Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

It's On to the Panthers: Indy vs. Carolina

RollerColt

Let's get this thread going to wash the last two games out of our mouths. 

It's Reich vs. Steichen. 

Colts will need to figure out some things on defense. We've allowed a whopping 229 points, and offenses have scored over 35 points on us for the last three games. 

We have to figure out a way to get to Bryce Young and to limit Thielen (if that's even possible). 

Look for it to be another shootout most likely. 

1 minute ago, JediXMan said:

If we lose to this team this forum will be lol.

Bob Esponja Fire GIF

It could very well happen. 

Reich knows Gus's defense front to back. Gus know Reich's offense front to back. 

This is going to be interesting to see. Not to mention, this 2023 Colts team seems to enjoy playing on the road. 

I think it would be humiliating if the Colts lose to Reich.  I have to admit, though, I am glad the Panthers won this past weekend, so at least if the Colts DO lose, it won’t be Reich’s first win.

Time to get back on the winning side of things, Go Colts!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Reportedly, the Panthers strategy limited HOU to only 9 offensive possessions all game.  Apparently , the new play caller is even less dynamic than Frank.

They were protecting their defense and it got them their first win. It is all about minimizing your weakness and giving your team the best chance to win. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Bingo. Everyone laughed at me in the other thread about running the ball more against saints because it keeps the score down.  

That is, if it can work. After running outside and doing pitches to run East West, which worked briefly, they went back to going down the middle where the strength of the Saints D lay. It felt like Reich running Hines down the middle. :) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

That is, if it can work. After running outside and doing pitches to run East West, which worked briefly, they went back to going down the middle where the strength of the Saints D lay. It felt like Reich running Hines down the middle. :) 

This is how we have beaten the chiefs. Will never forget the Brissett game. Steichen had no variation in his run calling plays yesterday.

• Like 1

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This is how we have beaten the chiefs. Will never forget the Brissett game. Steichen had no variation in his run calling plays yesterday.

But we were averaging 4-5 yards per run plays “down the middle” versus Chiefs. Yes, we could have definitely varied it as the game went on.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

What frustrated me most Sunday was the drive where we were running the ball down their throats, and you could feel the momentum on our side, then Minshew threw the lame duck to their CB in the endzone.

What happened to Run to Win?

Also - I know this comment belongs in the other forum - but it's obvious that we don't have a pass rush.  Why not trade our #2 for Sweat or Young?  We aren't going win this year with the depleted CB room, but we need to start building a team for next season. 

Okay, I'm off my soapbox now.

• Like 3

All that motion and not a single reverse for Josh Downs, would have been nice to put that thought in their heads.

We lack the gadget guys like a Shaheed or Hardman with speed plus an RB that could go catch wheel routes. It’s not like Hines had the hands to go with his speed. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

What frustrated me most Sunday was the drive where we were running the ball down their throats, and you could feel the momentum on our side, then Minshew threw the lame duck to their CB in the endzone.

What happened to Run to Win?

Also - I know this comment belongs in the other forum - but it's obvious that we don't have a pass rush.  Why not trade our #2 for Sweat or Young?  We aren't going win this year with the depleted CB room, but we need to start building a team for next season. 

Okay, I'm off my soapbox now.

All day, Minshew was taking underneath sure throws and suddenly decided to play hero with a range he isn’t accurate with that roll out INT.

The only way we lose to the Panthers is by turning it over a couple of times. We know they’re keeping it simple for their rookie QB.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

All that motion and not a single reverse for Josh Downs, would have been nice to put that thought in their heads.

We lack the gadget guys like a Shaheed or Hardman with speed plus an RB that could go catch wheel routes. It’s not like Hines had the hands to go with his speed. 

Im thinking that was Hull before he got hurt. 

24 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

what do you think would happen if they lost to Carolina? I 

You mean on this board?  

I think there will be a whole bunch of folks saying how we would have won if we only had AR.  Or if Gus was gone.  They may be right, IDK, but I predict that's what will be said.

Other than that, not much will happen.

You mean, like will Ballard or Gus be fired?  No.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

You mean on this board?  

I think there will be a whole bunch of folks saying how we would have won if we only had AR.  Or if Gus was gone.  They may be right, IDK, but I predict that's what will be said.

Okay, I'm in no way a conspiracy theorist, but...

If they continue to play Tony Brown on the outside...if they continue to keep Taylor out of the game when he's playing so well, if they continue to make "questionable" calls on O and D... and if they do nothing to improve the pass rush during the trade deadline... 

Then I have to wonder...is the Tank in effect?

They may be saying they want to win.  But doing those things is like saying I want to lose weight, but I'm going to continue my bad eating habits and not exercise.  They're smart enough to know it's not working.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DougDew said:

You mean on this board?  

yes ballard and gus.

• Like 1

If they continue to play Tony Brown on the outside...if they continue to keep Taylor out of the game when he's playing so well, if they continue to make "questionable" calls on O and D... and if they do nothing to improve the pass rush during the trade deadline... 

They may be saying they want to win.  But doing those things is like saying I want to lose weight, but I'm going to continue my bad eating habits and not exercise.  They're smart enough to know it's not working.

Certainly the FO can make decisions that are less than focused on winning any given season.  I think the coaches doing that during a game is unlikely.  The players would get wind of that much more directly and then you lose the locker room.

• Like 1

I do find it funny how people on this board want Harrison Jr. so bad. I am like you. I would pick Bowers 1st and then go after Higgins in free agency. This team could have let Taylor walk and then dont resign Pittman. They could over pay for Higgins but who cares if those 2 players are gone. Lattimore was on Pittman and nothing. He cannot beat man coverage and this talk of him being a number 1 is grossly over stated. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

I don't know if there is any reason to fire a GM mid season...unless he goosed Irsay's daughter or something.  I think players are still playing hard for Gus. 

Agreed and even though I don't like this scheme, Bradley hasn't got near enough talent to run the defense the way it should be run. No pass rushers and the secondary is atrocious right now., but we do have Franklin the tackling machine. People forget that in this defense, anyone playing Franklin and Leornard's position will get tons of stats. It is the nature of this D to flow the ball carrier to those guys 

• Like 2

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

I do find it funny how people on this board want Harrison Jr. so bad. I am like you. I would pick Bowers 1st and then go after Higgins in free agency. This team could have let Taylor walk and then dont resign Pittman. They could over pay for Higgins but who cares if those 2 players are gone. Lattimore was on Pittman and nothing. He cannot beat man coverage and this talk of him being a number 1 is grossly over stated. 

Just eyeballing, I'm not sure MHj is as physical as I'd want a top 5 pick WR to be.  I know he's tall, but he strikes me a bit too much like his father in that way.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Myles said:

For me, if the Colts lose to the panthers, I will be rooting for them to lose the rest of the way.  If they win, I will still hold out hope.  

The best I can see this team get is the last wildcard just to get clobbered by the Dolphins or Chiefs. I doubt they get it though imo.

35 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Certainly the FO can make decisions that are less than focused on winning any given season.  I think the coaches doing that during a game is unlikely.  The players would get wind of that much more directly and then you lose the locker room.

You're correct.  So, was playing Brown on the outside a coaches decision?  We have to assume so.  I'm not sure if that's an indictment on our coaches or on the GM for not having any better options.  (How about playing Brown in the slot, or just stay in base the entire game?  Or play Blackmon in nickel and bring in Cross.  It couldn't have been much worse)

So while I agree with you about the coaches not intentionally tanking, can we say the same about the FO?  Supposedly, there are two Commodore D-Linemen on the block.  Our D line pass rush is horrible.  If the FO doesn't attempt to improve it, are they negligent or in tank mode?  Is a 2nd round pick (and just go through Ballards latest 2nd round picks) more valuable than one of those guys?

I can understand the quandary at CB with injuries, etc.  But to ignore the fact that our pass rush is non-existent isn't acceptable unless the plan is to go for a higher draft pick.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Just eyeballing, I'm not sure MHj is as physical as I'd want a top 5 pick WR to be.  I know he's tall, but he strikes me a bit too much like his father in that way.

It is funny because when i  look at  Marvin Jr and then from what I remember of Harrison in terms of physical stature. I am like, I wonder how tall the mail man is????

20 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

You're correct.  So, was playing Brown on the outside a coaches decision?  We have to assume so.  I'm not sure if that's an indictment on our coaches or on the GM for not having any better options.  (How about playing Brown in the slot, or just stay in base the entire game?  Or play Blackmon in nickel and bring in Cross.  It couldn't have been much worse)

So while I agree with you about the coaches not intentionally tanking, can we say the same about the FO?  Supposedly, there are two Commodore D-Linemen on the block.  Our D line pass rush is horrible.  If the FO doesn't attempt to improve it, are they negligent or in tank mode?  Is a 2nd round pick (and just go through Ballards latest 2nd round picks) more valuable than one of those guys?

I can understand the quandary at CB with injuries, etc.  But to ignore the fact that our pass rush is non-existent isn't acceptable unless the plan is to go for a higher draft pick.

Are you  and others are saying that if Ballard doesn’t make any moves to improve the team for this season then he is tanking?  I don’t see that as the definition of tanking.  I think any moves made this year would be about how the player fits into future plans. 

standing pat here isn’t tanking for a higher draft pick. Jmo.  

6 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Reich knows Gus's defense front to back. Gus know Reich's offense front to back. 

This is going to be interesting to see. Not to mention, this 2023 Colts team seems to enjoy playing on the road. 

I got news for you. Everyone knows this defense. as it is simple to scheme

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

It is funny because when i  look at  Marvin Jr and then from what I remember of Harrison in terms of physical stature. I am like, I wonder how tall the mail man is????

He’s 6’4 but is built and even moves just like his dad.  Great potential.  But he ain’t aj brown with contested catches or physical yac.   Compare that to bowers  who can probably get open as often against linebackers and safeties.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Here is Frank in his offence with his coordinators. The Colts cannot pressure the qb so look for the soft zone as you will have all day. Now if they come with the blitz and go man, dont worry just throw deep cause their dbs cannot cover what so ever.  There, that game plan took me all but 2 mins to devise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

He’s 6’4 but is built and even moves just like his dad.  Great potential.  But he ain’t aj brown with contested catches or physical yac.   Compare that to bowers  who can probably get open as often against linebackers and safeties.  

i havent watched college all this year but when i see Bowers highlights and stats, he looks generational. Rated as maybe one of the most complete TE's to ever come out of college. Is he that good??

• Like 1