in FA, so we need any edge we can get in the draft. D.) Ballard does better when he has a higher draft pick, look at 2018 and 2023 drafts. E.) Ballard is good at the draft. Generally he is bad at some positions, but with Richardson and our team improved some besides the secondary, we have a chance to make the playoffs next year if Ballard has a top 5 pick and Richardson is back. We can have another great draft, but we need an edge based on the way Ballard operates as a GM.

9 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'd rather have better than top 15 because A.) There's almost no chance of winning the SB at this point anyway, so the idea is to either tank or win the SB. If we're not winning the SB, we should tank. B.) When you have a top 5-10 pick, you can not only draft an elite player, but you can also trade down and accumulate more picks which helps for the future. C.) Ballard doesn't like to spend in FA, so we need any edge we can get in the draft. D.) Ballard does better when he has a higher draft pick, look at 2018 and 2023 drafts. E.) Ballard is good at the draft. Generally he is bad at some positions, but with Richardson and our team improved some besides the secondary, we have a chance to make the playoffs next year if Ballard has a top 5 pick and Richardson is back. We can have another great draft, but we need an edge based on the way Ballard operates as a GM.

All of this will probably happen if we just play hard and try to win.    I don't think we have to make any special effort to lose.  That's not being harsh, IMO. Teams that are thinking about tanking are not very good anyway.

As a fan, I still approach the Colts with realistic expectations.  but...

Can't get my mind around watching the game and hoping for a fumble, a pick, or bad plays.  Just can't do it.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

All of this will probably happen if we just play hard and try to win.    I don't think we have to make any special effort to lose.  Teams that are thinking about tanking are not very good anyway.

As a fan, I still approach the Colts with realistic expectations.  I expect the Colts to lose most games...that's my opinion of the team.  But I root for them to win.  When they lose, I'm not heart-broken because my expectations were pretty low anyway.

Can't get my mind around watching the game and hoping for a fumble, a pick, or bad plays.  Just can't do it.

Teams that are thinking about tanking generally don't have a franchise QB. We are in a weird situation where we possibly have our franchise QB, he's just out for the year. That's why this is a perfect time to take advantage and get a high draft pick. Then Ballard can either draft someone like MHJ, or trade down and supplement this team with draft picks for the next couple of years where we can build a team around Richardson and contend. This team isn't contending like it is. I don't think Ballard has enough of an edge to outdraft other GMs with a pick in the mid-rounds every round. He has proven to do so in the top 5 though. 

We get the high pick, get a great draft, and get Richardson back, ready to dominate next year. I hate giving up on the season this soon, but what do we do with Richardson out for the year and the team as subpar as it is? Can't have stubborn pride that will destroy our future.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Teams that are thinking about tanking generally don't have a franchise QB. We are in a weird situation where we possibly have our franchise QB, he's just out for the year. That's why this is a perfect time to take advantage and get a high draft pick. Then Ballard can either draft someone like MHJ, or trade down and supplement this team with draft picks for the next couple of years where we can build a team around Richardson and contend. This team isn't contending like it is. I don't think Ballard has enough of an edge to outdraft other GMs with a pick in the mid-rounds every round. He has proven to do so in the top 5 though. 

We get the high pick, get a great draft, and get Richardson back, ready to dominate next year. I hate giving up on the season this soon, but what do we do with Richardson out for the year and the team as subpar as it is? Can't have stubborn pride that will destroy our future.

Is this the Colts vs Panthers thread?

Thought of “tanking” is ridiculous.  Total loser mentality.  I can understand a “fan’s” perspective of preferring their going nowhere team to lose to better their draft standing, but to think the actual team would take on the total loser mentality of tanking, that would be deplorable. A team found guilty of purposely tanking ought to lose draft picks.  Didn’t the Dolphins just suffer that fate?

Tank talk basically disgusts me.  Know what else will disgust me?  If the Colts lose to the Reich led Panthers. <puke>  

Go Colts!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

What do you think our chances of winning are if we play hard?  

4 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Thought of “tanking” is ridiculous.  Total loser mentality.  I can understand a “fan’s” perspective of preferring their going nowhere team to lose to better their draft standing, but to think the actual team would take on the total loser mentality of tanking, that would be deplorable. A team found guilty of purposely tanking ought to lose draft picks.  Didn’t the Dolphins just suffer that fate?

Tank talk basically disgusts me.  Know what else will disgust me?  If the Colts lose to the Reich led Panthers. <puke>  

Go Colts!

Wow! Somebody that most likely played competitive sports and " gets it"

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Go Colts!

Show me someone that wants to lose,and I'll show you a loser.

• Thanks 1