Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Players to Watch for 2024 Draft

First pick: Nabers, Odunze or Bowers - either possibly with a small trade up. If not possible then I think we're trading back for Franklin or Thomas or possibly a bit further back for Legette.

I'm wavering a bit on what to do with the first pick. I also consider DE a possibility or even a top LB because I think the defense has big needs. But, Superman brought up a good point. We need to figure out if AR is it. To do that we need the offense around him to be as good as it can be. That means investing in it. I'm leaning offense right now. If we somehow could trade up a few spots, land Bowers and still get a tier 2 WR with our second pick this would be my dream scenario.

I don't see us using our first pick on a CB at all when we play so much zone. Top CBs are man-CBs. Good zone-CBs can be had in the later rounds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

First pick: Nabers, Odunze or Bowers - either possibly with a small trade up. If not possible then I think we're trading back for Franklin or Thomas or possibly a bit further back for Legette.

I'm wavering a bit on what to do with the first pick. I also consider DE a possibility or even a top LB because I think the defense has big needs. But, Superman brought up a good point. We need to figure out if AR is it. To do that we need the offense around him to be as good as it can be. That means investing in it. I'm leaning offense right now. If we somehow could trade up a few spots, land Bowers and still get a tier 2 WR with our second pick this would be my dream scenario.

I don't see us using our first pick on a CB at all when we play so much zone. Top CBs are man-CBs. Good zone-CBs can be had in the later rounds.

I'm in agreement about the first pick.  Get the best offensive player you can.

However, for the 2nd pick, I'm "all chips in" on Tyler Nubin, S, Minnesota.  If there's a glaring hole in our defense, it's at free safety.  Thomas was a good story, 7th round guy from an Ivy League school making it as a starter in the NFL.  But his PFF score is dreadful.  And both Blackmon and Cross are strong safeties.  I'd rather have him, plus the first round offensive player.  Even if that player is a TE.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

However, for the 2nd pick, I'm "all chips in" on Tyler Nubin, S, Minnesota.  If there's a glaring hole in our defense, it's at free safety.  Thomas was a good story, 7th round guy from an Ivy League school making it as a starter in the NFL.  But his PFF score is dreadful.  And both Blackmon and Cross are strong safeties.  I'd rather have him, plus the first round offensive player.  Even if that player is a TE.

I could see us going all defense with every pick - that's how much I feel our defense needs talent. I've taken Nubin a number of times in my simulated drafts (Javon Bullard too). FS is an ABSOLUTE need. I just feel the right thing to do is give AR the best possible chance to succeed in 2024 and let the defense be what it is until 2025 possibly (letting whatever additions we make be FA additions in 2024).

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

What about that Cole Bishop guy, another Utah alum to pair with Blackmon from Utah? :) 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, chad72 said:

What about that Cole Bishop guy, another Utah alum to pair with Blackmon from Utah? :) 

I'll be honest, I haven't scouted Cole Bishop yet.  But here's what I know from a quick comparison of their Sports Reference stats.

They have nearly identical height/weight builds.  Nubin is a 5th year senior.  Bishop is coming out after his third year.

Comparing three-year stats

Nubin 36 games, 160 tackles, 109 solo, 4 tackles for loss, 12 interceptions, 9 passes defended

Bishop 36 games, 197 tackles, 117 solo, 21.5 tackles for loss, 3 interceptions, 12 passes defended

Just comparing the stats, I would have pegged Bishop as more of a strong than free safety, even though he's listed as one.  He's more involved in the tackles, especially close to the line where he can get tackles for loss.  Nubin plays back, and is more productive in the turnover game, with 12 interceptions.

Will be interesting to see how they match up at the combine.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I'll be honest, I haven't scouted Cole Bishop yet.  But here's what I know from a quick comparison of their Sports Reference stats.

They have nearly identical height/weight builds.  Nubin is a 5th year senior.  Bishop is coming out after his third year.

Comparing three-year stats

Nubin 36 games, 160 tackles, 109 solo, 4 tackles for loss, 12 interceptions, 9 passes defended

Bishop 36 games, 197 tackles, 117 solo, 21.5 tackles for loss, 3 interceptions, 12 passes defended

Just comparing the stats, I would have pegged Bishop as more of a strong than free safety, even though he's listed as one.  He's more involved in the tackles, especially close to the line where he can get tackles for loss.  Nubin plays back, and is more productive in the turnover game, with 12 interceptions.

Will be interesting to see how they match up at the combine.

Yep, looks like Cole is another Blackmon.

Javon Bullard of Georgia seems like the hybrid corner/free safety type of player like Brian Branch that the Lions got.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Solid84 said:

He looks good, but this is textbook Pittman stuff. I just don't see us taking Coleman if we keep Pittman. They are both Xs.

Now, if we let Pittman walk (and I think that's a big if) we could take a look at Coleman, but aren't we just right back at square one then?

Coleman may have more upside to also be able to play vertically. It will depend on how he tests. Pittman just isn’t a vertical guy. Speed aside, Coleman has better ball skills and can win the 50-50 ball. He’s similar to Mike Williams in that regard.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 11:43 AM, Defjamz26 said:

If there’s a guy at a position group that isn’t necessarily a major need, but to me is an elite underrated talent is Jackson Powers-Johnson. He’s the center at Oregon and he’s got it all. Size at 6’3” 320, athletic, cerebral (makes all the line calls), can get out in space, motor, power, etc… I’d honestly take him in the 2nd round. Ryan Kelly can’t play forever and is injured frequently. Way higher ceiling than Wesley French as well. Could start at center as well. He’ll be at the Senior Bowl. I like him as much as I liked John Michael-Schmitz last year.

This is a guy you draft now and play later.

I've been pretty high on him as well for exactly those reasons. He's our C of the future, could give Fries competition at RG in the meantime, and at the very least can provide depth at C, LG, and RG. I'd take him in the 2nd, maybe a trade up into the later part of the 2nd.

On 1/15/2024 at 11:28 AM, Solid84 said:

I'm wavering a bit on what to do with the first pick. I also consider DE a possibility or even a top LB because I think the defense has big needs.

If his medical check out, I'd jump on Payton Wilson in the 2nd. 6'4 243lb LB that flies around the field, is a tackling machine, and is great in coverage. He'll be at the Senior Bowl, so a solid chance his stock rises if he shows out.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Shive said:

If his medical check out, I'd jump on Payton Wilson in the 2nd. 6'4 243lb LB that flies around the field, is a tackling machine, and is great in coverage. He'll be at the Senior Bowl, so a solid chance his stock rises if he shows out.

Wilson is another one I like. Doesn’t play a premium position but he’s a premium player. We have a need for a LB with his coverage ability. As much as I love Zaire, he’s really limited athletically.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Shive said:

I've been pretty high on him as well for exactly those reasons. He's our C of the future, could give Fries competition at RG in the meantime, and at the very least can provide depth at C, LG, and RG. I'd take him in the 2nd, maybe a trade up into the later part of the 2nd.

Wilson looks amazing. There's a red flag when it comes to his health, but he's old school off-ball LB size, but plays modern football. I like him A LOT. I think Ballard would take Edgerrin Cooper because, you know, RAS, but I'd take Wilson in a heartbeat.

Sitting at 15 I really like Franklin for WR. Has speed, agility, good route running and really like the way he attacks the ball. Reminds me of St. Brown. I think he could replace Pittman with upside if that's the route we decide on. Which brings me to the thought process of should we tag Pittman and trade him?

• Like 1

On 1/15/2024 at 12:08 PM, chad72 said:

Yep, looks like Cole is another Blackmon.

Javon Bullard of Georgia seems like the hybrid corner/free safety type of player like Brian Branch that the Lions got.

Cole Bishop is 6 2"

And can run

He might be there in round 3

I would be happy if we went CB, WR, FS with first 3 picks

Then trade back into 3 and get one of 2-3 LBs

AND

Spend the $$$ on Hunter at DE

The Vikings are a bit stuck, because they have to resign a top WR, a QB,  AND a star DE

My bet is they keep the young WR

My bet is they keep Cousins

My bet is they let go of Hunter at 29 years old

3 hours ago, twfish said:

Sitting at 15 I really like Franklin for WR. Has speed, agility, good route running and really like the way he attacks the ball. Reminds me of St. Brown. I think he could replace Pittman with upside if that's the route we decide on. Which brings me to the thought process of should we tag Pittman and trade him?

The experienced talking heads mocks have Franklin going 5-15 picks later

IMHO.......I think CB MIGHT trade back 5-10 spots for more picks,

Franklin would be a fantastic pick (IMHO) late in round 1,early 2

I am not really tied into any one player.

If we could get a combination of any of these guys, I would be very happy

Round 1

Latu -  DE

Cooper Dejean - CB

Koolaid - CB

Nate Wiggens - CB

Odunze - WR

Bowers - TE

(If tradeback to later 1)

Brian Thomas - WR

Troy Franklin - WR

AD Mitchell - WR

Round 2

TJ Tampa - CB

Quinion Mitchell - CB

X Leggett - WR

X Worthy - WR

I think the odds are strong that CB trades back in the first to get an additional late 2nd or early third

We need

WR

CB

LB

FS

There are a few good ones here

From a simulator...... very fun to play with, two trade backs

image.png.210e23c7f9b54ab77733297c996436b3.png

• Like 1

I’m coming onto AD Mitchell now too. Watched him a bit through the season. Now studying his tape, and I’dput him over the next tier of receivers. If you think about it, the next cluster of receivers all have question marks in key areas:

Coleman- Long speed/separation 

Thomas: Route running/versatility

Franklin: Thin frame/versatility

AD does well in the areas where those guys are weak/questionable at

-He’s faster than Coleman, although not as fast as Thomas and Franklin

-He’s easily the best route runner out of the 3 as he’s shown advanced skills in that area

-He’s bigger than Franklin who is listed at 6’3” 187. AD is listed at 200 lbs.

Again, if Coleman tests well he’ll be my WR4, but AD is until the Combine. I think Brian Thomas and Franklin are more or less the same.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

He may be more of a slot/gadget guy in the NFL but Western Ky seemed to move him all over the field. 

I believe he is at the senior bowl this year. Someone to keep an eye on. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I’m coming onto AD Mitchell now too. Watched him a bit through the season. Now studying his tape, and I’dput him over the next tier of receivers. If you think about it, the next cluster of receivers all have question marks in key areas:

Coleman- Long speed/separation 

Thomas: Route running/versatility

Franklin: Thin frame/versatility

AD does well in the areas where those guys are weak/questionable at

-He’s faster than Coleman, although not as fast as Thomas and Franklin

-He’s easily the best route runner out of the 3 as he’s shown advanced skills in that area

-He’s bigger than Franklin who is listed at 6’3” 187. AD is listed at 200 lbs.

Again, if Coleman tests well he’ll be my WR4, but AD is until the Combine. I think Brian Thomas and Franklin are more or less the same.

Legette?  I see you don't have him in the next tier.

2 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Legette?  I see you don't have him in the next tier.

I’d put him in Tier 3. And it’s for a few reasons

-5th year Senior who basically had zero production until this year. Was mostly a teams guy. 1 year wonder basically

-The tier 2 guys show some signs of nuance in their games. I don’t see any with Legette. Mostly a speed guy with good size

-Is he just Alec Pierce? Big fast guy, who can take the top of the defense, but not much else. Although he’s more physical than Pierce and can make contested catches.

-His best games this past season didn’t come against the best team. He went over 100 yards against Jacksonville State, Furman, Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, and Florida. He played Missouri who has two corners who might be top 100 picks and was held to 1 catch for 20 yards. Tennessee and Texas A&M also shut him down.

-I also wonder if he’s 4.3 fast given the Metcalf comps. If he’s not in that elite speed range, then that drops him even more. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Could Emeka Egbuka, WR, Ohio State be used outside or is he solely slot WR? He's supposedly really fast and is in the top when it comes to separation and a beast vs. zone coverage.

Gotta take him off of your board.  Egbuka announced last week that he was staying for his senior year at OSU.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Gotta take him off of your board.  Egbuka announced last week that he was staying for his senior year at OSU.

Him and just about every other notable prospect from OSU lol. I think only Marv, Cade, and Hall are coming out.

2 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Thank you, didn't know that! Guess he's betting he can rise into the 1st round next season with Harrison, Odunze and Nabers gone.

Just now, Solid84 said:

Thank you, didn't know that! Guess he's betting he can rise into the 1st round next season with Harrison, Odunze and Nabers gone.

Or, rather, he can now be the primary receiver on his own team now that Marvin 2.0 is gone.

• Like 1

This is an entire thread this guy did on Keon Coleman. Theres film breakdown where he addresses the notion that Coleman can’t separate. Also shows the nuance he already has in his release packages and routes. The comp he gives is Brandon Marshall and it’s the second time I’ve seen someone use that comp.

The Indianapolis Colts, among other NFL teams, also reportedly met with Troy cornerback Reddy Steward and Northern Illinois defensive tackle James Ester at the recent Hula Bowl in Orlando, Florida (via draftguyjimmy):

Edited out tweet, was way to long.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.stampedeblue.com/platform/amp/2024/1/21/24045828/report-colts-recently-met-with-troy-cb-reddy-steward-northern-illinois-dt-james-ester-at-hula-bowl

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, KB said:

Jalen McMillan and Roman Wilson are two interesting prospects for Z type WR. Will need some work but they're both promising.

The more I look into him, the more I'm convinced this is exactly who we need. Odunze has overshadowed him. IMO, this was the best WR at Udub (what the school is called here). Give him a year in an NFL S&C program, along with some time with coach Wayne and we got the WR1 everyone wants to go with Pittman.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KB said:

The more I look into him, the more I'm convinced this is exactly who we need. Odunze has overshadowed him. IMO, this was the best WR at Udub (what the school is called here). Give him a year in an NFL S&C program, along with some time with coach Wayne and we got the WR1 everyone wants to go with Pittman.

I still think Odunze is arguably the best receiver in the class. The other receivers he played with were good, but Odunze had a better season than MHJ. He was unstoppable against every team they played. I also think Polk is better than McMilan.

38 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I still think Odunze is arguably the best receiver in the class. The other receivers he played with were good, but Odunze had a better season than MHJ. He was unstoppable against every team they played. I also think Polk is better than McMilan.

To each their own. I think Polk has a high ceiling but will need alot of work on his technical aspects. Will need to ride the bottom of a roster while not providing much to special teams. Odunze is gifted no doubt. 

If McMillian was healthy the whole year i can garuntee he would of had his second 1000 yard receiving season. He is fast and knows how to run his routes to create space. The biggest thing that will keep him from being a Z or WR1 is get off from the line against press coverage. If he dosnt improve there he is stuck to the slot or lined up behind an X receiver. There's also the injury. His combine will provide alot of info.

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

MHJ had an average, very average QB throwing to him

MHJ is being spoken of as generational talent.... I agree

If Odunze is there at 15, I would have trouble passing on him though

He is a great talent

20 hours ago, KB said:

Jalen McMillan and Roman Wilson are two interesting prospects for Z type WR. Will need some work but they're both promising.

Jalen McMillan looks promising

As an Ohio State fan, I am not allowed to watch any Michigan tape  :)

I KNOW we need that missing WR piece , but it would sure be nice to use round 1 on a CB and round to on that much needed FS

We have major holes on the defense

I am starting to want to go after Bryce Huff a FA DE that was playing for the Jets last year

As a part time player, he was 3rd in the league in pressures and had 10 sacks

Spotrac has him at 15M to resign

The Jets dont have the cap space, and chose to not resign him this year

He is 25 years old, so we can build a career here

22 hours ago, NorthernColt said:

Haven't seen much buzz about him, but love his tape. I get a great feeling about him. Would be a stud in our defense.

i havent either but i do like what im reading about him, heres a little writeup from walterfootball

"Despite missing time due to injury, Kinchens was incredible in 2023, showing he is an elite ball-hawking safety with amazing instincts and playmaking ability. On the year, Kinchens totaled 59 tackles, a sack, five passes batted and five interceptions. He broke out in 2022 with six interceptions, five passes defended, 59 tackles and a forced fumble. The 5-foot-11, 202-pounder has a great skill set and serious ball skills. Kinchens is athletic and rangy, so he could play single-high deep free safety for the NFL. Sources also said Kinchens is great off the field."

i also like cooper dejean, or one of the top CBs or Edge guys, i dont think WR is as big of a need as people are making it out to be, but i would have a hard time passing up one of the stud WRs if he falls to us

• Like 1